Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro - Gimbal / IMU Issue (calibration @ 62%)
1040 6 2018-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jjcannon
lvl.1
United States

In between flights a few days ago, my Mavic Pro stopped connecting to the controller and I started to receive an issue with the gimbal.  Can't talk to master controller.  Suggested that I recalibrate the gimbal, but stops/fails at 62%.  Even when it says that it is not connected to the MP, I can see the gimbal images on the ipad app.  Calibration walks the camera through all sorts of paces, but then fails.  
Simply connecting the controller to the MP is now a crap-shoot.  Doesn't always work.  Seems to work better after removing/replacing battery.

I have also tried to recalibrate the IMU, but stops shortly after starting to attempt.  Says that it's disconnected.

Also have reloaded thet latest firmware on both the controller and MP (01.04.0300).

Any thoughts on this?  I really need to have this drone back up in the air ASAP!!  Very odd since no crashes or anything during those flights on Monday.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff  

2018-6-6
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff- Delete Go4, re-download and re-install.  IMU has no affect on the gimbal... In the meantime, turn the aircraft upside down and check to see that the two small loops that hold the gimbal in place are attached.  There are a few images on this forum (search "loose gimbal mount" that show before and after of the connections.  Sometimes the gimbal -if bumped hard enough- will dislodge from the mount.  As always, make sure you have the most recent firmware installed :-)
2018-6-6
Use props
jjcannon
lvl.1
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-6-6 09:08
Jeff- Delete Go4, re-download and re-install.  IMU has no affect on the gimbal... In the meantime, turn the aircraft upside down and check to see that the two small loops that hold the gimbal in place are attached.  There are a few images on this forum (search "loose gimbal mount" that show before and after of the connections.  Sometimes the gimbal -if bumped hard enough- will dislodge from the mount.  As always, make sure you have the most recent firmware installed :-)

I will give that a shot.  Thanks for the quick reply!
2018-6-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

I am sorry that you are having this issue on your Mavic Pro's Gimbal. Let's try to troubleshoot this issue. Check if the firmware of the Mavic Pro is updated to the latest version. Please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 application. After doing these steps please try to calibrate the IMU, the gimbal and the compass of the Mavic Pro. After these steps, please try to fly the drone and let us see if there will be a different result.
2018-6-6
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-6 09:33
I am sorry that you are having this issue on your Mavic Pro's Gimbal. Let's try to troubleshoot this issue. Check if the firmware of the Mavic Pro is updated to the latest version. Please try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 application. After doing these steps please try to calibrate the IMU, the gimbal and the compass of the Mavic Pro. After these steps, please try to fly the drone and let us see if there will be a different result.

DJI Stephen.... why... would you have him calibrate the IMU?  It has nothing to do with the gimbal calibration?
2018-6-6
Use props
jjcannon
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the follow-ups on the post.  Wanted to give an update.  I did check out the attachment loops on the gimbal, and they did appear to be OK.  As I mentioned, I had reloaded latest firmware on both controller/drone.  Also redownloaded the apps on both my devices (ipad and iphone 6).  

On a whim, I decided to stop retrying the calibrations / connections in my home office - lots of electrical equipment - and took the process outside.  To my surprise, the IMU + compass calibrations started right up and completed (the app never let me start them).  Then I tried the gimbal calibration and it hung for a while at 62%, but then kept plotting along and finished...   Then I went back to the main screen and was able to fly via GPS and all seemed good.  So, my lesson might be that these guys don't handle noisy RF / radio / electrical situations particularly well (which could be expected) - and that might have been the cause of my issues from the get-go.  

I had seen a post somewhere about gimbal calibration and to take it outside so that it's brighter and the camera can recognize images better.  Not sure how much truth there is to that (made sure the room was bright), but possibly worked for that person due to the same issues with radio interference?

Anyways, I'm back in the air, and maybe this might help someone out in the future.  Thanks again for the responses, folks.
2018-6-11
Use props
jjcannon
lvl.1
United States

As an update to this post - the intermittent nature of this problem never really went away, and now the drone does not connect to the remote pretty much 100% of the time.  I've tried all kinds of things, including reverting back to firmware .0300 (and then back to .0400), cable swapping, SD card swapping, using wifi connection - all things point to Gimbal issue.  Trying to figure out if a Gimbal connectivity issue would cause major problems with connecting remote<->drone?

Wondering if anyone has had (or fixed) similar issue.  Don't know if could be as simple as a loose cable in gimbal?  Don't want to risk voiding warranty to find out...

Thanks in advance.
2018-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules