Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drifting to the side and yaw
1934 13 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarkZero
Second Officer
Flight distance : 923127 ft
Australia

I have a P4A and it is rock solid, for work we purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum. I have done some flights with it and it is horrible, twitchy and has this drifting issue.
Hovering it will move all over the place, slowly but still drifts so taking photos is a pain. Flying forward is near impossible as it starts to rotate on the yaw, do a point of interest and it does more of an oval.

Any ideas? is it GPS issues known to Tasmania (Australia) is it the RPA? Is it weather, Cloud cover, slight breeze... this thing is fun to fly but it just doesn't go where you want it to.

Any help would be great.
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Do you have Downward Vision Positioning enabled?  

Have you checked to make sure all props are of same Type?  (No mismatches, like two standard props with two quiet props or two standard props with two cage props.)
Also checked that props with white circles are on motors with white circles.

Have you calibrated Mavic Pro's IMUs?

Might be worth checking calibration of Mavic Pro's compasses.

How many GPS satellites is Mavic Pro receiving?

What firmware revision is Mavic Pro currently running?

2018-5-30
Use props
DarkZero
Second Officer
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-30 21:15
Do you have Downward Vision Positioning enabled?  

Have you checked to make sure all props are of same Type?  (No mismatches, like two standard props with two quiet props or two standard props with two cage props.)

Yes all vision systems are enabled
Props are factory, what was installed when i removed it from the box.
Calibrated IMU and Compass
16 satellites
Latest firmware as of 25/05/2018

I can try a fresh set of props (it came with a heap, fly more pack)
2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

DarkZero Posted at 2018-5-30 21:24

I can try a fresh set of props (it came with a heap, fly more pack)

Couldn't hurt to try.  Only takes a few minutes to replace props.

2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Latest firmware as of 25/05/2018

On Mavic Pro that should be Firmware revison .300.  Unless GO-4 app and DJI Assistant I have missed an update.
Only problem I have seen with Firmware revision .300 is pixelation issues with Live view shown on GO-4 app running on CrystalSky.
Ended up backing off to .200, and pixelation problem went away.

Your problems are completely different.  Not to rub it in, Mavic Pro P I have does a very stable hover.
It does sound like your Mavic Pro P has some sort of problem.

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion as to cause?  

2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Yes all vision systems are enabled.  

Not likely, but make sure nothing is partially covering one of vision sensors.  I read a post on another forum where some dust on downward (bottom) sensor had caused hover problems.

Vision positioning sensors can have problems hovering in areas where there is no obvious targets to use for reference or there is same repeating pattern.  

But drone should still fly straight.  Which points to multiple problems or entirely different problem than vision sensors.

2018-5-30
Use props
DarkZero
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks for the quick replies and the ideas on some things to check, its a pain.
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Dark, since you had calibrated the IMU and compass, propellers are not damaged, could you please try to fly in an open wide area. Of the issue persists, if it is convenient, please provide us with a short original video on the drone for further checking, you can upload to Dropbox and paste the link here. Thank you.
2018-6-3
Use props
DarkZero
Second Officer
Australia

Will do THOR, thanks.
2018-6-3
Use props
DarkZero
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-3 22:54
Dark, since you had calibrated the IMU and compass, propellers are not damaged, could you please try to fly in an open wide area. Of the issue persists, if it is convenient, please provide us with a short original video on the drone for further checking, you can upload to Dropbox and paste the link here. Thank you.

Hi Thor i think i have found the issue after calibrating everything i noticed the camera is slightly to the right. Nothing in the software can fix the issue. Any idea how i can fix this?

2018-6-6
Use props
DarkZero
Second Officer
Australia

Update as i did some searching after posting this and found this advice from DJI Natalie?

Please power it off , then hold gimbal by your hand and rotate it to the left until it reaches its limit for several time since your camera is tilted to the right slightly.
Then please calibrate gimbal with the drone sitting on it's back, so the camera is pointing to the sky directly (assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).

This has fixed it
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DarkZero Posted at 2018-6-6 19:17
Update as i did some searching after posting this and found this advice from DJI Natalie?

Please power it off , then hold gimbal by your hand and rotate it to the left until it reaches its limit for several time since your camera is tilted to the right slightly.

I assumed you found this thread in Phantom category, right? It's good to know that it works for you.
2018-6-6
Use props
DarkZero
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-6 21:09
I assumed you found this thread in Phantom category, right? It's good to know that it works for you.

Correct, thanks for all your help everyone. Great community!
2018-6-6
Use props
Mark Mathias
lvl.1

I'm having a similar problem with Yaw drift.  See:  https://youtu.be/LsD8OlcK1pU.  That video was taken with the DJI Mavic Air just after takeoff, no hands on the controls.    I did calibrate the IMU, which seemed to slow down the drift, but not eliminate it.  Note that during the calibration, I observed a typical 2-7% yaw rotation.  See photo below indicating 6%.  .  What can be done to identify and remedy the situation?
2019-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules