3611 11 2018-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lofas33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6545 ft
Czechia

Hi guys,

I bought my new Spark about week ago. Its so small and stable. I love it. This is my first drone, so first few days I was just watching tutorial videos, reading tips, manuals etc. First fights I was just few meters around me, learning with drone and DJI Go app cause this is my first drone. When I found out that its not hard to control my Spark and with obstacle sensors and proper RTH setup I dont need to be scared about crashing. So decided to try a longer distance flight and than problems starts. In distance about 70-80m DJI Go app writes: "Signal is too weak, please adjust antenna". After few more meters connection lost and Spark initiates RTH. I tried it few more times on different places with less or no interference, but still the same. So I start looking for answers on internet.

These are tips I found out and tried:

1. Try older version of DJI Go App - Exactly v4.1.15 - Tested on Android 8.0 Samsung Galaxy S9 and Android 6.0 Nexus 5X
Result - Nothing changed. Still disconnects in 100m

2. Try calibrate IMU and Compass.
Result - Nothing changed. Still disconnects in 100m

3. Refresh drone firmware and reinstall DJI Go app on Phone - Tested on Android 8.0 Samsung Galaxy S9 and Android 6.0 Nexus 5X
Result -  Nothing changed. Still disconnects in 100m (Tested with DJI Go 4.1.15 and with newest v4.2.16)

4. Try use 2.4Ghz WiFi.
Result - After playing with DJI Go app I found out that lower frequency bands use 2.4GHz and higher 5.8GHz, So I tried to change band to lower one to get 2.4GHz but when drone was about 50m away from me, it automatically changed to 5.8GHz even when I force on Android 6 to use only 2.4GHz WiFi. So result was the same. Still disconnects in 100m.

5. Try using iPhone.
Result - With my girlfriend's iPhone 6S and newest DJi Go app the distance increses to 170m than disconnects.

I dont want to fly with Spark 2km away, Im not stupid. But as I read in manual in my location (Central Europe) I should be able to get 300m distance on 5.8GHz and 500m on 2.4GHz with no problems and thats what I want to achieve with stable connection.

I would be happy to get 300m distance with no connection issues on Android phone. Maybe OTG should help, But I read somewhere its not supported now...?? Maybe different DJI go apk version? Or maybe something else?

Please guys I will be really happy if you give me advices and tips how Can I get better distance range on Android phone.
Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad English.
2018-6-5
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, your experience is similar to my own. I can get around 100m to 130m with several "signal is too weak" warnings along the way. I did get an extra 10m to 20m or so by using 2.4ghz instead of 5.8ghz. Unfortunately, that just seems to be the way it is, at least in the UK. And the manual actually states that 300m on 5.8ghz and 500m on 2.4ghz is under perfect conditions, so you'll never get that much in the real world. The only way to extend your range would seem to be using an iPhone or tricking your Spark into thinking it's in the USA so as to use the increased transmission strength that FCC allows.
2018-6-5
Use props
Weesel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133179 ft
Germany

JimFandango Posted at 2018-6-5 01:18
Hi, your experience is similar to my own. I can get around 100m to 130m with several "signal is too weak" warnings along the way. I did get an extra 10m to 20m or so by using 2.4ghz instead of 5.8ghz. Unfortunately, that just seems to be the way it is, at least in the UK. And the manual actually states that 300m on 5.8ghz and 500m on 2.4ghz is under perfect conditions, so you'll never get that much in the real world. The only way to extend your range would seem to be using an iPhone or tricking your Spark into thinking it's in the USA so as to use the increased transmission strength that FCC allows.

Hi!

Just to clarify - you are using a remote, right (because of the OTG i guess so)? Did you adjust the Antennas the right way? Not pointing on Spark but keeping them in an 90° angle to Spark. Last but not least you could try FCC mode which should improve the Signal significantly. You will find different ways on bringing Spark to FCC via Google

Greetz
Weesel

Edit: With FCC i get around 1,2km, everything else Stock - with CE Signal dropped at about 300-400m depending on the place i flew. Sometimes in the City i did not even get it to 150m...
2018-6-5
Use props
lofas33
lvl.1
Czechia

Thank you guys, Yes I adjust antennas right way, saw a lot of tutorials how adjust antennas. Yes using remote without OTG. So I will try force FCC today and do some tests. Is there a way to Force FCC without mocking GPS location?

Weesel you are using Android or iPhone when you get 300-400m on CE?

Thanks you guys again for your advices!
2018-6-5
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Hi, with my setup. NO RC. Iphone 6 ONLY for control i get 80-90 meters before disconnect,, with wifi repeater. Xiaomi mi. I get 330meters easy and height of 120meters..although app should stop it at 50 m heigh and 100meters away.  But it is a good glitch of it is a glitch.  A pic of my setup
2018-6-5
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

What you can do is find 4.1.14, change to 2.4 GHZ without OTG cable , then update to 4.1.15 (wifi stays on 2.4) then use OTG cable again.
2018-6-5
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

lofas33 Posted at 2018-6-5 02:18
Thank you guys, Yes I adjust antennas right way, saw a lot of tutorials how adjust antennas. Yes using remote without OTG. So I will try force FCC today and do some tests. Is there a way to Force FCC without mocking GPS location?

Weesel you are using Android or iPhone when you get 300-400m on CE?

The best range I ever got from my Spark was by using DJI GO 4 4.1.14 with an OTG cable that allowed me to use the 2,4 GHz band (over 400m range under the CE setting). Unfortunatelly that required Spark firmware .600 that is not available anymore. Right now I am also suffering by the bug that prevents me from changing the band from 5,8 to 2,4GHz and forget about any help from DJI as they keep denying that it exists despite many people bringing it up on this forum.

What I did to improve my range was to fool the DJI GO 4 app to believe that I am in the USA and it offered me to change the WiFi settings to comply with the FCC regulation. After that I turned the fake GPS App off and everytime I turn the DJI GO 4 on, it asks me whether I want to change the WiFi settings back (to CE) and when I choose NO it stays under the FCC. I still use an OTG cable.
2018-6-5
Use props
Weesel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133179 ft
Switzerland

lofas33 Posted at 2018-6-5 02:18

Weesel you are using Android or iPhone when you get 300-400m on CE?

Hi!

On Android with stock App on CE, no OTG and therefore 5,8Ghz (but the 300-400m were not possible in the City Center...).

Now i am using the TSS app with FCC, but still no OTG. OTG did not improve anything for me as I left WiFi on Auto (I am perfectly fine with over 1K distance - never Change a running System )

Greetz
Weesel
2018-6-5
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

I found this intresting to read https://nolimitdronez.com/birdmap
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. Please try to adjust the remote control's antenna for better signal transmission. Thank you.
2018-6-5
Use props
lofas33
lvl.1
Czechia

Thank you all guys for your help. I will try FCC mode. Can you please tell me one more thing, is it safe to use FCC in CE region? Couldn't I put someone in danger? Why in Europe FCC isn't allowed?  Thanks again for your help and sorry for my bad english.
2018-6-6
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

It isn't allowed in Europe, you are on the dark side if you go on FCC.
I don't know if you get warranty if you do so. I never heard or read if so.
2018-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules