Firmware update bricked my Battery!!
1684 25 2018-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

v02.00.0700 caused a battery error and now I can't tuse that battery! I saw many people experienced similar issues.   I tried rolling back the firmware but to no avail.  I assume DJI will send me a new battery since it is indeed their shotty firmware that cause the problem?  RTIGH?
2018-6-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

No, fairly sure they won't.
2018-6-3
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

well they damn well should unless they want to avoid me bad mouthing their product to everyone online and in person.  Surely a battery they make in their factory for less than ten bucks is worth giving up over losing potential thousands of dollars in drone sales?  DJI is responsible for damaging my property. NOT ME. THEM.
2018-6-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Midnight Son Posted at 2018-6-3 20:09
well they damn well should unless they want to avoid me bad mouthing their product to everyone online and in person.  Surely a battery they make in their factory for less than ten bucks is worth giving up over losing potential thousands of dollars in drone sales?  DJI is responsible for damaging my property. NOT ME. THEM.

Yep, thats the right way to go about it, threatening them has always worked in the past........
2018-6-3
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

Midnight Son Posted at 2018-6-3 20:09
well they damn well should unless they want to avoid me bad mouthing their product to everyone online and in person.  Surely a battery they make in their factory for less than ten bucks is worth giving up over losing potential thousands of dollars in drone sales?  DJI is responsible for damaging my property. NOT ME. THEM.

Also apparently there are consumer protection laws here in Canada that are supposed to prevent companies from taking advantage of consumers like this.  So if DJI wants to make it a legal matter, no sweat off my back.
2018-6-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Midnight Son Posted at 2018-6-3 20:27
Also apparently there are consumer protection laws here in Canada that are supposed to prevent companies from taking advantage of consumers like this.  So if DJI wants to make it a legal matter, no sweat off my back.

This is primarily a user forum, DJI do not offer much in the way of advice other than to send it in for repair. They also do not reply to people making threats. If you had understood that, and come here asking for help, then you would have got some useful advice about what to do, but with your approach, you would be lucky if anyone bothered.
2018-6-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I‘m sorry to read the troubles. Just to verify, does the issue only appear one battery, right? Have you tried to connect with DJI Assistant 2 to refresh the firmware? If no luck, please kindly start a case and send it in: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-6-4
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The road you're wanting to travel will lead to only more disappointment and frustration.  Best bet is to just get it repaired and flying again.
2018-6-4
Use props
BadZ28
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15965 ft
United States

I had the same exact thing happen to my Mavic on one of the batteries after an update a couple weeks back. Was told only a 6 month warranty on batteries. My Mavic only has just over an hour of total flight time with all 3 batteries. So maybe only 1 or 2 charges total and now it's says bad cell. Not something you would expect on a $1200 drone and $90 battery. No issues with my P4 YET, that won't make me happy if that happens too.   
2018-6-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

BadZ28 Posted at 2018-6-12 03:24
I had the same exact thing happen to my Mavic on one of the batteries after an update a couple weeks back. Was told only a 6 month warranty on batteries. My Mavic only has just over an hour of total flight time with all 3 batteries. So maybe only 1 or 2 charges total and now it's says bad cell. Not something you would expect on a $1200 drone and $90 battery. No issues with my P4 YET, that won't make me happy if that happens too.

Check the battery firmware using DJI Assistant 2, perhaps an update is all that is needed.

Failing that I would do a deep discharge on that battery (10%), let it cool, and then recharge fully, see if that makes a difference.
2018-6-12
Use props
BadZ28
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15965 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-12 04:17
Check the battery firmware using DJI Assistant 2, perhaps an update is all that is needed.

Failing that I would do a deep discharge on that battery (10%), let it cool, and then recharge fully, see if that makes a difference.

I will give that a try, I did plug mavic into my laptop and used the assistant program, nothing said anywhere about battery firmware
2018-6-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BadZ28 Posted at 2018-6-12 10:58
I will give that a try, I did plug mavic into my laptop and used the assistant program, nothing said anywhere about battery firmware

With the Mavic plugged in it will indicate 'update' if battery needs done as the battery firmware is one of the modules updated during the aircraft update.
2018-6-12
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

I want to thank DJI for doing the right thing and sending me a new battery.

And for those who all told me to give up and just accept what happened, all I can say is, try to have stronger convictions in life.  At least when it pertains to companies trying to rake you over the coals.  You should NEVER accept no for an answer, especially when that company is in the wrong.  Again, DJI did the right thing so I give them props and will still remain a DJI customer because of it.  
2018-6-13
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-3 20:26
Yep, thats the right way to go about it, threatening them has always worked in the past........

you were saying?
2018-6-13
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

Badz28 pretty sure the mavic hasn't had a battery update in the last few firmware iterations.... also firmware will not cause a bad cell in a battery I'm sorry but I just do not buy that it seems like you have had the batteries for a while.... so maybe letting them sit for a while could have led to this.... did you by chance leave this particular battery fully charged for a long time? Another thing that will cause bad cells or kill the life of a lipos leaving it very low for long periods of time.... like say 20% for 6 months then you go back to it and it has 2% left. LiPO batteries are very needy you cannot leave them fully charged for a long time nor fully discharged they like to be in storage charge and need attention every so often. But yes like I was saying I do not think firmware what cause a bad cell. if anything it would cause a battery error what I mean by that is you have the two middle lights that are on and didn't complete firmware for the battery. or a battery authentication error in the app.
2018-6-13
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

Midnight Son.... consider yourself lucky.....really you could have screwed up on doing the firmware update. DJI doesn't know if your battery was low when you started the update, there is a few things you could have screwed up as the end user . after all you did Flash the firmware. All I'm saying is you should be more grateful.... they could have told you to pound sand and kick rocks. they have no clue what that battery has been through. but instead they took care of you.
2018-6-13
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-6-13 14:09
Midnight Son.... consider yourself lucky.....really you could have screwed up on doing the firmware update. DJI doesn't know if your battery was low when you started the update, there is a few things you could have screwed up as the end user . after all you did Flash the firmware. All I'm saying is you should be more grateful.... they could have told you to pound sand and kick rocks. they have no clue what that battery has been through. but instead they took care of you.

And I praised them for it as I said I would. And again no no it was nothing I did.  I followed all proper precautions, and the battery was fully charged.  I also sent them the upgrade logs as they requested and they obviously saw it was indeed an error with their firmware that caused the issue.
2018-6-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was referring to how you spoke of which prompted my reply, i bet ya didnt speak that way during your support tickets....
2018-6-13
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-13 19:09
I was referring to how you spoke of which prompted my reply, i bet ya didnt speak that way during your support tickets....

Then you bet wrong.
2018-6-14
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ah, my hero....
2018-6-14
Use props
Midnight Son
lvl.1
Canada

I'm no hero.  I'm just a man.  A man with just enough courage to stand up for whats right and tell our would-be corporate oppressors that we will no longer stand for their anti-consumer ways.  That I and many like me will fight for our rights as gatekeepers of our wallets, and we will take that fight to them!   We shall go on to the end. We shall fight with online retailers, we shall fight in the mom and pop and big box stores, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our hard earned money, whatever the cost may be(except the cost of our cash). We shall fight in the dollar stores, we shall fight in the overpriced coffee houses, we shall fight in the grocers and in the street markets, we shall fight all over social media; we shall never surrender.

Or you know, just don't let companies take advantage of you.
2018-6-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-4 03:33
The road you're wanting to travel will lead to only more disappointment and frustration.  Best bet is to just get it repaired and flying again.

Are batteries repairable, or only replaceable?

Do you want a refurbished intelligent flight pack, in your pricey Phantom, for what it is worth? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-6-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Midnight Son Posted at 2018-6-14 19:40
I'm no hero.  I'm just a man.  A man with just enough courage to stand up for whats right and tell our would-be corporate oppressors that we will no longer stand for their anti-consumer ways.  That I and many like me will fight for our rights as gatekeepers of our wallets, and we will take that fight to them!   We shall go on to the end. We shall fight with online retailers, we shall fight in the mom and pop and big box stores, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our hard earned money, whatever the cost may be(except the cost of our cash). We shall fight in the dollar stores, we shall fight in the overpriced coffee houses, we shall fight in the grocers and in the street markets, we shall fight all over social media; we shall never surrender.

Or you know, just don't let companies take advantage of you.

Glad you are experiencing the relief this forum can supply, with support to its members.

Good luck with your intelligent flight battery and drone in the future.

Enjoy your time on the forum.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-14 21:33
Are batteries repairable, or only replaceable?

Do you want a refurbished intelligent flight pack, in your pricey Phantom, for what it is worth? ;-)

Was referring to his " bricked" drone.  My take of it was the update had damaged all his equipment.
2018-6-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-15 03:34
Was referring to his " bricked" drone.  My take of it was the update had damaged all his equipment.

Yes, figured as much, a minute too late.
I feel bad for anyone who experiences this sort of malfunction. Have good feelings, he gets this resolved satisfactorily
Hope-Fully these are extremely rare cases.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-15
Use props
Black hawk
lvl.1
Canada

Same problem after last update batteries are bricked won't take a charge, thats 2 batteries one which is new only 6 cycles. yeah
2018-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules