Signal loss and 0.400
1537 28 2018-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nywrecker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 832421 ft

At the advise of DJI to upgrade to 0.400 due to issues I was having with my custom buttons, I took the plunge and did it.Now my buttons still don’t work but worse I get signal loss on almost every flight to the point that the screen gets black and RTH is activated. the Air is never more than several hundred feet away.
I fly in very open spaces so there should not be any interference.
I opened a case withDJI and one of their recommendations was to downgrade the FW. I thought this cannot be done.
Any advise?
2018-6-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi,

We apologized for the inconvenience. Can you please provide your case number? Thank you
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow.  just wow.  DJI support actually told you to downgrade?  No, there is no official way to downgrade.

Here is what I had to do to get mine working properly:

update the DJI assistant to V 1.2.4 - can be found here.
connect the Mavic Air to your computer (Mac or PC)
once connected, refresh the firmware on the aircraft.

Make sure the firmware on the controller is updated as well.  When i tried to update my firmware on the controller over the air, it showed that it worked, but when I plugged it up to the assistant, it showed that it had the old firmware.

Then do the visual calibration from within the DJI assistant.  Then do the IMU calibration on the Mavic Air.
Then make sure you do the stick calibration using the DJI Go 4 App.  (make sure that you are using the latest app - IOS 4.2.16 / Android 4.2.16)

I'm not going to promise you that it will solve your problems, but it certainly solved mine.

Good luck, and let me know how it works out for  you!
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-7 05:06
Hi,

We apologized for the inconvenience. Can you please provide your case number? Thank you

Case 1177316
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 05:14
wow.  just wow.  DJI support actually told you to downgrade?  No, there is no official way to downgrade.

Here is what I had to do to get mine working properly:

Take a look at the response below, I will try their recommendation later on today.

I hope all is well.

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical support!

Thank you so much for sending us an email and for letting us know the issue you are having with your drone. I understand this causes problem for you and I know this is so important to you. No worries we will provide you with the best support possible.

May I ask was your drone experienced hard landing or crashed? Please try this troubleshooting steps to see if it will work.

• Go to your DJI Go App settings.
• Tap the HD icon
• Tap the Image Transmission Mode Settings and try to select any of this option Normal, HD or Smooth.

• ​You can also try to choose the Custom and then change the Donwlink Bandwidth and you can also try to move or drag the box to select a channel.

• If the issue persist try to downgrade the firmware to see if it will work.
• After downgrading you can also try to upgrade back the firmware to see if it will work.

Your cooperation and understanding is so much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
You will receive an email survey two days after this email if not responded.
If you happen to be away and won’t be able to answer this email timely, please disregard the survey and reply to us directly.
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nywrecker Posted at 2018-6-7 07:07
Take a look at the response below, I will try their recommendation later on today.

That is a canned response.  That  is just general troubleshooting that they will ask you to do.  With this firmware you cannot downgrade.   Even though there have been a lot of people complaining about this firmware, they have not allowed a downgrade.  There are several threads about that, but if you can, you should probably avoid those.  There is a lot of bickering going on in them and the situation really isn't addressed.

What I would do is go through the steps.  If they don't resolve your issue, I would press for them to allow you to send it in, for warranty service.  Your Mavic Air is under warranty for 12 months from the date of purchase, so yours will still be under warranty.  (since the whole Mavic Air line is only 6 months old)

I hope you're able to get your aircraft working.  It really sucks to be grounded.
2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 07:37
That is a canned response.  That  is just general troubleshooting that they will ask you to do.  With this firmware you cannot downgrade.   Even though there have been a lot of people complaining about this firmware, they have not allowed a downgrade.  There are several threads about that, but if you can, you should probably avoid those.  There is a lot of bickering going on in them and the situation really isn't addressed.

What I would do is go through the steps.  If they don't resolve your issue, I would press for them to allow you to send it in, for warranty service.  Your Mavic Air is under warranty for 12 months from the date of purchase, so yours will still be under warranty.  (since the whole Mavic Air line is only 6 months old)

Here's where it gets even better, and more insulting to people like you and me 3-D...

That canned response wasn't even for the MA, it was for the MP! The MA doesn't have the HD selection option in the DJI GO 4 app, as it only supports one video transmission mode, so this rep that took your support ticket, just like with me, didn't even read your information on what drone you actually are having issues with, and gave you the wrong canned response.

This would make me want to scream!!!
2018-6-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

nywrecker Posted at 2018-6-7 07:07
Take a look at the response below, I will try their recommendation later on today.

Hi nywrecker,

Don't bother with that, they gave you advice for the Mavic Pro, not the Air, and none of those tips are applicable / available to the Air.

I'd respond back and immediately ask to speak with a senior technician, on the phone.
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-7 07:55
Here's where it gets even better, and more insulting to people like you and me 3-D...

That canned response wasn't even for the MA, it was for the MP! The MA doesn't have the HD selection option in the DJI GO 4 app, as it only supports one video transmission mode, so this rep that took your support ticket, just like with me, didn't even read your information on what drone you actually are having issues with, and gave you the wrong canned response.

yep.  I hear some good stories of support, but most of what i hear are these assembly line, canned response, incorrect guidance answers.  And yeah, I did scream when I read their response.
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 07:37
That is a canned response.  That  is just general troubleshooting that they will ask you to do.  With this firmware you cannot downgrade.   Even though there have been a lot of people complaining about this firmware, they have not allowed a downgrade.  There are several threads about that, but if you can, you should probably avoid those.  There is a lot of bickering going on in them and the situation really isn't addressed.

What I would do is go through the steps.  If they don't resolve your issue, I would press for them to allow you to send it in, for warranty service.  Your Mavic Air is under warranty for 12 months from the date of purchase, so yours will still be under warranty.  (since the whole Mavic Air line is only 6 months old)

Thanks for the tips.
I will try them out.
Was your problem the signal lose, the function buttons or both?
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-7 07:55

That canned response wasn't even for the MA, it was for the MP! The MA doesn't have the HD selection option in the DJI GO 4 app, as it only supports one video transmission mode, so this rep that took your support ticket, just like with me, didn't even read your information on what drone you actually are having issues with, and gave you the wrong canned response.

MP?!
Canned squared then...
2018-6-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Does this apply only to Mavic Air or Mavic Pro as well?
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I firmly don’t believe that firmware has anything to do with weak signal, although you will see many around rush to blame this on FW update.
Below find a video that if used correctly will help with weak signal and distance, but use it correctly.

2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 08:07
yep.  I hear some good stories of support, but most of what i hear are these assembly line, canned response, incorrect guidance answers.  And yeah, I did scream when I read their response.

While you may mock, I can tell you that dji pallidan has been around here and on other forums giving great advice to particularly new users as well as some great advice to professional drone users on inspire and matrice forum for many years,  it seems it’s very easy to get dragged down by others who choose to continually mock and demean moderators and other forum members, who are only trying to help.
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 09:32
I firmly don’t believe that firmware has anything to do with weak signal, although you will see many around rush to blame this on FW update.
Below find a video that if used correctly will help with weak signal and distance, but use it correctly.

I am aware that in this forum the 0.400 FW is on the hot seat with many users complaining about it while others have had no issues. I have no bone to pick with DJI and love my Air. If the FW that I recently upgraded is not the problem, then something else is affecting my (and several other users) drone.
I got my Air in January, flew over 170K feet and never had issue other having to calibrate my compass every flight.
Thanks for the YouTube link. I will check it out.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nywrecker Posted at 2018-6-7 10:00
I am aware that in this forum the 0.400 FW is on the hot seat with many users complaining about it while others have had no issues. I have no bone to pick with DJI and love my Air. If the FW that I recently upgraded is not the problem, then something else is affecting my (and several other users) drone.
I got my Air in January, flew over 170K feet and never had issue other having to calibrate my compass every flight.
Thanks for the YouTube link. I will check it out.

I have already said in other threads that there is a problem with some needing to calibrate, hopefully it will get sorted soon and hope the video helps.
2018-6-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 08:07

most of what i hear are these assembly line, canned response,

Steps: Will your drone power on?
1) Did you qucikly push On/Off button, then press it again?
2) Is your SmartBattery fully charged?
3) Is your SmartBattery installed in drone?
4) Have you tried another SmartBattery in drone?
5) Goto Step 1.

EDITED:  Sorry forgot...
A) Please install latest DJI Firmware update.
B) Please reinstall latest DJI Firmware update.
C) Please re-reinstall latest DJI Firmware update.
D) Please re-re-reinstall latest DJI Firmware update.
E) Please download and install latest version of Assistant, and install latest DJI Firmware update.
F) Please download and reinstall latest version of Assistant, and install latest DJI Firmware update.

2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nywrecker Posted at 2018-6-7 09:22
Thanks for the tips.
I will try them out.
Was your problem the signal lose, the function buttons or both?

I had the signal loss problem.  I also had a few other issues, but all of them were cleared up by doing what  I sent to you.

I really hope it works out for you!
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-6-7 09:27
Does this apply only to Mavic Air or Mavic Pro as well?

i don't know, as i only have the Mavic Air
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 09:32
I firmly don’t believe that firmware has anything to do with weak signal, although you will see many around rush to blame this on FW update.

Thanks for the link.  I've seen this, and followed this procedure, but it did not help my distance problems.  Hopefully it helps others.
I understand that you don't believe it's firmware related.  You are entitled to that opinion.  I only know what I've experienced.  Let's not bring that discussion into another thread.
Thanks
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 09:38
While you may mock, I can tell you that dji pallidan has been around here and on other forums giving great advice to particularly new users as well as some great advice to professional drone users on inspire and matrice forum for many years,  it seems it’s very easy to get dragged down by others who choose to continually mock and demean moderators and other forum members, who are only trying to help.

Please tell me  where in my response I at any time mocked an admin?
Please tell me what part of what I said was untrue.

The response that NYWrecker received was a canned response.  
The response was wrong because it didn't even pertain to his aircraft.
The response did make me scream.

So I offered what I knew to be a possible solution.

I too have received good advice from admins here.  I've also received useless direction from support.
You have given me good advice. You gave NYWrecker good advice in trying to assist in getting more distance.
I happen to disagree with you on your conclusion in the matter of the firmware not causing this.  We have to agree to disagree on it.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 10:20
Thanks for the link.  I've seen this, and followed this procedure, but it did not help my distance problems.  Hopefully it helps others.
I understand that you don't believe it's firmware related.  You are entitled to that opinion.  I only know what I've experienced.  Let's not bring that discussion into another thread.
Thanks

I suppose when I’ve been reading since day one about weak signal both here and on the spark forum,  so it begs the question same complaints on spark forum for 12 months with the vast majority working as they should and the same from day 1 here, but many quick to pick up on new FW as the problem, I ask the question which new firmware, there is a thread running here since the beginning of .300 regarding weak signal weak transmission . But I also see many of those who supposedly had problems are now sorted, so which firmware is responsible.
You will soon see that when new firmware is released there are many who are way to quick to blame new firmware for all that ails their drone and in time most of these realize that there is more to it than they think.
Believe me I’ve had weak transmission with both spark and MavAir, but I’m able to work out why, if you don’t have weak transmission one day and do the next day this is not a firmware problem.

And while you think that I don’t believe firmware updates can cause problems, I’ve had many problems with firmware updates
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 10:41
I suppose when I’ve been reading since day one about weak signal both here and on the spark forum,  so it begs the question same complaints on spark forum for 12 months with the vast majority working as they should and the same from day 1 here, but many quick to pick up on new FW as the problem, I ask the question which new firmware, there is a thread running here since the beginning of .300 regarding weak signal weak transmission . But I also see many of those who supposedly had problems are now sorted, so which firmware is responsible.
You will soon see that when new firmware is released there are many who are way to quick to blame new firmware for all that ails their drone and in time most of these realize that there is more to it than they think.
Believe me I’ve had weak transmission with both spark and MavAir, but I’m able to work out why, if you don’t have weak transmission one day and do the next day this is not a firmware problem.

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, we do not agree. Again, please.  Let's not flood another thread with this discussion.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 10:38
Please tell me  where in my response I at any time mocked an admin?
Please tell me what part of what I said was untrue.

Yes it was wrong, it came from dji paladin who obviously made a mistake, but I suspect yourself  and Edison never made one. I’ve read many of his posts where he is totally degrading to both new and old moderators, whom he thinks are here merely to serve him.
Ill give you some info on dji palidan , he’s been around here for some years usually found on the professional forum these days giving some of the best information on dji drones and is held in very high respect on forums phantom inspire and matrice. I’m certain it was a genuine mistake, but you seem to be not only agreeing with the totally obnoxious Edison, maybe don’t be in such a hurry to jump on the easy bandwagon, while you think that what they do is totally scripted you are wrong.
2018-6-7
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

@NYWrecker  I apologize for the additional commentary that has nothing to do with your issue.  I should have stopped a few posts ago.   Please don't forget to let us know of your progress.

Thanks!
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-7 09:38
While you may mock, I can tell you that dji pallidan has been around here and on other forums giving great advice to particularly new users as well as some great advice to professional drone users on inspire and matrice forum for many years,  it seems it’s very easy to get dragged down by others who choose to continually mock and demean moderators and other forum members, who are only trying to help.

Admin Pallidan has nothing to do with the canned email response I received from DJI tech support.
He simply asked me what was the case number. I assume and hope that he will tell the tech that responded to me that he was wrong on two counts and hopefully someone will look into it for real.
In the meantime I will try the updates recommended and see what happens.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nywrecker Posted at 2018-6-7 13:58
Admin Pallidan has nothing to do with the canned email response I received from DJI tech support.
He simply asked me what was the case number. I assume and hope that he will tell the tech that responded to me that he was wrong on two counts and hopefully someone will look into it for real.
In the meantime I will try the updates recommended and see what happens.

Ok I see that, I’m also sure nobody was trying to mislead you, Mavic Mavic Air it’s easy to mix up.
2018-6-7
Use props
nywrecker
lvl.4
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-6-7 11:03
@NYWrecker  I apologize for the additional commentary that has nothing to do with your issue.  I should have stopped a few posts ago.   Please don't forget to let us know of your progress.

Thanks!

After refreshing the FW of the RCand the Air, calibrating sensors, IMU and compass I was very hopeful that the issues would be solved. They were not.
During my first flight of about 15 minutes, everything was perfect. Even the function buttons worked! I was ready to nominate you for a Nobel prize. During my second battery at the exact same location, a couple of minutes into the flight, the signal loss struck back. RTH was enabled and the Air came back home. I restarted the app, the Rc and the Air. As soon as they connected the signal error would come even both being a foot away and everything was unresponsive.
After several minutes of fidgeting with the app, everything connected with full signal and I flew uneventfully for another 10 minutes.
During the process I discovered that the function buttons stop working after the Air enters an automated mode like Point of Interest. If the mode is not engaged, the buttons work like they should.
I contacted DJI to see if I should send the drone to them. I dont want to fly it under the conditions it is.
2018-6-8
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

nywrecker Posted at 2018-6-8 14:48
After refreshing the FW of the RCand the Air, calibrating sensors, IMU and compass I was very hopeful that the issues would be solved. They were not.
During my first flight of about 15 minutes, everything was perfect. Even the function buttons worked! I was ready to nominate you for a Nobel prize. During my second battery at the exact same location, a couple of minutes into the flight, the signal loss struck back. RTH was enabled and the Air came back home. I restarted the app, the Rc and the Air. As soon as they connected the signal error would come even both being a foot away and everything was unresponsive.
After several minutes of fidgeting with the app, everything connected with full signal and I flew uneventfully for another 10 minutes.

I was hopeful as well.  I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.  I wish I had more to tell you.  Hopefully DJI will get you squared away and flying again soon.  

really sucks though...
2018-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules