Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P Low noise props - working with P4
3877 16 2018-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Are the Phantom 4 Pro low noise props working on the P4 (standard version)? Everyone who sells these props writes on the product details page that they are compatible with the P4 Pro and P4 Advanced, but nothing about the P4. But at the same time i could not imagine why it would not work on the P4?

So are the low noise props working on the P4, and do they give the same benefits as when mounted on the P4 Pro?
2018-6-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Pilot,

The Low Noise Props are designed for the P4 Pro V2.0.  The P4 Pro V2.0 is different from the P4 Pro.  The ESC for the P4 Pro V2.0 has been tuned to make the Low Noise Props quieter and more efficient.  While the props may work on the P4 Series of Phantoms, the benefit is negligible when compared to the benefits to the P4 Pro V2.0.  But they work none-the-less.  There is a slight documented benefit for the P4 Pro and the P4A but the P4 benefit has not been documented.

The Low Noise Props cost one dollar more than the regular props, so it will not break the bank to purchase them for your P4.  I have not heard of any warnings that they will cause a P4 to age early or crash but if you want some interesting looking props for your Phantom, DJI sells them in the Store.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-2
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"the benefit is negligible when compared to the benefits to the P4 Pro V2.0."

We are still waiting for views from people who have tried them, but I'm not expecting this to be true, I think the new props on a P4 standard will give most of the noise benefit you get on the P4 Pro V2, especially when at a distance of more than 10m when the improvement to the ESCs will be hard to hear.
2018-6-2
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft

They work fine on the P4 standard. My initial observation was that they are noticeably quieter but I do need to do some more testing in order to try them back to back with the original props.
2018-6-2
Use props
Cinefilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

Heard that it overheats the ESC controller. Anyone from DJI to advice on this?!
2018-6-2
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-6-2 09:54
Heard that it overheats the ESC controller. Anyone from DJI to advice on this?!

Seems rather unlikely, they are supposed to be more efficient, not less efficient, so if anything the ESC should be cooler!
2018-6-2
Use props
Alan James
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146821 ft

As long as you stick with known good quality props that won't fall apart mid-air, (something cheap props WILL do...)  it's ok to experiment with various prop pitches and airfoil designs.  Particularly in regards to trying the V2 props, as they're known good quality DJI props designed for this size of craft.  (Even if for updated ESC's, more on that below.)  The only thing it will affect is sound, flight times and thrust.

Anyways I can't imagine an ESC having any effect on prop noise given the same prop and all-up weight and thrust values.  The noise is a function of the prop hitting the air, thus the design and angle of attack in relation to the air moving through it.   The standard props are very efficient, thus they "grab" a lot of air at (whatever) RPM.  The new props are just less grabby and require a higher RPM to move the same amount of air which makes them less noisy, but also requires  different ESC's and motors to remain efficient in that RPM range so that we get the same flight times.

On our older version 1 P4P, I would be shocked if they were any more noisy with the NEW props than the new V2 P4P.  And I am sorry but I will not believe anyone telling me any different until I am able to compare myself directly head to head.  
2018-6-2
Use props
Alan James
lvl.1

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-2 13:18
Seems rather unlikely, they are supposed to be more efficient, not less efficient, so if anything the ESC should be cooler!

It could lead to higher ESC temps, but honestly I'd imagine the ESC's in the P4P have enough overhead to not be a concern for a tiny increase in amp draw.  The new props will only be "more efficient" with motors and ESC's to match them, thus on our older P4P's it is likely less efficient... though I would guess not by very much.  Maybe a minute or two less of flight times?
Obviously as anyone can probably guess - I am merely speculating.  Based on my own experience in the hobby of building model airplanes and MR's.
2018-6-2
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

I have a set of the new props on a P4P, the props reduce the noise substantially. I spent 5 batteries just today trying to compare the performance. I can see no difference in the behavior of the aircraft with them. I get the same speeds in P and S modes. Turns, breaking, acceleration all seem to be the same. Buy the props. Be happy. Let the conspiracy theories fly, while you’re flying with the upgraded props. Or don’t.

Jeff
2018-6-2
Use props
Alan James
lvl.1

Good to hear, thanks for reporting!  I’ll be ordering a couple sets myself thanks to your factual, actual experience.  (Unlike my purely hypothetical theories... lol)
2018-6-3
Use props
ATJ
Captain
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Alan James Posted at 2018-6-3 00:06
Good to hear, thanks for reporting!  I’ll be ordering a couple sets myself thanks to your factual, actual experience.  (Unlike my purely hypothetical theories... lol)

I understand that the P4P v2.0 motors have been changed. The new ESC Propulsion System is tuned to the new Low Noise Props and allow 2 to 3 more minutes running time.
2018-6-3
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
First Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

No the motors have not been changed just the ESC's and the props
2018-6-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, please check the link for Phantom 4 Series Low-Noise Propellers: https://store.dji.com/product/ph ... ow-noise-propellers, it is compatible with Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro, and Phantom 4 Advanced. Thanks!

2018-6-3
Use props
The Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>

Exactly that page says that they are compatible with P4 Pro and P4 advance.
So i wondered  if they work with the P4 standard as well?
I guess they should work?
Is it really accurate that they could damage the craft by overheating the ESC’s like mentioned above, i don’t know about that? At least the Mavic Pro Platinum low noise props seems to work fine on the Mavic Pro with the old type of ESC’s?

Question is if they are of any benefit on the P4 Standard, in terms of noise level or flight time?
2018-6-4
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft

The Pilot Posted at 2018-6-4 03:47
Exactly that page says that they are compatible with P4 Pro and P4 advance.
So i wondered  if they work with the P4 standard as well?
I guess they should work?

I did a more extensive test using my P4 Standard today. The temperature was 51F with some medium wind gusts but otherwise OK for flying. I tested using both the low noise and standard propellers. My observations were as follows:-

1. Installation. The new props fitted on the existing (single center spring) mounts with no issues at all.
2. Noise appeared to be slightly less on the new props but I would say it's not enough to make them worthwhile.
3. There were no detectable differences in performance between the two types of props.
4. The low noise props appeared to be more susceptible to being thrown around by wind gusts. I guess that this is not unusual given that the new props are wider and may "catch" more wind when it gusts.
5. The small wingtips are flexible but very flimsy. I suspect that they may break if you bump them against anything while transporting the drone.

Overall, my opinion is that they are not worthwhile buying for a P4 Standard. I have my doubts as to whether they would be worthwhile on other models either.
2018-6-4
Use props
Alan James
lvl.1

Thanks for the review, I notticed it’s $15 for shipping from DJI.  No thanks...   I’ll use the Mavic for low noise flying when needed.
Anyways , for what it’s worth the props are similar enough I wouldn’t even worry about it at all.  Going from a 9450 bull-nose style prop to a 9455 with tapered tips is not going to affect much.    The reduction in thrust from the more tapered tips is probably offset by the extra 05 angle.
2018-6-5
Use props
userfc535e236d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4109662 ft
Italy

I'm sorry for posting here after a while but I just received word that low noise propellers make the P4P less resistant to wind gusts.

I have a P4P+  and recently bought two pairs of low noise propellers, which I haven't tested yet.

Are these mere rumors? Or, do the new props actually influence aerodynamics in a way that makes flights in windy environments less safe?
2018-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules