Compass / GPS Location Mavic Pro & Air
6346 14 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Does anyone know where the GPS/Compas is physically loacted in the MP/MA, ( I am assuming it is in the nose of the AC ), finally sorted out a good spot to attach my Trackimo to my Phantoms, now trying to find a spot on the Mavic series, would prefer mounting it on the top for best satelitte signal but do not want to interfere with the drones GPS.
2018-5-31
Use props
Albatros24
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116010 ft

lok at this picture :
3.jpg

but I think the compass is in the back ! Good flights !
2018-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for the information. I just want to inform you that using a 3rd party device might affect the performance of the drone and might void the warranty of the drone. Have a safe flight everyone.
2018-5-31
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

There is two one is located in the rear and one in the front.  Have a look here.  https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... in-the-mavic.19726/
As quoted from someone in that thread    [size=14.6667px]Compass 1 is mounted on the GPS Board under the plate on the upper shell at the rear, so the GPS has to be replaced too, plugs in though.
[size=14.6667px]Compass 2 is mounted right at the front centre
2018-5-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-31 08:27
There is two one is located in the rear and one in the front.  Have a look here.  https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... in-the-mavic.19726/
As quoted from someone in that thread    Compass 1 is mounted on the GPS Board under the plate on the upper shell at the rear, so the GPS has to be replaced too, plugs in though.
Compass 2 is mounted right at the front centre

Thanks SB, that answered my question, mainly for the GPS which is located at the rear of the AC, want to mount a Trackimo on the top and didn't want it sucking up all the signal if I placed it directly over the receiver. I think dead center on the battery to allow prop clearance will be my best bet. Much Appreciated!
2018-5-31
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

thanks for the info Sparks bird
2018-5-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Mounted the Trackimo on the MP today, did a test flight around the neighborhood, tracked great reporting location every minute, no GPS or compass errors. Used industrial strength self adhering velcro to mount it, solid as a rock. I can even pick the MP up by the Trackimo without it letting loose at all. Will put it to the test (Sport Mode) this weekend.

2018-5-31
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-31 14:33
Mounted the Trackimo on the MP today, did a test flight around the neighborhood, tracked great reporting location every minute, no GPS or compass errors. Used industrial strength self adhering velcro to mount it, solid as a rock. I can even pick the MP up by the Trackimo without it letting loose at all. Will put it to the test (Sport Mode) this weekend.

[view_image]

Looks very solid and will help if ever needed.  I am considering getting the PingGPS which is similar.  What is cool about PingGPS is it will only turn on when you need it to so not wasting unneeded battery.  Like also how small it is and weighs only 25g.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=150616
How long is the battery good for on the Trackimo?
2018-5-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Thanks SB, just read Dirty Birds review, looks like they do the same thing, I paid $119 ( On Sale for 1 day ) w/ 1 year free service the Trackimo weighs in at 42g, MP didn't even notice it, I'm pretty sure there is enough prop clearance on the MA to mount it in the same way. Battery will last minimum of 48 hours reporting every 3 minutes, and a maximum of 36 hours reporting every 1 minute. Charges up from Low Battery Warning to full in around 2 hours with micro USB/MicroUSB @ 5 Amps
2018-5-31
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-31 14:58
Thanks SB, just read Dirty Birds review, looks like they do the same thing, I paid $119 ( On Sale for 1 day ) w/ 1 year free service the Trackimo weighs in at 42g, MP didn't even notice it, I'm pretty sure there is enough prop clearance on the MA to mount it in the same way. Battery will last minimum of 48 hours reporting every 3 minutes, and a maximum of 36 hours reporting every 1 minute. Charges up from Low Battery Warning to full in around 2 hours with micro USB/MicroUSB @ 5 amps.

Very cool thanks QK thanks to the way you are doing yours I will most likely be doing the same way when/if I get one.  I also have and really like that velcro I use it for other stuff as well.  I had been looking at this a while back and thanks to you and Dirty Bird is fresh back in my mind now wanting to do the same thing lol.  I for sure could of used this on a MJX Bugs 2 I had many months back before my MP as that thing just took off and would not return never to be found.  
2018-5-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-31 15:14
Very cool thanks QK thanks to the way you are doing yours I will most likely be doing the same way when/if I get one.  I also have and really like that velcro I use it for other stuff as well.  I had been looking at this a while back and thanks to you and Dirty Bird is fresh back in my mind now wanting to do the same thing lol.  I for sure could of used this on a MJX Bugs 2 I had many months back before my MP as that thing just took off and would not return never to be found.

If you decide to mount it the way I did Make sure you use the INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH velco, the self adhesive and grip is 10 times stronger.
2018-5-31
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

That looks like a big block on the aircraft. Need something much smaller.
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-31 15:17
If you decide to mount it the way I did Make sure you use the INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH velco, the self adhesive and grip is 10 times stronger.

Make sure you use the INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH velco, the self adhesive and grip is 10 times stronger.

What!  

Everybody knows its either Duck-tape or Bailing-wire.   
2018-5-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-5-31 18:49
That looks like a big block on the aircraft. Need something much smaller.

Maybe the Ping GPS is a little smaller in size and weight, but the Trackimo has a long proven record for accuracy within 1 meter worldwide. Anything I have seen/researched other than the Ping is nothing more than a keychain locator which is useless for functionality.
2018-6-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

OK mounted the Trackimo on the MA using the same velcro method, just did a test flight, no problems with GPS, rock solid in both P and Sport modes, tracked a 900 meter flight with a 1 minute ping. Very convienent just peel and stick to whatever drone I'm flying.

2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules