o(^-^)o
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-14
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

there are a number of people using trackimo on this forum so you'll probably get good info from them.  from the many threads we've hashed out on that subject over the past 6 months, I'd say trackimo and flytrex are the two frontrunners.  there are pros and cons with both (and all others too) but id say for price, features, etc the two are about equal imho.  i havent broken down to get one but when i do, i think im actually going with the flytrex but that is mostly just my personal preference breaking the tie, not because it is necessarily that much better than trackimo.
2015-5-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

trakimo is good when it works.  i have been to two countries in south america and trackimo did not work in either country until i emailed tech support.  then it works well.  i keep it on 120 minute notifications when not flying and 5 minute notifictions when flying.  so far have not needed it to find the drone but gives me confidence.  the accuracy varies wildly and in many cases would not help in locating the bird if the battery fell out.  i am pleased with it and hope i never need it.  mine was $99 on Amazon but the raised the price by $40 recently.
2015-5-14
Use props
2015-5-14
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of the commonly used trackers can be found here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#Trackers

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-14
Use props
2015-5-14
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

Also Flytrex Live.

I use it on my big rig and works flawlessly.
2015-5-15
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I use trackimo and have been very happy with it. I had a problem with my trackimo battery not charging back in March but support sent me another quickly and all is good again. I have mine refresh every min when flying and just turn it off when not flying. I also have been flying more in the mountains lately and have not lost GPS signal even when i have no cell service. I did not track it with my phone at that time cause of no service but its history as allways been correct.. I have not found a place trackimo has not worked yet.
I have mine mounted on the bottom of the Phantom using velcro.
All that said, i have been looking at flytrex alot and knowing myself, i will be upgrading to it soon or later.
2015-5-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-14 22:19
trakimo is good when it works.  i have been to two countries in south america and trackimo did not w ...

hermosa, can you clarify what you mean about 'if the battery fell out' related to trackimo not working?  do you mean the trackimo battery (or is the trackimo wired to your phantom directly and you mean the phantom battery)?
2015-5-15
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Flytrex
2015-5-15
Use props
fansc700710a
New

Lithuania

Drones have a chance to be dropped or experience any other hazard. This leads to need for more secure gps trackers than common car gps tracker. Most common situation you will use gps tracker is to find your dropped drone. You need to use some semi professional trackers like garmin or other, but you can use third party software to make it easy to find. Cell phone tracker would work also if your phone is enforced against drops.
2017-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansc700710a Posted at 2017-2-1 00:02
Drones have a chance to be dropped or experience any other hazard. This leads to need for more secure gps trackers than common car gps tracker. Most common situation you will use gps tracker is to find your dropped drone. You need to use some semi professional trackers like garmin or other, but you can use third party software to make it easy to find. Cell phone tracker would work also if your phone is enforced against drops.

The idea is to find the aircraft, not your phone, as one would assume you have the phone with you.
2017-2-1
Use props
fansc700710a
New

Lithuania

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-1 00:04
The idea is to find the aircraft, not your phone, as one would assume you have the phone with you.

Yes, I understand. But there is an ability to mount a phone on drone with tracking software instead of integrating gps tracker on drone. Then you can track that phone (and drone) location on your phone, computer or some..
2017-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansc700710a Posted at 2017-2-1 00:43
Yes, I understand. But there is an ability to mount a phone on drone with tracking software instead of integrating gps tracker on drone. Then you can track that phone (and drone) location on your phone, computer or some..

OK?? But why would you do that? The phone would be much heavier than a dedicated GPS tracking device, much larger, have less battery life and you risk losing the aircraft AND your phone.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-1 00:45
OK?? But why would you do that? The phone would be much heavier than a dedicated GPS tracking device, much larger, have less battery life and you risk losing the aircraft AND your phone.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Here's a couple of reviews on the top three GPS drone tracking tiles.

http://www.dronethusiast.com/how-to-track-your-drone/

http://www.dronethusiast.com/drone-tracking-and-logging/

http://www.recode.net/2015/4/1/1 ... -and-found-face-off

Enjoy. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker

2017-2-1
Use props
Quseblo
New

United States

I have two Boomerang GPS trackers for both of my Radrovers. They are $200 if you get your own data plan or $250 the 1st year if you get their Verizon data plan for one year with the unit (assuming you will just need to renew the data plan for $50 after the 1st year). I had the two units since Nov/16 and it was mostly because we travel with our ebikes. I was worried at a hotel on the road and someone stealing the bike off the vehicle bike rack if we couldn't store the bike in the room overnight.

The system uses the Verizon cell network and a smartphone app to track, arm, and disarm the boomerang unit. The alarm will sound in a few seconds with movement. You can't arm your bike rack and drive down the road; only when you park, arm bike, run your errands, disarm bike, and drive away. I don't use the outside bike rack at work (store/charge in my server room on 2nd floor); but, I imagine the boomerang might alarm if the rack and bike was bumped enough.

You will get a smartphone alert when the alarm is triggered along with the audible alarm at the bike. There is a web-based app to track your unit. You can't arm/disarm or receive alarms from the webapp, only on your smartphone. You can just google map track and look at metadata collected on your ride with the computer based app (trips, mileage, carbon offset, map location, battery level. device temp, signal level, etc...).

The unit tracker Boomerang https://secretstorages.com/best-hidden-gps-tracker-for-car/ does have trip data logging; but, it is about useless. It starts/stops/records on its own and there is no way to start/stop trip logging like you can with other bike apps. A 2 hour ride might be broken into 2-4 trips with some bike riding time not even being recorded and other time like the bike on the vehicle rack driving down the road included in the with some of the trip time. I just use the Boomerang to arm and track my bike position only. I use free iPhone app like Endomondo to track trip data.

The unit looks weather and dust/dirt resistant. The only place I can see being a problem is the micro USB port used to recharge the unit. I make sure the dust cover is always closed for the USB charging port. I can usually go about a week between charges. The unit uses more power with the bike on the move compared to stand-by mode. I might be able to go 2-3 weeks in stand-by mode. The unit still reports your location in stand-by mode
2018-8-2
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I have a 3D printed mount that uses the leg screws to secure ... that can take my Soloshot TAG for video tracking. I can swap that for a 3D mount printed for my RF-V16 GSM Tracker .... no worries of losing tracker at all.

Funny thing is - I have the RF-V16 and also an older GSM2 tracker that both talk to my phone with GPS coords and even a map sent ... but rarely ever mount either !!  Daft but true !!

Nigel
2018-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules