1396 29 2018-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I posted about getting my Mavic stuck in a tree a couple of weeks ago.   I was able to pull the log file, and based on the telemetry, it had gotten stuck 72 feet up.   Unfortunately, I had no way to get it down, and all the local tree removal companies and arborists were too busy to help.   Well I lucked out last week when the construction company came back to do some additional excavating on the land - and they were kind enough to use their bucket loader to get high enough to shake it free.   Unfortunately it fell the full 72 feet and was damaged pretty badly.   Since I still had two refreshes left on my care refresh (which expires at the end of this month), I decided to take advantage of the care refresh express.

The support request process was seamless and well done.  I immediately paid the fee, bypassing the analysis process.  Within 5 min of completing the checkout, I had a return label waiting for me in my email.  

First comment to DJI: Shouldn't the labels indicate there is a Lipo battery in the box when we elect to return the battery?

I'm on the east coast of the US, so it took a full 5 business days to get to CA.   Within an hour of UPS indicating delivery, DJI had acknowledged receipt via email (bird, battery, 2 pairs of props).   Within a few hours after that, I had another email with the replacement serial number and 2nd day air shipping info.   Not only that, but the serial number was apparently for a brand new Mavic Pro (no -R), with a build date of April 29 - so it was only a month old!  

Second comment to DJI: EXTREMELY WELL DONE on the TAT! Thank you for sending me a brand new one and for the express shipping! That was amazing!  

Third comment to DJI: The shipping email only indicated the inclusion of 2 props, not 4....and I actually got NONE.  I thought care refresh covered the props too?   Can I get some please?

I received the kit today.  It does indeed appear to be new (had all the stickers too) and a new gimbal lock and dome, but was shipped back to me in my original Mavic box (old serial number).   However, it could have been packaged a bit better.

Fourth Comment to DJI: The gimbal lock was installed wrong prior to shipping and the gimbal was forced forward in the housing.  It appears to work ok, although I did get ONE overload error during my testing today.

Fifth Comment to DJI: There were two assembly screws floating around in the box.  They don't appear to be from my new Mavic, so I don't know where they came from - but it seems to me that I'm lucky they didn't do any damage (that I could find).

Overall I'm happy - the TAT was amazing and I love the fact that I got a new drone.  However, I would appreciate a set of props.  I know they are cheap, but an agreement is an agreement, no?

LP
2018-6-1
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very cool that is great you got a brand new one and not a Refurb.  Although I am not against refurbs by any means and in fact all of my miles are from my one refurb MP I purchased.  But so glad it worked out well and thank you for the great story and detail of the experience.  Weird that they did not include the props.  
2018-6-1
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Once again it is nice to hear something good said about DJI Support.
Hopefully they will read your post and keep up the good work.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with DJI.
2018-6-1
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Sounds like a pretty good transaction.  I'm sure DJI will send you some props........can't think why they wouldn't.   Fingers crossed.
2018-6-1
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'm guessing I should send them a formal support request regarding the props.  I don't think posting to the forum is considered official, is it?

LP
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi LeafPeeper, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Regarding the proper issue, I managed to get the case number and forwarded to the right team for further assistance, they will check the exact status and help you out soon. As for the packaging, we'll inform the related team to learn and improve in the future. Again, we appreciate your feedback and suggestions. If there are any further questions, feel free to contact us.
2018-6-1
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Susan!

LP
2018-6-1
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well I got a note from DJI on my missing props.   They 'reminded' me that the shipping manifest said they shipped props and that I should search the packaging again.   It was a little condescending if you ask me but I guess it's policy.  They also assumed that the '2' on the manifest meant 2 pairs.   However, as mentioned in my original post, on the DJI receipt notification, '2' meant 2 props - and there were a total of 4 listed.   The shipping manifest had the same item identified, but only listed '2' - as in one pair.    Regardless, I got no pairs.    I was asked to take a picture of everything I got in the box and send it to them.   Not sure how a picture will help, but I did as requested.

Although this appears like I'm whining, I'm really very happy with DJI - they really have been handling this swap well.   They have been responsive and fast.   I just find some of the 'policies' a bit odd - like asking me to check the box again and send a picture.  Let's face it, if I wanted to lie about the missing props, I'd just leave them out of the picture.   In fact, if I really wanted to be deceitful, I'd say the battery was missing.   I'm not lying here.   In fact, if I don't get the props, i won't really care.   I don't like them anyway and probably won't use them.  I much prefer the new low noise props.  It's more just a 'get what you paid for' thing....but then again, when I think about it, I'm already getting way more than I paid for because *I* crashed the drone, and DJI gave me a new one for essentially $178 ($99 for Care Refresh, and $79 for the replacement).

So regardless of what happens, I'm all smiles here...

LP
2018-6-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-2 07:36
Well I got a note from DJI on my missing props.   They 'reminded' me that the shipping manifest said they shipped props and that I should search the packaging again.   It was a little condescending if you ask me but I guess it's policy.  They also assumed that the '2' on the manifest meant 2 pairs.   However, as mentioned in my original post, on the DJI receipt notification, '2' meant 2 props - and there were a total of 4 listed.   The shipping manifest had the same item identified, but only listed '2' - as in one pair.    Regardless, I got no pairs.    I was asked to take a picture of everything I got in the box and send it to them.   Not sure how a picture will help, but I did as requested.

Although this appears like I'm whining, I'm really very happy with DJI - they really have been handling this swap well.   They have been responsive and fast.   I just find some of the 'policies' a bit odd - like asking me to check the box again and send a picture.  Let's face it, if I wanted to lie about the missing props, I'd just leave them out of the picture.   In fact, if I really wanted to be deceitful, I'd say the battery was missing.   I'm not lying here.   In fact, if I don't get the props, i won't really care.   I don't like them anyway and probably won't use them.  I much prefer the new low noise props.  It's more just a 'get what you paid for' thing....but then again, when I think about it, I'm already getting way more than I paid for because *I* crashed the drone, and DJI gave me a new one for essentially $178 ($99 for Care Refresh, and $79 for the replacement).

Sorry for the inconvenience that was caused by our policy and thanks for your cooperation, the team will help you out after the verification, please wait patiently and hope the issue will be addressed soon.
2018-6-2
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-2 19:28
Sorry for the inconvenience that was caused by our policy and thanks for your cooperation, the team will help you out after the verification, please wait patiently and hope the issue will be addressed soon.

Thank you Mindy.  As I said, I'm happy either way - I just find some of the policies odd.  That's all.

Thanks again!
LP
2018-6-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-3 04:19
Thank you Mindy.  As I said, I'm happy either way - I just find some of the policies odd.  That's all.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your feedback, we will forward it to our management department to keep improving our policy, thank you again for your support.
2018-6-3
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Susan or Mindy, I think this issue has been sorted and I have a tracking number for the replacement props.  However, someone with a name that sounds like 'Apple' has called my home phone twice (while I wasn't there) wanting to get more information from my about my refresh case.  The voice is unclear, so I can't really make out her name.   Given the messages she has left, I suspect it may be a result of your forwarding the info from this thread.   She hasn't left any info on how to reach her, and when I dial the DJI number on the caller id, the technicians say they don't have any direct number to give me or any way to reach her.    In the first call, she said she would also send an email, which I never received.   Her last message said she would call again tomorrow.

At this point, since I believe my props have shipped, I don't know whether the call is needed - but if she just wants feedback and details for QA, I'd be happy to provide them - but I need a way to reach her.   Email would be best.   Otherwise, I can't help.

LP
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-5 13:19
Susan or Mindy, I think this issue has been sorted and I have a tracking number for the replacement props.  However, someone with a name that sounds like 'Apple' has called my home phone twice (while I wasn't there) wanting to get more information from my about my refresh case.  The voice is unclear, so I can't really make out her name.   Given the messages she has left, I suspect it may be a result of your forwarding the info from this thread.   She hasn't left any info on how to reach her, and when I dial the DJI number on the caller id, the technicians say they don't have any direct number to give me or any way to reach her.    In the first call, she said she would also send an email, which I never received.   Her last message said she would call again tomorrow.

At this point, since I believe my props have shipped, I don't know whether the call is needed - but if she just wants feedback and details for QA, I'd be happy to provide them - but I need a way to reach her.   Email would be best.   Otherwise, I can't help.

LP, Apple is our supervisor and she can only call back when we escalate the case to her at this moment, I see she has sent you email and you have also replied (may after this post), we will inform her to keep following up. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-6-5
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes - thanks.  I found her email in my spam folder after I posted here yesterday.  I will follow up.  Thanks again for all your help - you folks have been extremely responsive and helpful.   Kudos!

LP
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-6 03:55
Yes - thanks.  I found her email in my spam folder after I posted here yesterday.  I will follow up.  Thanks again for all your help - you folks have been extremely responsive and helpful.   Kudos!

LP

You are so kind. If there is anything else we can help, do not hesitate to contact us.
2018-6-6
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Susan & Mindy, I spoke too soon.  It looks like the gimbal may have indeed been damaged due to the improperly installed clamp prior to shipment to me.    This weekend was the second time I've gotten to fly the replacement unit, and I'm getting a consistent gimbal knock and then an overload error during startup.  No crashes or hard landings.   The strange thing is that they go away within a few seconds and I'm able to fly.   While flying, the gimbal behaves normally.  I'm guessing it's done this since I got it - because if I wait to enter the flying screen until everything is connected and ready, I completely miss the error.

I've replied to Apple's original email with more details.   Here are a couple videos:

Aircraft View:
App View:

I have tried recalibrating the gimbal, downgrading and upgrading the firmware, refreshing the firmware, and resetting the camera settings, but nothing has changed.   The loud click right after the aircraft boot up tone is the 'knock' I referred to above.  It sounds like the gimbal hitting something, but it just seems to stop abruptly, then resolve.   BTW, I reviewed your 'Preflight Check' video just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and have you noticed that the gimbal clamp in that video in the 'checking the gimbal' section is installed improperly as well?   Mine was MUCH more forward than that when I got it from DJI, but still seems odd that the official video has the clamp installed wrong.

I'll wait to hear from Apple.  I'm hoping she's still willing to provide the expedited shipping and service she offered.
Thanks again for your help,
LP
2018-6-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-10 11:45
Susan & Mindy, I spoke too soon.  It looks like the gimbal may have indeed been damaged due to the improperly installed clamp prior to shipment to me.    This weekend was the second time I've gotten to fly the replacement unit, and I'm getting a consistent gimbal knock and then an overload error during startup.  No crashes or hard landings.   The strange thing is that they go away within a few seconds and I'm able to fly.   While flying, the gimbal behaves normally.  I'm guessing it's done this since I got it - because if I wait to enter the flying screen until everything is connected and ready, I completely miss the error.

I've replied to Apple's original email with more details.   Here are a couple videos:

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. I'd like to help you forward the issue to our engineers for a check first, we'll get back to you soon. Thanks!
2018-6-11
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-6-11 03:07
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. I'd like to help you forward the issue to our engineers for a check first, we'll get back to you soon. Thanks!

Thanks, Diana!    For reference, here is the case number that Apple opened for me based on the original thread above (regarding the improperly installed gimbal clamp and the gimbal error I saw initially): CAS-1857567-Q9P1M9

I do think I've been getting this error all along (even on my first flight), but just didn't see it because it had cleared before I entered DJI Go - so it looks like I incorrectly told Apple it was working properly.

Also for reference, here is the original Care Refresh case number that got me this unit: CAS-1824257-H4Z6K7.  Let me know if I can provide any additional information.  I have not used any third party apps with this unit- only DJI Go.

Thanks again,
LP
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-11 03:54
Thanks, Diana!    For reference, here is the case number that Apple opened for me based on the original thread above (regarding the improperly installed gimbal clamp and the gimbal error I saw initially): CAS-1857567-Q9P1M9

I do think I've been getting this error all along (even on my first flight), but just didn't see it because it had cleared before I entered DJI Go - so it looks like I incorrectly told Apple it was working properly.

Hi, sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you. I have forwarded the issue to our engineers for a check, however, we'd like to confirm the information below:
1. Does the ‘’gimbal motor overload" error happens often? From your post, it happened every time when you start on the drone, right?
2. The error message only happens at the beginning and it will disappear when you fly the drone, right?
3. Please make sure the DJI GO4 app has been updated to the latest, please let us know the firmware version of the DJI GO4 app.
4. Please check the position of the gimbal, does it in proper position?
Thank you in advance!
2018-6-12
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi Diana - thanks.   I already hace a case number and have sent the drone back.   Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Yes, every time.  It is completely repeatable.
2. Correct - only at boot up, then it goes away.  No apparent problems while flying other then one or two small jitters I captured but were likely wind related.
3. I always use the latest firmware and DJI Go app version, on android.  Both DJI Go versions .16 and .20 showed the issue.   I don't remember the latest firmware number, but I used DJI Assistant and picked the latest.  In diagnosing this issue, I also downgraded two versions to see if the problem was still there and it was.  I then upgraded it back to the latest and tried again.
4. After boot up, it was in the proper position.  I also checked all the mounts, tabs and drop hook and everything looked normal.

You should be receiving the drone in TX today.  The new case number is CAS-1895226-X2L6X1.  Hope that helps!

LP
2018-6-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-13 04:01
Hi Diana - thanks.   I already hace a case number and have sent the drone back.   Here are the answers to your questions:

Received with thanks! Per the case number, the package has been arrived and updated in our system. We'll keep follow up and help you figure this out soon.
2018-6-13
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Susan! I anxiously await your findings!  I'm hoping it won't take long since it was put on expedite.   Let me know if you guys need any additional info.

Thanks again!
LP
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-13 04:01

Thanks for your update, as per check, your parcel has been received by the local team, I will help you mark the information that you provided on your case, hope the issue will be sorted out soon. If there is anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know. Appreciate your patience.
2018-6-14
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you, Diana!  Will do.   I did forget to take out my 64G SD card before shipping it back and I sent a note to the support ID about it.  I see they noted it as received at check-in, so thanks for that.   I'd appreciate it if they could return it with the repair/replacement, but if not, I understand.  It was my mistake to include it.

LP
2018-6-14
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just a quick question to set my expectations.  What is the expected time for evaluation?   1-2 days?  Or longer?   I noticed another person tracking his return in this forum and his drone was received in TX yesterday and he had a evaluation by yesterday evening - and it got me optimistic.   Mine was logged as received yesterday - any chance of an evaluation before the weekend?

Yes, I know I sound like a kid....'Are we there yet?'...but as you can expect, it's summer and I want to get flying as soon as possible!
Thanks for putting up with me!
LP
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-14 17:01
Just a quick question to set my expectations.  What is the expected time for evaluation?   1-2 days?  Or longer?   I noticed another person tracking his return in this forum and his drone was received in TX yesterday and he had a evaluation by yesterday evening - and it got me optimistic.   Mine was logged as received yesterday - any chance of an evaluation before the weekend?

Yes, I know I sound like a kid....'Are we there yet?'...but as you can expect, it's summer and I want to get flying as soon as possible!  

Sorry for the late response. Per the case log, the damage has been assessed, and moved to the next step. The shipping will be arranged as soon as the unit repaired and tested.
2018-6-16
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

No problem - Thanks Susan!   Yes, I got an email yesterday afternoon with the invoice saying it would be covered by the warranty, and Apple called as well to follow up.   Thank you so much!  You folks have been great, and I really appreciate the constant follow up....I know you are busy and I'm only one customer, but it does mean a lot to me!   

Thanks again,
LP
2018-6-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-16 06:54
No problem - Thanks Susan!   Yes, I got an email yesterday afternoon with the invoice saying it would be covered by the warranty, and Apple called as well to follow up.   Thank you so much!  You folks have been great, and I really appreciate the constant follow up....I know you are busy and I'm only one customer, but it does mean a lot to me!   

Thanks again,

You are welcome. Really appreciate your kind words, we will keep moving forward and provide a more professional and efficient service to our customers. Hope you can receive the drone soon. Any help needed in, please don't hesitate to let us know.
2018-6-17
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I thought I'd check back in with an update.   Rather than repair the Mavic I sent in, it looks like DJI elected to send me a refurbished unit as a replacement (which I am totally fine with).  I received it via UPS today.  It had a refurbished serial number (R in the 10th spot) and the SN decoder says it was built on Feb '18.   I'm guessing that was the date it was refurbished, not built.   Either way it looks and feels new.   I recorded the unboxing, unpacking, etc. just in case there were issues, but I couldn't find any.   The box was in great shape, and it was packed well.  The gimbal clamp and dome were all in place properly.     The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware (it was one level behind), then activated it.

I did one short flight today and everything seemed to function properly.   Before I say everything is great and end this thread, I just want to give it a more thorough test flight and checkout - but we have some bad weather coming over the next few days, so I likely won't be able to do it until next week.

I'm sticking to my story that DJI did a great job here.  The communication was EXCELLENT, and they followed up with either emails or phone calls with regular status updates.   Many thanks to you, Apple and the rest of the team.

I'll report back again after my next flight.  Thanks again,
LP
2018-6-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-6-21 16:10
I thought I'd check back in with an update.   Rather than repair the Mavic I sent in, it looks like DJI elected to send me a refurbished unit as a replacement (which I am totally fine with).  I received it via UPS today.  It had a refurbished serial number (R in the 10th spot) and the SN decoder says it was built on Feb '18.   I'm guessing that was the date it was refurbished, not built.   Either way it looks and feels new.   I recorded the unboxing, unpacking, etc. just in case there were issues, but I couldn't find any.   The box was in great shape, and it was packed well.  The gimbal clamp and dome were all in place properly.     The first thing I did was upgrade the firmware (it was one level behind), then activated it.

I did one short flight today and everything seemed to function properly.   Before I say everything is great and end this thread, I just want to give it a more thorough test flight and checkout - but we have some bad weather coming over the next few days, so I likely won't be able to do it until next week.

That's all right, please keep us posted on the latest progress, thanks!
2018-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules