Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Olympus 45mm lens
1841 11 2018-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Olympus 45mm MFT lens for my Osmo Pro but am a bit confused about something so was hoping someone here could clarify it for me.

On DJI's website it lists the Olympus lens as being compatible with the X5 and says that it does not need a balancing ring, but there are numerous YouTube videos and forum posts detailing how to balance the lens on the Osmo Pro/X5.

Do I need to balance this lens with the X5 or not?  And if so why does the DJI site say that it doesn't need a balancing ring?

Thanks in advance,

Alistair
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Alistair,

We apologized for the inconvenience. Please see the attachment below.
2018-6-5
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Paladin and thanks for replying so quickly.   I have seen that infographic previously, it's the YouTube videos showing how to "balance" the lens with various filters/lens hoods etc that have me confused.
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Advocate Posted at 2018-6-5 12:31
Hi Paladin and thanks for replying so quickly.   I have seen that infographic previously, it's the YouTube videos showing how to "balance" the lens with various filters/lens hoods etc that have me confused.

Hello Alistair,

You're welcome. Can you please provide us the link to the videos that you are referring to? Thank you.
2018-6-5
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Paladin,

There's this one,
and this one,
then there's and
to name just a few.

Searching for "how to balance Olympus 45mm" yields many more results.  Watching these videos the lens does indeed look "unbalanced" in each video initially, it seems to tip backwards, and I wouldn't want to over stress the motors in my Osmo Pro.
2018-6-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Indeed Oly 45mm will tilt back when used without ND filter, although the off-balance is rather negligible and the gimbal should handle this. Incurable perfectionist like myself is using step-up ring 37-46mm as a balancer/adapter for typical 46mm ND filter. The gimbal is behaving well with or without filter attached.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... step_up.html?sts=pi
2018-6-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Advocate Posted at 2018-6-5 15:45
Hi Paladin,

There's this one,

Hello Alistair,

Thank you for the videos. We will forward your concern to our R&D engineers. As per the manual, it doesn't need balancing ring for the X5 camera and about the videos that you sent, we can see that they added a coin to the left side of the gimbal motor which is not recommended by DJI. I will get in touch with you as soon as we get a response from our engineers.
2018-6-6
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Paladin,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm getting married and going on honeymoon in just over a week hence the new lens, I'm hoping to get some awesome footage with my Osmos so want to be sure I've got everything covered before the big day.

Thanks for your reply too Matthew.

Alistair
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Advocate Posted at 2018-6-6 11:51
Hi Paladin,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm getting married and going on honeymoon in just over a week hence the new lens, I'm hoping to get some awesome footage with my Osmos so want to be sure I've got everything covered before the big day.

Hi,

Congratulations Alistair. Best wishes on this wonderful journey, as you build your new lives together. Don't worry I will notify you as soon as possible I get a response from our engineers.
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi Paladin,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm getting married and going on honeymoon in just over a week hence the new lens, I'm hoping to get some awesome footage with my Osmos so want to be sure I've got everything covered before the big day.

Hi Alistair,

We already have a response from our R&D engineers and they said we don't need to mount balancing ring for Olympus 45mm lens.
2018-6-8
Use props
RobertAngier
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft

Hi Paladin,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm getting married and going on honeymoon in just over a week hence the new lens, I'm hoping to get some awesome footage with my Osmos so want to be sure I've got everything covered before the big day.

Hopefully, you have all of your answers now, but I just wanted to chime in, I have owned and used the Olympus 45mm, 25mm, and the 12mm with the Osmo pro and none of them require the balance ring. I have also used all the lenses with a variable ND filter on the Osmo pro and all of them functioned as intended. I also would like to note that after using the 45mm on a shoot I ended up returning it because I found the FOV incompatible with my shooting style. You really do have to be quite a ways away to get good framing with that lens on the Osmo, also my shoots tend to have a lot of motion and keeping things in frame with that lens was tricky, I'm curious to see how you like, be sure to follow up after using it on your trip.
2018-6-16
Use props
EMBE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 320118 ft
  • >>>

The 45 mm is working fine and without balancing. For the holiday the 12-42 olympus might be the better choice. But with this lens you need a balancing ring. Might bit a bit more flexibel because of its zoom.
2018-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules