Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

I think the issues are widely varied because not every person flies every day. Few do actually considering how many are sold. I've talked with many people in our local drone club here that get out every 2-3 weeks. Many never notice the issues, many are not crazy YT'ers and flying 3 miles out. Most use for fun, on occasion, and some use when on vacation. I think most owners that have these use them a bit, then lay off a while after the novelty wears off.

Avid flyers see these problems routinely. Non avid flyers often experience changes in app and fw, though they never experienced the issue or reason for the update. They fire it up a month or so later, it updates, app auto updates in most cases, and they don't really notice the issues many avid flyers report. If I go based on just our club and new owners here, that many got for Christmas 2017, early birthdays in Spring mos, and were waiting for good weather or "that opportunity", then yes there are tons of these sold and the problems to them are minimal or never noticed.

My Spark also had that "attack" issue. Did it once in active track and nearly took out my mom. Good thing she ducked. Some others in our club with Mavic Air having major issues are not forum people. They don't go here, or Facebook etc. They just want to fly occasionally and want a safe product. Many stopped using active track.

Most simply fear the fly away stuff. If you really want to see novices baby a drone, join a drone or RC club. We get guys that won't fly more than 500 yds or 75' high in one of the biggest RC fields here. They still have fun doing it. Again, owners, have several drones even, just randomly fly.. not avid at all. Our group is mostly 77 guys routinely flying, though we have more than 600 in the membership.

Some see their drone like they would a camcorder. Take it out when needed. Some retain what they know, most do not. Most go right back into "now what do I do" mode. I see this a ton.
2018-7-6
Use props
North Idaho Guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2310082 ft
  • >>>
United States

And meanwhile back at the Batcave, DJI is offering another "No reversies"  on downgrades rev's on their latest FW update for Mavic Pro.........

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D400%26typeid%3D400

"Once the firmware has been updated, it cannot be downgraded to a former version"

Hmmmm, why does this not sit well for some reason? Maybe it HAS to be this way? For some reason from the beyond? Last time, I recall, a poster or two (yes, yes, grain of salt) claiming that a non-downgradable (MA FW 0.400) must be for safety reasons, so "it must be very important and we should do it" and yet, on the flip side, my Mavic Pro Plat flies perfect and has since before I even bought a MA, I don't have any issues with my MPP, so I'm not sure a non-downgradable FW update would be for that type of reason/logic........So, I'm confused as to why then non-downgradables are now what appears a current type FW update being releast for our quads....Seems a bit odd somehow don't you think concidering how the MA's FW is being played out these days.
2018-7-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

North Idaho Guy Posted at 2018-7-6 12:57
And meanwhile back at the Batcave, DJI is offering another "No reversies"  on downgrades rev's on their latest FW update for Mavic Pro.........

I love this from DJI:

• Increased the aircraft data’s security.
  • Optimized the propulsion system performance.

This is the EXACT BS they pulled on MA owners with our 0400 firmware... Likely they've encrypted the drones' local data store, and added the same "optimization" that has now been generating Motor errors on the MA!

MP/MPP pilots, word of advice, DO NOT UPDATE to this!
2018-7-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

North Idaho Guy Posted at 2018-7-6 12:57

It doesn't sit well because it's not true. You can roll back from V01.04.0400 to V01.04.0300, V01.04.0200 or V01.04.0100 if you wish. The no roll back note was added to release notes in V01.04.0100 meaning that there was no access to the previous V01.04.0000 version.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 2693&fromuid=154551
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 2752&fromuid=154551
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 3157&fromuid=154551
2018-7-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

"MP/MPP pilots, word of advice, DO NOT UPDATE to this!"

And why not, many will testify that it works well ?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D383%26typeid%3D383
2018-7-6
Use props
North Idaho Guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2310082 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-6 16:29
It doesn't sit well because it's not true. You can roll back from V01.04.0400 to V01.04.0300, V01.04.0200 or V01.04.0100 if you wish. The no roll back note was added to release notes in V01.04.0100 meaning that there was no access to the previous V01.04.0000 version.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 2693&fromuid=154551

My mistake, appologies to all.  Just a left over then eh? Bit odd to leave something like that laying around that doesn't apply any longer with their current rev/s.....Hmmm, little house keeping is in order perhaps
2018-7-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-6 16:32
"MP/MPP pilots, word of advice, DO NOT UPDATE to this!"

And why not, many will testify that it works well ?

My apologies, the statement was made because once again DJI was seemingly going to block rollback to older FW in the event of issues, but at least it seems this version can be rolled back.

Having looked at the reports of pilots on that version, seems to be working well.

What worries me, is whether that line in the release notes will be implemented later, or they just forgot to lock down the servers holding the FW...
2018-7-6
Use props
KebHund
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22894 ft
Czechia

Great list
2018-7-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jose Ramos Posted at 2018-7-6 11:51
I would just like to say that it´s good to see such a large number of people complaining about the attitude of some frequent users of this forum, who are suspiciously inclined to always find user error faults when drones are clearly misbehaving due to software or hardware problems. I was one of the victims of that attitude, when I had problems with my Spark and, guess what, DJI acknowledged it was a warranty covered incident and not user error...

Make the real users be heard! Go!

It is important that people know their place and rights on here and what is and is NOT acceptable communication. I have no time for arrogance.
2018-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

North Idaho Guy Posted at 2018-7-6 20:42
My mistake, appologies to all.  Just a left over then eh? Bit odd to leave something like that laying around that doesn't apply any longer with their current rev/s.....Hmmm, little house keeping is in order perhaps

The release notes leave a bit to be desired sometimes, perhaps they made a decision to leave the 'no roll back' bit in to discourage customers from trying it randomly. Perhaps reducing their fault reports over time.

More likely they just missed it :-)
2018-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-6 22:33
My apologies, the statement was made because once again DJI was seemingly going to block rollback to older FW in the event of issues, but at least it seems this version can be rolled back.

Having looked at the reports of pilots on that version, seems to be working well.

I imagine at some point they might remove the older versions from the servers, and it wouldn't be a problem at all if their most recent versions work flawlessly. Technology marches on like time and tide :-)
2018-7-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-7 02:56
I imagine at some point they might remove the older versions from the servers, and it wouldn't be a problem at all if their most recent versions work flawlessly. Technology marches on like time and tide :-)

Very true.       
2018-7-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-7 02:52
The release notes leave a bit to be desired sometimes, perhaps they made a decision to leave the 'no roll back' bit in to discourage customers from trying it randomly. Perhaps reducing their fault reports over time.

More likely they just missed it :-)

I’m hoping they just missed it too, but doesn’t make me feel any better, as it shows a bit of sloppiness in their change log reporting, which also has been very skimpy and bereft of any real details lately, especially with updates to the GO 4 app.

In any case, if the MP 0400 firmware is as solid as pilots are reporting, there should be no need to rollback, just hope it stays that way!

Now, if only they could release a rock-solid FW for the MA next and quickly, I’m sure MANY disgruntled MA owners would feel much better, followed by a massively fixed GO 4 app, especially on the Android side of the pond!
2018-7-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-7 10:49
I’m hoping they just missed it too, but doesn’t make me feel any better, as it shows a bit of sloppiness in their change log reporting, which also has been very skimpy and bereft of any real details lately, especially with updates to the GO 4 app.

In any case, if the MP 0400 firmware is as solid as pilots are reporting, there should be no need to rollback, just hope it stays that way!

A more comprehensive description of what errors have been fixed in the release notes moving forward will be very welcome.
2018-7-8
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK! I am back!

My, have the politics in this thread been going nuts since I was last here. Either way, thats none of my concern, and personally, I will be using this thread to help others.

So, the RC calibration/IMU/Compass seems to have reduced the yaw issue, though its very slight at this point. I think its just based on wind and aircraft position more than anything, like how hovering is a realitivly inefficent operation for the aircraft as the airflow creates interesting vortices that reduces things like flight time and stability over long periods of time. This is all hypothetical because unfortunatly I have little aerodynamic experience, nor do I have the knowledge about every physical aspect of this drone. If it becomes an issue again I will notify the thread and we can go from there.

Also also, I had a weird glitch caused my gimbal to stutter and then locked my gimbal 20 or so degrees above horizon, causing a temporary gimbal overload malfunction. The aircraft was operating in GPS at 80-90 degrees F with 7-15 mph winds. (Evenings are such great times to fly   ) Either way, the solution was simply turnoff the aircraft before it kills itself, and I was able to takeoff with a steady gimbal and had no issues since then. While I cant claim it was .400 since this has happened ONCE, It might be due to environmental factors or pilot error, tbh IDK. What I do know is that this thread is supposed to be civil, and so far it is about as civil as a congress of chimpanzees! If anyone has any advice for my possible issue, please let me know without having to jab at anyone. If this helped anyone, let me know as well as I think its awesome when my personal issues help others with theirs.

Auf wiedersehen

Alpha
2018-7-8
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

Remove the spaces in and the tool names above.  The site would not let me post them as their real names.
2018-7-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-7 10:49

Any update on .500 mate?
2018-7-8
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

Brantel Posted at 2018-7-8 08:53
Been made aware that there are some hacker tools out there to allow you to install almost any firmware in almost any DJI drone:  check out “Dum ldore” and “Dank downloader” tools.... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This tool only downgrades in Mavic Pro
2018-7-8
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

TZero Posted at 2018-7-8 14:10
This tool only downgrades in Mavic Pro

Seems there are some limits at this time after I had a chance to dig into the release notes.  Looks like the tools are constantly being developed by some smart people so I doubt it will  be long before the MA can be cracked open.
2018-7-8
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-7-8 14:04
Any update on .500 mate?

So far nothing on 0500, but read in another thread 1000 for the Spark is being beta tested now, so it seems they're releasing firmware based on release cycle of the drones.

My guess is we'll see a Spark FW update before the MA, which I'm upset about yet again, as I haven't heard of any serious issues with the Spark, unlike the MA.

Guess we'll see, one day...
2018-7-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-8 17:42
So far nothing on 0500, but read in another thread 1000 for the Spark is being beta tested now, so it seems they're releasing firmware based on release cycle of the drones.

My guess is we'll see a Spark FW update before the MA, which I'm upset about yet again, as I haven't heard of any serious issues with the Spark, unlike the MA.

I would have thought DJI would have released .0500 FW for Mavic Air; prior to releasing .0400 FW for Mavic Pro.  The diverse problems reported for .0400 FW and inability to rollback made MA's problems definitively more serious than few problems reported with Mavic Pro .0300 FW, upgrade - which could be rolled back to .0200 or .0100.

For those with Mavic Air's having problems running on .0400 FW, no gloating from me.  I sincerely, hope .0500 FW is coming out very soon, and will resolve all reported problems.

2018-7-8
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-8 19:33
I would have thought DJI would have released .0500 FW for Mavic Air; prior to releasing .0400 FW for Mavic Pro.  The diverse problems reported for .0400 FW and inability to rollback made MA's problems definitively more serious than few problems reported with Mavic Pro .0300 FW, upgrade - which could be rolled back to .0200 or .0100.

At this point I'm at a loss to explain the logic in DJI's decision to release an MP update before the MA.

I would think they'd prioritize the MA, and also fixing the DJI GO 4 app, before the MP!
2018-7-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-8 19:36
At this point I'm at a loss to explain the logic in DJI's decision to release an MP update before the MA.

I would think they'd prioritize the MA, and also fixing the DJI GO 4 app, before the MP!

To me, there are three possible explanations...
1) DJI's programmers rotate through Firmware for drones: Mavic Pro, Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Spark, Mavic Air, ...
2) DJI put priority on Mavic Pro; because it is supposed to be more professional of drones: Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro.
3) DJI was worried about Mavic Pro's problems reflecting badly on possible announcement of Mavic II (or Mavic Pro 2).  Maybe even Mavic II FW being tied very closely to Mavic Pro FW.
2018-7-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-8 17:42
So far nothing on 0500, but read in another thread 1000 for the Spark is being beta tested now, so it seems they're releasing firmware based on release cycle of the drones.

Well they have until the end of July or I'm selling my Mavic Air and it will be my last DJI drone if I am put in that position...
2018-7-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-8 19:43
To me, there are three possible explanations...
1) DJI's programmers rotate through Firmware for drones: Mavic Pro, Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Spark, Mavic Air, ...
2) DJI put priority on Mavic Pro; because it is supposed to be more professional of drones: Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro.

That is all very logical reasons mate. But why would they allow a FW release with so many flaws in the first place?
2018-7-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-8 22:37
That is all very logical reasons mate. But why would they allow a FW release with so many flaws in the first place?

3) They tried to hand FW coding for Mavic Air, Spark, and Mavic Pro off to J.V. team which was not up to speed?
2) Rush to get MA FW code out the door, to get back to work on MP-2 FW?
1) Fall out of folding in new MP-2 FW code to existing MA, Spark, and MP FW code; along with GO-4 App?

Good question, one I doubt we will ever know answer too.
2018-7-9
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-9 04:48
3) They tried to hand FW coding for Mavic Air, Spark, and Mavic Pro off to J.V. team which was not up to speed?
2) Rush to get MA FW code out the door, to get back to work on MP-2 FW?
1) Fall out of folding in new MP-2 FW code to existing MA, Spark, and MP FW code; along with GO-4 App?

Think you nailed it.   
2018-7-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-9 04:48
2) Rush to get MA FW code out the door, to get back to work on MP-2 FW?

That sums up what I suspected too. I think number 2 there hits the mark.
2018-7-9
Use props
Jim_Ball
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49754 ft
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-28 15:12
If you are referring to my little test video with the latest firmware and DJI GO 4 version I can say the following as before. It proved that there is no fundamental systemic problem affecting all Mavic Airs which would be the case if the firmware itself was seriously buggy. The fact that many of the rather few who were experiencing problems were able to fix them quite easily by just refreshing their firmware and/or doing calibrations that can have been necessary anyway and not necessarily linked to the new firmware confirms this.
Since I am not affiliated to DJI in any way, I have no information how many Mavic Airs have been sold since it's launch a few months ago, but I have the impression that the number is pretty high. Tens of thousand or rather more globally would be my assumption. And if you put that number in relation to the number of users in this forum (many of them first time drone owners where other factors might play a role as well) who still experience serious problems after many other cases have been successfully solved, the number gets very low. This is the truth. I have never denied that there are true problems for some that need to be carefully analysed on a case by case basis, but pretending that there are fundamental problems is simply not true, period.

" I am not affiliated to DJI in any way"

If you were a DJI customer like us, you would be very concerned with the firmware problem like every of us. I cannot understand why you seem to be more interested in defending DJI and denying any problems in the firmware.
2018-7-9
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-8 19:36

The MP update was to bring MP fw up-to-date with MA security (anti tampering / anti jailbreak) changes.
It only contained updates to the OS image and the ESC fw.

So i sincerely doubt it blocked anyone from working on the MA firmware.
2018-7-9
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-9 08:28
The MP update was to bring MP fw up-to-date with MA security (anti tampering / anti jailbreak) changes.
It only contained updates to the OS image and the ESC fw.

Unfortunately this is idle speculation right now, cause given DJI's penchant for complete silence, we will never know.

But what is clear, they prioritized encrypting the MP over fixing issues with the MA
2018-7-9
Use props
The Otter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1031240 ft
France

If anyone is having the video feed becoming very bad, with a few seconds lag, I reinstalled the firmware (the only available option) using DJI Assistant and it seems to have fixed the issue.
2018-7-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-9 08:38
Unfortunately this is idle speculation right now, cause given DJI's penchant for complete silence, we will never know.

But what is clear, they prioritized encrypting the MP over fixing issues with the MA

At this point it is speculation - unless someone can post evidence to demonstrate what was and was not changed between both versions of MA vs. MP.

Other than a DJI insider coming forward...
Such evidence would require running MA .0300 & .0400 and MP .0300 & .0400 through De-compiler; then isolating changes between MA .0300 & .0400 and MP 0.300 & .0400; followed by comparing isolated changes between MA and MP FW.

To many similarities in changes would indicate MP FW being synced with MA FW.   Expert in code could then identify what was being Synced.
2018-7-10
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-10 13:54
At this point it is speculation - unless someone can post evidence to demonstrate what was and was not changed between both versions of MA vs. MP.

Other than a DJI insider coming forward...

No need for third party evidence, you can check for yourself. No need to decompile anything either.

Unpack the updates and compare the module versions.
You can find the list of modules and their corresponding numeric codes online. What you'll find is that MP firmware only contains updates to ESC fw and the OS recovery partition.

No changes to flight controller, gimbal, camera, or any of the other modules.

I don't want to post any links because they cut a bit too close to things DJI bans people for.

2018-7-10
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-10 15:02
No need for third party evidence, you can check for yourself. No need to decompile anything either.

Thank you for an informative post!

It's curious that the only modules changed in the MP FW are the ESC and Recovery partitions, as pilots who were having issues with the C1/C2 buttons after POI, video stutter / breakup issues, and also sporadic yaw / roll issues, seem to have been fixed by the 0400 MP release.

In any event, all I want for now is the MA FW to finally come and get our birds back to tip-top shape, and for the trolls to get banned from this forum!
2018-7-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-10 15:02

I was not aware you could un-pack the updates down to modules to such detail.    I should have taken a look first.   Thanks for enlightenment.  
That info is going to help me (and likely others) make decisions about Firmware upgrades or what would be lost on Rollback.  

Point on this subject is - We should not have too!   

DJI needs detailed Release Notes.  Along with over a month of go providing a method to Rollback from .0400 -or- providing .0410 FW that is essentially .0300.

2018-7-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-10 21:04
I was not aware you could un-pack the updates down to modules to such detail.    I should have taken a look first.   Thanks for enlightenment.  
That info is going to help me (and likely others) make decisions about Firmware upgrades or what would be lost on Rollback.  

Agreed Hedge - more detail in the release notes would be very welcome indeed. Good point mate.
2018-7-11
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Agreed. It's almost as bad as the change logs Facebook used to put out with FB and Messenger app updates on iOS/Android.
Where it'd just say "We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. This version contains: - various fixes."

When people started ridiculing them and making fun of it, someone high up from FB responded (i sh*t you not) "our engineers haven't got the time to write release notes, they have better things to do with their time at Facebook". Prompting more ridicule.

They've eventually relented and started publishing at least the top few fixes/changes in the release notes.
2018-7-11
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-11 16:53
Agreed. It's almost as bad as the change logs Facebook used to put out with FB and Messenger app updates on iOS/Android.
Where it'd just say "We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. This version contains: - various fixes."

I think actually Facebook started this whole "lazy change log" behaviour, at least on the iOS App Store, because MANY of the apps I have on my iOS devices now, when they get updated, only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Apps like Slack and Transit, they have not only DETAILED change logs, but actually throw some humour into the mix too, making it a fun read!

Lazy developers, INCLUDING DJI, take note: These are two app developers you should aspire to match in terms of transparency and information provided to your customers!!
2018-7-11
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 18:44
I think actually Facebook started this whole "lazy change log" behaviour, at least on the iOS App Store, because MANY of the apps I have on my iOS devices now, when they get updated, only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Apps like Slack and Transit, they have not only DETAILED change logs, but actually throw some humour into the mix too, making it a fun read!

only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Or the YT app always says repairs to time-space continuum, etc, etc.  I laugh but at the same time am annoyed.  
2018-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules