7420 40 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Speedypickup
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372024 ft
United States

Hello all,
It has been some time since I've been on here for any problems because for the longest time I've been flying high without any issues.  However, that brings me to my reason for creating a thread here this morning....
For the past two weeks or so, I have started to have major problems with my DJI Mavic Pro disconnecting from my smartphone AND the radio controller.  Fortunately, I am VERY methodical about making sure my home point was always updated to my point of launch, so the Mavic Pro has always come back on its own and I have not lost it (yet).  But, I must say it is beyond the level of frustrating, as I have flown without issues for many months now! The following has been an almost daily occurrence for me now:

I will fire up the Mavic Pro and the Remote Controller, everything boots up fine, no issues. All firmware is updated for each battery I own, so no issues there. I'll start to fly, but within minutes, I suddenly get a "disconnected" message on my app on my smartphone, and then my RC will also disconnect, thus of course making me lose total control of the drone. As stated above, it always functions as it should by returning to my homepoint whenever it loses contact with my RC.  I have tried to locate the source of the problem, but so far without success! I thought maybe it was a bad USB-C cable, so I used a generic phone charging cord (6 feet!!) to plug in my RC to my smartphone, and it seemed to work fine. So, I assumed it was the little USB-C cord that came with the Mavic Pro. I contacted DJI direct, and they sent me a new one under warranty, so I plugged that one in, flew for approximately 10 minutes, and once again, I am getting the same disconnect error as before - and again, it's not just my smartphone disconnecting, the RC itself disconnects from the Mavic Pro too! Does anybody have ANY idea what is causing this problem?! I know it's not a distance problem, because the majority of my disconnects happen with a clear line of sight, the closest being approximately 15 feet from the drone, with no overhead wires or interference in the area. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ for my smartphone, which I recently upgraded to, but I can't imagine my smartphone would be the cause of the issue, since the RC is also disconnecting, which technically should be able to remain connected and operating the drone even without hooking up a smartphone to the RC. Anybody have any ideas?

Also, I have recently started getting a "calibrate vision sensors using a PC or Mac" error on my screen when I first start up the drone and the app. Could this be the problem? I have been unable to do this "calibration" because I don't have the DJI Assistant 2 program - I have tried downloading it numerous times but cannot get it to run....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

~Steve
2018-6-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

So like you before I used to get the exact same issues with my Samsung S8. I decided to downgrade the firmware to 0100 including the RC, did another IMU recal, Gimble recal and a compass recal. Tested the drone out and perfect had not had another disconnect since.
2018-6-12
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm willing to try most anything to get back to flying normally! How do you downgrade firmware updates?
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry that your Mavic Pro is frequently disconnecting. Let me post the link where you can get the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware for your Mavic Pro.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2018-6-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-12 09:55
Thank you for the suggestion! I'm willing to try most anything to get back to flying normally! How do you downgrade firmware updates?

You can use either dji assistant 2 or the go4 app. on the app press and hold down the 3 lines at the top right of the app and it will give you an option to update, select the drop down box and choose an older firmware example 0100, ensure your rc and drone has enough battery power and let it update. on a computer plug drone into pc with usb cable and dji assistant will pick up drone then select firmware and update
2018-6-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-6-12 10:10
Hi. I am sorry that your Mavic Pro is frequently disconnecting. Let me post the link where you can get the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware for your Mavic Pro.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads

Stephen, you should chat to your guys there, they need to fix these issues in the updates. An update is supposed to make the drone better and not get worse, it has been some time that the Pro had a good solid update out that fixes all these little bugs that is causing issues.
2018-6-12
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 653927 ft

I'm experiencing this exact same problem on my new Mavic Pro Platinum, worsening in the past week, with a particularly egregious incident yesterday at very close range. Here's a link to my detailed post and narrated video on MavicPilots.com forum:  https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... st-incident.42198/.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... est-incident.42198/
2018-6-12
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-12 13:26
I'm experiencing this exact same problem on my new Mavic Pro Platinum, worsening in the past week, with a particularly egregious incident yesterday at very close range. Here's a link to my detailed post and narrated video on MavicPilots.com forum:  https://mavicpilots.com/threads/worsening-disconnections-from-rc-video-of-latest-incident.42198/.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/worsening-disconnections-from-rc-video-of-latest-incident.42198/

I am really confused by this issue - I flew my drone the other day without a single issue, it worked perfectly - using the stock USB-c cable that was provided by DJI, and DJI's app for my Samsung 9+ phone.  Now today I went to fly again, and it only connected for maybe 2 minutes, then disconnected and would NOT connect again, no matter what I tried, even using a different USB-C cord.  SO, I dug an old cellphone out that I had (A Droid Turbo) and used that with the DJI-provided mini USB cord, and it worked great - no disconnects, etc. SOOO.... I'm thinking that perhaps this is a compatibility issue between Samsung and DJI, since I'm seeing that several other individuals are having the same problem while using Samsung products. DJI needs to come out with an update for this Samsung compatibility issue apparently....
2018-6-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

I would suggest fully deleting the Go4 app on your phone including the folders under My Files, then re-install the app and you should be fine. I was useing the latest app with My S8 and have no issues, make sure you do not use the cable supplied but another to the usb port at the bottom. Dont use the phone cable for the S8/S9 as they are slow in transfering data at high bit rates, I found this issue alot with connecting the phone to a Pc so I got myself a high speed cable froma local store and worked great
2018-6-22
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Your issues are EXACTLY same as mine.  FYI I lost my Mavic b/c of this issue...I was needing to update my homepoint and RTH altitude during a flight where I lost connection/ability to update these settings via the App.  The control lag and pixelation forced me to a location just beyond my intended point- which was no longer able to RTH.  I lost critical time trying to gain function of the Mavic which unfortunately put me into critical bat level and I had to do a forced landing. Long story short is I lost the Mavic.  I hope you have found new info on how to fix this or at least compensate for this defect in DJI's software.  9 months later and it still looks to be a major issue and DJI officially doesn't take responsibility....
2018-6-22
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-6-22 10:21
I would suggest fully deleting the Go4 app on your phone including the folders under My Files, then re-install the app and you should be fine. I was useing the latest app with My S8 and have no issues, make sure you do not use the cable supplied but another to the usb port at the bottom. Dont use the phone cable for the S8/S9 as they are slow in transfering data at high bit rates, I found this issue alot with connecting the phone to a Pc so I got myself a high speed cable froma local store and worked great

Do you have to connect your phone to the computer and access it like an external drive in order to find the "My Files" folders? I will try totally deleting the app and reinstalling. I did this once already, but I never deleted any additional files / folders so I will try that.
2018-6-23
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-23 19:01
Do you have to connect your phone to the computer and access it like an external drive in order to find the "My Files" folders? I will try totally deleting the app and reinstalling. I did this once already, but I never deleted any additional files / folders so I will try that.

No you dont. if you go to the my files section or storage you will see a folder called Dji, delete it there as well
2018-6-23
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2

@Speedypickup, want to let you know that after much troubleshooting of this problem on my new Mavic Pro Platinum the past few weeks, I ascertained my RC was faulty, overheating after a few minutes in use in mid-80s to low 90s Fahrenheit temperatures. I think the RC fan may have been defective. I exchanged my product at Costco under their satisfaction guarantee, and am having no problems since.

See https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1405344
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-25 09:02
@Speedypickup, want to let you know that after much troubleshooting of this problem on my new Mavic Pro Platinum the past few weeks, I ascertained my RC was faulty, overheating after a few minutes in use in mid-80s to low 90s Fahrenheit temperatures. I think the RC fan may have been defective. I exchanged my product at Costco under their satisfaction guarantee, and am having no problems since.

See https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=152542&page=1&extra=#pid1405344

Thank you so much for all your posts on the problems we've been having. Now that you mentioned the RC being faulty, I'm wondering if perhaps that is the problem with mine as well! I noticed several times that when I plug my smartphone into the RC, sometimes I get a "charger has a faulty connection" message on my smartphone (since my smartphone sees the RC as a charging source).  Sometimes that message would show up, and other times the message wouldn't. Regardless, though, my phone would show that the battery was charging from the RC even when I did receive that message. And, this message would appear regardless of what USB-C cord I used - not just one cord, so now it makes more sense that perhaps maybe the RC itself is going faulty! I will have to speak to DJI support and see if I can get it sent back for repair / replacement.
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-25 09:02
@Speedypickup, want to let you know that after much troubleshooting of this problem on my new Mavic Pro Platinum the past few weeks, I ascertained my RC was faulty, overheating after a few minutes in use in mid-80s to low 90s Fahrenheit temperatures. I think the RC fan may have been defective. I exchanged my product at Costco under their satisfaction guarantee, and am having no problems since.

See https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=152542&page=1&extra=#pid1405344

My only question about this possible cause of my problem is that when I switched to a different smartphone, I didn't seem to have the disconnect problem. And if it was the RC that was overheating, it would seem like the disconnect problem would occur regardless of what smartphone I used. But, that older smartphone also uses a different USB cord (micro USB as opposed to my new phone's USB-C cord) so again it leaves me having a difficult time determining if its a phone issue or RC issue. Like you, however, I can't help but think that it must be an RC problem because the RC shouldn't disconnect from the aircraft, regardless of what smartphone I'm using or if I even have a smartphone connected.
2018-6-25
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-25 09:31
My only question about this possible cause of my problem is that when I switched to a different smartphone, I didn't seem to have the disconnect problem. And if it was the RC that was overheating, it would seem like the disconnect problem would occur regardless of what smartphone I used. But, that older smartphone also uses a different USB cord (micro USB as opposed to my new phone's USB-C cord) so again it leaves me having a difficult time determining if its a phone issue or RC issue. Like you, however, I can't help but think that it must be an RC problem because the RC shouldn't disconnect from the aircraft, regardless of what smartphone I'm using or if I even have a smartphone connected.

That's my thinking, too, though perhaps there's something about smartphone variations that affects the *hardware* circuitry of the RC via USB, vs. just the *software* compatibility of the DJI Go 4 app. Seems pretty unlikely, though.

As to your success with a different smartphone, have your flights with those been as long, and in similar or higher temps?
2018-6-25
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2

P.S. By way of example, but completely speculating here, one thing that varies on current Android smartphones is whether and how they support some form of fast or "turbo" charging, via Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0, 3.0, USB-C Power Delivery, and other specs. The signaling and power draws vary for those implementations, so possibly there's some variances in their interaction with the Mavic RC, esp. considering that we observe the RC charging our Android phones. It hadn't occurred to me before to see if there's some setting to disable fast/turbo charging on my phone, to see if that made any difference.
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-25 11:47
P.S. By way of example, but completely speculating here, one thing that varies on current Android smartphones is whether and how they support some form of fast or "turbo" charging, via Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0, 3.0, USB-C Power Delivery, and other specs. The signaling and power draws vary for those implementations, so possibly there's some variances in their interaction with the Mavic RC, esp. considering that we observe the RC charging our Android phones. It hadn't occurred to me before to see if there's some setting to disable fast/turbo charging on my phone, to see if that made any difference.

When I had the disconnect problem with my newest Samsung S9+, I immediately disconnected it and plugged in my Droid Turbo, so the temperatures were the same, as far as the weather was concerned. My flight time and distance was only 150 feet and about 3 minutes before the disconnect occurred, and then when I switched to my old Droid Turbo phone, my flight distance was approximately 3,000 feet, lasting 15 minutes, before I brought it back home to charge the battery, without any disconnect issues. I never thought of what you mentioned, about the different draw requirements for different phones to suit the various fast turbo charge modes.... Food for thought! Thank you!  So in my mind, though, regardless of the phone used, the RC should NEVER disconnect from the drone itself (omitting all outside interference such as strong electrical interference from power lines, etc.). Correct?
2018-6-25
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

I had the exact same thing happen this weekend as well.  Disconnect and away she went.  Luckily, as is your case, back to the home point.  However mine would not land, just hover around 5 feet or so.  I actually posted about it last night and am now seeing multiple posts about the same thing.  I'm connecting to a Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  I'm going to try it with my ipad and see if that makes a difference - it's just too big to carry around all the time though.
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-6-25 12:22
I had the exact same thing happen this weekend as well.  Disconnect and away she went.  Luckily, as is your case, back to the home point.  However mine would not land, just hover around 5 feet or so.  I actually posted about it last night and am now seeing multiple posts about the same thing.  I'm connecting to a Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  I'm going to try it with my ipad and see if that makes a difference - it's just too big to carry around all the time though.

Definitely interested to hear how you do connected to the Ipad as opposed to the Samsung. Try it several times, at varying distances if you are able and then let us know here how you make out. If we can narrow the problem down to a Samsung issue, then DJI needs to come up with a patch for compatibility issues with Samsung units. Again, though however, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the type of phone would cause the RC to disconnect from the drone. But never know I guess!
2018-6-25
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-25 12:25
Definitely interested to hear how you do connected to the Ipad as opposed to the Samsung. Try it several times, at varying distances if you are able and then let us know here how you make out. If we can narrow the problem down to a Samsung issue, then DJI needs to come up with a patch for compatibility issues with Samsung units. Again, though however, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the type of phone would cause the RC to disconnect from the drone. But never know I guess!

I'll definitely keep you posted.  I'm hoping to try it this weekend.  I don't have very many places to fly where I'm located and it usually involves a road trip.  I may fly in my yard, but that's frowned upon (though not prohibited) in our community.

I wish you luck and let us know if you find anything out as well.

2018-6-25
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-25 12:05
When I had the disconnect problem with my newest Samsung S9+, I immediately disconnected it and plugged in my Droid Turbo, so the temperatures were the same, as far as the weather was concerned. My flight time and distance was only 150 feet and about 3 minutes before the disconnect occurred, and then when I switched to my old Droid Turbo phone, my flight distance was approximately 3,000 feet, lasting 15 minutes, before I brought it back home to charge the battery, without any disconnect issues. I never thought of what you mentioned, about the different draw requirements for different phones to suit the various fast turbo charge modes.... Food for thought! Thank you!  So in my mind, though, regardless of the phone used, the RC should NEVER disconnect from the drone itself (omitting all outside interference such as strong electrical interference from power lines, etc.). Correct?

Wow, interesting to hear the Droid Turbo worked so much better, immediately after the severe failures with S9+. That's a pretty strong correlation to smartphone compatibility. Keep flying with the DT and let us know if anything changes.

My smartphone is a current Motorola Z2 Force Edition, which I know uses a different fast charging implementation (USB-C Power Delivery) than your Droid Turbo. I wonder if that's something in common with your Samsung S9+?

Also, was either smartphone in Airplane Mode for these flights? I discovered last week that Airplane Mode substantially improves my MPP range, as others have reported here.
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-25 12:42
Wow, interesting to hear the Droid Turbo worked so much better, immediately after the severe failures with S9+. That's a pretty strong correlation to smartphone compatibility. Keep flying with the DT and let us know if anything changes.

My smartphone is a current Motorola Z2 Force Edition, which I know uses a different fast charging implementation (USB-C Power Delivery) than your Droid Turbo. I wonder if that's something in common with your Samsung S9+?

Actually, I haven't ever tried the Airplane mode... yet. I've wanted to, but to be honest, wasn't sure what would happen if my RC disconnected in the middle of flying in airplane mode (would it just go back to hovering on its own? Would it nosedive into the ground? etc. etc.)  I'm anxious to try that mode out, but I want to make sure this disconnect problem is fixed first.
2018-6-25
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-25 12:51
Actually, I haven't ever tried the Airplane mode... yet. I've wanted to, but to be honest, wasn't sure what would happen if my RC disconnected in the middle of flying in airplane mode (would it just go back to hovering on its own? Would it nosedive into the ground? etc. etc.)  I'm anxious to try that mode out, but I want to make sure this disconnect problem is fixed first.

Mavics don't depend on live data connection to orient, their flight control is all self-contained. RTH in particular is fully autonomous, for safety reasons. Even if the smartphone goes dead or disconnects physically, the RC will still pilot the AC, provided there's signal.
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-25 12:56
Mavics don't depend on live data connection to orient, their flight control is all self-contained. RTH in particular is fully autonomous, for safety reasons. Even if the smartphone goes dead or disconnects physically, the RC will still pilot the AC, provided there's signal.

Right. But that's what I mean - "provided there's signal", which unfortunately there isn't when my RC disconnects from the AC. I rarely worry about my phone disconnecting because like you said, I can pilot the Mavic just fine with the RC. But when the RC disconnects.... full panic ensues... haha.
2018-6-25
Use props
KeithLa
lvl.2

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-6-25 13:05
Right. But that's what I mean - "provided there's signal", which unfortunately there isn't when my RC disconnects from the AC. I rarely worry about my phone disconnecting because like you said, I can pilot the Mavic just fine with the RC. But when the RC disconnects.... full panic ensues... haha.

Ah, I think we've got wires crossed. I'm not referring to Fixed Wing Mode of the Mavic, but rather Airplane Mode of the smartphone, where all radios (cell, wifi bluetooth, gps) are disabled, to eliminate RF interference.
2018-6-25
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

KeithLa Posted at 2018-6-25 14:01
Ah, I think we've got wires crossed. I'm not referring to Fixed Wing Mode of the Mavic, but rather Airplane Mode of the smartphone, where all radios (cell, wifi bluetooth, gps) are disabled, to eliminate RF interference.

OOOHhhhh!!! Oh my goodness... I'm sorry, stupid me.. lol. No, I have not flown in airplane mode on the smartphone yet, but I will try that mode as well - would be a good idea anyway, simply to eliminate those occasional text messages that come in while I'm trying to fly, etc....LOL. Sorry for the mixup.
2018-6-25
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-6-25 12:34
I'll definitely keep you posted.  I'm hoping to try it this weekend.  I don't have very many places to fly where I'm located and it usually involves a road trip.  I may fly in my yard, but that's frowned upon (though not prohibited) in our community.

I wish you luck and let us know if you find anything out as well.

I was just doing a quick search on this problem and found this:
https://www.dronezon.com/diy-dro ... ct-issues-problems/

I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but since you're having the same issues as me, thought I'd throw this out there.

2018-6-26
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Speedy....  have you had any luck with the disconnect issue.  I ended up taking my Mavic back and exchanging it for another in case there was a faulty remote or something like that.

I exchanged it on Thursday of last week and flew the first time with the new Mavic tonight.  10 minutes or so in, it disconnected again.   I had actually returned close to my home position, so it went up and over about 2 feet before coming back down.  It reconnected at that point.  I landed and shut 'er down.

I was connected to my Samsung Note 5.  

I'm flying again tomorrow and will connect via the iPad and see if I have the same problem.  

Just wondering how you were coming along with the issue.

Thanks,,

Jamey
2018-7-3
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-3 16:47
Speedy....  have you had any luck with the disconnect issue.  I ended up taking my Mavic back and exchanging it for another in case there was a faulty remote or something like that.

I exchanged it on Thursday of last week and flew the first time with the new Mavic tonight.  10 minutes or so in, it disconnected again.   I had actually returned close to my home position, so it went up and over about 2 feet before coming back down.  It reconnected at that point.  I landed and shut 'er down.

Thanks for the info! Please keep us informed how you make out when you fly with the Ipad.  I took mine out and flew it just the other day, and had zero issues with it, and the ONLY thing I did different was put my phone into airplane mode. Other than that, I still used the same standard stock USB-C cable, my new Samsung S9+ phone, and like I said, it performed perfectly.  So it really has be confused as to why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. On my next day off work, I plan on taking it out and doing some extensive flying with it testing a bunch of different parameters to see if I can narrow down the problem a little better. I'll definitely keep you all posted on here of my findings, and appreciate your input as well.
2018-7-3
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-7-3 18:30
Thanks for the info! Please keep us informed how you make out when you fly with the Ipad.  I took mine out and flew it just the other day, and had zero issues with it, and the ONLY thing I did different was put my phone into airplane mode. Other than that, I still used the same standard stock USB-C cable, my new Samsung S9+ phone, and like I said, it performed perfectly.  So it really has be confused as to why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. On my next day off work, I plan on taking it out and doing some extensive flying with it testing a bunch of different parameters to see if I can narrow down the problem a little better. I'll definitely keep you all posted on here of my findings, and appreciate your input as well.

I was able to get out and fly again this morning.  I first updated my firmware again to the AC and RC using DJI Assistant2.  I took both my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and iPad Air to see which, if either, created the disconnect error.  I started with the Samsung and connected with Airplane Mode turned on.  I flew using two batteries taking both down to about 30% and no disconnect issues at all.  

It was either a firmware issue, an issue with the phone without airplane mode being turned on, or a combination of both.  Whichever is the case, it seems that turning on Airplane mode resolved the issue.  I will continue to fly in an open space to test it out before taking in the forest to fly.  Last thing I need is a Return To Home in the forest and have the drone fly into a tree.  

For now, I'm much more hopeful than I previously was.   Fingers Crossed!!!

2018-7-4
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-4 09:48
I was able to get out and fly again this morning.  I first updated my firmware again to the AC and RC using DJI Assistant2.  I took both my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and iPad Air to see which, if either, created the disconnect error.  I started with the Samsung and connected with Airplane Mode turned on.  I flew using two batteries taking both down to about 30% and no disconnect issues at all.  

It was either a firmware issue, an issue with the phone without airplane mode being turned on, or a combination of both.  Whichever is the case, it seems that turning on Airplane mode resolved the issue.  I will continue to fly in an open space to test it out before taking in the forest to fly.  Last thing I need is a Return To Home in the forest and have the drone fly into a tree.  

Awesome!! I'm glad things went smoothly for you! And, I definitely understand your hesitation to fly in the forest - this issue has definitely cramped my flying style as well for the same reason - I dont want to be under a bridge or tree branches when it suddenly disconnects and tries to return to home, only to end up crashing into whatever is above it. What makes me a bit frustrated is that for months and months I have flown this mavic pro without being in airplane mode and never had any issues whatsoever. AND I currently know personally several other individuals who own the same mavic pro and still are flying without any issues, no disconnects at all. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that a firmware update at some point would have screwed up my AC / RC, but not my buddy's! But of course, it seems to dwindle down again to the idea that I am using a Samsung phone whereas my buddy is using an iPhone. Anyway, thanks for the update - soon as I get a day off work, I'll take mine out like you did and experiment with different phones, settings, and see if we can directly pinpoint my problem. Good luck with yours and hopefully your problem is fixed now after updating the firmware and switching to airplane mode! Keep us posted
2018-7-4
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-7-4 11:28
Awesome!! I'm glad things went smoothly for you! And, I definitely understand your hesitation to fly in the forest - this issue has definitely cramped my flying style as well for the same reason - I dont want to be under a bridge or tree branches when it suddenly disconnects and tries to return to home, only to end up crashing into whatever is above it. What makes me a bit frustrated is that for months and months I have flown this mavic pro without being in airplane mode and never had any issues whatsoever. AND I currently know personally several other individuals who own the same mavic pro and still are flying without any issues, no disconnects at all. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that a firmware update at some point would have screwed up my AC / RC, but not my buddy's! But of course, it seems to dwindle down again to the idea that I am using a Samsung phone whereas my buddy is using an iPhone. Anyway, thanks for the update - soon as I get a day off work, I'll take mine out like you did and experiment with different phones, settings, and see if we can directly pinpoint my problem. Good luck with yours and hopefully your problem is fixed now after updating the firmware and switching to airplane mode! Keep us posted

I'll definitely keep you posted. Please do the same.  I'm going to use my wife's iphone as well and see what happens.   We'll get 'er worked out.....
2018-7-4
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-4 18:15
I'll definitely keep you posted. Please do the same.  I'm going to use my wife's iphone as well and see what happens.   We'll get 'er worked out.....

Ok, so this morning I only had a few minutes to do some testing, but I took out my drone after work and plugged it into my Samsung Galaxy S9+, put my phone into airplane mode, and flew the drone for a full battery's life (approximately 22-25 minutes) and did not have a single disconnect. It performed flawlessly! Unfortunately I didn't have time to test it much further than this, but, using airplane mode and all the original stock equipment that came with the drone (the USB-C cable, etc.), it performed flawlessly.  Sooo... I'm seriously wondering if maybe just keeping my phone in airplane mode when I fly is a fix for this current issue I'm having, at least until I have a chance to download the latest / downgrade the firmware? Anyway, just thought it would be of use to somebody else out there experiencing the same issues that I have flown twice now over the past few days / weeks using airplane mode and have not had a single disconnect issue at all.
2018-7-8
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-7-8 05:10
Ok, so this morning I only had a few minutes to do some testing, but I took out my drone after work and plugged it into my Samsung Galaxy S9+, put my phone into airplane mode, and flew the drone for a full battery's life (approximately 22-25 minutes) and did not have a single disconnect. It performed flawlessly! Unfortunately I didn't have time to test it much further than this, but, using airplane mode and all the original stock equipment that came with the drone (the USB-C cable, etc.), it performed flawlessly.  Sooo... I'm seriously wondering if maybe just keeping my phone in airplane mode when I fly is a fix for this current issue I'm having, at least until I have a chance to download the latest / downgrade the firmware? Anyway, just thought it would be of use to somebody else out there experiencing the same issues that I have flown twice now over the past few days / weeks using airplane mode and have not had a single disconnect issue at all.

That's great.... I think that's the fix for now.  Haven't flown again since the last post, but had the same results.  Congrats on the lack of disconnects.
2018-7-9
Use props
OkeyDokey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539012 ft
United States

My platinum started doing this a week or so ago. I just turn off the RC and turn it back on and it connects after jiggling the plug. So far been using the USB port under the phone with a charge cable, and disconnect. I'm thinking its the side plug is bad. I bought a new cable and it still disconnected, so in that circuitry on the side plug connections.
2019-7-4
Use props
OkeyDokey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539012 ft
United States

Speedypickup Posted at 2018-7-8 05:10
Ok, so this morning I only had a few minutes to do some testing, but I took out my drone after work and plugged it into my Samsung Galaxy S9+, put my phone into airplane mode, and flew the drone for a full battery's life (approximately 22-25 minutes) and did not have a single disconnect. It performed flawlessly! Unfortunately I didn't have time to test it much further than this, but, using airplane mode and all the original stock equipment that came with the drone (the USB-C cable, etc.), it performed flawlessly.  Sooo... I'm seriously wondering if maybe just keeping my phone in airplane mode when I fly is a fix for this current issue I'm having, at least until I have a chance to download the latest / downgrade the firmware? Anyway, just thought it would be of use to somebody else out there experiencing the same issues that I have flown twice now over the past few days / weeks using airplane mode and have not had a single disconnect issue at all.

Was it a permanent fix?
2019-7-5
Use props
BogdanD
lvl.1

Romania

Il happened to me a year ago and 'cause of that I've damaged the drone: was hovering at about 4meters, about 5meters away from the homepoint, lost connection (son no control over it) and it tried to go up to ~100meters to RTH, but there were some branches above it so it just hit the branches and fall (broken arm, broken gimball, cracked battery). Changed it for a new one (not warranty, but Care Refresh), and 2 days ago happened again (this time the path was clear). It happened at 4 flights out of 5.
Everythning is up to date, the cable is from a GoPro (USB-C), phone is Galaxy S8.
2020-1-20
Use props
Speedypickup
lvl.2
United States

BogdanD Posted at 1-20 04:18
Il happened to me a year ago and 'cause of that I've damaged the drone: was hovering at about 4meters, about 5meters away from the homepoint, lost connection (son no control over it) and it tried to go up to ~100meters to RTH, but there were some branches above it so it just hit the branches and fall (broken arm, broken gimball, cracked battery). Changed it for a new one (not warranty, but Care Refresh), and 2 days ago happened again (this time the path was clear). It happened at 4 flights out of 5.
Everythning is up to date, the cable is from a GoPro (USB-C), phone is Galaxy S8.

sorry to hear of the problem's you've been having! So far, [knock on wood] I have not had the issue come back. Have you been flying in airplane mode on your phone? Putting my phone into airplane mode seems to have corrected my issue, whatever it may have been.
2020-1-20
Use props
BogdanD
lvl.1

Romania

Speedypickup Posted at 1-20 05:46
sorry to hear of the problem's you've been having! So far, [knock on wood] I have not had the issue come back. Have you been flying in airplane mode on your phone? Putting my phone into airplane mode seems to have corrected my issue, whatever it may have been.

I'll try that next time. Right now I gave the Mavic to a friend (is more convenient for a trip) and I use his Phantom 4.
2020-1-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules