Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A recorded full speed fly away after battery change (Germany)
2770 31 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

This guy from Germany had a lot of luck, he did'nt no what was happening a full speed fly away after he changed his battery and had no control on it. However his bird went back to his lucky surprise. The fail safe worked that is at least the credit of DJI but this fly away should not be happened.  

2015-5-14
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Jeez! He was seriously lucky there.  That's some near miss with those buildings!
2015-5-14
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

We do not know the circumstances but he may be one of these calibration junkies who calibrates their IMU and compass every time they cross the road or change.....their mind!

There again, I would love to know what his pre flight checklist mod values were immediately prior to that take off. (Assuming he checked them....assuming he HAS a checklist)
2015-5-14
Use props
gib
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103458 ft
United Kingdom

sure is one lucky geezer

I notice there is quite a large transmitter quite close to where it took off and landed, maybe a contributing factor ?
2015-5-14
Use props
Kvamen
lvl.2

Norway

At least he got some awsome shots
2015-5-14
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

1:25 OMFG!!!! He could not have flown that any better than the lost Inspire did by itself.
2015-5-14
Use props
Airosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

1:25 gave me goosebumps.
Pre-flight check list may be a factor here
It happened to me once with the P2 when it went wild while in mid air.
Almost caught some cranes and a building under construction until I regained control (I don't even know how) and brought it back flying ATTI.
So important to know how to fly ATTI.
After some investigation, found out IMU was all over the place.
2015-5-14
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Yes, def looks like an IMU issue - they way it sped away immediately from launch suggests that.
As to the luck factor - could not even begin to consider the odds - I'd be running off to purchase a lottery ticket!

Even more lucky that the I1 stayed airborne all that time, plenty of opportunity for it to come down and injure someone.
2015-5-14
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

WoW...Th e guy definitely has horseshoes up his.....Taking off at the start like that reminds me of the Realtor with the IMU problem with no Garage Door to stop it. a few months ago..Looked at the date it was posted and checked it against the NOAA  Planetary K factor and they are in the Red....Not overly High but High enough to cause interference ...More RF Voodoo....
2015-5-14
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Wow that was bloody lucky. It's going to take some serious dangles to want to fly that again.
2015-5-15
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

for me it's a fake......
and sheep of internet land are all ready to belive this...
2015-5-15
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
France

For sure it is fake!!!
How would the RTH work if it was an IMU problem...Like there is no more reason for the bird to turn or anything, it would go straight to the ground.

Nice try
2015-5-15
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-5-15 17:41
For sure it is fake!!!
How would the RTH work if it was an IMU problem...Like there is no more reaso ...

yes same think
bt
2015-5-15
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I think its a fake too. Its clear the operator still has yaw control as you see it spin. I can't see it heading in one direction whilst spinning on its yaw axis unless its had GPS.
2015-5-15
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Netherlands

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-5-15 17:41
For sure it is fake!!!
How would the RTH work if it was an IMU problem...Like there is no more reaso ...

To my observations it was for sure no fake. The children where also very supprised and exided it went home and the german conversation came to me as beaded up and spontainious. I speak and understand the german language.

2015-5-15
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

DJI is lucky that the Inspire didn't go backwards and eat the kids face that was standing behind it.   Billion dollar company to zero, in 2 seconds flat.
2015-5-15
Use props
kindasketch
lvl.2

United States

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-5-15 21:39
DJI is lucky that the Inspire didn't go backwards and eat the kids face that was standing behind it. ...

They would definitely be hit with a huge lawsuit then a huge class action lawsuit.

This video is definitely not a fake it why would someone risk their $3500 investment to almost hit those buildings? It's stupid to even think this is a fake.  
2015-5-15
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
France

It is obvious that the footage is just accelerated when it goes between those buildings. Think what you want but their is no reasonable explanation for the inspire behaviour in this video.

The IMU is simply an IRS measuring acceleration over 3 axis, the result of a miscalibration is a false integration by the flight computer, resulting in a straight flight to the ground nothing else.

If someone can explain it, I would believe, for the time being it is just a funny scam.
2015-5-15
Use props
kindasketch
lvl.2

United States

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-5-16 00:49
It is obvious that the footage is just accelerated when it goes between those buildings. Think what  ...

I guess the video of the Inspire 1 flying into the garage door on YouTube is also a fake...  
2015-5-15
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-5-16 00:49
It is obvious that the footage is just accelerated when it goes between those buildings. Think what  ...

Not fake and not sped up at the buildings. There are two people walking on the ground at normal pace.
Another reason it is not fake is that the pilot could not possibly have situational awareness at those sort of distances in reverse!
More than likely the individual has never done an IMU calibration in his life and it was skewed before it even took off.
Or, as can happen, an accelerometer can become stuck in one axis causing the craft to try and correct attitude in that plane. The accelerometer does not alter value on increase in propeller speed and therefore the FC thinks it should increase throttle even more to try and correct.
My money though is on the individual taking out of the box, putting it on the ground and going "Wheeee...watch this"
2015-5-15
Use props
Kolerazie
lvl.1

Germany

Why should that not be real?
I have only tried to gain altitude.
As soon as she was gone.
I saw you just disappear.

I have written a week ago DJI Europa.
To date, no response.

FlyAway with Sound
2015-5-15
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

I also changed the battery.. I also reset home to the new RC position.  then the same thing happened to me with the exception that there was a tree within 15' and the I1 hit the branches.   It was hovering at about 20' when it just took off backwards...just like the I1 in this video.  I was looking at the screen and the SAFE TO FLY- GPS flashed from green to yellow.  Also, I was in beginner mode so it should have just continued hovering when it lost GPS.
2015-5-15
Use props
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 647034 ft
United States

"It was hovering at about 20' when it just took off backwards...just like the I1 in this video."

I had the exact same thing happen as in this video, at takeoff that is, but ours did the same thing as yours Mark. And before anyone claims operator error, checking IMU and compass calibration are on our cross-checked preflight checklist, which is literally checked off point-for-point before each and every flight. Our took off, on battery #3, after 2 successful flights, I always hover for 10 seconds at +-20ft to check all axes, but 5-7 seconds in, the unit went in to full reverse. I tried to correct with full forward input - no response. I tried switching to atti - no response. I tried initiating rtf - no response. The unit continued full speed in to a tree behind us and continued going crazy until it hit the ground and ejected the battery. Honestly, I am extremely happy that it hit the tree, because it was gaining altitude and I am 100% certain that it would have gone for a crazy ride, just as the one did in the video above. After years of building/operating aerial platforms, we have never experienced a single unrecoverable flyaway, NEVER ONCE...before the I1 that is. There is a problem here, whether DJI chooses to acknowledge it or not. We have received two defective units out of the box in a row and are waiting on yet another replacement unit which should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. At least we will have Director to work with when it gets here, because this feature is absolutely paramount to our long-term success...
2015-5-15
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure about this .Something happened for sure .It could be a combo of pilot error and the firmware . Or just one of them .Everything was so fast and how he avoided the buildings and crane is just a miracle . The problem for all of us ,if that had gone into a window and hurt someone .Not his fault maybe .That is just what they need to slow us down and take tests .  Maybe we should have to be licensed .In Canada they require everyone to take a boating test ,same as driving . Just a thought  
2015-5-15
Use props
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 647034 ft
United States

mtnred - This is not an attack on you, so please do not take it as such, but I have to disagree with you. I am a pilot and am deep in to the process of working towards obtaining a 333 exemption for my company. Licensing has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on in the above video, my situation, nor other situations like this. Of course there are cases of pilot error, and I have thought the same thing myself many times, however, in my case, I have very clearly documented that we did every last thing on our checklist by the book, but the exact same thing happened as in this video and as others have mentioned. Before it happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I also was one of those "it will never happen to us because we have developed and put proven systems in place that protect us against this happening." And to be honest, until now, those systems have allowed us to never experience this type of equipment failure in the field (and my company has successfully completed thousands of flights to date.) However, a couple of weeks ago, for the first time ever, there was absolutely nothing I could do. Zero response to my inputs/commands. The problem was/is real, and from the looks of it, this problem is absolutely repeatable in different parts of the world. I am based in Minnesota and I am watching videos of people half way across the world experience the exact same thing I did. We are 100% grounding the I1 until this issue is figured out, no question. For the defensive types on this forum, I get where you are coming from, but trust me, it never happens to you until it happens to you. All of that being said, you will not find that I have ever posted about anything relating to UAV's before, because I am honestly not the type to do so, nor to complain about a product, but I felt obligated to share my experience because I have never operated a more unpredictable/dangerous platform than this one. I just hope DJI figures this out before someone gets seriously injured or killed. The last thing our industry (or the hobby) needs is a story titled "DRONE operator loses control and kills innocent bystander 2 miles away." I, for one, would not be able to live with the guilt if I injured someone with an I1 in the future, knowing today that I absolutely can not trust this platform in its current form. The above video, my incident and many others, could have ended very differently. At this rate of failure, it is just a matter of time before one of these stories is more than just another "crazy" making noise on a forum. I apologize for yet another long rant.
2015-5-15
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Was the battery updated before this flight??
Guess if this ever happened always try and go up!!! Man what a hairy ride...
2015-5-15
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Netherlands

Kolerazie Posted at 2015-5-16 05:20
Why should that not be real?
I have only tried to gain altitude.
As soon as she was gone.

Did DJI ask for your flight log??
2015-5-16
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

info@thepixelbu Posted at 2015-5-16 11:07
mtnred - This is not an attack on you, so please do not take it as such, but I have to disagree with ...

I agree with everything you said and in no way offended .I remember when I first got my I1, I  made a mistake and nearly crashed into my roof . Everything happened so fast . I have had  fly always  but have always got control back .Like you I worry that someone is going to get hurt and there should be a kill switch of some sort .I can not imagine the fear and worry if I saw my bird going between those buildings .Best Mtnred.
2015-5-16
Use props
balanuky
lvl.2

Germany

another flayaway
look for sticks
the owner was able to get it back switching control in ATTI
2015-5-16
Use props
azevedo
lvl.1