Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When can we get a full spherical panorama option in DJI GO?
571 2 2018-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmfx
New
United States

This weekend I was out at Lake Tahoe with lots of beautiful scenery, and often wanted to be able to capture an entire location for later viewing in Oculus.  I brought my new Osmo Mobile 2 along which was great for shooting video and taking wide shots.  But the "spherical" pano mode left a lot to be desired.  The entire sky and ground is missing, and there is a large chunk behind the camera that is not photographed at all unless I physically turn the gimbal around and shoot a "super wide angle" set after the main pano.

I understand that the hardware limiters prevent the gimbal from turning a full 360, but I've done tests where I used the joystick to manually pan the gimbal to its limits, and with the wide fov camera that is on most phones, it is able to easily shoot 2 backward photos that have a decent amount of overlap, I estimate about 50-100 pixels.  This may result in a seam but you'd still get full coverage.  It also has no problem shooting straight up or down when operated manually.  I've tried an app called Osmo 360, which is not made for the Mobile products, but still operates the Mobile 2 gimbal.  It is able to shoot a user defined number of photos per row at specified tilt angles, which can include several at the zenith and nadir.  The only problem is that, being made for the Osmo's dedicated camera, it isn't able to connect to the phone's camera or record any files into storage.  But it shows that a full range of motion can indeed be controlled through software.

A major part of why I bought this gimbal was that the description seemed to indicate that full spheres could be shot.  The panos it does shoot are done very quickly, which is ideal for me since I'm usually traveling with other people and have limited time to do a proper setup and shoot panoramas manually.  I just need more pics in more directions.  I thought I could trick it into shooting zenith and nadir by holding the handle parallel to the ground to point the camera upward, but DJI GO insists that the handle be held vertically before shooting panos for no apparent reason, since it has no problem shooting in other modes with this orientation.  If DJI GO would at least allow me to override this limitation and shoot a super wide angle upward/downward, this would be a decent option.  But there seems no reason why the app couldn't shoot an entire sphere (or at least closer to one) completely autonomously.  When can we get a full spherical panorama option in DJI GO?

2018-6-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thank you for your feedback and we do apologize for the inconvenience, we will forward your request to our engineers so that we can check what we can do to make it possible,
2018-6-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Would be great indeed!
2018-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now