Best mode for stills or time lapse
449 5 2018-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

YT is full of video with people saying to put the MA or MP in tripod mode for great still shots and/or time-lapse, but I always thought the purpose of tripod mode was to get slow, steady (motion).  If you are not touching the RC sticks the drone and gimbal should keep the camera steady regardless of the mode, shouldn't it?  Does anyone here have any further technical knowledge on these flying modes and if there is a "best" mode for stills / Time-lapse?
Thanks!
2018-6-6
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are right and the best mode will be to fly with minimum wind gust!
2018-6-6
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Tripod mode is only effective if going for the slow moving video not stand as still as possible.  Let's say you were doing a hyperlapse where you were moving forward ever so slowly then yes tripod mode would be best.  However if you are wanting the AC to stay as still as possible you are only going to be as still as the wind will allow and you will see some movement regardless when speeding up the video.  However I was told from a buddy that if you want it to be as still as possible then hovering in sports mode is the best and provides the stillest hovering.  I have not verified this though so am not 100% maybe worth a try.
2018-6-6
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-6 17:11
Tripod mode is only effective if going for the slow moving video not stand as still as possible.  Let's say you were doing a hyperlapse where you were moving forward ever so slowly then yes tripod mode would be best.  However if you are wanting the AC to stay as still as possible you are only going to be as still as the wind will allow and you will see some movement regardless when speeding up the video.  However I was told from a buddy that if you want it to be as still as possible then hovering in sports mode is the best and provides the stillest hovering.  I have not verified this though so am not 100% maybe worth a try.

Interesting, so would this mean that DJI possibly has a different PID setting for the gimbal in sports mode to account for faster jerky motion?  Would be worth trying, especially in windy conditions!
2018-6-6
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

I would think hovering in Sports mode would be best. It provides the most power to the props for correction. I know tripod mode if there is any wind at all is the worst mode for long exposure photos.
2018-6-6
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

AuroraHunter Posted at 2018-6-6 18:21
I would think hovering in Sports mode would be best. It provides the most power to the props for correction. I know tripod mode if there is any wind at all is the worst mode for long exposure photos.

This is interesting!  I am NO computer programmer and have very little knowledge in this area but I would have thought, the internal program in the FC would provide maximum power/resources to keep the drone stable, regardless of mode.
It would be great if someone from DJI could confirm how this works?  
2018-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules