Mavic Air/DJI Go 4 not recognizing RC (FIX for my Android Device)
10688 32 2018-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
poltergeist004
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153967 ft
United States

I'm using a Moto X4 on Project Fi (Not on the DJI supported device list but has always worked)

This is my first post and I wanted to post this in hopes that it might save someone a lot of trouble.  My Mavic Air was working great until I got the Android 8.0-8.1 updates.  I could connect the RC to the bird but couldn't get video.  I could connect via Wifi with my phone but then couldn't use the RC.  As of a few minutes ago, I can now connect the RC and see the video feed on the phone like it was before.

1. Enable developer mode in Android (Go to Settings, System, About Phone and click on the Build number 7 times)
2.  Go to Settings, System, then open Developer Mode
3. Scroll and  enable "USB Debugging"

Now here is the kicker that got it working because I already had USB Debugging enabled.

4. If you have a lock screen setup either via PIN or fingerprint you have to disable it.
5. Remove the lock screen and restart your phone.

Once I did that I turned the RC on and plugged in the USB cable and it prompted me to open with the DJI Go App.  I really hope this helps some of the Android Users because I've been troubleshooting it for a couple days and I'm a little peeved that it was the lock screen.
2018-6-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Excellent finding, thank you for sharing it!
2018-6-7
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-7 03:36
Excellent finding, thank you for sharing it!

You're very welcome.  I just hope it helps someone else out down the road.  I wiped my phone, downgraded the RC and bird but still nothing.  When I set the phone back up I always set it up with a PIN and nothing would work.  I started running through and disabling settings 1 by 1 and that was the one that fixed it.

Not a big fan of having to leave my phone less secure to fly, but oh well.
2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-7 08:08
You're very welcome.  I just hope it helps someone else out down the road.  I wiped my phone, downgraded the RC and bird but still nothing.  When I set the phone back up I always set it up with a PIN and nothing would work.  I started running through and disabling settings 1 by 1 and that was the one that fixed it.

Not a big fan of having to leave my phone less secure to fly, but oh well.

I can well imagine the nightmare you have had to spot the cause, excellent job!
2018-6-7
Use props
LawLaw242
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86316 ft
Bahamas

So i   tried your suggestion and  it totally worked thank  you so much! So i  usually  keep a finger  print lock + lock scrren on my phone. Can  Ikeep  them and jus  go through the process of disabling and  reseting when I'm ready  to fly  ?
2018-6-7
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

LawLaw242 Posted at 2018-6-7 20:58
So i   tried your suggestion and  it totally worked thank  you so much! So i  usually  keep a finger  print lock + lock scrren on my phone. Can  Ikeep  them and jus  go through the process of disabling and  reseting when I'm ready  to fly  ?

LawLaw, I was able to.  I have my phone setup with my PIN right now.  I'll just disable it and reboot next time I plan on flying.
2018-6-8
Use props
LDG-AL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3264 ft
United States

Thanks. This solution worked for me on a Galaxy S8 and a Mavic Pro.
2018-6-8
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

LDG-AL Posted at 2018-6-8 04:22
Thanks. This solution worked for me on a Galaxy S8 and a Mavic Pro.

Awesome, that's good to hear.  Glad to know it's an Android problem instead of a DJI one.
2018-6-8
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-8 08:16
Awesome, that's good to hear.  Glad to know it's an Android problem instead of a DJI one.

Its a motorola problem not an android problem.
2018-6-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Glad that this is working for others out there having this same issue.  When I see threads started of others having this same problem I point them here to this thread.  DJI should have this as a tutorial for those with Android devices.  
2018-6-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Has been known for years.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-18059-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-16361-1-1.html

Sometimes search is all it takes. Have used this for two years.
2018-6-8
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-8 11:50
Has been known for years.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-18059-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-16361-1-1.html

I did search and unless I missed it in the two threads you posted I don't see anything about the lock screen disabling USB debugging and causing the problem.  The two threads you posted talked about enabling USB debugging in Android, which I had already done and noted in my post.
2018-6-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-8 04:13
LawLaw, I was able to.  I have my phone setup with my PIN right now.  I'll just disable it and reboot next time I plan on flying.

If it's Samsung there is no need to turn anything off.
Mine is setup for fingerprint lock and no need to turn that off.
2018-6-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-8 11:55
I did search and unless I missed it in the two threads you posted I don't see anything about the lock screen disabling USB debugging and causing the problem.  The two threads you posted talked about enabling USB debugging in Android, which I had already done and noted in my post.

Lock screen don't turn of Debugging mode, at least not on Samsung devices.
If that happen on Motorola devices I simply don't know.
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for sharing your experience, hope it helps other pilots who have the problem with connecting their device with the RC.
2018-6-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

OK. So on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (wifi only) tablet, I did the following:
Remove lockscreen security.
Enable USB debugging mode.
Reboot the tablet.
Set USB to RNDIS rather than MTP (default)
Connect and start the RC for the Mavic Pro Platinum.
I then get the acknowledging BEEP, but the RC does not connect. The popup for the DJI app continuously recycles on and off the screen, whilst the USB configuration oscillates between CHARGING and MTP.

If I don't change the default USB configuration on startup, nothing happens.

I'm stuck    Any ideas, anyone?   TIA.
2018-6-11
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-11 22:46
OK. So on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (wifi only) tablet, I did the following:

Found this threat, hopefully it helps.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-84096-1-1.html

Here is the FIX that was posted. "Turn on Controller while connected to Tablet. Start (or restart) the tablet. Click on OK when the USB request comes up.  Wait for BLUE "Enter Device" tab shows up. (Should be immediate as the app starts). Turn on copter."
2018-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-12 06:44
Found this threat, hopefully it helps.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-84096-1-1.html

No Alas.  Been down that route already. Doesn't work for the Mavic Pro in my case.
Frustrating, as it works fine with the Phantom 4.
2018-6-12
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-12 07:07
No Alas.  Been down that route already. Doesn't work for the Mavic Pro in my case.
Frustrating, as it works fine with the Phantom 4.

Any luck with PTP mode in USB Debugging?
2018-6-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-11 22:46
OK. So on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (wifi only) tablet, I did the following:

How did you enable USB Debugging?
2018-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-12 07:21
How did you enable USB Debugging?

It's in Developer options
There's an excellent explanation in this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&extra=#pid1245256
2018-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-12 07:20
Any luck with PTP mode in USB Debugging?

Haven't tried that one (Picture Transfer Protocol?)

Nope - just tried it and I get the same result.
DJI logo pops up and disappears at one-second intervals continuously and cannot be tapped on.
2018-6-12
Use props
poltergeist004
lvl.2
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-12 07:52
Haven't tried that one (Picture Transfer Protocol?)

Nope - just tried it and I get the same result.

Not sure if I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried a different cable?  I know some cables are for data transfer and some for charging.
2018-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

poltergeist004 Posted at 2018-6-12 08:08
Not sure if I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried a different cable?  I know some cables are for data transfer and some for charging.

Always pays to check   But yes, I have three - none works with the Mavic, all work with the Phantom.
2018-6-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-12 08:21
Always pays to check   But yes, I have three - none works with the Mavic, all work with the Phantom.

Two questions. Did the device confirm you have entered developer mode.
Did you use the USB port in middle on RC.
2018-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-12 09:38
Two questions. Did the device confirm you have entered developer mode.
Did you use the USB port in middle on RC.

1)  Yes. I activated developer mode some time ago and the tablet remains permanently in that mode now.
  This is so that I can select RNDIS rather than MTP for the USB port, for the Phantom 4.
2) Yes. The Mavic manual stipulates using the central USB port for my Android device.

I'm sure there's a solution.  I'm hoping some of the Gurus on the forum have trodden this path before me.  I'm not savvy enough to figure it out without a few pointers
2018-6-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-12 10:09
1)  Yes. I activated developer mode some time ago and the tablet remains permanently in that mode now.
  This is so that I can select RNDIS rather than MTP for the USB port, for the Phantom 4.
2) Yes. The Mavic manual stipulates using the central USB port for my Android device.

This is how it is set up in my S7 .

2018-6-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-12 10:09

Forgot one screen.
2018-6-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>

OK I've matched your settings exactly. Restarted the tablet. Check all settings. Connect USB cable. Switch on RC.  After a few seconds I get the connection beep from the tablet but all that happens is, the popup for DJI flashes up and disappears regularly at one second intervals, whilst the USB configuration cycles between MTP and Charging, whether I begin in in RNDIS mode MTP or PTP - makes no difference.

I can fly the drone using just the RC, of course ( restricted to 30m height and 50m radius ) but the tablet remains unconnected.   I'm stumped
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_tFWLgDHpaOMT
New

Guinea

Hi i'm actually use a mavic 2 pro, everything going well with the application until i started recording the application stop. Someone van help? I've a Techno Camon 11 pro  
2019-4-13
Use props
djiuser_mJVAVZdZxNAx
New

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-8 10:10
Its a motorola problem not an android problem.

Not true. I had the problem on my s9 and my LG G7 thin q. But good input you sound super smart.
2019-9-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_tFWLgDHpaOMT Posted at 4-13 11:08
Hi i'm actually use a mavic 2 pro, everything going well with the application until i started recording the application stop. Someone van help? I've a Techno Camon 11 pro

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience that it caused. We've checked the mobile device that you're using and found out that it's not part of our compatible devices. We would like to ensure that this wouldn't be an application problem, therefore, we would recommend using another device which is part on our compatible list. Please refer to the screenshot below.

2019-9-23
Use props
fans10b2f4c8
New

United States

Here is the problem.  No android device that is 9 or higher that I own works.  They are both on the list.  Pixel 2 XL for example is supposedly universally compatible.  Best phone on your list.  Doesn't work.  How are you guys supposed to justify thousand dollar and higher drones that run off the world's most popular platform (Android) and have it not work?  What kind of business model is that ?  Why do I need an old android phone to make this work.  Come on now DJI.  I thought you guys were cutting edge?
2019-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules