She said YES! (to DJI Goggles) I said No.
1646 22 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

So been bugging her the past few months... please please please will you... I got a ring and everything...

ring.jpg
2018-6-10
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So I have been shopping around and reading reviews... I will be honest now that I can buy them they are starting to look less and less attractive the more I read about them. Blury vision and not good for making video and photos... this was a main reason I wanted them.

Can anyone clarify if they are or are not good for making videos and photos?
I sort of imagined hitting record and using the head tracking to make epic videos.
Is this just a fantasy? I can't use the Goggles to make smooth videos?
Maybe invoke tripod mode with head tracking? Is this not possible?
Please share. (I read that videos are opposite of smooth... jittery and jerky.)

Also the blury thing is concerning... I am far sighted so there is a great possiblilty this will effect me.
I looked into it and I have to spend another 30+ bucks to fix a problem that should not exist?!?!
$349 USD is quite steep for a product that I may have to buy something else to make it work right.Not complaining but that seems a bit of an oversight by DJI... throw in the corrective lenses "included" and this issue goes away.

I know some of you may say... "then dont buy them and move on." I get it. and perhaps this may be the best option.
2018-6-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I don't own the white pair, I do own the Re's and they are awesome. In my experience I haven't had any issues. I say go for it you won't be sorry.
2018-6-10
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-6-10 01:46
So I have been shopping around and reading reviews... I will be honest now that I can buy them they are starting to look less and less attractive the more I read about them. Blury vision and not good for making video and photos... this was a main reason I wanted them.

I own them and love mine. But using head tracking to make smooth videos will take awhile to concur. I very rarely do that and prefer manually shooting my subject or object...it eliminates the guess work on how close you are if working at a distance..and also be able to see objects not visible..like invisible power lines or branches...just sayin...for blurry I went with focus fixers...no more blurry
2018-6-12
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very lucky man there.  Awesome that she said to go for it.  My wife thinks they are too dorky looking.  I will be getting the CrystalSky though instead as I really need a bright screen badly here in the extrem sunny state of Nevada.  My iPhone 6 plus screen just is not cutting it.  
2018-6-12
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-6-12 17:21
I own them and love mine. But using head tracking to make smooth videos will take awhile to concur. I very rarely do that and prefer manually shooting my subject or object...it eliminates the guess work on how close you are if working at a distance..and also be able to see objects not visible..like invisible power lines or branches...just sayin...for blurry I went with focus fixers...no more blurry

Can you use Tripod mode with the head tracking movements and get a smooth video?
2018-6-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats and enjoy      
2018-6-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-12 17:32
Very lucky man there.  Awesome that she said to go for it.  My wife thinks they are too dorky looking.  I will be getting the CrystalSky though instead as I really need a bright screen badly here in the extrem sunny state of Nevada.  My iPhone 6 plus screen just is not cutting it.

Yeah.. I use an ipad mini 4 and a sun shade. I crank the brightness up to 100% on the ipad and it seems to work fine as long as the temp outside isn't too hot. (ipad overheats and clocks down cpu)

I still have not pulled the trigger... I have had them in cart ready to click and just could not do it. I fear that I will use them for maybe a week or so and then they will get shelved. The novelty of FPV will wear off quickly and I would need to find a practical use for them... creating epic photos and videos. So far I have heard only bad about using them to create photos and videos... very lacking. So it makes this purchase more of a $199 sort of purchase than a $349. I just do not see the higher value in this product beyond a good set of FPV goggles. If I can find a solid working pair (refirb?) for alot less money it would make it much easier.
2018-6-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-6-13 03:08
Yeah.. I use an ipad mini 4 and a sun shade. I crank the brightness up to 100% on the ipad and it seems to work fine as long as the temp outside isn't too hot. (ipad overheats and clocks down cpu)

I still have not pulled the trigger... I have had them in cart ready to click and just could not do it. I fear that I will use them for maybe a week or so and then they will get shelved. The novelty of FPV will wear off quickly and I would need to find a practical use for them... creating epic photos and videos. So far I have heard only bad about using them to create photos and videos... very lacking. So it makes this purchase more of a $199 sort of purchase than a $349. I just do not see the higher value in this product beyond a good set of FPV goggles. If I can find a solid working pair (refirb?) for alot less money it would make it much easier.

I am a believer in refurbished especially that I have more than 1200 miles flown with my refurbished mavic pro.  Here you go $279 makes it a little more attractive.  https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... m=pages-refurbished

I just wish they would put a crystal sky refurbished on their site as I have yet to see a single one since I have been looking for three months.  
2018-6-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
United States

Oh shoot I see that it now says out of stock for the refurb goggles   I figure they would just pull the listing from their refurb listings.  
2018-6-13
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-6-13 02:57
Can you use Tripod mode with the head tracking movements and get a smooth video?

I'm gonna say... no. The motion of the Gimbal in head tracking mode is good for looking around if you're not flying the bird. It's a bit jerky and not very smooth at all. I've worn them in head tracking mode when I wasn't at the controls, and it's pretty awesome to be able to turn your head and face something you're interested in. But the video playback looks like crap to me. I tried to fly using head tracking mode and it was too difficult to know when the nose of the aircraft was pointing. So, IMHO, if you intend to use it to direct the gimbal for shooting video... you need to have someone else at the controls using the instruments, map or radar to direct the aircraft, and you need to be very slow in your head tracking movements to obtain decent video. I tried it, and immediately I was aware that it wouldn't be of much use to me. Also, the gimbal movement isn't affected by placing the aircraft in Tripod mode. Only the speed of the aircraft is affected. If you can create very delicate head tracking movements you might be successful, but I doubt it.

Jeff
2018-6-13
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Also the blurry thing is concerning... I am far sighted so there is a great possibility this will affect me

Being Far Sighted is a problem. I bought a pair of cheater readers, I'm a 3.0 and I got 3.5's and I can see clearly using them when wearing the goggles. It is a pain to be constantly swapping glasses as I don and doff the Goggles. Focus Fixers seem to be the way to go as was stated earlier.

Jeff
2018-6-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-13 06:30
I am a believer in refurbished especially that I have more than 1200 miles flown with my refurbished mavic pro.  Here you go $279 makes it a little more attractive.  https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-refurbished-unit?from=pages-refurbished

I just wish they would put a crystal sky refurbished on their site as I have yet to see a single one since I have been looking for three months.

Thanks! Yup I saw that shopping around but it always says: Out of stock
2018-6-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-13 10:38
I'm gonna say... no. The motion of the Gimbal in head tracking mode is good for looking around if you're not flying the bird. It's a bit jerky and not very smooth at all. I've worn them in head tracking mode when I wasn't at the controls, and it's pretty awesome to be able to turn your head and face something you're interested in. But the video playback looks like crap to me. I tried to fly using head tracking mode and it was too difficult to know when the nose of the aircraft was pointing. So, IMHO, if you intend to use it to direct the gimbal for shooting video... you need to have someone else at the controls using the instruments, map or radar to direct the aircraft, and you need to be very slow in your head tracking movements to obtain decent video. I tried it, and immediately I was aware that it wouldn't be of much use to me. Also, the gimbal movement isn't affected by placing the aircraft in Tripod mode. Only the speed of the aircraft is affected. If you can create very delicate head tracking movements you might be successful, but I doubt it.

Jeff

Your posts have been the most helpful. Thank You.
I had some suspicions about piloting with the Goggles on and you have confirmed.

I think for now I will hold off on the Goggles.

Thanks all for your help!
2018-6-13
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-6-13 11:51
Your posts have been the most helpful. Thank You.
I had some suspicions about piloting with the Goggles on and you have confirmed.

Where in the US do you live? I’m near Philly.

Jeff
2018-6-13
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-13 12:25

Jeff

Saw your post. I am in Medford, NJ but work in Center city
2018-6-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-13 12:25

Jeff

I am in Indiana.. not too far.

2018-6-13
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-6-13 13:04
I am in Indiana.. not too far.

My sister lives in Central Illinois, but I’m not visiting her anytime soon... ;-)

Jeff
2018-6-13
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
  • >>>

LIVNXXL Posted at 2018-6-13 12:33
Saw your post. I am in Medford, NJ but work in Center city

I’m in Maple Shade. 20 minutes from you.

Jeff
2018-6-13
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-6-13 15:01
I’m in Maple Shade. 20 minutes from you.

Jeff

Sounds like a drone date in the works. ;)
2018-6-14
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did own a pair and only used them a couple of times to be honest they were not as god as I was hoping, sold them
2018-6-14
Use props
Gregbella
Second Officer

Lucky you have fun let us all know how you go
2018-6-14
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gregbella Posted at 2018-6-14 03:40
Lucky you have fun let us all know how you go

I didn't get them... not going to at this point.  There are MANY better solutions coming out that will be far more useful for the $$. I am going to pass on the DJI Goggles; not what I thought they were and glad I did not make the mistake.

This forum and the users in it just saved me from making a $350 mistake. THANK YOU!

2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules