Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OK, I'm an FAA licensed pilot
3595 16 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muleshoe2
lvl.1

United States

I got my license years ago but flew less than 200 hours. I have not flown in many years and my medical is out of date.

If I go get a medical, my understanding is my license is still good, I would just have to go for a check ride in a plane I am certified in before I could rent one for solo flight. Single engine, fixed-wing, land (as opposed to water skis), and less than 300 horsepower. I don't think I would have to take a check ride in an aircraft. All I have to have is a current medical and my original license to be "current."

If all that's true, now I can apply to the FAA and legally fly a drone for commercial reasons, i.e. professional photography, right? Is there any kind of "check ride" with an FAA examiner for this drone "certification?"

I had not heard the FAA is requiring permission for commercial work before I bought the P3 and joined this forum. It's my first foray into the hobby. I just intended to do photos for pleasure but perhaps I'm in a good position to do more?

2015-5-14
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

Check your state laws too.  Some have passed their own bills. NC has similar commercial requirements.
2015-5-14
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Muleshoe2, in the US, everyone must follow the same set of rules established by the FAA. There are no special state rules that overrule the FAA's rules. That said, you should check out the following link for more information on submitting a petition for exemption:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislati ... _to_file_a_petition

There is no "check ride" -- nor do you need a 3rd class medical certificate. You just need an exemption and a valid airman certificate (at least a recreational or sport pilot certificate).

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-14
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.4
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-15 09:33
Muleshoe2, in the US, everyone must follow the same set of rules established by the FAA. There are n ...

I already applied for an exemption, Do I need to wait until approval and get a pilot certificate like from the Ama ?
2015-5-14
Use props
mike
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ara9112003, you don't need wait to get your pilot certificate. If/when your exemption is issued, it will require at least a recreational or sport pilot certificate.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
2015-5-14
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.1

United States

I appreciate the replies and the link. Mike, that site is just what the doctor ordered. I think what earns some brownie points with them is their knowing you can read a sectional map and understand exactly how restricted airspace works and how to recognize it on a map before you get to the location and so on. There's no overlap in flying ability. Obviously.

Talk about stumbling into something. I did photojournalism work in Texas and Oklahoma back in the 70's and 80's. Finally got my daughter interested in photography and she hopes to open her own studio in a couple of years.

Now that I'm semi-retired, maybe she can put me on her payroll!! And I have a son in real estate in Austin, TX, who wants my daughter to come down and shoot for him (She says there's not enough money in real estate photography). Hell, I may need to  chuck this retirement BS and go have some fun with the P3.
2015-5-14
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since you haven't flown in years you need a medical because you need that to have a current license. You need a bi-annual, then just fly at least every 90 days if you want to carry passengers.
The exemption may take several weeks before it even shown up at a petition. I submitted mine just about a month ago and it's not even on the FAA website yet as a petition. Who knows how many months until I'd even get an exemption.
My suggestion is it will take a few days to properly get everything together for the petition and in the meantime you can fly your drone around and get your SEL current. That way when you do apply and upload all your documents, you can include proof that your a CURRENT licensed pilot and also,have a drone logbook just so they know your familiar with a full scale aircraft and your drone.
2015-5-14
Use props
Fingerlaker
lvl.1

United States

From FAA website regarding Section 333 exemptions: "By law, any aircraft operation in the national airspace requires a certificated and registered aircraft, a licensed pilot, and operational approval."
I don't take that to mean that you need to be current pilot, meaning I wouldn't go out and get a medical, flight review and rent a plane to make 3 T/O and landings so you can fly a drone commercially. Even the FAA must see the logic in that. Other than some airspace awareness, there really is almost no overlap with flying a drone and a Cessna.
2015-5-15
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.1

United States

Excellent points by Jasper and Fingerlaker. One way or the other or perhaps something in the middle of your two scenarios will turn out to be what the FAA is doing. I just get the impression that what they're doing today may not be what they're going to do a month or a year from now -- so both of you may be right.

I had forgotten about a biennial. Crap, I'll have to lose some weight. I'm pushing the weight limit of a 152 by MYSELF!

I guess a 172 would allow the examiner to go along for the ride.

All of you have pointed me to good websites and all I can do is try something until it works. I'm in no great hurry, I have other hobbies and farming keeping me busy right now. Speaking of websites, I also had forgotten the FAA is king of the acronym. Jeez, I'm burning up Google trying to keep up with what they're talking about.

Thanks again, guys. I know this is kind of off the wall, but you've all been very helpful.
2015-5-15
Use props
mike
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"I don't take that to mean that you need to be current pilot, meaning I wouldn't go out and get a medical, flight review and rent a plane to make 3 T/O and landings so you can fly a drone commercially. Even the FAA must see the logic in that."

Actually, that's precisely what they mean. You must have at least a recreational or sport pilot certificate. A driver's license is now accepted in place of a 3rd class medical certificate.

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-5-15
Use props
Fingerlaker
lvl.1

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-16 08:14
"I don't take that to mean that you need to be current pilot, meaning I wouldn't go out and get a me ...

You're right, Mike, but you don't need a medical (that's a biggie),assuming you have a driver's licence, and you wouldn't need to comply with the 90 day flight proficiency as specified in 14 CFR § 61.57. Here's the wording the FAA uses in granted exemption with regard to certification and proficiency of PIC.

Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport,
commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a
current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a
state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal
Government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in
14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate
2015-5-15
Use props
mike
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Fingerlaker, I was referring to the following FAA news release:
http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82485

All exemptions are different. Mine does not read exactly as you've quoted above.

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-5-15
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-15 09:33
Muleshoe2, in the US, everyone must follow the same set of rules established by the FAA. There are n ...

I somewhat agree with this. But you realize States have the ability to make laws more strick than federal.  What they can't do is make more lenient laws.  Just like the feds could go into Colorado and bust pot dealers if they want to.  What really bothers me is that I don't have the money to fight the state in court over the laws they are passing.  I've recently heard that NC is considering updating and clarifying the laws.  We need to keep the heat on the legislature.
2015-5-15
Use props
kriley50
lvl.1

United States

I thought this was an interesting article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/john ... flying-without-one/

2015-5-16
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Silly rules are silly rules.

Just use your common sense.

As I understand it, there is no issue with you using your RC quadcopter for recreation, including video and photos.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-16
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fingerlaker Posted at 2015-5-15 13:03
From FAA website regarding Section 333 exemptions: "By law, any aircraft operation in the national a ...

The 3 take off's and landings every 90 days currency are only so you can carry passengers, to keep current you need the bi-annual.Ih ya, the original poster said something about 300hp, actually your license will be 200hp, over that you'll need an endorsement for high performance.
2015-12-1
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Nothing to do with this conversation, but if you are checked out in a high performance aircraft, do you still need the "endorsement"?  Reason for question, I have lots of hours in what they now classify as high performance (retractable/constant speed prop), but that was before an endorsement was around.   SEL/MEL Commercial, not current in anything.
2015-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules