United States

Just came across this New FAA Regulations for Drones

2018-6-2
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The more idiots flying recklessly the more restrictions that we will have!

Everyone should CALL OUT reckless pilots!

2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

This new regulation, which the FAA filed earlier this month, would require the ID to be visible to an outside observer.

This sounds so like the idiots of our Government.  Hard enough to keep Mavic Pro with High-Vis Green insight, let alone see landing struts.  Shrink that down to size of Mavic Air and you got a dot.  Now try to put a sticker on outside of Mavic Air without it interefereing with camera, sensors, ability to swap battery or microSD card, and you got a speck on a dot.

I can see our puny little drones now, pathetically trying to pull a 2-foot by 10-foot ID banner behind them.

2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-6-2 16:24

More Red-tape Zombie Bureaucrats we have, more feel-good and worthless policies, rules, regulations, and laws we will have.
2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Here is another problem - Propaganda based on F.U.D.

Airplane-Drone Near-Misses in the U.K. Have More Than Tripled in Two Years
A new study by the U.K. Airprox Board suggests that near-collisions between airplanes and drones have increased at an alarming rate.

{Reminds me of GW}

Think this alludes to F.U.D.
“There’s a possibility there are a lot more near-misses that aren’t being seen,”  (Near-misses having been re-defined too?)

“It’s really hard to see something that small.  (Like say size of a bird?)  NEWS: FAA mandates ID Tags on all Birds!

This could just be the tip of the iceberg.”  (Theres the Titanic Reference for both sides of pond.)

2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I saw that coming.
When I got my drone, I put the label inside the battery case.  Then i bought labels for the outside.
IMG_20180602_205710.jpg
IMG_20180602_205454.jpg
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:02
Yeah, so I saw that one coming.

The day I got my Mavic Air,  I registered it.  Then I made this label:

and I already have another set waiting for when I put a skin on it.
2018-6-2
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

Did anyone notice that the link in the story goes to a story that has nothing to do with Drone labeling??
2018-6-2
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:06
and I already have another set waiting for when I put a skin on it.

3-D,
Very nice labels. Did you use a label maker or printed it out on sticky labels?
I have one inside the battery compartment  and I will be getting one for the outside soon.

2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:02
Yeah, so I saw that one coming.

The day I got my Mavic Air,  I registered it.  Then I made this label:

I can't decide between these two options:

FAA Registered - FAA3CM7K7Y -

or

FAA Registered - FAA#CM&K&Y -

Input?

2018-6-2
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-2 17:13
Did anyone notice that the link in the story goes to a story that has nothing to do with Drone labeling??

The information was posted on the MavicPilots forum
They also mention that Drone pilots might be required to take a test before they are allowed to fly.
2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-2 17:24
The information was posted on the MavicPilots forum
They also mention that Drone pilots might be required to take a test before they are allowed to fly.

Test better be based on low-standards of No Pilot Left Behind.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-2 17:17
3-D,
Very nice labels. Did you use a label maker or printed it out on sticky labels?
I have one inside the battery compartment  and I will be getting one for the outside soon.

the label in the battery compartment was with a label maker.

the outside labels were ordered from  ReclaimDrone

There are a few places online that make them.  I paid about $5
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-2 17:19
I can't decide between these two options:

FAA Registered - FA3AC7M7KY -

Of course you go with #2!
2018-6-2
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-2 17:24
The information was posted on the MavicPilots forum

Your link lead to a web site called THEDRIVE.  The article on THEDRIVE has a link in their story that lead to a Bloomberg site with Additional information.  That link leads to a story has nothing to do with a drone.  Is there anything official about this yet??
2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:29
Of course you go with #2!

I was kinda of going with #1, being its ''someone'' else ID.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-2 17:31
Your link lead to a web site called THEDRIVE.  The article on THEDRIVE has a link in their story that lead to a Bloomberg site with Additional information.  That link leads to a story has nothing to do with a drone.  Is there anything official about this yet??

This is the link that the article was probably trying to reference:  Bloomberg
The FAA website has not changed.  It still says that you must label your aircraft.  It also says that you can mark it inside of a battery compartment as long as it does not require a tool to open.  

I labeled mine the way I did just to be safe.  and it doesn't take away from the look of the quad., and it's not intrusive.

but as of right now, the FAA information has not changed.  You may govern yourself accordingly.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-2 17:38
I was kinda of going with #1, being its ''someone'' else ID.

Don't think that escaped me...

That's why I chose # 2.  If they can't read it, they won't come after ME!
2018-6-2
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:28
the label in the battery compartment was with a label maker.

the outside labels were ordered from  ReclaimDrone

Thanks 3-D
2018-6-2
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-2 17:31
Your link lead to a web site called THEDRIVE.  The article on THEDRIVE has a link in their story that lead to a Bloomberg site with Additional information.  That link leads to a story has nothing to do with a drone.  Is there anything official about this yet??

As far as I can tell by doing some research the FAA has just made this and other suggestions for Drones. I don't believe anything is official yet.

2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:48
Don't think that escaped me...

That's why I chose # 2.  If they can't read it, they won't come after ME!

You might want to Blur out other label.  Lot of not-so nice people roaming WWW.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

No problem!  

I actually have all of my batteries tagged as well.
2018-6-2
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 17:44
This is the link that the article was probably trying to reference:  Bloomberg
The FAA website has not changed.  It still says that you must label your aircraft.  It also says that you can mark it inside of a battery compartment as long as it does not require a tool to open.  

Thanks ,3-D
I also checked with the FAA and came to the same conclusion.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-2 17:53

good looking out.  i'll just delete that one.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-2 17:57
Thanks ,3-D
I also checked with the FAA and came to the same conclusion.

Yeah.  Plus, the article says "May need.." and "soon".

It's obvious that those are not regulations right now, but it's possible that it's coming.
2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-2 17:53

Done. Thanks again.

Now if you'll kindly change a few of the letters in your post, I'll be straight.
2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-2 18:28
Done. Thanks again.

Now if you'll kindly change a few of the letters in your post, I'll be straight.

I already did.  
2018-6-2
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

As long as the drones are the problem and the rule only applies to them.  Decades of model airplane flying and never had a problem.  My scale Piper Cub .25 would look weird with an FAA registration number on the outside that is not the full size airplane's tail number.

2018-6-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just the media being the media. Making up BS.  Usig buzzwords like triples rates and stuff, without citing valid sources of numbers.   Which I mean 0x3 = 0 ..just saying

Also the mentione dnear misses that are unseen..?  How the f..ck does that even work..?  And how is a lable on a pocket drone going to help if you can’t even see it in first place..?

Just making sh.t up, reclassifying and redefining terms needlessly, etc etc..   it actually wouldn’t surprise me if it’s legit, politicians are the worst ever about this sort of BS.. they will do anything to avoid being seen doing something, and I imagine the attack on drones is a precautionary one to prevent a drone from catching them buying hookers and blow..

They state no valid source of info is final nail in the coffin for me.

2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-2 19:22
Just the media being the media. Making up BS.  Usig buzzwords like triples rates and stuff, without citing valid sources of numbers.   Which I mean 0x3 = 0 ..just saying  

Also the mentione dnear misses that are unseen..?  How the f..clear does that even work..?  And how is a labor on a pocket drone going to help if you can’t even see it in first place..?

Easiest way to get Public to do what Government wants its to do is to create a Faux Crisis.  F.U.D. will motivate people into give up what they normally would not, for false sense of security.

2018-6-2
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-2 19:22

Also the mentione dnear misses that are unseen..?  How the f..ck does that even work..?  And how is a lable on a pocket drone going to help if you can’t even see it in first place..?

the politicians shouldn't worry about a drone catching them with the hookers and blow.  they should worry more about their own twitter account outing them.... but that's not just a different thread... that's a different forum!
2018-6-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

dronist Posted at 2018-6-2 16:24

I totally agree.
2018-6-2
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-2 17:13

Yep... That website has some questionable stuff.  The photo that accompanies the French authorities article has a photo of Tom Silva ( from the PBS "This Old House" series )!  I noticed that choosing various links resulted in nearly 40 blocked links/cookie attempts.  
2018-6-3
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4

"And how is a label on a pocket drone going to help if you can’t even see it in first place..? "

THANK YOU!!!  This is the bug that really bothers the hell out of me.  I don't mind relabeling my drone to meet their requirements, but to believe that this is a action that will "Safe Guard" the public is an idiotic idea.  I label my MP.  Fine.  So that people don't have to have the drone in their hands to open the compartment and look at the existing label.  As if you are going to be able to read a 10 Character assortment of Random letters and numbers on a tiny label at 200' in a fraction of a second.  Even with a pair of binoculars.  

This is what is referred to as a "Knee Jerk Reaction."  

No... I'm all in favor of registration.  I have no problem with that.  But this isn't going to solve the problem.  
2018-6-3
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-3 05:15
"And how is a label on a pocket drone going to help if you can’t even see it in first place..? "

THANK YOU!!!  This is the bug that really bothers the hell out of me.  I don't mind relabeling my drone to meet their requirements, but to believe that this is a action that will "Safe Guard" the public is an idiotic idea.  I label my MP.  Fine.  So that people don't have to have the drone in their hands to open the compartment and look at the existing label.  As if you are going to be able to read a 10 Character assortment of Random letters and numbers on a tiny label at 200' in a fraction of a second.  Even with a pair of binoculars.  

Actually I like the idea of having a FAA # visible on the aircraft . It simply says visible to an outside observer not to a far away outside observer ,LOL . I think they only want someone to be able to see a  registration # if they find it lying on the ground , their car or after it bounces off their head .
2018-6-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

My FAA tag has been on the outside of my birds since the beginning of registration. Even when it was overturn I still kept my tag on. But I agree you won't see the # at 100ft high . Also I didn't see anything on the FAA website.
2018-6-3
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4

Woe Posted at 2018-6-3 06:26
My FAA tag has been on the outside of my birds since the beginning of registration. Even when it was overturn I still kept my tag on. But I agree you won't see the # at 100ft high . Also I didn't see anything on the FAA website.

LOL.  So has mine.. been there since the day I registered it on December 25, 2016.  You are right.  You won't see that number at 100 feet up and you won't see that number when It flies by at 10 feet away at 20 MPH.  
2018-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I’m not to sure who has less savvy here, my thinking label on outside of aircraft for inspection by authorities if needed, members here (some) actually complaining it won’t be seen in the air, the mere fact that someone suggest this shows a serious lack of savvy. But hey each to his own.
2018-6-3
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

For drones only?  My UAV is a scale Piper Cub.  I will not put silly FAA RC model hobby pilot registration numbers on the outside of it.  Seeing the decades old scale model hobby ruined by photographers with drones now that scale models of the FW-190A-8 have to have a FAA number plastered on the tail.

2018-6-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2018-6-3 05:44
Actually I like the idea of having a FAA # visible on the aircraft . It simply says visible to an outside observer not to a far away outside observer ,LOL . I think they only want someone to be able to see a  registration # if they find it lying on the ground , their car or after it bounces off their head .

I think they only want someone to be able to see a  registration # if they find it lying on the ground , their car or after it bounces off their head .

That's about only time it will do any good.  Won't help one bit in near miss situations.  Unless authoriites are able to jump right on situation, and somehow track drone to person flying it.  At which point, having FAA ID tag on drone is going to be mute point.  Cause authorities have already tracked drone to person flying it!!!!

Really is going to come down to Law Enforcement hassling every drone pilot with:  

(Monty Python voice) Your Papers!  Show me your drone!  Ah ha!!!  No FAA ID Tag.  Off to Rack with this one!

Another Policy / Rule / Regulation / Law that will only apply to Good guys who follow it all, cause Bad guys - Don't Need No Stinking Badges.

2018-6-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules