2102 27 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I always said and thought new competitors are good for the customers and, in return, for the companies who wants to be dynamic...
And it seems MA recently got one. Let's be honest, the newcomer has several features which are above my MA, 21mp Sony camera with 180º vertical motion, longer flying range and flight time, is lighter and more wind resistant, cheaper, with a 2yrs warranty and 30 days return for Europe, and others to be discussed and debated in the following days.
Perhaps DJI will react with a new model, I guess this Parrot's move was not expected and is the first real hit to DJI's market supremacy. In the (perhaps) unlikely event, the newcomer will not behave as or have Karma's faith.
I'd expect DJI to increase its warranty for the already owners of MA, although I'm quite skeptical about the latter.
Should I sell my MA

2018-6-10
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

Interesting remarks.
Remember, Mavic price decrease actualy.

Do you have real photo realized by Anafi ? (realized by real user, not by Parrot)...
2018-6-10
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

"21mp Sony camera" is the sole reason that drone is stillborn. In this day and age, I don't know how they managed to do something this stupid, utterly unbelievable... With competition that bad, no wonder DJI does not show much of an effort...

PS: It is a 1/2.4" sensor by the way, what a joke!  
2018-6-10
Use props
alonzowest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>

they will announce the mavic pro 2 and you will forget all about the parrot. it always seems to happen like this!
2018-6-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

https://www.parrot.com/us/drones/anafi#reviews
With some impressive features I will still choose dji over parrot. We have seen in the past their drones really do not make it on the market, no vision sensors etc. Better the Devil I know then the one I dont.
2018-6-10
Use props
Free2be
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229570 ft

I still stay with DJI. Maybe I would build one in the future, just for fun.
2018-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’d say dji are sh*tting themselves. (;+).....
2018-6-10
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

CemAygun Posted at 2018-6-10 01:20
"21mp Sony camera" is the sole reason that drone is stillborn. In this day and age, I don't know how they managed to do something this stupid, utterly unbelievable... With competition that bad, no wonder DJI does not show much of an effort...

I don’t understand your comment. How could having a better camera than any current Mavic be a bad thing?

2018-6-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I'll stay with DJI.
2018-6-10
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Vaporware! Why get excited about something no one has ever seen?
2018-6-10
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-6-10 03:52
I don’t understand your comment. How could having a better camera than any current Mavic be a bad thing?

I beg to differ... Mavic air camera photosites are %40 bigger and even then, they are borderline acceptable. On top of that, the mentioned sensor has to do a lot of pixel binning for videos to scale down to proper resolution at full field of view. I won't even go into the diffraction limit at that sensor size/resolution combination....

Lossless digital zoom and HDR video are just gimmicks in which the sensor bins/utilizes those incredibly small photosites in different manners.  

Honestly, IMX230  is one of those "Marketing Department Design" products . It took the digital photography world more than a decade to get rid of the baloon resolutions. Eventually consumers learned that it is the size of the pixels (photosites) that matter, not the number of them.

This camera is a disturbing step back in my humble opinion...

There is only one place to go from where we already are; and that is towards a bigger sensor.

PS: I am assuming the sensor is IMX230 as all the specs match perfectly. Not that it makes any difference, as my opinion is based on the officially published specs...

2018-6-10
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

CemAygun Posted at 2018-6-10 01:20

Does MA has a 1" sensor ? I didn't noticed it, neither for the MA, nor for the MP. I know will have a bunch of critics, but competition it is not bad at all.

And I'd like to have zoom capability if not on my MA, at least on my Phantom 4P...
The pictures and videos we'll see from Parot users will say better than our comments if this is a step ahead.

Having placed it below MA price, they find customers and if the model will be good enough, who's afraid off?...

I don't feel so necessary ultra-intelligent flying modes (boomerang, asteriod, etc., to name only some). One can use them once, twice...how many times ? It was more a marketing tool to attrack new clients for a (new) product where, the most important competitor of the manufacturer was the manufacturer himself...
When new competitors appear, prices go down, features go up and customer service goes better...

Anyway, this move will force DJI to come on the market with better models, which is exactly what I was trying to express.
DJI have the capacity and readiness to launch new models, but, logically, they were waiting a while, to maximize and get a bettter return from the already selling models (investments).
Remember how and what happened after Karma's launch...

2018-6-10
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I have ordered one as the 180 degree camera interests me.
I don't expect it to be better - or worse - than other drones.
We shall see what is real and what is hype.
2018-6-10
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I wonder if this is why we have seen so many software problems as of late because DJI is actively working on a new better model?  
2018-6-10
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

15matjan Posted at 2018-6-10 05:47
Does MA has a 1" sensor ? I didn't noticed it, neither for the MA, nor for the MP. I know will have a bunch of critics, but competition it is not bad at all.

And I'd like to have zoom capability if not on my MA, at least on my Phantom 4P...

Well there is a significant pixel size difference between a 1/2.3" 12MP sensor and a 1/2.4" 21MP one.

Never the less, we definitely need the competition, there is no argument there. Only if it was a bit more "challenging"
2018-6-10
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-10 05:54
I wonder if this is why we have seen so many software problems as of late because DJI is actively working on a new better model?

I don't think so...There have been always software problems and this trend I think will continue.
Phantom 2 were rock sturdy drones, no problems at all, Phantom 3 got more tech and few more problems, definitely less than Phantom 4s...Mavics following the same trend.
The more software and autonomous flight features a drone gets, more chances something go wrong when flying. One of the solutions is to get more and more redundant systems, but nothing is 100% safe.
And, when dealing with flying objects, this reliability factor should be even doubled...

Problem is that computers are able to think faster than humans and, when it comes to have a computing situation which was not, previously foreseen when programming, a bug is for sure...
2018-6-10
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft

CemAygun Posted at 2018-6-10 06:04
Well there is a significant pixel size difference between a 1/2.3" 12MP sensor and a 1/2.4" 21MP one.

Never the less, we definitely need the competition, there is no argument there. Only if it was a bit more "challenging"

Well yeah, you have 9 million more pixels in a similar space.
2018-6-10
Use props
Kevin79
Second Officer
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Looked great at first glance, but I lost all interest as soon as I read basic features like "follow me" are available only as in app purchases.

Capture.JPG
2018-6-10
Use props
bony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180013 ft
Poland

Parrot is much slower than MA
2018-6-10
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

And does not have OA...I think the perfect drone is yet to be manufactured...
But still an interesting option for those who do not want a racing drone and can pilot the AC by themselves...
2018-6-10
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

bony Posted at 2018-6-10 06:58
Parrot is much slower than MA

But it is able to fly in higher / stronger winds ...
2018-6-10
Use props
bony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180013 ft
Poland

15matjan Posted at 2018-6-10 08:17
But it is able to fly in higher / stronger winds ...

This is no need for me
2018-6-10
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-6-10 05:16
Vaporware! Why get excited about something no one has ever seen?

There are several videos and reviews out there of the Anafi not to mention several hands on sessions during the reveal itself.
2018-6-10
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

The obstacle avoidance on the Air has saved me twice since I got it and I am pretty careful. Not having at least forward sensors on the Anafi was just stupid. It didn't even have to be vision-based, a simple sonar based sensor would have helped. Hey Parrot, here's one for $3:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13959
2018-6-10
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I am sure MP2 will be much better but also double the price and size. They are targeting for different market. DJI need Spark 2 or MA2 if really want to kick it out.
2018-6-10
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

A good tool people want not only with awesome figure and function. Most important is it works every time when you need it and always perform as you expected. Reliable is most important key factor. Especially when you hanging big money on the air in each flight.
2018-6-10
Use props
djiuser_iTYmGJ1Ipw3c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

alonzowest Posted at 2018-6-10 01:41
they will announce the mavic pro 2 and you will forget all about the parrot. it always seems to happen like this!

I think the Evo will give it a run for its money.
2018-6-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The competition coming out with models that aren't quite as good as DJIs near 2 year old model isnt exactly going to force a reaction.
They'll likely release mavic "2" in Q4 which has been the plan all along.
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules