The umbrella drone?
3669 23 2018-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

https://www.digitaltrends.com/co ... rs-above-your-head/

This sounds like a recipe for disaster! But maybe I'm too pessimistic. Could an umbrella drone actually work?
2018-6-1
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

Good luck keeping it there in any kind of wind. Would be fun to be able to fly the Mavic in the rain for some different shots.
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Thank you for sharing the video. Just a reminder that if you will be using a 3rd party device on DJI drones. These 3rd party devices can affect the performance of the DJI drone and it might void the warranty.
2018-6-1
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-1 14:47
Good day. Thank you for sharing the video. Just a reminder that if you will be using a 3rd party device on DJI drones. These 3rd party devices can affect the performance of the DJI drone and it might void the warranty.

Thanks DJI Stephen, for warning us that attaching an umbrella to your DJI drone might void your warranty. I think the bigger issue is not the warranty, but the potential safety issues.

No one has suggested doing this with a DJI product, so I did not think this warning was necessary in my original posting but I do appreciate your advice. I do not intend to attach an umbrella to my Mavic Air.
2018-6-1
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Wow, active track umbrella can automatic follow about your head. It will hit your head every time when running out of power.
2018-6-1
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

GDL Posted at 2018-6-1 17:38
Wow, active track umbrella can automatic follow about your head. It will hit your head every time when running out of power.

Right, but at least your head will be dry until it bleeds!
2018-6-1
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Has to be one of the stupidest drone accessories I've seen yet.  It is an amusing joke though.
2018-6-2
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Love to see it fly (away) when there is wind....as we all know ; rain and wind often travel together
2018-6-2
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

LOL hey at least you would be protected from the rain.  I agree this has to be the stupidest drone accessory ever.
2018-6-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mary Poppins eat your heart out! I think I've seen it all now!
2018-6-2
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

It looks funny but I saw one advertised for $1600

Here is what it can be used for.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is hilarious.  

so beyond the obvious issues that have been mentioned above,   has anyone thought about what it would take to launch that?  and then retrieve it once you've made it to your destination?  

the drone in the link looks like a mavic pro.  so you're going outside, and see it's raining.  Wait, let me power up my remote, prepare my drone for flight, connect my mobile device,  attach the umbrella,  launch the drone, activate active track.  Then, find someplace to put the RC, (oh wait, you've got a lanyard, so it hangs on your neck), then grab your things, and go where you need to go.  With the wind of a quadcopter right above your head.

<OR> use a freaking umbrella like the rest of the sane people in the world!

sigh..  that's got to be the dumbest, by far, accessory i've seen.  Unless, it's purpose is not to keep you dry, but to keep the drone dry so you can fly in the rain. <-- still probably not the best idea, but i'll consider that as a reason to make this foolishness.
2018-6-2
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Now that's funny.
Battery life 5 minutes.
Motor warnings all lite up on the screen like a christmas tree.
2018-6-3
Use props
PilotC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1321214 ft
Australia

It’s the must have accessory....lol

2018-6-3
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:22
That is hilarious.  

so beyond the obvious issues that have been mentioned above,   has anyone thought about what it would take to launch that?  and then retrieve it once you've made it to your destination?  

I imagine walking down a crowded city street with this thing hovering above my head. And then after the few minutes of flight time I get after I get everything launched and tracked, then what? Land in the middle of the sidewalk?

And if it's a windy rain, is that umbrella going to be thrown around in the wind? How's the drone going to deal with that? What about obstacle avoidance going down a sidewalk? And the active track modes work only like 90% of the time even in the best of situations.
2018-6-3
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-6-3 17:12
I imagine walking down a crowded city street with this thing hovering above my head. And then after the few minutes of flight time I get after I get everything launched and tracked, then what? Land in the middle of the sidewalk?

And if it's a windy rain, is that umbrella going to be thrown around in the wind? How's the drone going to deal with that? What about obstacle avoidance going down a sidewalk? And the active track modes work only like 90% of the time even in the best of situations.

yep.  I'm sure if I spent a little time I could come up with a worse idea, but why?

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you SHOULD...
2018-6-3
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Completely STOOPID!!!

2018-6-3
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer

3-D Posted at 2018-6-3 17:16
yep.  I'm sure if I spent a little time I could come up with a worse idea, but why?

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you SHOULD...

Yep. For instance you could turn your drone into a portable heating unit to keep you warm on cold days. Just attach some plutonium to it and feel the warmth as it hovers over your head.   
2018-6-3
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is the best part of that whole article:

Drones are turning out to be amazing for a lot of things. This isn’t one of them. For those who want to keep both hands free as they shield themselves from extreme weather, we suggest a far more sensible option: The umbrella hat.
2018-6-4
Use props
Seymour Clouds
lvl.3
United States

i smell a infomercial where a guy is holding too many things and drops everything.  "finally, an answer to always having to hold your umbrella"   
2018-10-25
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

Optional extras: Gumboots for the landing legs and a windscreen wiper for the camera ?

Or: My drone disconnects when water runs into the r/c and phone - but the drone remains dry! Why is the r/c not waterproof - will Care Refresh cover it? Lol
2018-11-5
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

JulieMonica Posted at 11-5 17:29
That looks good and creative! They must be the cute rainy day outfits for the drone.

Julie,
I like the "cute rainy day outfit"  you posted better.
2018-11-5
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

Folkestone Posted at 2018-6-1 14:45
Good luck keeping it there in any kind of wind. Would be fun to be able to fly the Mavic in the rain for some different shots.

agreed, i've been thiniking of making an umbrella for my spark
2019-2-24
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

what about just putting this on your head. or on your drone https://www.flipkart.com/dragon- ... /p/itmeprxfmajjgjfg
2019-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules