Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hi new to drones, looked at fourums still confused over tablets
815 27 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
victorfrankl
lvl.1

Vietnam

Hi All
I am new to drones and have read loads of forums about the dji go4 app seems to have loads of issues with compatibility.
What I have seen does seem at times contradictory so I am looking for some simple current and good advice, about which tables works and are good to use with a Mavic Pro.
I just want to use the tablet for the drone but the budget is an issue and want a good but low-cost solution.
Hope you can help me out
ps. I am open to either Android or Apple

2018-6-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi and welcome to the forum. The best known most stable tablet to use with any Dji product is the Apple ipad mini 4. no need for tablet extenders etc, it fits into the RC
2018-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mini 4 will work fine, if you can stretch to Crystalsky might be worth having a look at.
2018-6-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I use an iPad mini 2. Apple is the best choice.
2018-6-10
Use props
Captain Mal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

And just to throw some flavor in here if you're not in the apple ecosystem, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8". It has no troubles at all with DJI Go and also fits into the controller without an adapter.
2018-6-10
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Remember that the tablet is going to be your sole viewing device of the software when outside and filming.  Keep in mind those bright sunny days and how you may have a hard time viewing the screen especially shining directly down on the tablet.  You want a bright screen.  For this the CrystalSky is going to be the brightest out of most out there.  To give you an idea your ipad's are typically 500-600max NIT.  The CrystalSky is 1000 NIT and 2000 NIT on their high end model.  I do not have a CS but will be my next purchase.  I own an iPhone 6 plus and many times I nearly cannot see anything on my screen even using a sunshade when it is very bright out.  Have to hope you have some shade you can run over to.  With the CS this is not an issue.
2018-6-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Recommend the Mini 4 if you're going down the tablet/ipad route
2018-6-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, here are our recommended devices for you to use it as a screen for your Mavic pro.  
2018-6-10
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Captain Mal, are you using Nougat? I have left it on marshmallow because of the problems it used to have. Hopefully they've sorted it now?
2018-6-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

got the mini 4 and very happy with it.
2018-6-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Welcome!
On the opposite side of the screen spectrum : I use my iPhone SE.
At first I was scared if it was good enough, but so far it works.
I might upgrade one day to an iPad, but since they are so expensive, I'm not sure about that.
2018-6-10
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Works fine with a Nexus 7 2013 stripped down as a drone-only tablet.  Cheap as hell too.
Also works nicely on Mediapad M3.
Phone wise works fine on Nexus 5x (cheap and old), newer pixel phones etc etc
2018-6-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-6-10 06:00
And just to throw some flavor in here if you're not in the apple ecosystem, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8". It has no troubles at all with DJI Go and also fits into the controller without an adapter.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8", which runs DJIGo4 perfectly with my Phantom 4, but I can't get it to connect to my recently acquired(used)Mavic Pro Platinum.  Any tips you could provide would be helpful. TIA.
2018-6-11
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-11 10:49
I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8", which runs DJIGo4 perfectly with my Phantom 4, but I can't get it to connect to my recently acquired(used)Mavic Pro Platinum.  Any tips you could provide would be helpful. TIA.

Try this.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=151530
2018-6-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-6-11 02:18
Works fine with a Nexus 7 2013 stripped down as a drone-only tablet.  Cheap as hell too.
Also works nicely on Mediapad M3.
Phone wise works fine on Nexus 5x (cheap and old), newer pixel phones etc etc

Are you using the Nexus 7 with the Mavic Pro?  Does it fit easily into the RC with the arms extended?
TIA.
2018-6-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-11 10:52

Thanks. I'll try debugging in the morning, though I already have developer mode enabled to change USB option to RNDIS for my Phantom 4.  I don't have a lockscreen on my tablet, unless you mean swipe to unlock?
2018-6-11
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I am going to agree with most of the replies that the iPad Mimi 4 is a good choice.
I have the 128GB wi-fi only and it is dedicated to the Mavic . Most of the Apps on it deals with the Drone.
It is a perfect fit in the controller and most of the time I don't even use a sun hood.

And yes , Welcome to the Forum.
2018-6-11
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use iPad Mini 4 when I’m not using my iPhone 8 Plus. Pretty stable and reliable. Fits a treat and works well.
2018-6-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
France

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-11 10:52

Tried your suggestion, but alas it did not work. Any other ideas?
2018-6-12
Use props
Captain Mal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 337890 ft
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-6-11 10:49

I'm using with the  Mavic Air, but I didn't do anything special. I'm using the full size USB port on the bottom of the controller rather than the mini USB on the side. Maybe that makes a difference?
2018-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>

Captain Mal Posted at 2018-6-13 10:45
I'm using with the  Mavic Air, but I didn't do anything special. I'm using the full size USB port on the bottom of the controller rather than the mini USB on the side. Maybe that makes a difference?

That's the port I'm using, too. As stipulated in the manual.
I'm stumped at the moment.
I can fly the drone with the RC (limited to 30m high and 50m radius) but without the tablet connected
it's of limited use.
2018-6-13
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

My tab s2 you need to plug it all in and turn on the controller then restart the tablet.
2018-6-20
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iPad mini 2 work fine, iPad Mini 4 works fantastically brilliant. Two options, both iPads.
2018-6-20
Use props
miketmtpro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

In our local drone club here there are many users of all platforms.

You can review specs for any device. Brightness of the screen being one. Having GPS on board is also important to some users.

Lately a lot of users in our drone club have chosen these:

Android-
Galaxy Tab S3- 4G ram Super fast CPU, 680 ni screen brightness, GPS, SuperAmoled display. Most popular of Android tabs here. Most users with S3 run fpv modes on highest resolution, especially for photos. S3 handles it all fine (until recent app updates of which those users reverted to prior versions that restored that uninterrupted functionality).

Tab A10.1- Meets min spec, but might require a lot of backrunning apps be shut down. Go4 is a resource hog.
Iconia- Many like these because they don't auto shut down in heat or cold. They work, but near min spec for Go4.
Zen Pad 3- Another decent tablet with varied results. Great spec, works well with Go4.
Shield- Hard to find one now, but was a great tablet for the Go4 app and Android community. Bright screen, decent tracking.
Huwei- several models but users here have seen variants of the product ordered. They do work with Go4

iPad Pro- nice unit, costly, and more expense if GPS is required. Fairly bright screen but nowhere near as bright as the Tab S3
iPad Mini 4- decent compact unit. Works well but not good at all in any sunlight. Needs a tablet shield. Good spec for Go4 app.
IPad Air. Similar to mini 4. It works well enough, but has had reports of disconnects by some users.

Oddly enough we have a mixed bag of Android and iOS users in our club here of currently 55 members. Some more ambitious Android users have rooted tablets and customized them for both Litchi and Go4. We had guys that swore iOS allegiance and moved to an S3 or Crystal Sky after finding their screen needs were not exactly met. It's a mixed bag, but enough of the users are all helpful in getting others to have the best experiences at their own budgets.  Both camps have had their fair share of issues with either the Go4 app or the software updates from their mfg or even DJI.
2018-6-20
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>

Jenkins Posted at 2018-6-20 10:17
My tab s2 you need to plug it all in and turn on the controller then restart the tablet.

As suggested by yourself, and another user ona different thread. Switch the Tab S2 on last of all, and it seems to work.Provided that the defaults have been cleared for DJI Go4 and/or Litchi before previous shutdown of the tablet.
2018-6-21
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.1
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-11 13:29
I am going to agree with most of the replies that the iPad Mimi 4 is a good choice.
I have the 128GB wi-fi only and it is dedicated to the Mavic . Most of the Apps on it deals with the Drone.
It is a perfect fit in the controller and most of the time I don't even use a sun hood.

I am leaning towards going with the iPad Mini 4.
I see there is Wi Fi and cellular options, do I need GPS? If so, can I turn on my cellphone hotspot and connect to "WiFi?
Anyone have a good source for a good, used Mini 4?  thanks
2018-10-8
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Gadgetmann123 Posted at 2018-10-8 09:29
I am leaning towards going with the iPad Mini 4.
I see there is Wi Fi and cellular options, do I need GPS? If so, can I turn on my cellphone hotspot and connect to "WiFi?
Anyone have a good source for a good, used Mini 4?  thanks

I am happy with my mini 4 that has wi-fi only.
Never had the need to have GPS at the controller., Never moved away from  Home Point so the MP always RTH using it's own onboard GPS coordinates.
For maps I connect to the wi-fi  that is on the cell phone. If out by my self, with out a cell phone , I just cache the maps at home and that works for me.  
I know eBay has a lot of new and manufactured refurbished Mini 4s.
I got mine from Amazon over a year ago.
2018-10-8
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IPad mini 4 with a mavmount and hoodman sunshade is excellent even in the harshest of light
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules