If I get a Spark for someone under 13...
1857 15 2018-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Enigmatic9
lvl.2
United States

If I get a Spark for someone under 13 can their parents register the drone with the FAA and the child could still fly the drone?

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Of course they can Register the Drone, but the Spark is a very expensive Drone for a Kid of 13yrs.

If they accompany the 13yrs old kid when he is flying I don't think there will be a Problem, even if somethings happens, or crashes on Private Property, his Parents can handle the Situation more Easily.

If the Kid can handle the Drone, Settings etc. all will be ok. (At First, Better with an Adult Supervisor).
2018-6-5
Use props
EnigmaticFlight
lvl.2
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-5 10:00
Of course they can Register the Drone, but the Spark is a very expensive Drone for a Kid of 13yrs.

Thanks! Just clarifying- they can register the drone and the child can fly the drone?

I understand that the parents can register I just want to make sure the child can fly it under their registration. Sorry to bother you.

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

EnigmaticFlight Posted at 2018-6-5 10:02
Thanks! Just clarifying- they can register the drone and the child can fly the drone?

I understand that the parents can register I just want to make sure the child can fly it under their registration. Sorry to bother you.

Check with the FAA Website. It seems that over 13yrs they can Register the Drone. If in doubt Phone them.

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

FAA Rules - 2018

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/

UAS Flown under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336)

If you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you must:
  • Register as a "modeler"
  • Label your model aircraft with your registration number
       In order to register, you must be:
  • 13  years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of  age, a  person 13 years of age or older must register the model aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
       In order to register, you'll need:
  • Email address
  • Credit or debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
       Register online (must weigh less than 55 pounds).
       Register an unmanned aircraft by paper.

* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon  arrival in  the United States (online registration serves as a  certificate of  ownership).
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Kids these Days....

2018-6-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Why don't you look into the DJI Tello? It's very similar to the Spark and more fun to fly for someone under 13. You don't need to register the Tello. It can be flown with only a smartphone and it can fly much faster than the Spark (17 MPH).

The Tello can take a bump or two and it flies great indoors, whereas the Spark is more of an outdoor drone and GPS makes it too complicated. Honestly anyone starting out with drones especially that young should be moving up from a Tello to a Spark, as you need to be experienced handling RC's.

I was 13 years old in 1988 when getting my first hobby grade RC. It was only a Tamyia Hornet race car but in those days it went up to 25 MPH 300 feet away. The 1980s back then had sophisticated planes and helicopters and I grew up down the street from my Elementary where hobbyists use to fly them and showed me how. That was how I first prepared for learning how to fly DJI drones.
2018-6-5
Use props
EnigmaticFlight
lvl.2
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-5 10:09
Why don't you start with a Eachine E58 only some $50 - $60, and looks like the Mavic Pro ?

It doesn't have GPS, and will be a Good Start Point for the Kid.

Oh I think you misunderstood me! I was not asking if it was physically possible for a kid to fly the drone (or easy to) but if legally a kid could fly a drone a parent has registered.
2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

EnigmaticFlight Posted at 2018-6-5 11:51
Oh I think you misunderstood me! I was not asking if it was physically possible for a kid to fly the drone (or easy to) but if legally a kid could fly a drone a parent has registered.

If the FAA Rules say that a Kid can register from 13 Years Up, of course that his Parents can Register for Him / Her and he / she can fly the Drone.

If the Parents Register for Him / Her, I think you will be on the Right Track. For a Kid that Age as I told you before, I suggest an Adult Supervisor with the Kid.

Kids can be tempted to do Adventurous Stuff, and what comes in mind is, if they lose the drone near a hill or side of a cliff and go to retrieve it, they can get Hurt or Fall.

With an Adult Parent with them, they will be Far Safer, Buddy !

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-5 11:48
Why don't you look into the DJI Tello? It's very similar to the Spark and more fun to fly for someone under 13. You don't need to register the Tello. It can be flown with only a smartphone and it can fly much faster than the Spark (17 MPH).

The Tello can take a bump or two and it flies great indoors, whereas the Spark is more of an outdoor drone and GPS makes it too complicated. Honestly anyone starting out with drones especially that young should be moving up from a Tello to a Spark, as you need to be experienced handling RC's.

Good Idea David ! The Tello didn't come up in my Mind !

2018-6-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

EnigmaticFlight Posted at 2018-6-5 11:51

Look at the Tello, Enigma -

2018-6-5
Use props
EnigmaticFlight
lvl.2
United States

Quick question of FAA registration. Does the Spark count under the part 107 form or the model aircraft one?
2018-6-5
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

EnigmaticFlight Posted at 2018-6-5 16:44
Quick question of FAA registration. Does the Spark count under the part 107 form or the model aircraft one?

It is not the model craft that determines 336 or part 107, it is how you intend to fly.

336 as a hobbyist - for fun

Part 107 for commercial purposes - you are going to make money.

The DJI Spark can be flown for a commercial purpose just as much as the DJI Matrice 600 Pro can be flown for fun.

Part 107 is a specific license too.
So if you do not have it, 336 is the way to go.

2018-6-5
Use props
EnigmaticFlight
lvl.2
United States

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-5 17:29
It is not the model craft that determines 336 or part 107, it is how you intend to fly.

Thank you!
2018-6-5
Use props
EnigmaticFlight
lvl.2
United States

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-5 17:29

Thank you!
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi EnigmaticFlight, please note Spark is not suitable for the children under the age of 15, it is not recommended for a child who is under 13 to fly the drone for safety concern, thanks for your understanding. Please read more about the Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... delines_V1.2_EN.pdf GTScreenshot_20180606_113720.png
2018-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules