Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 pro Firmware Update - Killed Drone
1891 37 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
photo_tal
lvl.1

Hi

New to the forum, hoping to be able to contrinute more in the future, if I can eventually get my aircraft off the ground.

I received my new P4 pro yesterday. It was actually my 3rd Drone from DJI, after having received two previous ones both Dead on Arrival (dead batteries and broken Micro SD slot).

Unfortunately it looks like the firmware upadate it asked me to do has trashed the drone! It said the update was complete, but when I tried to connect the aircraft to RC it won't connect, kept alternating from Aircraft disconnected to weak transmtion signal (or no signal), the camera image was all corrupted (alternating between no picutre, grey and dark green).

I spent an hour and a half on chat with DJI support and they couldn't fix the issue.  I asked if there was a way to restore the factory defaults on the drone and RC, and was told "No" really suprised you can't do that, especially considering how ustable the firmware update seems to be!

I am based in the UK, so now I have to send this 3rd Drone back to DJI in the Netherlands for either replacement or fixing! I have had to cancel a planned photographic trip becaseu of not having a working drone.

Anyone else experienced this issue and found a fix?

2018-6-12
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

On the next one, don't update out of the box.  It should have been tested and working fine.
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-6-12 06:20
On the next one, don't update out of the box.  It should have been tested and working fine.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. It did work out of the box, but I got a warning to say that a Firmware update was required.  Should I ignore that? I thought it would be best to go to the most up to date firm ware: 01.05.0600?
2018-6-12
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You can ignore it.
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1

ok, thanks.  Just wondering what the situation is with these updates then.  If you get out of sync, by not upgrading the firm ware for a few versions, and then a useful improvement is added, do you run more of a risk of killing the drone with trying to skip firmwares and just go to the latest one? Or maybe that doesn't matter?
2018-6-12
Use props
iamjustjohn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

Was it asking you to update the drone or the battery? I bought a brand new drone and had to update my batteries but I believe the new drone had the most current Firmware right out of the box. The update took about 30 seconds for each battery.
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. Would you mind sharing it with us how did you update the firmware of your aircraft? If you did it via DJI Go 4 app, kindly refresh or re-update the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 using your computer. I will provide you the link for the software so that you can start downloading it from your computer. Just simply connect your aircraft to your computer via cable and it should automatically detect your aircraft.

For Windows:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... sistant+2+1.2.4.zip

For Mac:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... sistant+2+1.2.4.pkg
2018-6-12
Use props
TheLazyC
First Officer
Flight distance : 1256995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Many, that is some bad luck right there. I had a battery that was DOA out fo the box on my P4PV2.0 that kept me grounded. I am still waiting on the replacement from DJI, in the meantime I ordered two additional batteries. I am reading a lot of horror stories on firmware updates, I have not done any to my equipment and I am very hesitant to do so.
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-12 07:05
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your aircraft. Would you mind sharing it with us how did you update the firmware of your aircraft? If you did it via DJI Go 4 app, kindly refresh or re-update the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 using your computer. I will provide you the link for the software so that you can start downloading it from your computer. Just simply connect your aircraft to your computer via cable and it should automatically detect your aircraft.

For Windows:

Hi

I updated the firmware with DJI Go 4.  I have this evening downloaded the DJI assistant 2.  It said I needed to update the firmware, so I thought that the update hadn't happened correctly as I thought.  However, on re installing the firmware update, I have exactly the same issues!

I tried restoring factory defaults as well.  Still No Luck.

Sorry, but this is not fit for purpose. How can you send me 3 dead drones!
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-6-12 06:57
Was it asking you to update the drone or the battery? I bought a brand new drone and had to update my batteries but I believe the new drone had the most current Firmware right out of the box. The update took about 30 seconds for each battery.

It was the drone firm ware.  The batteries that were dead on arrival were completely dead, would not charge. I've tried updating the firm ware with DJI Go4 and DJI assistant.  No luck at all!
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

TheLazyC Posted at 2018-6-12 11:07
Many, that is some bad luck right there. I had a battery that was DOA out fo the box on my P4PV2.0 that kept me grounded. I am still waiting on the replacement from DJI, in the meantime I ordered two additional batteries. I am reading a lot of horror stories on firmware updates, I have not done any to my equipment and I am very hesitant to do so.

Thanks for the sympathy. Yes very bad luck - or very bad products is probably more to the point!
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

photo_tal Posted at 2018-6-12 11:21
Hi

I updated the firmware with DJI Go 4.  I have this evening downloaded the DJI assistant 2.  It said I needed to update the firmware, so I thought that the update hadn't happened correctly as I thought.  However, on re installing the firmware update, I have exactly the same issues!

Oh, and I tried manually linking the RC to the Drone, still no luck!
2018-6-12
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

Wow - you've really had some bad luck so far. Amazing that you are still calm and not agressive.
Some people posting here with similar issues come in screaming ;-)

Something is wrong with the system these days. I sometimes have a connection problem only after a battery change.
Only way I could fix it: Restart my Android device. Have you tried restarting your device?

Also - I heard different recommendations in which order to start the items. Most reliable for me is:
a) AC
b) RC while connected to the device
c) Go app

2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

photo_tal Posted at 2018-6-12 11:21
Hi

I updated the firmware with DJI Go 4.  I have this evening downloaded the DJI assistant 2.  It said I needed to update the firmware, so I thought that the update hadn't happened correctly as I thought.  However, on re installing the firmware update, I have exactly the same issues!

Thank you for your response. When you connect the aircraft to your computer does it automatically detect the aircraft and showing the unit Phantom 4 Pro? If not, what does the screen showing up? May I know as well the operating system of your computer?
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-12 11:33
Wow - you've really had some bad luck so far. Amazing that you are still calm and not agressive.
Some people posting here with similar issues come in screaming ;-)

Hi

Yes have tried restarting (in various orders). Have tried reinstalling the app. Have tried updating the Firmware via the Go 4 App. Have tried updating the firmware via DJI assistant. Have tried manually re linking the RC to the aircraft. Nothing works.  Trying to stay calm, but it's actually scaring me a bit about flying the thing if and when I finally can!
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-12 11:52
Thank you for your response. When you connect the aircraft to your computer does it automatically detect the aircraft and showing the unit Phantom 4 Pro? If not, what does the screen showing up? May I know as well the operating system of your computer?

Yes, I can see the P4P when I connect via DJI assist. I even managed to successfully calibrate the cameras and apparently update the firmware and restore the factory defaults (all said they had been sucessfully done.  I am using Mac OS 10.12.4 on my laptop (with DJI assistant installed) and the Go 4 app is installed on a n iPad mini 4 running iOS 11.4

I'm really upset about having to spend 3 weeks trying to get a working Drone! I did not expect this!
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

photo_tal Posted at 2018-6-12 12:00
Yes, I can see the P4P when I connect via DJI assist. I even managed to successfully calibrate the cameras and apparently update the firmware and restore the factory defaults (all said they had been sucessfully done.  I am using Mac OS 10.12.4 on my laptop (with DJI assistant installed) and the Go 4 app is installed on a n iPad mini 4 running iOS 11.4

I'm really upset about having to spend 3 weeks trying to get a working Drone! I did not expect this!

Sorry for this inconvenience. Just one last favor, please. If you do have a spare device that we can use to check if it will still show the same message asking you to update the firmware of your aircraft.
2018-6-12
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>

photo_tal Posted at 2018-6-12 12:00
Yes, I can see the P4P when I connect via DJI assist. I even managed to successfully calibrate the cameras and apparently update the firmware and restore the factory defaults (all said they had been sucessfully done.  I am using Mac OS 10.12.4 on my laptop (with DJI assistant installed) and the Go 4 app is installed on a n iPad mini 4 running iOS 11.4

A tip:
In the future buy always from Amazon. It is so much faster and you have 4 weeks to see if you have a working system. If not - just return it and get another.

If you send now your current drone to DJI they may send you a refurb. It is not guaranteed that your drone gets repaired.
So you may end up with a previously used drone! I would hate that.

2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-12 12:11
Sorry for this inconvenience. Just one last favor, please. If you do have a spare device that we can use to check if it will still show the same message asking you to update the firmware of your aircraft.

It doesn't ask to update it now that it is updated.  Says it has the latest version. Says same on the Go 4  App. Still have the same issues with the camera and RC not connecting.  Can't check another device I am afraid. I have just now sent the unit via UPS back to RMA for repair or replacement. I have asked that this is actioned and returned within 5 days, as I cannot afford to waste any more time on your faulty products.
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-12 12:13
A tip:
In the future buy always from Amazon. It is so much faster and you have 4 weeks to see if you have a working system. If not - just return it and get another.

Thanks for the advice.
2018-6-12
Use props
TheLazyC
First Officer
Flight distance : 1256995 ft
  • >>>
United States

A tip:

That sounds like good advice, I ordered mine from Amazon but not with that in mind...
2018-6-12
Use props
Yourdroneguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1032638 ft

A tip:

Does DJI not accept returns?  Is it only a repair or replacement policy that they have?  as well with their distributors?
2018-6-12
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>

Yourdroneguy Posted at 2018-6-12 14:22
Does DJI not accept returns?  Is it only a repair or replacement policy that they have?  as well with their distributors?

I have gone only quickly over the terms it but it looks like you have 14 days after date of delivery for a return and only if it "shows no wear or damage, unaltered from their original state, and in a condition that permits us to resell them."
Sounds to me like you must not have activated/flown the drone. Who knows, I'm not a legal expert.

Fact is (and I couldn't find that right now in writing) that DJI reserves the right in deciding which item they send you back.
Yours - repaired - or a refurb. I find that terrible.

I just imagine the car I bought half a year ago breaks down and BMW decides that repair is more costly then providing a 'refurb'.
I think that would be the moment I would go postal...

Terms:
https://store.dji.com/right-to-cancellation
2018-6-12
Use props
Yourdroneguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1032638 ft

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-12 15:35
I have gone only quickly over the terms it but it looks like you have 14 days after date of delivery for a return and only if it "shows no wear or damage, unaltered from their original state, and in a condition that permits us to resell them."
Sounds to me like you must not have activated/flown the drone. Who knows, I'm not a legal expert.

Only 14 days is what I heard from the rep I spoke with today and I looked up complaints on google and the BBB as well and all are in unison with your previous post.
Eric ... check out my thread on the issue I just had to go through and resolve ... under Phantom 4 Pro  Titled: Firmware/Calibration Issues
2018-6-12
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Apparently a little late but from what i read here all that might was needed was a update  of the RC but i can't see you have posted any firmware versions.
Next is that if the issues you was fighting was observed on your desktop and not being outside that also could have had some reasons that should have being solvable due to the many sources of interference when inside.

Best luck for a satisfying outcome.
2018-6-12
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-12 20:59
Apparently a little late but from what i read here all that might was needed was a update  of the RC but i can't see you have posted any firmware versions.
Next is that if the issues you was fighting was observed on your desktop and not being outside that also could have had some reasons that should have being solvable due to the many sources of interference when inside.

Thank you for your reply.  I'm really impressed with the level of response to my first post.When I was on the original support chat I provided them with the following screen shot, showing the versions.  They didn't say anything about needing to update the RC. The drone went back to the Netherlands this morning.  Hopefully they can sort it all out for me.  Does leave me with a dilemma because the most recent support email from them said, when I get it back I will need to update the firmware (using DJI assistant) and manually re link the RC. Which scares me a bit seeing as that's the bit that went wrong in the first place!
2018-6-12
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

photo_tal Posted at 2018-6-12 23:58
Thank you for your reply.  I'm really impressed with the level of response to my first post.When I was on the original support chat I provided them with the following screen shot, showing the versions.  They didn't say anything about needing to update the RC. The drone went back to the Netherlands this morning.  Hopefully they can sort it all out for me.  Does leave me with a dilemma because the most recent support email from them said, when I get it back I will need to update the firmware (using DJI assistant) and manually re link the RC. Which scares me a bit seeing as that's the bit that went wrong in the first place![view_image]

I am not 100% sure as i have the +RC, but i think the current version of the regular controller should be v.1.4.1 also. So it might have been the problem if you're only on v.1.3.0.

Wait and see how things work when you get your replacement, if all is working as it should you can choose not to upgrade, if you do upgrade start with the controller and then the aircraft.
2018-6-13
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

Thank you for your reply.  I'm really impressed with the level of response to my first post.When I was on the original support chat I provided them with the following screen shot, showing the versions.  They didn't say anything about needing to update the RC. The drone went back to the Netherlands this morning.  Hopefully they can sort it all out for me.  Does leave me with a dilemma because the most recent support email from them said, when I get it back I will need to update the firmware (using DJI assistant) and manually re link the RC. Which scares me a bit seeing as that's the bit that went wrong in the first place![view_image]

Btw. did you send both the RC and AC to them?
If so you might can ask them to test for the issue, upgrade the RC and test again, with a little luck you would get your own stuff back within short time then and not a possible good replacement.
2018-6-13
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>

Thank you for your reply.  I'm really impressed with the level of response to my first post.When I was on the original support chat I provided them with the following screen shot, showing the versions.  They didn't say anything about needing to update the RC. The drone went back to the Netherlands this morning.  Hopefully they can sort it all out for me.  Does leave me with a dilemma because the most recent support email from them said, when I get it back I will need to update the firmware (using DJI assistant) and manually re link the RC. Which scares me a bit seeing as that's the bit that went wrong in the first place![view_image]

Yes - you are on an older RC firmware. Strange that you were never asked by the system to update.

I sent my P4P to DJI a year ago because of that famous "tilted horizon" issue. I got my original drone back.
There was no repair log, no hint about what was 'repaired'. The tilted horizon issue was still there and got fixed later through some update.

Just around when they received the drone, a firmware upgrade for the AC was introduced.
When I received my drone I realized they haven't even upgraded to that version. I figured they basically did nothing.
It probably went from RECEIVING straight to SHIPPING. And that took them 4 weeks.

I bought a bird from Amazon to get over these 4 weeks. I returned it the day I received mine ;-)

Go4-40.jpg
2018-6-13
Use props
paul2660
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

From reading this series of posts, and looking at the final pic, I have a question.  On both of my P4 Pro's, my info screen looks the same as above.  It shows a firmware for the controller, but does not have the "check for update" box.  

On the P4 Pro Vr 2.0, you are supposed to be able to updated the controller via the micro USB port, plugging it in separately.  

How are you supposed to update the controller firmware on a P4 Pro?  

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-13
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-13 04:19
From reading this series of posts, and looking at the final pic, I have a question.  On both of my P4 Pro's, my info screen looks the same as above.  It shows a firmware for the controller, but does not have the "check for update" box.  

On the P4 Pro Vr 2.0, you are supposed to be able to updated the controller via the micro USB port, plugging it in separately.  

I believe that in the app, you long press (5-10 sec) on the three dots normally used for entering the settings and then get a FW menu for the controller.
Others will correct me if i am wrong here.
2018-6-13
Use props
DroneAcademy.Com
Flight distance : 1009829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the exact same issue.  Started off with the drone not wanting to activate, then intermittent communications and video loss.  After 'working' with DJI support for the better part of 2 weeks, I finally got them to approve a replacement.  Sent mine back and waiting to see when they actually ship one out.  This Monday marked one month since I purchased the drone and I have no clue when I'll actually have a working aircraft.  DJI support is not winning any awards this year :-(   
2018-6-13
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-13 00:18
Btw. did you send both the RC and AC to them?
If so you might can ask them to test for the issue, upgrade the RC and test again, with a little luck you would get your own stuff back within short time then and not a possible good replacement.

Thanks for your reply.  Yes it does sound like the RC firmware was out of sync. What I find really surprising is that DJI support didn't query the RC firmware version on the screen shot I sent them. At no point did they suggest updating that and I certainly didn't know that was the issue or how I would go about changing it!  I did send them the RC and AC so hopefully they will check all that as you say!
2018-6-13
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-13 04:19

"How are you supposed to update the controller firmware on a P4 Pro?"

Usually the Go4 app will tell you if there is an update. But obviously the OP never got that message.
If you have an issue you can try to do a hard reset or 'firmware refresh' what they call it:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=117333&pid=1011859&fromuid=583619

But I wouldn't do it now while you are on current firmware ;-)

2018-6-13
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-13 02:20
Yes - you are on an older RC firmware. Strange that you were never asked by the system to update.

I sent my P4P to DJI a year ago because of that famous "tilted horizon" issue. I got my original drone back.

Sorry to hear you had issues too and it's taken so long for DJI to resolve your problem too. I can't believe DJI support didn't mention anything about the RC firmware.  All they ask me to do was to to try and reconnect the RC.   It does seem odd about their policy of sending back returned units rather than repairing the original one.  My last one was a new replacement after two Dead on Arrival Drones.  I would either want them to repair the latest one or send me out another new one rather than a Refurb.  But let's see what comes back!  I've asked DJI support if they can ship the drone back to me with the latest firmware but it seems that it's unlikely they will do that which means a scary hour or so of trying to upgrade again without killing the drone! Fingers crossed.
2018-6-13
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DroneAcademy.Com Posted at 2018-6-13 09:02
I had the exact same issue.  Started off with the drone not wanting to activate, then intermittent communications and video loss.  After 'working' with DJI support for the better part of 2 weeks, I finally got them to approve a replacement.  Sent mine back and waiting to see when they actually ship one out.  This Monday marked one month since I purchased the drone and I have no clue when I'll actually have a working aircraft.  DJI support is not winning any awards this year :-(

Sorry to hear you've had the same issues as me.  DJI really need to work on the robustness and clarity  of their firmware update procedures. This should not be possible.  If the firmware falls over on install (not that mine appeared to do that as it said Update complete), or if there are incompatibilities between the RC and AC firmware, it should be able to detect that, give a warning and provide clear instructions on how the system can either be rolled back or corrected from that point onwards with minimal user intervention.  Hope you get yours back as soon as possible.  I know these aircraft are becoming very popular and DJI sales are probably doing well, but DJI have to ensure they have the support to back it up. These units aren't cheap, so the least they could do is work!
2018-6-13
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>

photo_tal Posted at 2018-6-13 10:46
Sorry to hear you had issues too and it's taken so long for DJI to resolve your problem too. I can't believe DJI support didn't mention anything about the RC firmware.  All they ask me to do was to to try and reconnect the RC.   It does seem odd about their policy of sending back returned units rather than repairing the original one.  My last one was a new replacement after two Dead on Arrival Drones.  I would either want them to repair the latest one or send me out another new one rather than a Refurb.  But let's see what comes back!  I've asked DJI support if they can ship the drone back to me with the latest firmware but it seems that it's unlikely they will do that which means a scary hour or so of trying to upgrade again without killing the drone! Fingers crossed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

For the time being (count on 4 weeks) buy one from Amazon. That'll get you over the anger :-)
2018-6-13
Use props
photo_tal
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-13 10:57
Good luck and keep us posted!

For the time being (count on 4 weeks) buy one from Amazon. That'll get you over the anger :-)

Will do, thanks.  Good advice
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules