Drifting/Unstable
4021 68 2018-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

You can see the point at where it takes off backwards.
Had made 3 other flights that day in the same place and conditions so wind played no part in this erratic behaviour.

2018-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-24 06:16
Well it happened again.
My MA suddenly shot off on its own and once again the only way to regain control was to hit the RTH button which luckily brought it back to near where it took off.
So disappointed, guess ill have to contact DJI yet again.

You say it returned home near to where it took off, did you have good gps lock before taking off ? Do you have a flight log you could post to link below.

Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post your link

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-6-24
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Sorry not comfortable posting that info publicly. I did however notice this warning after reviewing the flight log.

2018-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-24 08:59
Sorry not comfortable posting that info publicly. I did however notice this warning after reviewing the flight log.

[view_image]

IMU exceptional heading is usually a problem coming indirectly from compass, so let’s say you took off from concrete or close to metal structures then aircraft will exit gps of which you can see your gps was very light at 8, this does not sound or look like FW/SW issue but a standard issuefor all drones, and usually is caused by envoirment, also particularly taking off from under trees where it is particularly difficult to pick up good gps lock.
2018-6-24
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-24 09:28
IMU exceptional heading is usually a problem coming indirectly from compass, so let’s say you took off from concrete or close to metal structures then aircraft will exit gps of which you can see your gps was very light at 8, this does not sound or look like FW/SW issue but a standard issuefor all drones, and usually is caused by envoirment, also particularly taking off from under trees where it is particularly difficult to pick up good gps lock.

No concrete or metal anywhere near me at take off. I did notice the low sats so perhaps the trees.
Heres hoping that is all the problem was.
2018-6-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-24 12:47
No concrete or metal anywhere near me at take off. I did notice the low sats so perhaps the trees.
Heres hoping that is all the problem was.

Yes, trees tend to reduce sats significantly. Try in an open space and please report back.
2018-6-24
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-24 13:02
Yes, trees tend to reduce sats significantly. Try in an open space and please report back.

Funny part is I flew fly several other flights from that exact same locatin with no issues at all.
2018-6-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-24 08:59

[view_image]

Those are the latitude and longitude for your location. perhaps you want to blank them out on your image.
2018-6-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Since drone was recovered.  It would be worth TRYING to use Assistant-2 to access Mavic's internal FlightLogs and BlackBox data - saving all of it.  
Then get DJI involved to look at FlightLogs and BlackBox data for Drifting/Unstable flight.
2018-6-24
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-24 13:55
Since drone was recovered.  It would be worth TRYING to use Assistant-2 to access Mavic's internal FlightLogs and BlackBox data - saving all of it.  
Then get DJI involved to look at FlightLogs and BlackBox data for Drifting/Unstable flight.

How do you do that?
2018-6-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

You have to download Assistant-2 from DJI's website.   You need to get proper version for you computer (Windows or OS-X).  Assistant-2 is download you will find under drone model.

Once Assistant-2 is installed, you connect your computer to your drone using a USB cable.  

DJI's Assistant-2 installer package, and at least two of drivers used with it, are not signed.  You will need to disable Security check in your Windows system BIOS.
2018-6-24
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-24 15:14
You have to download Assistant-2 from DJI's website.   You need to get proper version for you computer (Windows or OS-X).  Assistant-2 is download you will find under drone model.

Once Assistant-2 is installed, you connect your computer to your drone using a USB cable.  

I know all that and have used assistsnt recently to re installl FW just not sure how to get the info off my MA you are suggesting I do.
2018-6-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-24 15:36
I know all that and have used assistsnt recently to re installl FW just not sure how to get the info off my MA you are suggesting I do.

Using Assistant-2, connect to your drone as you would to install / update Firmware.
In Assistant-2 there is a Menu listing choices.  Firmware is one of choices.  Look for choice for Flight Log data and other choice for BlackBox data.

I would post a Screensnap, but I don't have my MPP with me to get Assistant-2 to go past opening Connection screen.

You can choose where to store Flight Log data files and BlackBox data files on your computer system.

2018-6-24
Use props
NIGHTHAWK1982
lvl.1
Flight distance : 433402 ft

My Mavic has a drift issue as well. I have tried everything. It doesn't always do it but enough to be a little aggravating. Hope they fix it soon.
2018-6-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NIGHTHAWK1982 Posted at 2018-6-27 10:18
My Mavic has a drift issue as well. I have tried everything. It doesn't always do it but enough to be a little aggravating. Hope they fix it soon.

It’s important to know why it’s drifting , it would help analyzing if you could let us know at what altitude you are flying at when drifting occurs, and also is when flying or when hovering.
2018-6-29
Use props
Beeza77
lvl.2
Australia

My Mavic Air also drifting. Tried all the firmware refreshes and calibrations but no joy. Latest incident was hovering at 6m straight after launch. No concrete or metal nearby. Both compass and imu sensors normal. Was playing around with camera settings when MA just started moving around by itself. About 2m total drift from initial take off point. MA was also jerking backwards and forwards a bit as if it was receiving a signal to do so. After checking over the flight log there was some weird stuff happening! While the drifting was happening, there was no input from the control sticks and the log Showed that the MA had actually moved 15m even though it had really only moved about 2m. I also noticed the home point changed a couple of times while it was drifting. One minute the log Showed the MA in one spot and then with no input from the controller, it was all of a sudden in another spot about 10m away according to the graphic anyway. Almost like a GPS problem but I had a good GPS lock.  Not sure what's going on! Only been happening since latest MA firmware update.
2018-6-30
Use props
jerrytko1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 280722 ft
United Kingdom

Beeza77 Posted at 2018-6-30 06:22
My Mavic Air also drifting. Tried all the firmware refreshes and calibrations but no joy. Latest incident was hovering at 6m straight after launch. No concrete or metal nearby. Both compass and imu sensors normal. Was playing around with camera settings when MA just started moving around by itself. About 2m total drift from initial take off point. MA was also jerking backwards and forwards a bit as if it was receiving a signal to do so. After checking over the flight log there was some weird stuff happening! While the drifting was happening, there was no input from the control sticks and the log Showed that the MA had actually moved 15m even though it had really only moved about 2m. I also noticed the home point changed a couple of times while it was drifting. One minute the log Showed the MA in one spot and then with no input from the controller, it was all of a sudden in another spot about 10m away according to the graphic anyway. Almost like a GPS problem but I had a good GPS lock.  Not sure what's going on! Only been happening since latest MA firmware update.

Same problem for me. It is properly messed up .0400 firmware. Not confident to fly this fairly expensive drone at all. And almost two months now and still no fix for it. Not very good points for DJI.
2018-6-30
Use props
Gazoo
lvl.3
Canada

The two times it has happened to me have been from a hovering position.
I think my MA just gets impatient and says to hell with you im going flying!
2018-6-30
Use props
Nick1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 248258 ft
United States

Had a flyaway last night which resulted in clipping side of my house and a very damaged mav air

Wish I knew about this firmware issue beforehand
2018-7-2
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I lost faith in my MA also, sometimes fine others when doing a precision takeoff it would jerk to the left and typically fly off to the left rather than going straight. I bought it after my Karma behaved less than perfect but at least it could fly typically in a straight line. Bought a P4PV2 now which at least behaves and am looking forward to flying MA once we have a fix that works (tried recalibration of all sensors and software reload but it still plays up on some flights).
2018-7-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Gazoo, we're sorry for the late response first. May I know what's the current status if the drone? Is there any obvious damage? If not and there is no error message in APP, please kindly upload the issue video and export the corresponding flight logs(tick Flight Record&Sensing, Navigation, Gimbal, Camera and System) for further analysis, thanks in advance!
Flight logs.png
2018-7-12
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Gazoo Posted at 2018-6-30 12:15
The two times it has happened to me have been from a hovering position.
I think my MA just gets impatient and says to hell with you im going flying!

You might want to check out the thread I created a while ago when 0400 was released:

Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400

MANY pilots, including myself, have experienced an IMU error which caused a runaway / crash situation with the MA. And the suggestion by @hallmark007 about the compass being a possible instigator of this problem should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, he really doesn't know very much, as has been recently exposed.

However, having only 8 GPS sat locks at 4 bars quality at takeoff can definitely be a contributing factor here too, no denying that. I do not try to take off unless I have at LEAST 10 sat locks with 5 bars quality, preferring to wait for 12 or more if I can.

At this point, the only workarounds seem to be a complete re-flash of the FW via DJI Assistant 2. 1.2.4 (note it has to be done with 1.2.4 and not an older version), and then re-calibrate everything, including VPS, RC sticks, everything. When you go to calibrate the VPS, find a COMPLETELY level surface (verify X and Y axis flatness with bubble level), otherwise the IMU calibration will be skewed and cause the drone to act even more "strange"...

Some pilots have reported their issues have gone away, and stayed away, after this process. Others, like myself, have had the issues come back after a few flights. No way to know if you'll be the lucky one until you try.

Only other sensible action is to either ground your drone and wait for DJI to finally issue a fix, or have it replaced, hopefully under warranty, and see if the replacement is any better. I actually went and bought a second unit for testing, and it worked awesome for the first half dozen or so flights, then started going wonky again.

Perhaps you'll have better luck than others here!
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

NIGHTHAWK1982 Posted at 2018-6-27 10:18

Sir, could you offer more details of the drifting issue? If this appears in every flight in open field, please kindly refer 61# and offer the video and logs, we'll forward to our engineers for further analysis.
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Beeza77 Posted at 2018-6-30 06:22
My Mavic Air also drifting. Tried all the firmware refreshes and calibrations but no joy. Latest incident was hovering at 6m straight after launch. No concrete or metal nearby. Both compass and imu sensors normal. Was playing around with camera settings when MA just started moving around by itself. About 2m total drift from initial take off point. MA was also jerking backwards and forwards a bit as if it was receiving a signal to do so. After checking over the flight log there was some weird stuff happening! While the drifting was happening, there was no input from the control sticks and the log Showed that the MA had actually moved 15m even though it had really only moved about 2m. I also noticed the home point changed a couple of times while it was drifting. One minute the log Showed the MA in one spot and then with no input from the controller, it was all of a sudden in another spot about 10m away according to the graphic anyway. Almost like a GPS problem but I had a good GPS lock.  Not sure what's going on! Only been happening since latest MA firmware update.

Hi Beeza77, we're sorry for the troubles. May I know where is the drone now? If the drone damaged in the incident, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support If the unit is still under warranty period, we'll offer you a proper solution according to the data analysis result.
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jerrytko1 Posted at 2018-6-30 06:27
Same problem for me. It is properly messed up .0400 firmware. Not confident to fly this fairly expensive drone at all. And almost two months now and still no fix for it. Not very good points for DJI.

Jerry, I'm sorry for the late response. Our engineers are still checking the exact status. Could you refer the 61# and offer the corresponding data for analysis? Thank you so much!
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Nick1 Posted at 2018-7-2 13:16
Had a flyaway last night which resulted in clipping side of my house and a very damaged mav air  

Wish I knew about this firmware issue beforehand [view_image]

Nick, I just read your post and responded as well: https://forum.dji.com/thread-154941-2-1.html
Please keep us posted there, thanks!
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

IM35461 Posted at 2018-7-2 13:30
I lost faith in my MA also, sometimes fine others when doing a precision takeoff it would jerk to the left and typically fly off to the left rather than going straight. I bought it after my Karma behaved less than perfect but at least it could fly typically in a straight line. Bought a P4PV2 now which at least behaves and am looking forward to flying MA once we have a fix that works (tried recalibration of all sensors and software reload but it still plays up on some flights).

I understand your concerns, and there are several points need to confirm: Does the issue appear in every flight? Have you tried to calibrate the RC? Sorry for my question as I'm not sure whether it is included in your calibration. If the issue remains, please kindly offer the issue video for further assistance, thanks so much!
2018-7-12
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft

I love my mavic pro. Tried and tested!
2018-7-12
Use props
Atyl1972
lvl.2

guys am I right in saying that its a very good idea to cycle your batteries, obvs if you have more than 1, and is it also correct that the batteries get firmware also, could this be an issue where batteries are not being cycled, or not updated? only asking as I have seen this on yt.
2018-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules