D-Log and -3EV
1594 25 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

I've noticed that when I have color set to D-Log, the status display at the top reports that my exposure offset is -3EV. Is that a fixed value because of D-Log? I cannot change it in the camera settings and in fact it shows '0' EV in the settings. Just curious.
2018-5-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mark, it is true that the ISO and EV are not adjustable in D-LOG mode.
As for the actual EV, please refer to the value on camera settings, the engineers will fix it in the next app update.
2018-6-3
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-3 19:46
Mark, it is true that the ISO and EV are not adjustable in D-LOG mode.
As for the actual EV, please refer to the value on camera settings, the engineers will fix it in the next app update.

Thanks for clarifying that. I don't have to concern myself with it then. It's making nice images.
2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-4 14:01
Thanks for clarifying that. I don't have to concern myself with it then. It's making nice images.

No problems. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2018-6-6
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-6 04:41
No problems. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.

Hi
Can I please ask a related question.

With Video set to D-Log I get that, however if I then switch to take a picture in RAW, but with it still set to D-Log(ISO 500) will that effect my photographs ?

Or

Raw being Raw as default over rules any D-Log settings ?

Exception possibly if I was taking Raw + jpeg and then I assume the jpeg would appear flat as it would adopt the D-Log config.

Thanks in advance.

2018-7-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-7-20 09:06
Hi
Can I please ask a related question.

Hi KEJ, if you shot in RAW mode, D-Log might affect the pictures that you take. It is not suggested using D-Log in photo mode since it is utilized for retaining more details when RAW videos cannot be captured. Raw data will be recorded in RAW photos and no color mode will be enabled. Thank you for your attention.
2018-7-21
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-21 03:44
Hi KEJ, if you shot in RAW mode, D-Log might affect the pictures that you take. It is not suggested using D-Log in photo mode since it is utilized for retaining more details when RAW videos cannot be captured. Raw data will be recorded in RAW photos and no color mode will be enabled. Thank you for your attention.

Thanks for replying.

Umm! I assumed if I took pictures in Raw, no matter what the colour style, Raw would default over that, appearing flat, but holding all the picture information ?

However,(not that I would) if I took pictures jpeg + Raw, the jpeg might be effected by the choice of D-log, Vivid etc, were as the Raw would still be Raw?

And yes any video would be effected depending on what style you picked.

I might try a few test shots.

Thanks once again for the prompt reply.
2018-7-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-7-22 02:52
Thanks for replying.

Umm! I assumed if I took pictures in Raw, no matter what the colour style, Raw would default over that, appearing flat, but holding all the picture information ?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear. Since the ISO is locked at 500 in D-Log, thus it (ISO) will affect the RAW images. But the color (D-Log/Vivid etc.) will not affect the RAW, and yes, it will affect JPEG pictures. So it can be interpreted as Raw will be Raw. Hope this would provide you with some info.
2018-7-23
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-23 01:01
Sorry, I should have made it more clear. Since the ISO is locked at 500 in D-Log, thus it (ISO) will affect the RAW images. But the color (D-Log/Vivid etc.) will not affect the RAW, and yes, it will affect JPEG pictures. So it can be interpreted as Raw will be Raw. Hope this would provide you with some info.

Thanks - no not at all probably just me, so to summarise using D-Log at say F2.8

Raw = will be raw(all the data captured), however as ISO fixed at 500, the pictures even though they are Raw would probably be over exposed/bright(if a sunny day for example).

jpeg = Would also adopt the D-Log profile and if sunny would be over exposed possibly with less room for manoeuvre as its a jpeg holding less picture information/data.

Video = D-Log format etc.

Conclusion(if correct)
Video = Shoot D-Log video if desired.

Photos =  but if I wanted to take some bracketed photographs etc, possibly use any of the other colours/styles as the ISO is not fixed at 500(unless I wanted 500 of course), I can then determine what I want.

2018-7-23
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-21 03:44

"D-Log might affect the pictures that you take. It is not suggested using D-Log in photo mode"
It would be great then if the developers could provide a set of settings for movie and a set of settings for photos so we don't need to think about changing back and forth every time we change mode.
2018-7-24
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-24 01:33
"D-Log might affect the pictures that you take. It is not suggested using D-Log in photo mode"
It would be great then if the developers could provide a set of settings for movie and a set of settings for photos so we don't need to think about changing back and forth every time we change mode.

Good point.
Just thinking I believe it has the facility to have some default config/profiles we can set up, maybe I set one for video and the other for photos - may be the answer.

I was really just curious, initially thinking well if I use Raw, then its fine as it would overwrite/ignore everything, therefore it wouldnt matter what the video settings, but of course its that 500 ISO for D-Log.

I might have a look at setting up two profiles 1 = Video.  2 = Photo.

Thanks
2018-7-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

KEJ Posted at 2018-7-24 06:57
Good point.
Just thinking I believe it has the facility to have some default config/profiles we can set up, maybe I set one for video and the other for photos - may be the answer.

Often i start movie recording after takeoff, then stop to take some pictures, start movie again for a while, stop and take some pictures and so on.
As it is now, even with the profiles (that not alsways work as intended) i need to access settings all over again during a normal flight.

The way i work it still would be a lot more easy if it remembered the settings by it self on photo and movie separate, i can't be the only one.
2018-7-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-7-23 06:24
Thanks - no not at all probably just me, so to summarise using D-Log at say F2.8

Raw = will be raw(all the data captured), however as ISO fixed at 500, the pictures even though they are Raw would probably be over exposed/bright(if a sunny day for example).

Yes, as it is already recorded a lot of details in RAW pictures, there is no need to use D-Log in Photo mode. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me or our support at any time, we're glad to help.
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-24 01:33

Will forward this request to the engineers. Hopefully, they will take it into consideration.
2018-7-25
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-25 04:19
Yes, as it is already recorded a lot of details in RAW pictures, there is no need to use D-Log in Photo mode. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me or our support at any time, we're glad to help.

Thanks for replying.

Just to confirm I don't really want to use D-Log for my photos, but at the same time if I am taking video and then stop the video and want to take pictures(in Raw) I do not want the ISO settings from D-Log effecting my shots.

So I suspect as stated by KedDK I would have to change settings, then after taking photos back to video, after again tweaking the settings.

So if that option for user presets could be added that would be great and I believe many users would love and appreciate that.

Thanks
2018-7-25
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-25 04:25
Will forward this request to the engineers. Hopefully, they will take it into consideration.

Thanks, good idea.
2018-7-25
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-24 07:34
Often i start movie recording after takeoff, then stop to take some pictures, start movie again for a while, stop and take some pictures and so on.
As it is now, even with the profiles (that not alsways work as intended) i need to access settings all over again during a normal flight.

God point and hopefully it might be something the developers can easily add.

Even just two user define profile settings would be great, one for Photos and the other for video.

Thanks
2018-7-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-25 04:25

Thank you so much
Now we're talking change of video/photo mode ... When pressing the record button (left w red dot), the Phantom change to video mode and record as intended, all good.
If we take pictures while recording video the photos will have the same resolution and settings as the video, that's the way it is, all good.
But when stopping video recording and taking pictures it still keep staying in video mode and pictures still have the video resolution, not so good.
Could you also ask if they are able to make it switch back to photo mode when no video recording is going on? - it would be nice not having to tap in the app to toggle back, just like we don't have to, in order to enter video mode.

2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-25 23:46
Thank you so much
Now we're talking change of video/photo mode ... When pressing the record button (left w red dot), the Phantom change to video mode and record as intended, all good.
If we take pictures while recording video the photos will have the same resolution and settings as the video, that's the way it is, all good.

I am sorry, I might have a little confusion on your point. As the resolution in video mode is changeable, but the image size is not changeable. If you stop recording and take pictures by the RC or the app, the drone and app will be switched back to the photo mode, in this case, you will get full image size. BTW, the image taken during video is just the image taken from the transmission.
Please let me know if I understand your point wrong. I am pleased to know and try my best to help.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-7-25 23:16
Thanks for replying.

Just to confirm I don't really want to use D-Log for my photos, but at the same time if I am taking video and then stop the video and want to take pictures(in Raw) I do not want the ISO settings from D-Log effecting my shots.

Understood, at this moment, you might still need to change the settings if you change the video mode to picture mode. The suggestion has been forwarded, hope it can be added in the future.
2018-7-26
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-26 04:46
I am sorry, I might have a little confusion on your point. As the resolution in video mode is changeable, but the image size is not changeable. If you stop recording and take pictures by the RC or the app, the drone and app will be switched back to the photo mode, in this case, you will get full image size. BTW, the image taken during video is just the image taken from the transmission.
Please let me know if I understand your point wrong. I am pleased to know and try my best to help.

The problem in short is that when pushing the shutter button (right hand) it does not change from video- to photo-mode even if no recording is done, We need to toggle on the app. This is what should be changed so it toggle itself.

When in photo mode it can change itself to video, just by pressing the record button (Left hand), but not back again without use of the app.

To specify and not change the overall behavior as today, it only should change to photo mode when no recording is active. When recording is active it should still, as today take the photos from the video stream.
2018-7-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-26 05:12
The problem in short is that when pushing the shutter button (right hand) it does not change from video- to photo-mode even if no recording is done, We need to toggle on the app. This is what should be changed so it toggle itself.

When in photo mode it can change itself to video, just by pressing the record button (Left hand), but not back again without use of the app.

Just to verify, did you half-press the shutter button at that time? Half-press the button means focusing. Please try to firmly press the shutter to its end. It should be able to change its mode. See if it helps.
2018-7-27
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-27 04:42
Just to verify, did you half-press the shutter button at that time? Half-press the button means focusing. Please try to firmly press the shutter to its end. It should be able to change its mode. See if it helps.

I think really the option is to have user define profile settings is the answer.

As suggested and for example you might create two :

1 ) for Photos Raw ISO 100 Shutter 500  F2.8 etc

2) for Video D-Log ISO 500 Shutter 60 F5.6 etc

Then maybe use one of the rear toggle switches to jump between the Photo/Video mode.

These would be User define Configs Photo 01 and Video 02 (could be expanded upon later etc.
OR
P01, P02, P03
V01, V02, V03

2018-7-27
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-7-27 04:42

Yes always half-press before taking pictures, even if not really needed on the Phantom, a habit from the DSLR shooting where i do the same even i have moved the auto-focus to other button to avoid re-focus by accident.

I'll have a Phantom back late Monday, then i try again and see if anything has changed, but i doubt it.
2018-7-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KEJ Posted at 2018-7-27 22:46
I think really the option is to have user define profile settings is the answer.

As suggested and for example you might create two :

This idea has been forwarded to the engineers. Hopefully, it can be supported. Thanks for the suggestions.
2018-7-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-28 00:08
Yes always half-press before taking pictures, even if not really needed on the Phantom, a habit from the DSLR shooting where i do the same even i have moved the auto-focus to other button to avoid re-focus by accident.

I'll have a Phantom back late Monday, then i try again and see if anything has changed, but i doubt it.

Thanks for checking. Please keep us updated on this issue, thanks.
2018-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules