Mavic Air Video Footage Jerky / not smooth
17208 26 2018-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fakiro
lvl.1
South Africa

Hi There. I have just aquired my Mavic Air and have a lot to learn !!! It would seem that when capturing video footage to the external SD Card, the footage appears jerky / not smooth, i.e moving objects like cars and people stop / start and don't transition smoothly. Is this a SETTING issue or perhaps the QUALITY of the SD CARD ? Incidentally, what BEST QUALITY SD CARD must I use ?
2018-6-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. May I confirm that do you use the original SD card that comes with the drone or not? Please check all the original videos to see if all of the videos have the issue or only one? At the same time, please provide a sample/original video to us, we'd like to check it. Thanks!
2018-6-8
Use props
Golf007
lvl.1
United States

I too am new to the Mavic Air (I just sold my Phantom 3 one month ago). I have been using SanDisk with speeds up to 100 MB/s and have no issues with jumpy videos.
2018-6-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is this footage directly from sd card played through laptop or PC.
2018-6-8
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

It can also bee to slow computer or player you use.
If you have Google Drive or Dropbox then post a sample as Dji Diana advised.
2018-6-8
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

Try 30 fps and see if that changes anything.

It did for me.

2018-6-8
Use props
Fakiro
lvl.1
South Africa

Appreciate it “guys” Let me try all the advice. I’d saved footage to Acer PC and played from PC. I’m awaiting a 64GB 100mb/s SD card I ordered from Amazon. Will also try making f/s setting to 30. Will advise thereafter.
2018-6-8
Use props
Fakiro
lvl.1
South Africa

Bluehook Posted at 2018-6-8 18:18

It did for me.

Thanks, I’ll try
2018-6-8
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Please also consider checking your shutter speed. It is practically impossible to get smooth/non jerky video with MA during a bright day unless you use a ND filter. If your shutter speed is too high while shooting you will get jerky feeling video. You can also check this by pausing your videos and looking at your individual frames.  If they are all sharp without any motion blur, there is your problem...
2018-6-8
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fakiro Posted at 2018-6-8 21:33
Appreciate it “guys” Let me try all the advice. I’d saved footage to Acer PC and played from PC. I’m awaiting a 64GB 100mb/s SD card I ordered from Amazon. Will also try making f/s setting to 30. Will advise thereafter.

Keep in mind most PCs cannot play back 4K or 2.7 k video unless they have a lot of processing power and a dedicated graphics card.  I think that will actually be the cause of your problems.
Try transferring the file to your smartphone and see how it plays there (as phones can handle hi-def video better than most PCs.
Alternatively, try shooting in just 1080p rather than 4K.

CHeers
Ian
2018-6-8
Use props
Fakiro
lvl.1
South Africa

CemAygun Posted at 2018-6-8 22:31
Please also consider checking your shutter speed. It is practically impossible to get smooth/non jerky video with MA during a bright day unless you use a ND filter. If your shutter speed is too high while shooting you will get jerky feeling video. You can also check this by pausing your videos and looking at your individual frames.  If they are all sharp without any motion blur, there is your problem...

Thanks, I’ll try it
2018-6-9
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

Fakiro Posted at 2018-6-9 00:42
Thanks, I’ll try it

Yeah, I should ave mentioned, 1080 at 30 fps -- for me personally and my 6 year old PC, anything higher than that is all jerky and smeary and pixelated.
2018-6-9
Use props
Free2be
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229570 ft
Belgium

When you buy a MA, have you receive an SD card included? I have buy it seperately.
2018-6-10
Use props
Fakiro
lvl.1
South Africa

Free2be Posted at 2018-6-10 02:50
When you buy a MA, have you receive an SD card included? I have buy it seperately.

No, I did not get one with Mavic Air. I bought separately
2018-6-10
Use props
Free2be
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229570 ft

Hello Fakiro,
Have you try it with the same settings and save them on the internal memory?
So you can find if it's only the SD card or something els.
I use a Samsung 64 GB 100 MB/s UHS Class 3 card and have no problems with it.
I think you have to experimenting with the settings, best for smooth footage video are settings like ISO 100, shutterspeed: 60, 4 K or less and 24 or 30 feeds/sec. (180 rule).
Most likely you need ND filters to maintain this setting.
Succes!
2018-6-10
Use props
Fakiro
lvl.1
South Africa

Free2be Posted at 2018-6-10 04:02
Hello Fakiro,
Have you try it with the same settings and save them on the internal memory?
So you can find if it's only the SD card or something els.

Thanks, will try. Appreciate it
2018-6-10
Use props
Happy Cynic
New
United States

Bluehook Posted at 2018-6-8 18:18

It did for me.

Sorry, newby here. Where is this setting found?
2019-1-5
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
United States

Happy Cynic Posted at 1-5 18:59
Sorry, newby here. Where is this setting found?

Camera settings can be accessed by tapping on this icon (No. 14).

2019-1-14
Use props
djiuser_oHjeYTUFDMnM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59738 ft
Philippines

Anyone help me my mavic air is worst is jump frames from 720,1080,4k all rates and i cannot use any video even pictures... Kamusta ndly help me our ive just been uaing mine for a month
2019-8-10
Use props
cadwr
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm having the same problem! However, you've given me an idea. Does this happen only with the external SD card, or does it also happen when recording to the internal memory? If the former, then it's a card problem. which had not occurred to me.
2019-8-14
Use props
Thesteamer
New

United States

Wellsi Posted at 2018-6-8 23:36
Keep in mind most PCs cannot play back 4K or 2.7 k video unless they have a lot of processing power and a dedicated graphics card.  I think that will actually be the cause of your problems.
Try transferring the file to your smartphone and see how it plays there (as phones can handle hi-def video better than most PCs.
Alternatively, try shooting in just 1080p rather than 4K.

Hope you are still here. I am having the same problem. Your suggestion (file transfer to smartphone) corrected the problem--but when using iMovie to edit, the video remains choppy. Previous to the recent Mavic Air 2 Firmware update (.0034) i was able to record in HDR 4K and playback on my MACBOOK PRO with no problem--however with to new firmware, choice of HDR gives a 4kWide and 4KNormal; but also gives you a NORMAL 4k Wide and Zoom. I don't know which one i used to get the choppy videos. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestion. Hopefully, DJI will come out with some news about these issues.
2020-8-11
Use props
djiuser_cHMccFcgbPQm
lvl.1

Croatia

Free2be Posted at 2018-6-10 04:02
Hello Fakiro,
Have you try it with the same settings and save them on the internal memory?
So you can find if it's only the SD card or something els.

why do you need ND filters?
2020-12-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_cHMccFcgbPQm Posted at 12-16 14:24
why do you need ND filters?

From the outset, let me say this issue has nothing to do with the SD card. It is a shutter speed issue in combination with the movement of the camera. If you have a fast shutter speed and pan the camera quickly, you will get a stuttering effect in the footage. You can do either of two things to minimise the stuttering, slow down the speed of the pan, or use and ND filter on the camera. The ND filter reduces the amount of light getting to the sensor, that means the camera will select a slower shutter speed (the ideal is about 1/50th of a second) and the slower shutter speed will cause a small amount of blurring in each frame. It is this blurring that smooths out the stuttering effect.
2020-12-16
Use props
djiuser_VjVygruMqbAj
New

United States

I have bought 3 sd cards 32gb 64gb and 128gb all different classes/types/brand video is still super pixalated and grainy. When i record only drone internal memory video is great. But sd cards horrible. All cards are brand new. I filmed at night and day. Still horrible footage/mavic air 2. Changed settings, horrible. Guess i will be sending it back.
2020-12-19
Use props
djiuser_VjVygruMqbAj
New

United States

I have bought 3 sd cards 32gb 64gb and 128gb all different classes/types/brand video is still super pixalated and grainy. When i record only drone internal memory video is great. But sd cards horrible. All cards are brand new. I filmed at night and day. Still horrible footage/mavic air 2. Changed settings, horrible. Guess i will be sending it back.
2020-12-19
Use props
Robertodst
New
Flight distance : 57290 ft
Italy

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-6-8 01:21
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. May I confirm that do you use the original SD card that comes with the drone or not? Please check all the original videos to see if all of the videos have the issue or only one? At the same time, please provide a sample/original video to us, we'd like to check it. Thanks!

Unfortunately I have a similar problem, not on the video transmitted to the mobile phone, but on the video recorded on the SD card.
The video lacks some very short intervals, it is chopped.
I googled and found that many people complain about the same problem, in particular this link clearly shows the problem (it is not the only one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuD3qG4hjms
As you can see the video is not smooth and fluid.
I've tried changing all the recording parameters, practically all the combination of resolutions and frame-rates, but the problem always arises, when less when more, in all the cases.
The mavic firmware is updated to latest one.
If someone thinks that the SD card I am using is not suitable then we must also establish that a SunDisk Extreme 32GB V30 U3 is not suitable for use in the mavic air 2.
If someone thinks that my PC is the cause of the problem in the playback phase we should understand which system should be better performing than this
     * -memory size: 63GiB
     * -cpu product: Intel (R) Core (TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
         size: 4446MHz, capacity: 4800MHz
     NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 Max-Q

I am very afraid to notice that this defect is clearly present in all public videos made with the mavic air 2. This could mean that the problem cannot be easily solved with a setting or with the replacement of a different SD card, or other than the user can do.Really I hope this is not the case.

Thanks for your suggestions

2020-12-24
Use props
Basel1790
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25354 ft
United Kingdom

No ND filter, but i seem to be getting some lag, and stuttering, taken on 1080p 30fps anyone have any idea's

https://youtu.be/u_utyfn8VYA

sorry this is a better example

https://youtu.be/4SMhG0_Az9Y

2022-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules