Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Threads detailing SERIOUS issue with Mavic Air FW v01.00.0400
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
0rcinus
lvl.4
  • >>>
Croatia

Agreed. It's almost as bad as the change logs Facebook used to put out with FB and Messenger app updates on iOS/Android.
Where it'd just say "We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. This version contains: - various fixes."

When people started ridiculing them and making fun of it, someone high up from FB responded (i sh*t you not) "our engineers haven't got the time to write release notes, they have better things to do with their time at Facebook". Prompting more ridicule.

They've eventually relented and started publishing at least the top few fixes/changes in the release notes.
2018-7-11
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-11 16:53
Agreed. It's almost as bad as the change logs Facebook used to put out with FB and Messenger app updates on iOS/Android.
Where it'd just say "We update the app regularly so we can make it better for you. This version contains: - various fixes."

I think actually Facebook started this whole "lazy change log" behaviour, at least on the iOS App Store, because MANY of the apps I have on my iOS devices now, when they get updated, only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Apps like Slack and Transit, they have not only DETAILED change logs, but actually throw some humour into the mix too, making it a fun read!

Lazy developers, INCLUDING DJI, take note: These are two app developers you should aspire to match in terms of transparency and information provided to your customers!!
2018-7-11
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 18:44
I think actually Facebook started this whole "lazy change log" behaviour, at least on the iOS App Store, because MANY of the apps I have on my iOS devices now, when they get updated, only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Apps like Slack and Transit, they have not only DETAILED change logs, but actually throw some humour into the mix too, making it a fun read!

only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Or the YT app always says repairs to time-space continuum, etc, etc.  I laugh but at the same time am annoyed.  
2018-7-11
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Canada

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-11 19:05
only include the tag line "General Performance Improvements and Fixes", which makes me cringe!

Or the YT app always says repairs to time-space continuum, etc, etc.  I laugh but at the same time am annoyed.

That's one app I have even more gripes about, especially the tvOS build, but that's going pretty off-topic

Yes, the mixed in humour to a still empty change log is annoying too, and a bit insulting, at least personally.

Normally when I work on projects, I setup even something as simple as a Word document or Excel spreadsheet, and as I fix glitches, I just make quick notes (takes like 30-60 seconds), so when it's time to provide a report, I know what needs to be put in. With the notes, I will spend maybe 30 minutes on an average update report?

When people say they can't do it, then I know they just don't know how to organize themselves, their time, or how to just take quick notes as they go along.

Oh well
2018-7-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 18:44

I've noticed that on Apple apps.
2018-7-12
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-7 00:46
It is important that people know their place and rights on here and what is and is NOT acceptable communication. I have no time for arrogance.

"I have no time for arrogance."
Or ignorance.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-7-12 04:08
"I have no time for arrogance."
Or ignorance.

Indeed both
2018-7-12
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-11 19:05

Yeah, the lack of detail as to what has changed is disconcerting to me.  I don't just willy nilly run updates.  I read what is changed, and prioritize whether that update is a necessity for me or not.  This 'lazy change log' thing is completely unacceptable.

DJI needs to pay attention.  The goal is to put as many of these things out as they can.  But if they keep cutting corners and rushing bad code out, it is not going to suit them in the long run!
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-7-12 04:21
Yeah, the lack of detail as to what has changed is disconcerting to me.  I don't just willy nilly run updates.  I read what is changed, and prioritize whether that update is a necessity for me or not.  This 'lazy change log' thing is completely unacceptable.

DJI needs to pay attention.  The goal is to put as many of these things out as they can.  But if they keep cutting corners and rushing bad code out, it is not going to suit them in the long run!

Yes, we've had enough corner cutting - fingers crossed on .500 coming soon.
2018-7-12
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.4
  • >>>
Croatia

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 19:31
That's one app I have even more gripes about, especially the tvOS build, but that's going pretty off-topic

Yes, the mixed in humour to a still empty change log is annoying too, and a bit insulting, at least personally.

I work for a dozen-people company, and there's only 4 of us devs/engineers. We provide a 24/7 service to our clients, many of them on very tight schedules, and we work overtime a lot. We've also got months, even years of future projects already cut out for us.

Yet we find the time to document changes and draft release notes for each release, weekly.

How multi-billion companies get away with "we don't have time for release notes" is beyond me.
2018-7-12
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.4
  • >>>
Croatia

A CW Posted at 2018-7-12 13:09
Yes, we've had enough corner cutting - fingers crossed on .500 coming soon.

It's funny how much crap DJI users are willing to take... You kinda lose perspective until you talk to someone "out of the game", so to speak. I've been chatting with a friend today, and described what's been happening with Air firmware lately (he's interested in drones, follows the industry developments, as he's a gadget junky, but doesn't buy or fly them). Went something like this:

- "... so yeah, i stupidly updated immediately after buying the Air, and now i don't quite feel comfortable flying it."
- "Why don't you just update to a fixed version?"
- "There isn't one yet."
- "Wait. How long did you say it was? Two months? There's still no new release?!"
- "Nope."
- "Why don't you downgrade?"
- "I can't. They've disabled it."
- "They... WHAT?!"

It's an eye opener. Every DJI-apologist should try it some time.
Which kinda brings me to another segue - versioning.

I find it hilarious DJI still doesn't grasp semantic versioning (https://semver.org/). How can a minor update (1.00.300->1.00.400) be breaking and non-backwards compatible and non downgradable?
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-12 16:06
It's funny how much crap DJI users are willing to take... You kinda lose perspective until you talk to someone "out of the game", so to speak. I've been chatting with a friend today, and described what's been happening with Air firmware lately (he's interested in drones, follows the industry developments, as he's a gadget junky, but doesn't buy or fly them). Went something like this:

- "... so yeah, i stupidly updated immediately after buying the Air, and now i don't quite feel comfortable flying it."

Indeed - no patch either. It is amazing how FW can be released without semantic versioning - just the option to upgrade and it becoming a case of 'fingers crossed' that your drone takes the FW without issues. Sadly, many have issues and without semantic versioning they can not downgrade the FW at all leaving them to refresh and refresh and ultimately to either return the drone or wait for the next FW upgrade - which is taking months... Then we have the GO4 app which has presented many bugs with the MA and is being patched on an almost weekly basis. It's not a good experience from a customer and users perspective.
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Edison, thanks for bringing this to attention. Firstly, we sincerely apologize for the late response. I have a quick look at all posts you mentioned and understand your concerns about the current firmware, but there are some points need to be clarified and confirmed:
1. Motor Current Error: This is a known error and the misinformation will not affect the normal flight, our engineers will fix it in the next update.
2. Transmission issue: The transmission issue might appear in various conditions. Not sure it is the firmware issue, so we suggest doing troubleshooting to narrow down the scope and see whether it can be fixed remotely. We appreciate your cooperation on this.
3. For the raw and drift issue, we're collecting the samples videos and corresponding flight logs for further analysis.
Also, some issues you mentioned appeared before this firmware, I'm afraid that it is a little misguided for collecting here for attention.

For those who have had a bad experience in the current firmware, we would like to have more details of the issues you mentioned. With details and data, our engineers can locate the exact reason and see whether it can be fixed by the firmware update or similar. Hope for your understanding. Please kindly refer below for further assistance:
1. The main issue you experienced:
2. How often does the issue appear:
3. What troubleshooting you have tried:
4. Issue pictures or video:
5. Corresponding flight logs(if any): tick Flight Record&Sensing, Navigation, Gimbal, Camera and System
I'll collect regularly and forward to our engineers for review. Appreciate your feedback.
PS: If you need one's attention, please kindly click the reply button under one's message, so that he/she can get the reminder and handle it timely.

2018-7-13
Use props
SBasso
lvl.4

Malta

Hello!

I've checked many comments here and also the ones organized by the very first post.
However, I could not find anything similar to this problem that I faced yesterday.

Before starting, I do have the version 0.400 & I got affected by instability and yaw movements.

Having that said, yesterday, I switched from GPS mode to Sport Mode, I had full control of the quad, however, the camera kept on dropping down.
It had something to do with the Mode i was in, as on GPS mode nothing similar happened.

I shared the short clip here
Video Mavic Air - SP Mode

Any hint or guidance?
Thanks a lot,
Sandro

2018-7-13
Use props
TZero
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

I get tired of reading some CAPTAINS here saying that WE HAVE PROBLEMS AFTER 0400 are a minority in the universe of MA owners.
Even though I live outside the US, I would love to see how many people would sue DJI in a public action for breach of reliability of their products.

2018-7-13
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-13 01:40
Hi Edison, thanks for bringing this to attention. Firstly, we sincerely apologize for the late response. I have a quick look at all posts you mentioned and understand your concerns about the current firmware, but there are some points need to be clarified and confirmed:
1. Motor Current Error: This is a known error and the misinformation will not affect the normal flight, our engineers will fix it in the next update.
2. Transmission issue: The transmission issue might appear in various conditions. Not sure it is the firmware issue, so we suggest doing troubleshooting to narrow down the scope and see whether it can be fixed remotely. We appreciate your cooperation on this.

Hello Susan,

I'm glad that someone from DJI has FINALLY acknowledged this thread after all the weeks it has been up. However I would like some further clarifications on your posting:

• "Motor Current Error: This is a known error and the misinformation will not affect the normal flight, our engineers will fix it in the next update" <- This is not the case, as some MA pilots have reported loss of control, or drone instability (the issue I experienced) when this message appears during certain flight scenarios, and DJI has been told this repeatedly, but just puts out this canned response to concerns. When GO 4 was at 4.2.16 on iOS, DJI stated this was an issue with the app and that they're working on a fix; we're now at 4.2.22 on iOS, and I just got this error AGAIN the other day, so this REMAINS an issue!
  • "Transmission issue: The transmission issue might appear in various conditions. Not sure it is the firmware issue, so we suggest doing troubleshooting to narrow down the scope and see whether it can be fixed remotely. We appreciate your cooperation on this." <- Again, another DJI admin here as put out a VERY different response, stating this issue was identified by DJI engineers as a known bug, and it was supposed to be fixed by 4.2.20, and then later acknowledged publicly that it was still not fixed by 4.2.22. If this is true, why are you putting out a statement which will cause pilots just to waste more of their time doing pointless troubleshooting when DJI already knows this is a GO 4 app issue?
  • "For the raw and drift issue, we're collecting the samples videos and corresponding flight logs for further analysis. Also, some issues you mentioned appeared before this firmware, I'm afraid that it is a little misguided for collecting here for attention." <- I personally find this statement an attempt to quell public outcry about the yaw and drift issue, as they are VERY much a concern to those pilots here who are affected by it, and making a statement such as this infers DJI doesn't want negative publicity on a bug, which you just admitted, goes beyond 0400 firmware, which if true, is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! It has been 2 months since 0400's release, and yet you've just admitted a potentially serious flaw has gone un-fixed for even more time than that???

And what about the statements put out by DJI employee Ken Booth, referenced by forum user Brantel on the linked thread below in posts #205 and #239:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=147912&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D534&page=6

Are the DJI admins serving this forum not made aware of these official statements by representatives / engineers of DJI, or are trying to deny those statements were in fact official?

I think after so many months of pilots having to deal with NO action or any real fixes from DJI on this matter, and only receiving scripted responses from DJI staff, we deserve a DETAILED explanation of what is going on, what DJI is doing to fix it, and when we can expect the much needed firmware update!

I await your detailed response.
2018-7-13
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Canada

TZero Posted at 2018-7-13 03:35
I get tired of reading some CAPTAINS here saying that WE HAVE PROBLEMS AFTER 0400 are a minority in the universe of MA owners.
Even though I live outside the US, I would love to see how many people would sue DJI in a public action for breach of reliability of their products.

I hear you TZero!

I for one would be one of those affected pilots who would consider joining a suit against DJI, but not to obtain a financial reward as is often the result of class-actions, but rather just to force DJI into acknowledging publicly their lack of action on serious issues and customer complaints for extended periods of time, in order to force them into finally getting their situation in order and fixing these issues.
2018-7-13
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Canada

SBasso Posted at 2018-7-13 02:20
Hello!

I've checked many comments here and also the ones organized by the very first post.

HI SBasso,

I've had this issue with my MA in Sport mode since day 1 on 0300 FW, and on two MA units, so you're not alone with this one!

I've tried gimbal calibrations, and had also performed multiple full re-calibrations of all other MA sensors due to the issues reported in this and multiple linked threads, and so far have never been able to keep the gimbal pointing straight if I pitch forward at full power.

Hoping this is something that will be addressed one day in a FW update as well, but given the other issues pilots are having, I wouldn't be upset of those were prioritized first!
2018-7-13
Use props
WayneMHK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-13 08:24
Hello Susan,

I'm glad that someone from DJI has FINALLY acknowledged this thread after all the weeks it has been up. However I would like some further clarifications on your posting:

"I await your detailed response." - yeah, good luck with that.  It's all crap, but at least someone associated with DJI decided to respond finally.
2018-7-13
Use props
TZero
Second Officer
Brazil

I Agree

2018-7-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-13 08:24
Hello Susan,

I'm glad that someone from DJI has FINALLY acknowledged this thread after all the weeks it has been up. However I would like some further clarifications on your posting:

Great info - does look like the ball is rolling to get the next update out soon.
2018-7-13
Use props
SBasso
lvl.4

Malta

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-13 08:36
HI SBasso,

I've had this issue with my MA in Sport mode since day 1 on 0300 FW, and on two MA units, so you're not alone with this one!

Thanks for sharing that with me!

Being very honest, I just got confident enough now, and finally I used the Sport Mode.
I have to confess it was a bit upsetting, however, I didn't panic and managed to try few tests while it was up in the air.

Well...
Not much to do from our side!
Let's hope at one day, these smallish issues get all fixed up!

2018-7-14
Use props
gekyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 549180 ft
United Kingdom

Which firmware version are most issues introduced in?

I bought a new Mavic Air which came with very old firmware and wondering which firmware version is advisable to get it up to? I have choice of  .0200 or .0300 (or .0400 which I understand I should not).

Thanks.
2018-7-15
Use props
jerrytko1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280722 ft
United Kingdom

gekyr Posted at 2018-7-15 03:09

I bought a new Mavic Air which came with very old firmware and wondering which firmware version is advisable to get it up to? I have choice of  .0200 or .0300 (or .0400 which I understand I should not).

.0300 was best frimware so far. My air was  flying pefect with no errors or drifting. Dont make same mistake as many of us. Do not update to .0400. Until is fixed.
2018-7-15
Use props
The Otter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1031240 ft
France

.0300 was without a doubt the best firmware so far. My MA is on it's way to the support team, been too messy with the .0400 update.
2018-7-15
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.4
  • >>>
Croatia

SBasso Posted at 2018-7-13 02:20
Hello!

I've checked many comments here and also the ones organized by the very first post.

Don’t think that’s a bug. In sport mode, the maximum tilt of the drone is much higher. As you tilt it forward, it inevitably reaches the point where the gimbal, which has a very limited range of motion upwards, cannot compensate for the tilt anymore, and your recorded image has to tilt with the drone.

Try it with your drone in your hand - tilt it forward sharply and look at the video feed.
2018-7-15
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.4
  • >>>
Croatia

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-13 08:36
HI SBasso,

I've had this issue with my MA in Sport mode since day 1 on 0300 FW, and on two MA units, so you're not alone with this one!

That one’s not a bug, but due to simple mechanics of the flight and the limitations of the gimbal movement range. Firmware has nothing to do with it, so it’s unlikely to be fixed either.
2018-7-15
Use props
jerrytko1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280722 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

I am going to share my experience with .0400 update.

I have personally went through Motor current messages in sport mode and Drifting after take off. It is not pleasant feeling especially drifting.

I was waiting for fix from DJI but nothing came so I did only think i could do.

Did the firmware refresh through DJI Assistant after refresh i did Factory reset and then Refreshed .0400 again. Hoping this will fix the problem.

Well it did i have done all calibrations needed and then went for a flight.

All good no drifting at all. But it was just one flight. Then there was no time for flying until now (two weeks after reset and first flight).

Did three flights in 10mph wind and again even in this wind no drifting at all just little bit of movement which ypu can expect in windy conditions.

So maybe the whole problem was that this firmware which can’t be rolled back must be flashed after factory reset.

Maybe i am just lucky one or have found a fix for this problems.

Reset and refresh don’t take long so if you guys want you can give it a go. It might help you like it helped me.

2018-7-15
Use props
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

0.300 and my Mavic Air was a little beast, performed excellently, after 0.400, grounded with a million little problems, disconnecting, video lag, video freeze, drifting from side to side etc, etc. DO NOT UPDATE TO 0.400. I would not take that chance if i were to decide about it now. It might work, but then again, is it worth the hassle if it don,t. Drone now at local repair center, to go to DJI China tomorrow.
I have done the refresh, factory reset etc route, but unfortunately, did not work for me...........
2018-7-15
Use props
dewr83
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73661 ft
Turkey

3 months pasted but there is no any new firmware..vdid the dji sell us old tech ?
2018-7-15
Use props
WayneMHK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I bought a new Mavic Air which came with very old firmware..."

As far as I know, they're not putting .0400 on any MAs from the factory.  Haven't heard of one yet, and the 3 that I've had ALL came with .0300.  Pretty sure there's a reason for that.
2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2018-7-15 10:06
0.300 and my Mavic Air was a little beast, performed excellently, after 0.400, grounded with a million little problems, disconnecting, video lag, video freeze, drifting from side to side etc, etc. DO NOT UPDATE TO 0.400. I would not take that chance if i were to decide about it now. It might work, but then again, is it worth the hassle if it don,t. Drone now at local repair center, to go to DJI China tomorrow.
I have done the refresh, factory reset etc route, but unfortunately, did not work for me...........

At least having the ability to roll back to .0300 would be good too. Mandatory FW updates with no roll back post update always make me a little nervous. I wonder if .0500 will not permit roll backs either...
2018-7-16
Use props
Cineasta83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55738 ft
Argentina

A CW Posted at 2018-7-16 07:56
At least having the ability to roll back to .0300 would be good too. Mandatory FW updates with no roll back post update always make me a little nervous. I wonder if .0500 will not permit roll backs either...

I think no one want to roll back to .0400 if it were possible
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2018-7-16 04:39
"I bought a new Mavic Air which came with very old firmware..."

As far as I know, they're not putting .0400 on any MAs from the factory.  Haven't heard of one yet, and the 3 that I've had ALL came with .0300.  Pretty sure there's a reason for that.

It's so you upgrade Firmware and mess up drone; and not them.     

2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cineasta83 Posted at 2018-7-16 09:19
I think no one want to roll back to .0400 if it were possible

Hahahaha - .0300 would be nice though
2018-7-16
Use props
Nikolay S Donev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1290892 ft
Bulgaria

2. Transmission issue: The transmission issue might appear in various conditions. Not sure it is the firmware issue, so we suggest doing troubleshooting to narrow down the scope and see whether it can be fixed remotely. We appreciate your cooperation on this.

You gotta be freakin KIDDING ! Thats hilarious. You and your support team got like thousands of data collected from the users and all you do is nothing with it because you are trying to bring the next drone out. How can you collect data for almost 3 months and still trying to lie in this forum about what is happening ....  I hope every potential client reads this forum and see how you treat your clients. I even screenshot every post to make sure nothing gets deleted whenever you guys feel comfortable to hide the truth that this firmware is one stupid mistake from the very beginning. So many people asked you politely to just allow rollback AND NO ONE CARED. WHAT THE HECK !?  Apologise 3 months later with no different status than the first day of reporting. SHAME ON YOU DJI!
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Here is simplest way to find out if it is .0400 Firmware.  

Release .0450 Firmware as optional for those having problems after upgrading to .0400 Firmware.  With .0450 Firmware undoing and removing every modification done .0400 Firmware.  

Essentially re-issue .0300 as .0450 so DJI's anti rollback blocking software is fooled into thinking it is an upgrade.
2018-7-16
Use props
TZero
Second Officer
Brazil

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-16 14:25
Here is simplest way to find out if it is .0400 Firmware.  

Amazing idea.
Thus, you will take the job of many DJI engineers.

But...
There is only one problem.
DJI certainly included "something" in the 0400 that he can not withdraw (or do not want) and that just impacts his normal running in the various MA series.
2018-7-16
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.4
  • >>>
Croatia

TZero Posted at 2018-7-16 15:33
Amazing idea.
Thus, you will take the job of many DJI engineers.

If i were a ”gut instinct” kinda guy, i’d tell you my gut instinct tells me the new encryption they’ve bolted on increases the CPU load way past the safety margin required for safe flight, causing various timing issues with sensor fusion, video feed encoding dropouts and occasional freezes of the autonomous flight control, not to mention thermal runaway of the CPU in some cases (CPU overheat messages).

And they can’t/won’t remove the encryption as that would be a defeat.

But i’m not a gut instinct kinda guy.
2018-7-16
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Canada

0rcinus Posted at 2018-7-16 19:24
If i were a ”gut instinct” kinda guy, i’d tell you my gut instinct tells me the new encryption they’ve bolted on increases the CPU load way past the safety margin required for safe flight, causing various timing issues with sensor fusion, video feed encoding dropouts and occasional freezes of the autonomous flight control, not to mention thermal runaway of the CPU in some cases (CPU overheat messages).

And they can’t/won’t remove the encryption as that would be a defeat.

I guess that means your instincts would be pretty good... Being in IT, I've seen various situations where hardware was released with a certain amount of processing power, but as time went on and software became more demanding due to new or enhanced features, eventually the original hardware got the point where it just chugged like an old steam locomotive.

Any time you add en encryption system to a device with a limited amount of resources, you run the risk of causing issues. I can see why DJI would want to have this feature added, but something tells me they didn't take into account the various load and thermal requirements of the 24-core SoC that powers the MA.

We can only speculate on this, but it's a good theory with a fair amount of it grounded in reality.
2018-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules