3996 57 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks, just tested the props and I get around -1db with them, but the high pitch is deffo lower....
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good to know   
2018-6-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Appears they are as advertised.
2018-6-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They are worth it just to bring the pitch down, if you had them side by side it would be greatly noticeable just for the pitch alone, if ya want them to be quieter, forget it if ya dont have the v2.0
2018-6-8
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the update.
2018-6-8
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
Flight distance : 157746 ft

I would expect that when the inventory of the older props is gone, the new design will simply replace it.
2018-6-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

dewein Posted at 2018-6-8 11:05
I would expect that when the inventory of the older props is gone, the new design will simply replace it.

Some people may prefer the noisy ones so that they can hear where the aircraft is.  Sometimes the noise is very useful, although normally I would prefer quiet.

Although it may be better to replace the noisy ones with a special noisy version of the new ones, identical except for some whistle holes near the blade tips
2018-6-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You need to fly farther away, so that sound is gone, completely...

Not sure why you need silent props in your high espionage missions of mercy... grin

Don’t want to frighten the wild life? Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-6-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-8 12:43

I sent it up to film a steam train last weekend, there was a guy with a huge tripod, video camera and massive microphone setup not too far away - quiet props might not have ruined his video!

I was also using a microphone, don't mind a bit of drone noise in the background, but quiet is still better.
2018-6-8
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Just got mine in today, will test them out this weekend.

2018-6-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-8 13:37
I sent it up to film a steam train last weekend, there was a guy with a huge tripod, video camera and massive microphone setup not too far away - quiet props might not have ruined his video!

I was also using a microphone, don't mind a bit of drone noise in the background, but quiet is still better.

It only makes noise at start up and take off.

Surely a train is much louder. Even one not running. Ha

Sorry for the guy with the large lens. He can hopefully make a second Video.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-8 13:39
Just got mine in today, will test them out this weekend.

[view_image]

Those are pretty sweet...

RedHotPoker
2018-6-8
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

I've seen a couple videos online where it looks like the sound is a bit quieter, perhaps 2-4dB quieter. I noticed a slight difference when I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with the new blades and my friend was flying his P4P with the conventional blades on it. Can't say it was a huge difference but somewhat noticeable.
2018-6-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-6-8 16:46
I've seen a couple videos online where it looks like the sound is a bit quieter, perhaps 2-4dB quieter. I noticed a slight difference when I was flying my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with the new blades and my friend was flying his P4P with the conventional blades on it. Can't say it was a huge difference but somewhat noticeable.

Somewhat barely noticeable difference. Cool.

I will whisper about them from now on. Nothing to shout about.

RedHotPoker
2018-6-8
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-8 16:51
Somewhat barely noticeable difference. Cool.

I will whisper about them from now on. Nothing to shout about.

I haven't been on these DJI forums long but I have to say I admire the sarcasm you bring to many threads.

Thanks for being my good neighbor to the north as I live in MN and I see you're in Canada. Eh?
2018-6-8
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

You think it's quieter, then you go back and fly a Mavic.  The Phantom is loud, period.  I notice that on hovering the noise seems about the same P4 Vr 2.0 or P4 both with new props.  Flying up sound is noticeable, coming down as the props bite, still about the same.  But at distance the P4 Vr 2.0 is not as noticeable as my P4 P4.  The P4  Pro. has a whine, to it that is hard to miss.  

Still glad to see some improvement.  

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-6-8 16:57
I haven't been on these DJI forums long but I have to say I admire the sarcasm you bring to many threads.

Thanks for being my good neighbor to the north as I live in MN and I see you're in Canada. Eh?

Ah yes, it’s good to break up the monotony once in a while, several times a day. Hahaha

Glad that you are here, appreciating the comraderie and fellowship amongst us dji drone owners and product users.

It’s a great place to chat and shoot the breeze when the props aren’t spinning, to help cool us down.

BCD0566A-FBA8-4F55-AF34-21A8EF68AA2B.jpeg
Feels safe here... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-6-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-8 15:13
Surely a train is much louder. Even one not running. Ha

Yes, the train is louder, but on this video you can still hear the drone as it flies passed the microphone.  If the drone was properly quiet then we could put the microphone on the drone, that would be much better!

2018-6-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

We have all heard some videos from the early generation DJI Phantoms.
The onboard microphone recorded nothing but rotor buzz...

RedHotPoker
2018-6-9
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-8 17:01
You think it's quieter, then you go back and fly a Mavic.  The Phantom is loud, period.  I notice that on hovering the noise seems about the same P4 Vr 2.0 or P4 both with new props.  Flying up sound is noticeable, coming down as the props bite, still about the same.  But at distance the P4 Vr 2.0 is not as noticeable as my P4 P4.  The P4  Pro. has a whine, to it that is hard to miss.  

Still glad to see some improvement.  

I agree, just tested mine, maybe a little less pig squeal but still loud and annoying. They will serve as an extra set of props if needed. Nothing like the difference between stock MP props and the 8331's. Maybe if DJI tweeked the ESC's with the FW like they did with the MP it might help.
2018-6-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here ya go look, Ken Heron got the same results...

2018-6-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m gonna assume that since Ken had something hanging of the back of the P4P, this test isn’t super accurate.  Not that I disagree with the results which are “meh” at best.
2018-6-11
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-8 13:37

Can you share your microphone setup?
I also tried something to record the sound of the props but it didn't work out well.
2018-6-11
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a major difference in the level of noise created by my P4P using standard props and the new V2.0 props. It's much quieter now. Granted the Obsidian looks like crap with white props, but there was a major reduction of noise with them. The bell whine is barely perceptible and the squadron of angry hornets, sounds like a small herd of non Africanized bees now.

Jeff
2018-6-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-11 10:15
There's a major difference in the level of noise created by my P4P using standard props and the new V2.0 props. It's much quieter now. Granted the Obsidian looks like crap with white props, but there was a major reduction of noise with them. The bell whine is barely perceptible and the squadron of angry hornets, sounds like a small herd of non Africanized bees now.

Jeff

You can dye or stain your props.
RIT dye https://www.ritdye.com

That or coloured pens.
http://www.sharpie.com

RedHotPoker
2018-6-11
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-11 09:00
Can you share your microphone setup?
I also tried something to record the sound of the props but it didn't work out well.

In the following video,

The first clip is from a Gitup Git2 action camera with a pair of Boya LM20 microphones, normally used in stereo but in this case connected in mono to pick up the steam train at greater distance.  This provides the sound for the whole video.  

The Phantom 4 is hovering over the river positioned to film the train crossing the bridge, the second clip of video.  Distance from the microphone is 65m horizontal, 11m vertical, with some trees between them.

Third clip is from a Gitup G3 action camera.

Forth clip is from the Phantom 4 again.  

With the train back down the valley beyond the hill the Phantom is making most of the noise, you can hear the train from the start of the video but the Phantom is spoiling the sound (might need some big speakers to hear the train), once the train comes round the corner it is only the higher frequency drone noise that is noticeable, maybe the new quiet propellers would remove most of those higher frequencies?  The Phantom doesn't become inaudible until the train is quite close.  At the end of the video the Phantom is out of range of the microphones at around 500m and we can just hear the river and the birds in the trees.

Black Five No. 45212 (Built Nov 1935) accelerating out of Exeter with the Cathedrals Express from Kingswear, 11 June 2018, not going chuff-chuff and blowing clouds of white steam!

2018-6-11
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-11 13:15
You can dye or stain your props.
RIT dye https://www.ritdye.com

Hmmm... Sharpie... Me: starts digging through junk drawer...

Jeff
2018-6-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-11 16:51
Hmmm... Sharpie... Me: starts digging through junk drawer...

Jeff

There are some incredibly detailed Phantoms, with custom hand drawn Sharpie design.

Or simple.

What do you think? Tear her down...?

RedHotPoker

2018-6-11
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-11 15:54
In the following video,

The first clip is from a Gitup Git2 action camera with a pair of Boya LM20 microphones, normally used in stereo but in this case connected in mono to pick up the steam train at greater distance.  This provides the sound for the whole video.  

Thank you, Nigel, Very kind of you giving this detailed explanation!
Gotta learn something here...
2018-6-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-11 10:15

Jeff

db and the sound type are different, i said from the beginning that the pitch is lower, this in itself  gives the impression that its a lot quieter, both Ken and I got the same, -1db less
2018-6-11
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-8 12:43

I like the quiet props on the v2.0. It doesn't attract attention when I fly it in the park. Once at tree top level, it's barely audible, and from my videos, I can see people are not even looking up at the drone as it passes nearby.

For those with litigious neighbors, a quiet drone is a godsend, too. How many times have we heard stories of "my neighbor calls the cops whenever I fly my drone in my yard" posts?
2018-6-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I would never fly a drone, bigger than a micro, in my yard.

But if I did, it would be www.real flight.com Drone version. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-6-12
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-12 07:56
I like the quiet props on the v2.0. It doesn't attract attention when I fly it in the park. Once at tree top level, it's barely audible, and from my videos, I can see people are not even looking up at the drone as it passes nearby.

For those with litigious neighbors, a quiet drone is a godsend, too. How many times have we heard stories of "my neighbor calls the cops whenever I fly my drone in my yard" posts?

I agree. It's much quieter when I fly around the neighborhood. Last weekend I was flying along the nearby creek, then up the street back to the house. After landing and going inside I heard my wife say there are Police cars outside. Blood pressure up, I walked outside to find that the lady next door had fallen and they were responding to that. So see, the drone didn't attract any attention. ;-)

Jeff
2018-6-12
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-12 08:32
I would never fly a drone, bigger than a micro, in my yard.

But if I did, it would be www.real flight.com Drone version. Haha

Are you in Tokyo? That would be a problem. But outside a major city, the initial testing of a new drone is usually one's yard. I have a flat roof (actually was intended to be a helicopter landing and parking space back in the days when I had the ambition of owning my own flight transport) that I use for testing my drone before I take it anywhere else to fly. The only downside here is too many trees!
2018-6-12
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-11 17:43
There are some incredibly detailed Phantoms, with custom hand drawn Sharpie design.

https://youtu.be/bR1IChf91mM

Those are great, but I'm a zero when it comes to artistic talent.

Jeff
2018-6-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-12 08:35
I agree. It's much quieter when I fly around the neighborhood. Last weekend I was flying along the nearby creek, then up the street back to the house. After landing and going inside I heard my wife say there are Police cars outside. Blood pressure up, I walked outside to find that the lady next door had fallen and they were responding to that. So see, the drone didn't attract any attention. ;-)

Jeff

Perhaps, She fell, running to the phone, to call on you!! Haha

Not!! ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-6-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-6-12 08:36
Are you in Tokyo? That would be a problem. But outside a major city, the initial testing of a new drone is usually one's yard. I have a flat roof (actually was intended to be a helicopter landing and parking space back in the days when I had the ambition of owning my own flight transport) that I use for testing my drone before I take it anywhere else to fly. The only downside here is too many trees!

No, I’m here, in Edmonton Alberta. Gods country. Chuckles
Come on up and see us, some time....  ;-)

Sadly your flying car plans, fell through the roof!? Grin

RedHotPoker

2018-6-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-12 08:36
Those are great, but I'm a zero when it comes to artistic talent.

Jeff

Abstract art, takes only your vivid imagination.

What are your favourite colours? Start there, on paper. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-6-12
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-6-12 08:49
Abstract art, takes only your vivid imagination.

What are your favourite colours? Start there, on paper. ;-)

Black, like my cold dead heart.

Jeff
2018-6-12
Use props
rangers95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584695 ft
Switzerland

I'm tempted to buy a pair, anything to minimized the whining high pitch.  I guess, I'll spray them black maybe with some stripes, ooooh the possibilities
2018-6-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules