ESC Error - Spark in Texas being operated on
4181 12 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Back in early May, I opened up my case to fly one day and got a weird high pitched "beep" that didn't sound right.  My Spark sounded ill.  Not the opening, ready to rock beeps that I was accustomed to hear prior to flying.  I got into DJI4Go and saw I had an "ESC Error" in which it stated "1No.ESC Error," 2, 3, 4 and to contact DJI support.  I re-flashed the firmware, but no go.  I downgraded the firmware and that worked for a couple weeks and I was able to fly, take pictures, etc.  I had a brief online chat with support, but had hopes it had corrected itself.  
It happened again right before Memorial Day, I did the same thing as above, it again corrected the issue, and I was able to take pictures of the family on the deck, etc.  But, given it happened twice, I was concerned.  Not sure if my downgrading the version was what helped it, or if it was just circumstancial.  

A few weeks later, no go again...just from opening up the case.  Flew one day, put it to bed, opened the case another day, toast.  No crashes, didn't bounce it off a tree, etc.  Tried the re-flash and downgrade again, but that didn't work this time.  So, I had to send Sparky to TX to get operated on and turns out, it's a $6 ESC board that was bad.  I'm not really familiar with what this board does, but looks like it is the Electronic Speed Controller from reading a bit online.  

Wondering where I got all four errors, if it was a bad board in the center of the Spark vs. if they are in each prop?  Not sure if anyone can add to this, but it is covered under warranty, should be fixed in 3-6 days and I hope to have it back by EOM.  Bottom line, probably if you get this, "ESC Error" that you are heading down a path that would need to be fixed by DJI, I don't have the skills to fix one on my own.  

Funny how attached I've been to the little guy and that I miss it being in my "bag of tricks" to take photos.  I've had him for almost a year.  Very impressed with the overall durability, size, performance, etc.  Hoping this was just a board that came loose, or was a glitch that has been corrected and that it was a one time deal.  

If this post helps anyone to know more about it (with help from experts below), then I hope the forum community is better for it.  
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Cravenfan, sorry to know that you have difficulties with the drone. As you had sent the drone in, the local team will help to take care of it. If there is help needed during the repair progress, you can let me or our support know, we are glad to help.
2018-6-11
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-11 21:26
Cravenfan, sorry to know that you have difficulties with the drone. As you had sent the drone in, the local team will help to take care of it. If there is help needed during the repair progress, you can let me or our support know, we are glad to help.

Thanks Thor, I"m sure they will take care of it.

The only issue unresolved is that I asked the Rep on the call about the end of May deadline on DJI Care Refresh program.  Since I could not send in a video to get approval to re-up that, due to the warranty issue of the ESC Error, she asked me to send an e-mail to DJICare@dji.com  to let them know the situation and unfortunately, I got no response.  

I re-sent the e-mail again and still did not get a response.  The Rep on the phone told me I'd be able to purchase the refresh program once I got my Spark back and could provide the necessary video, but I wanted a written confirmation on that.  

I have the notes I sent, so I'll call once I get the Spark back and my expectation is that I can re-up at that time for the $39.
2018-6-12
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Basic function of the ESC:

Takes the supply voltage and in conjunction with the signal wires from the mainboard connected to the flight controller (FC),
It interprets output from the flight controller and turns it into a 3 phase electrical supply.
This charges and discharges the wire windings inside the motor in sync to produce a rotating motion.
The more intense the signals from the FC, the more RPMs are produced.

In other terms, the ESCs make the switching for the charging and discharging possible.
Sometimes at switching rates from 400 to 600 times per second.
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Cravenfan Posted at 2018-6-12 12:29
Thanks Thor, I"m sure they will take care of it.

The only issue unresolved is that I asked the Rep on the call about the end of May deadline on DJI Care Refresh program.  Since I could not send in a video to get approval to re-up that, due to the warranty issue of the ESC Error, she asked me to send an e-mail to   to let them know the situation and unfortunately, I got no response.  

Just to ensure that we are on the same page. Your drone didn't purchase the DJI Care Refresh before, and this is the first time you want to purchase it, right?
If so, you may receive an email invitation after the drone is sent back to you, then you can purchase it within 72 hours.
As for your email no responding issue, could you please provide me with your ticket number? I will help to check.
2018-6-12
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-12 23:25
Just to ensure that we are on the same page. Your drone didn't purchase the DJI Care Refresh before, and this is the first time you want to purchase it, right?
If so, you may receive an email invitation after the drone is sent back to you, then you can purchase it within 72 hours.
As for your email no responding issue, could you please provide me with your ticket number? I will help to check.

No, I had it before, as I purchased it a year ago with the Spark. This was the renewal offer for $39. The email I received on 5/4 stated:

“Renew DJI Care Refresh and Extend Your Product’s Warranty Period!”

“DJI Care Refresh + provides one more opportunity to replace your DJI product, and the warranty period of your product will be extended by at least 12 months. Replacement or repair services will be provided for product damage caused by a user error, accident, or manufacturing defect.”

“Till May 31st, you can apply to purchase DJI Care Refresh + if your DJI Care Refresh has expired, and your drone is normally functioning.
*Before purchasing, please contact us via Facebook Messenger @DJI Support and inspect the drone.”

I couldn’t complete the last step prior to 5/31 due to the ESC issue.

2018-6-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Cravenfan Posted at 2018-6-13 09:18
No, I had it before, as I purchased it a year ago with the Spark. This was the renewal offer for $39. The email I received on 5/4 stated:

“Renew DJI Care Refresh and Extend Your Product’s Warranty Period!”

Double checked, the last repair is in DJI Offical Service Center, right? If yes, please kindly offer the repair case number, we'd like to check the exact status.

As for the email issue, there will be a ticket number automatically once the email was sent to djicare@dji.com successfully, please kindly offer the ticket number or your email address, we'll investigate. Thanks so much.
2018-6-13
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-13 22:52
Double checked, the last repair is in DJI Offical Service Center, right? If yes, please kindly offer the repair case number, we'd like to check the exact status.

As for the email issue, there will be a ticket number automatically once the email was sent to djicare@dji.com successfully, please kindly offer the ticket number or your email address, we'll investigate. Thanks so much.

I sent a PM...
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Well received, thanks so much! I'll forward this to the designated team for review and help you get an update. Hope we can figure this out soon.
2018-6-14
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-14 20:04
Well received, thanks so much! I'll forward this to the designated team for review and help you get an update. Hope we can figure this out soon.

Thanks. Got a call earlier, but the DJI Rep didn’t seem to have any of the email trail, nor the original call log?  All I’m looking for is a waiver to purchase the DJI Care Refresh that ended on 5/31 for the Spark for the $39 that I wasn’t able to do because of the ESC Errors. My Spark is repaired and supposed to be delivered on Tuesday and I’d like to be able to send in the video requirement then.

Rep said she’d call back again, but seems a bit disjointed.  After all this, I’m wondering if DJI should just provide me a free year extension.
2018-6-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Cravenfan Posted at 2018-6-15 08:10
Thanks. Got a call earlier, but the DJI Rep didn’t seem to have any of the email trail, nor the original call log?  All I’m looking for is a waiver to purchase the DJI Care Refresh that ended on 5/31 for the Spark for the $39 that I wasn’t able to do because of the ESC Errors. My Spark is repaired and supposed to be delivered on Tuesday and I’d like to be able to send in the video requirement then.

Rep said she’d call back again, but seems a bit disjointed.  After all this, I’m wondering if DJI should just provide me a free year extension.

So sorry about this. Confirm that all details have been forwarded to the right team. Please sit tight when they review your case, and we'll keep follow up as well.
2018-6-16
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4

Spark has returned, although my original unit is gone, not sure if this is a brand new unit or refurbished, but either way, its working again.  Need to decide if I'm going to re-skin this one or not.  Also, was able to purchase the extended Refresh program, so all is well for now.  

Ps - Just realized I need to register this one now with the FAA...crud, $5...no bid deal, I cancelled out my prior serial number from the FAA database.

Thanks again!

2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Cravenfan Posted at 2018-6-19 11:22
Spark has returned, although my original unit is gone, not sure if this is a brand new unit or refurbished, but either way, its working again.  Need to decide if I'm going to re-skin this one or not.  Also, was able to purchase the extended Refresh program, so all is well for now.  

Ps - Just realized I need to register this one now with the FAA...crud, $5...no bid deal, I cancelled out my prior serial number from the FAA database.

Appreciate your update, we are pleased to hear everything turns out to be great, enjoy it and hope you have a good time on flying.
2018-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules