Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Traveling with your drone internationally. The good the bad and the UGLY
42982 74 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikael
Captain
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Spain

giorgiorocco Posted at 2015-12-24 16:04
I'll fly to US from Milan and I wish to bring my P3P with me.  As non resident citizen in US, FAA do ...

When you come to the US, you can access the FAA page and register. It won't work from another country, only from within the US.
2016-1-30
Use props
5borogates
lvl.1

United States

MJDMike Posted at 2015-5-15 04:51
Houston > Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama all had no problems at all,  No questions, other t ...

Sup Mike ..I'm getting married this August in Costa Rica but I wanted to bring my p3 so I can get great video & pictures but wasn't  to sure if I can bring my drone there..as I read your story I see you went there...is it safe to bring my drone to Costa Rico..should I get a hard case for it..I have the DJI back pack for now...any info will be great...thanks man
2016-3-6
Use props
majoriii
New

United States

New York (JFK) to Zurich, Switzerland and back with no problem either time.  Kept the battery (in a Lipo bag) in my carry-on and my Phantom in my checked luggage.  I've since bought a case for the Phantom and plan on bringing it as carry-on next time.  Too leary about baggage handlers and theft...
2016-3-12
Use props
lewis.bv
lvl.1
United States

MJDMike Posted at 2015-5-15 05:51
Houston > Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama all had no problems at all,  No questions, other t ...

This may be a bit late, because I have recently been doing research myself, and I have come across multiple incidents where batteries were checked, and were either punctured, or something happened with the air pressure or temperature, and they caught fire. LiPo's are self oxidizing, so fire extinguishers can't put them out. This puts the whole plane at risk. I highly recommend playing it safe, and bring your batteries on board. The rest of the kit can go under if you would like.
2016-4-6
Use props
rbendjebar.mac
First Officer
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>

jmaughan Posted at 2015-10-20 04:26
I travelled to Nicaragua last November (2014) and they actually confiscated my Phantom 2 (in the har ...

Be aware that Costa Rica has instituted some rather restrictive regulations since Oct 2015: http://thecostaricanews.com/tech ... ica-no-easy-flight/
2016-4-6
Use props
kellyjgentile
New

United States

Hi Everyone. I just got the Phantom 3 Standard. Next month I am flying from NYC (JFK) > Italy >Malta > Portugal and back.

I have long layovers 2x and would leave airports without access to checked bags so would prefer to carry on all my drone equipment. Any tips? Insights? I've read through the chains but any direct help would be so greatly appreciated
2016-4-20
Use props
cynthialmartine
New

United States

Hi, all,

I have a Phantom 3 and am hoping to take it on a trip to Colombia next week. From the posts of people who have gone to Latin American countries, it seems like there have been no real issues. However, I see that Colombia has instituted some pretty strict drone regulations since 2015. Any advice/suggestions?

2016-4-26
Use props
matthewascott60
New

United States

I need some feedback before I head out in a few days. Chicago-Istanbul, Istanbul-Rome, Venice-Chicago. Been trying to do my research on the places in going but I'm finding contradicting information. Most have positive experience while in Turkey but I'm a little concerned about getting my drone there. Also, apparently in Italy you need insurance now? Has anyone had issues in either place or places I'm going?
2016-4-27
Use props
drdentofamerica
New

United States

Ok, I'm leaving for 3days in Italy, then on a Cruise visiting Greece, Crete, Mykonos, Turkey, back to Rome and flying to Israel for 5 days and then flying back to London...... Thought of where if any I might have problems..... Israel after checking might be a problem and might have to check it at customs and pick up when flying to London.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated..... Don't want to lose my Phantom 3 Professional, but it might be a good excuse to get the Phantom 4.... lol

Thanks Stuart

2016-4-30
Use props
drdentofamerica
New

United States

I just found out that Princess Cruise lines do not allow "Drones" on any of their ships..... doesn't matter if your only flying them on shore when you port..... very sad..
2016-4-30
Use props
dazzaboy2
lvl.1

Mexico

Hi guys, travelled from the UK to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico just the other day. Major problems at customs. Had to pay 3000 pesos to get my bird through, alternative being leaving it with them for two weeks......LOL. They say it is not a camera. It is different. Hey hum. Be aware, I have read on many other forums that Mexico in particular are charging tax on drones.
2016-5-24
Use props
hfisdaman
New

Turkey

jmaughan Posted at 2015-10-19 23:26
I travelled to Nicaragua last November (2014) and they actually confiscated my Phantom 2 (in the har ...

I'm leavin for Costa Rica in about 2 weeks I've seen some things online saying that u need permits to fly there as of the beginning of this year.  Has anyone taken a phantom to costa Rica recently???  If so how did it go?  And even if it was prior to 2016 how did it go???  I will be going from LA to Costa Rica and then back to LA. Much thanks!
2016-6-20
Use props
Rob2160
lvl.1

Australia

mikael@ohlen.nu Posted at 2016-1-31 02:54
When you come to the US, you can access the FAA page and register. It won't work from another coun ...

That is what VPNs are for.

Registered fine from Sydney Australia back in December.
2016-6-30
Use props
KsKGio
lvl.1

Italy

Hi Guys,

anyone from Italy to the USA ? I'm planning to take my P4 to Hawaii (with AA), got the LIPO bag.

Thanks
2016-7-7
Use props
mana.ram.1974
Captain
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

I just went to Honduras and back to USA with my drone and had no problems at all, on one even asked me any questions about it.
2016-7-20
Use props
torresalexander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 319734 ft

I just repentantly flew internationally with my P3. It was very easy and smooth! I flew out of San Francisco to Puerto Rico and then to a island called navis. I had no problems although they did pull it aside to look at   
2016-7-20
Use props
mbundy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3577287 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

torresalexander Posted at 2016-7-21 06:30
I just repentantly flew internationally with my P3. It was very easy and smooth! I flew out of San F ...

I've flown from LA to Sweden via London (LAX->LHR->ARN) and back with my P3P.  No issue whatsoever.
2016-7-21
Use props
dopeytree
First Officer
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

INSPIRE PRO - I've had no problems flying from UK - Heathrow to Turkey to Iraq. Also UK - Bristol to Iceland.
We use this case Peli Storm iM2875 Case which is a direct fit for the DJI case. This allows us to keep the weight down too compared to some of the bigger flight cases. This helps reduce your extra baggage fees. We then carry the lipo batteries on as hand luggage.
2016-7-21
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.3

United States

Anyone ever fly into Saint Lucia?

There should be a thread with and updating list of places people have specifically had trouble. Would be much easier to keep track of.
2016-7-22
Use props
dazdillingah
New

Netherlands

Does anyone have any experience travelling to South Korea with a drone? And can someone tell how strict the rules are about flying it there?
I've read that Seoul has a lot of no fly zones.. but how about the rest of the country? Thnx!

Grtz Lee
2016-8-4
Use props
sharif0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Delta has a 160wh limit on batteries so that means that TB48's are OK?  Their policy limits those larger batteries at 1 installed with the device (must be checked) and up to 2 on carry on baggage.  Unlimited sub 100wh batteries which means unlimited TB47's.
Scroll down to the section regarding lithium ion batteries.

http://www.delta.com/content/www ... stricted-items.html
2016-8-5
Use props
indydenny
New

Ireland?

Anyone tried taking the drone to Ireland?  I would think that there is some dramatic scenery to be had. (We were there two years ago and going again in September
2016-8-9
Use props
iSAv7I6TXVO3
New

United States

5borogates Posted at 2016-3-6 14:28
Sup Mike ..I'm getting married this August in Costa Rica but I wanted to bring my p3 so I can get  ...

Any trouble going to costa rica? My sisters wedding is there next year. Wondering if you had a tough time? Congrats btw!
2016-8-26
Use props
iSAv7I6TXVO3
New

United States

hfisdaman Posted at 2016-6-20 09:34
I'm leavin for Costa Rica in about 2 weeks I've seen some things online saying that u need permits ...

Any luck? Gonna be in costa rica next year
2016-8-26
Use props
iSAv7I6TXVO3
New

United States

indydenny Posted at 2016-8-9 11:59
Anyone tried taking the drone to Ireland?  I would think that there is some dramatic scenery to be h ...

Was in ireland earlier this year on a groupon. I wish i had aerial footage. So beautiful!!  My fav thing was the giants causway!
2016-8-26
Use props
fansc4a441c6
New

United States

I am traveling from Chicago to Nairobi, then Nairobi to Paris.  I plan to bring my DJI phantom 3 as a carry on.  I am not worried about the US side, but more about it getting confiscated in Nairobi or Paris.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these places?   Thanks.
2017-2-15
Use props
HenriTheDrone
New
United States

Hi,

Has anyone had luck contacting the Jordan Aviation Authority? I am going to Petra next week and have not heard back from any of them.

Thanks,
Dan
2017-3-15
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I fly in the US, can you take your drone and fly in Germany, London, and Paris, or do we need to register or sign something there.
2017-3-18
Use props
QuadLove
New
Flight distance : 105016 ft
Singapore

Monkeyking Posted at 2015-6-8 16:39
USA~China
China~Japan
China~Korea

Hey Monkeyking,
I'm planning to take my Mavic Pro to Tibet. Did you had to take a special permit for your done? If so, how did you apply for it?
Thanks
2017-3-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-18 06:29
I fly in the US, can you take your drone and fly in Germany, London, and Paris, or do we need to register or sign something there.

Flying  in central  London or Paris is pretty much out of the question.
2017-3-29
Use props
Drone Cuiabá
First Officer
Flight distance : 13272894 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I've had problems twice on domestic flights when I tried to carry the batteries in my carry-on luggage. Unfortunately, Brazilian air companies prefer to forbid what they think about it.
2017-3-30
Use props
TheWhiteGuy
New

United Kingdom

I am planning on travelling to Istanbul with either a DJI Spark or DJI Phantom 2 Vision, as part of hand luggage, I was wondering if there was anything anyone got input so I am aware of what to do.
2017-6-15
Use props
rjv09
New
Nepal

I am planning to buy a DJI Phantom Advanced from China through DJI official website in china. So, I'd like to know if i would be able to fly that drone in Nepal or not and i would also like to know if the language used in it would be Chinese or English?  
2017-7-29
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice videos, thanks for sharing.
2017-7-29
Use props
networth
Captain
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

I made a detailed on this topic, may be it can help someone.

2017-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules