Any danger of the spark overheating while idle?
2161 7 2018-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MeatWagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 415630 ft
United States

Hello everyone,

Is there any danger of the Spark overheating while sitting idle on the desk? I noticed the fans can make quite a bit of noise while the Spark is idle. Is there a thermal cutoff in the event of overheating? And am I in any danger of that happening while sitting idle in an air conditioned room? Has anyone had any problems with this?
2018-6-8
Use props
kitejust4fun
lvl.1
Flight distance : 538 ft

as soon as I power on the spark I hear the fan. The electronic need to be cooled even if the spark is on the ground.
2018-6-8
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
United States

@kitejust4fun I realize that the fans start up whenever it's on. I'm wondering if it could overheat if it idles for a long period of time.
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Normally if the spark is overheating you will be prompted with an error message on the app. May I know if you receive any error message?
2018-6-8
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-6-8 12:46
Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Normally if the spark is overheating you will be prompted with an error message on the app. May I know if you receive any error message?

I have not received any errors or anything. I think I may just be an overprotective drone parent. I just wanted to know if letting it sit idle is going to hurt the electronics of the drone or if I am in the clear.
2018-6-8
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

I got an overheating warning when I left Spark idling on the table to do something that took longer than I expected, about 20 or 30 minutes. I think cooling depends on a flow of air through the Spark as well as the fan.
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

MeatWagon Posted at 2018-6-8 12:49
I have not received any errors or anything. I think I may just be an overprotective drone parent. I just wanted to know if letting it sit idle is going to hurt the electronics of the drone or if I am in the clear.

Hello,

I'm sure if you can hear the fan in the drone itself, the drone is good. Make sure that the ventilation holes of the drone are not blocked as the heat generated may hurt you and damage the device. Please store the intelligent Flight battery and remote control device in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to ensure the built-in LiPo battery does not overheat. Just use the drone in moderate weather conditions with temperatures between 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C).
2018-6-8
Use props
Macbiz
New

United States

We received a processor overheating error when performing IMU calibration, which took longer than expected. Then later again with flying about 30 minutes later with a fresh, cool battery. Flying outside in 73-degree weather.
2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules