5425 16 2018-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Hi all....

After my first flight, I checked my flight record and noticed that I received a warning about being near a non-paved airstrip.  I had already checked AirMap, and even the DJI NFZ site, and from those perspectives, i am clear.  I am about 1.5 km outside of any warning zone.  So I was surprised to see this in my logs.  As this was my very first flight, I may have missed the pop-up on the phone screen when it appeared.  So I was surprised to see this warning in the log, as I am not in any warning zone.

Any comments?

2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, if it is confirmed that you were not at the warning zone but you got the prompt, please check if you have updated the app and the drone's flysafe database, try to restart the app, too.
If more doubts about the no fly zone, you can consult flysafe@dji.com. Thank you for your attention.
2018-6-6
Use props
Bassnectar
New
Canada

This also happens to me, but I'm a tad bit closer than you. I live about 6.8 KM away from the center of my local airport, and my local laws dictate that you must remain outside of a 5.5 KM radius. I've double checked my distance numerous times and consulted airmap which shows that I am indeed outside of the required radius, however every time I power on my spark in my backyard I get a warning that I'm flying within a restricted airspace and have to accept all responsibilities.
2018-6-8
Use props
fans90c13814
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>

I fly at Greenham Common, former US nuclear airbase and now just a public common.  Every time I fly I get warned that I'm flying at an unpaved airfield.  This is nonsense; it hasn't been an airfield for about 20 years, and was never unpaved - it had a 2 mile tarmac airstrip. Just about all infrastructure has been demolished, except six enormous cruise missile bunkers.   Anybody trying to land anything bigger than a quad at Greenham nowadays will have trouble finding any suitable clear strip, and will need to do battle with cows, wild horses, and ubiquitous gorse and bramble bushes!
2018-6-8
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

I found DJI GEO Zone map to be very inaccurate. I live around Ottawa, Canada and DJI shows zones where I can fly as restricted and shows some zones which are restricted as no restriction.
DJI map also is wrong about Canadian drone rules (form the look of it uses old rules which have changed last year) and shows much wider no-fly zone around airports than Canadian law really permits.

Because of this I do not use DJI maps. I use Airmap application which has correct and very detailed drone restrictions data.
It is somewhat annoying though to have to click that I accept risk of flying in restricted zone while I am far away from restricted zones.
2018-6-8
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

I get that all the time here in the country. I am within 5 miles of two helipads and a class E county airport. I have also seen it other places where I know I am 5 miles from a class E airport
2018-6-8
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>

I get those all the time when I am within 5 miles of class E airport.
Remember, you have notifications (what we received) notices (manually have to accept responsibility) warning zones, enhanced warning zones and no fly zones.

From what I read, the enhanced warning zones and NFZ should appear on the map section of the DJI GO 4 app.
Not the geo zone maps...swap views of your "location radar" while flying.
2018-6-8
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

Pmshop,

What I am saying is that the warnings I get on DJI GO app are wrong. They force me to manually accept responsibility for flying in restricted zone when I am not flying in restricted zone. This is annoying and shows that DJI maps of restricted zones are incorrect. It also started to appear fairly recently.

No restrictions show on DJI GO map.

Since I got curious, I checked DJI GEO zones maps and noticed they are very wrong (for Canada). They have 9 km restricted radius around airports while it should be 5.5 km (in Canada). They are also missing many restricted zones.

Bottom line - DJI is wrong with their warnings and their maps are unreliable. While it is not a huge deal because I can still fly after clicking that I accept responsibility, it is shoddy QA.
2018-6-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-9 20:03
Pmshop,

What I am saying is that the warnings I get on DJI GO app are wrong. They force me to manually accept responsibility for flying in restricted zone when I am not flying in restricted zone. This is annoying and shows that DJI maps of restricted zones are incorrect. It also started to appear fairly recently.

If I remember that right, you can report wrong zones/sizes.
Have you tried that?
2018-6-9
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-9 20:03
Pmshop,

What I am saying is that the warnings I get on DJI GO app are wrong. They force me to manually accept responsibility for flying in restricted zone when I am not flying in restricted zone. This is annoying and shows that DJI maps of restricted zones are incorrect. It also started to appear fairly recently.

The unpaved airstrip is not a restricted zone as you described the warning.
That is the one I get all the time.
It is for information only.
If you have to accept responsibility, then you are in military operations area.
I have seen this once.
That is not a restricted zone either.

If you were in a restricted NFZ, you would know it - the DJI craft will not take off.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand you saying the zones are inaccurate.
I have seen that in my home town.
DJI has a 1/2 mile NFZ ring around my home town regional airport and a mile ring outside of that for limited altitude.
I cannot take off in the limited altitude zone.

You might want to check a sectional map for the "accepting responsibility zones".
Look for MOA

2018-6-9
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-9 20:48
The unpaved airstrip is not a restricted zone as you described the warning.
That is the one I get all the time.
It is for information only.

I need to check it out further and report inaccuracies.

Funny thing that you mentioned restricted military zones and that it is where DJI may force you to accept responsibility. I am flying several kilometres from restricted military zone. My flights are 100% legal because they are well outside of the zone (I use official Canadian drone maps to confirm that). One of the things I noticed is that this military zone does not appear on DJI GEO maps. It should, but it does not. This is why I said - DJI maps show that I am within airport zone - while I am not, at the same time DJI maps are missing really important no fly zones. There is also another no fly zone for a small airport in my area which DJI missed.

Do you happen to know how to report such inaccuracies to DJI?
2018-6-11
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-6-9 20:46
If I remember that right, you can report wrong zones/sizes.
Have you tried that?

No, I did not.

Do you happen to know how to do that?
2018-6-11
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-11 05:19
I need to check it out further and report inaccuracies.

Funny thing that you mentioned restricted military zones and that it is where DJI may force you to accept responsibility. I am flying several kilometres from restricted military zone. My flights are 100% legal because they are well outside of the zone (I use official Canadian drone maps to confirm that). One of the things I noticed is that this military zone does not appear on DJI GEO maps. It should, but it does not. This is why I said - DJI maps show that I am within airport zone - while I am not, at the same time DJI maps are missing really important no fly zones. There is also another no fly zone for a small airport in my area which DJI missed.

Those "accept responsibility" areas are not restricted for drones.
They just want you to know there is a possibility they could fly under 500 and that you accept responsibility for flying in this area.
That's all they want

Reporting incorrect areas should be on the app.
Should be one their website too:
https://www.dji.com/flysafe

Also, here is the one that triggered my "accept responsibility"
We were 5 miles north west of San Saba
2018-6-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-11 05:21
No, I did not.

Do you happen to know how to do that?

Naa, not really.
it is 8 month aho and it was a 100% NFZ.
Not a warning, only a "you can't fly here"
With a "report wrong nfz/sizes"
Which I did, after checking with other relevant apps/websites.
And google earth, to verify the distance to the arena which was the center of the nfz

Happened one time only ;-)
2018-6-11
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

I notice this problem here where I live as well. Looking at all the guides and regulations from Portuguese Civil Aviation Authority, including their new drone laws, I do not live on a class D airspace, but looking at the flysafe map, it shows a big green zone that goes beyond the area that it is suppost to cover. The Portuguese Civil Aviation Authority even created an app that we can use to see where we can fly or not our drones, and also on their map inside the app, I can fly without a problem.
2018-7-26
Use props
FlyingUser
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Getting a warning is one thing, but what if a red zone is inaccurate and your bird is forced to land e.g. on water?? Can someone verify that at least DJI's online flysafe map covers exactly the same areas as the database in the aircraft's latest firmware?
2018-9-2
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this, I have realized that checking multiple sources makes more sense also.  I hav 44 more flights under by belt than when  I first posted this, and realize that this is a caution, not a restriction.  The airfield in question is very quiet, hardly any flights regularly.  
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules