Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
crash mystery
892 6 2018-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ruggbg
lvl.2
United States

My P3S got a little too close to a distant tree and went to the ground on one prop arm then upside down.
When  I went to pick it up the props were still powered and I could not shut  it down. I picked it up and tried to turn the battery of, it just  powered back up and the props never stopped. It was giving me a motor  overspeed warning. While the props were spinning the speed varied and at  times they ran slow and jerky. All the time I was trying to shut it  down the camera and gimble were functional.  I eventually put it back props down on the ground so I could pull the battery.

I  removed the props (one tip sheared off) and powered up. Everything  appeared nominal so I tried launching and the prop motors spun up then  stopped. After that I could no longer get them to spin up even after  removing/replacing the battery (about 50% charge).The case was ajar on  one side from the force of hitting the arm so I pulled the top off.  There are no other signs of damage or loose connectors.

Any ideas why the motors no longer spin up?

Everything is connected except the GPS and camera/gimble. Should the motors spin up if I try to test it that way?

thanks for help

bill

2018-6-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Usually after a crash as you described, either the motor(s) burn up or the ESC burns up.  Hard to tell which.  I would inspect everything again at home.  Then see if it boots up normally.  If it does, then try it again at home on the bench, and if they still don't start, begin replacing the motors.  If they don't run, you'd need a new centerboard most likely.

Next time, I would pick the phantom up firmly by the landing gear with one hand, hold it upright and steady, and then pull the left stick down and hold.  The motors should stop after 3 secs.  

Sorry for your troubles.  Look at it as a chance to learn some cool stuff.  Good luck.  
2018-6-2
Use props
ruggbg
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-2 11:51
Usually after a crash as you described, either the motor(s) burn up or the ESC burns up.  Hard to tell which.  I would inspect everything again at home.  Then see if it boots up normally.  If it does, then try it again at home on the bench, and if they still don't start, begin replacing the motors.  If they don't run, you'd need a new centerboard most likely.

Next time, I would pick the phantom up firmly by the landing gear with one hand, hold it upright and steady, and then pull the left stick down and hold.  The motors should stop after 3 secs.  

thanks mark
I did pick it up by the landing gear - which is why I said it couldn't pick me up.........
I tried everything to stop it, left control, switches. powering off the battery - which appeared to turn off then right back on but the props never stopped.
The motors did spin up the first time I tried it without the props, but are dead now. Nothing on the board looks overheated, especially not the N03Rs. I would doubt all 4 motors went bad at the same time.
2018-6-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Yeah it seems unlikely.  
2018-6-2
Use props
ruggbg
lvl.2
United States

and the answer is..............

after the crash I started the motors once with no props, the second time it would not start.
the system needed to be reset (power off/on) and at a minimum the compass recal.
It then goes thru the same thing. If it does not get off the ground on a launch it gets totally confused.

My Nexus 7 seems to have an issue with a weak image signal. My Moto G2 does not.
Go figure.

thanks
2018-6-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I would try an IMU calibration
2018-6-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Sorry for the troubles.  We recommend contacting our support team to start a ticket and send in the drone to DJI official repair center for evaluation and repair service. You may click on this link: https://www.dji.com/service/repair?site=brandsite&from=nav
2018-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules