In rural areas I have RC control but phone will not connect.
597 8 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Birge Media Group
lvl.1
United States

Mavic controller won't connect to phone + I maintain RC control + Only happen in rural areas

Equipment
  • Mavic Pro
  • Mavic Pro Controler
  • LG V30
  • 3 Different USB Cables all that end in USB-C
Firmware
  • App 4.2.20
  • Mavic 01.04.0300
  • Precise Fly Safe (Aircraft) 01.00.01.09
  • Precise Fly Safe (App) 01.00.01.09
  • Basic Fly Safe 01.00.01.07

I live in South Texas so it can be pretty hot most of the time, not sure if this info helps but I use my Mavic extensively at least 3 times a week and have only had this issue a couple of times but for some reason it has started to happen to me more often and I am trying to track down the issue.

First off I have tried 3 different cables including the original cable I've used both ports on the controller and all cables are properly working. The issue occurs most when I am in rural areas where there should be little wifi interference and sometimes no mobile services.

Startup Process

1. Boot up the Mavic
2. Booth up the controller while connecting to the phone.
3. DJI App starts automatically every time.

When I am at my office or even in a neighborhood in city limits it works without a hitch, but when I am out at the beach or in one of these areas I will run the same process to start but the phone will not connect and will give a warning that the aircraft is disconnected. Now I can control the Mavic with the controller but without the phone connection I cant see or do anything. But the moment I am back at my office or inside the city the phone will connect to the controller and I will have video and all other controls.

I noticed this issue once before and thought it was my phone so I bought a new phone (LgV30) and bought another cable I thought it fixed the issue but once I was back out in these areas the problem occurred again.

I would love to know if anyone else has experienced these issues, especially under these specific circumstances. I would love to know how to fix this because I use the Mavic professionally. I've contacted support and they say they will allow me to send it in for repairs but the wait time is 2-3 weeks to get it back. (which I'm not really sure that's accurate I've heard horror stories about support taking months.  

Thanks!

2018-6-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

This is really weird. The connection between your mobile device and the RC should not have anything to do with where you are.
2018-6-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would say that the issue is probably your device - try using a friends iPhone in the same area - it will probably work
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience. As of the moment, LGV30 is not yet fully compatible. It means that it could work sometimes but not always. Please check the list of our compatible devices for our Mavic pro.

2018-6-8
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

Silly questions.. but you said...

3 Different USB Cables all that end in USB-C

Have you tried a standard cable?  I don't know what connector the LG-V30 uses.  My Samsung uses the USB Micro.  But try a standard USB-A cable connected from the bottom of the Mavic Controller to your phone.  Just make sure that nothing is in the Side port of the controller when testing it.  Try using your cable that you use to transfer data to and from your LG.  
2018-6-8
Use props
Joshua Birge
lvl.1

4 Days of testing.

Hey, guys sorry for the late reply. I have been working a lot... shooting with the Mavic actually...
After this past Thursday when I had the connection issue I haven't had one problem since. I shot the same day we opened this form which was the day after I had the issue. I didn't experience not one problem with my phone or the drone and I was in city limits and had great cell reception.

I am not super convinced that this is a compatibility issue because the phone I had before and used multiple times was a Nexus6P I only switched to the V30 because this issue started happing when I was shooting out of the city. I thought this issue was the phone so I bought a new one (V30)+new cable. So this issue is something that has happened with a supported device before we got the LGV30. I have not been out at the island yet but I will continue my tests and document them as much as I can on this form because I feel like the Mavic, controller, and phone are functioning properly I think there is something else going on I just can't put my finger on it.

So far the only variable that has been the same when this issue occurs is when I am out in the middle of nowhere...
2018-6-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Joshua Birge Posted at 2018-6-12 12:32
4 Days of testing.

Hey, guys sorry for the late reply. I have been working a lot... shooting with the Mavic actually...

Given that I fly in airplane mode with cellular and WiFi turned off I can't see how having great cell reception will help as if anything, it would normally make the signal worse due to causing interference...
2018-6-12
Use props
Joshua Birge
lvl.1

A CW Posted at 2018-6-12 12:41
Given that I fly in airplane mode with cellular and WiFi turned off I can't see how having great cell reception will help as if anything, it would normally make the signal worse due to causing interference...

Tell me about it neither do I. Mainly I was noting the cell reception to re-enforce that I wasn't in any rural areas these last 4 days of shooting and I had not one issue.

I have a feeling I will be out on the island soon and will hopefully have more info about the area and situation. I think I'll see if I can use my phone to test the wifi signals in the area to get a good idea if there's any interference that my phone can pick up on.
2018-6-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Joshua Birge Posted at 2018-6-12 12:51
Tell me about it neither do I. Mainly I was noting the cell reception to re-enforce that I wasn't in any rural areas these last 4 days of shooting and I had not one issue.

I have a feeling I will be out on the island soon and will hopefully have more info about the area and situation. I think I'll see if I can use my phone to test the wifi signals in the area to get a good idea if there's any interference that my phone can pick up on.

Good idea to check the area - there may be a massive cell tower nearby etc
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules