Radar (circle w/ red arrow in it) stops moving when drone connects
962 5 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tirpoverzero
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've seen people post with many similar issues, but I haven't found this exact one yet.

Mavic Pro Platinum
Latest iOS app update was published on June 8 2018, and the latest firmware on the drone, controller, and battery.

When I start up the DJI GO4 app on my iPadMini 4, I can see the radar circle (with the (H) in the middle and the red arrow), and the circle moves live as I rotate the iPad around.  Great!  So the iPad's compass seems to be doing fine.

But as soon as I turn on the Mavic and the app/remote connects to the drone, the radar circle stops responding to rotations of the remote/iPad.  So the orientation of the radar circle reacts correctly until I connect the mavic, at which point the orientation of the circle stops updating, and remains fixed, always with N pointing exactly 90° to the right.  The radar view updates the drone's disatance from me correctly within the circle while I fly, but the orientation of that whole circle and its contents stops updating as I rotate the controller/iPad.  

Any suggestions?  I don't think there's a problem with the iPad's compass.  And the mavic's compass seems to be fine as well (it doesn't suggest recalibration).  It seems like an app bug, or possibly some strange setting?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2018-6-12
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

OK...I had the exact same problem.Put a compass App on the ipad to make sure its working ok before flight. Make sure the home button for the Ipad mini is on the LEFT hand side.Start RC first then the Mavic and wait until you can see on the RC its says GPS ready or something like that and then plug in the lead to the ipad and open the App...should be good. i think the controller interferes with the ipad compass if the ipad minis home button is on the right...make sure its on the left.
2018-6-12
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Or does the drone control the compass on the phone?
I believe the compass in the drone takes over when properly connected.
Let me know why that is wrong, if you think it is?
2018-6-12
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-6-12 14:05
Or does the drone control the compass on the phone?
I believe the compass in the drone takes over when properly connected.
Let me know why that is wrong, if you think it is?

Its a weird one. I had the same...compass on ipad mini was good but the moment I opened the app the radar would turn about 45 degrees left or right OR it would work and then stick in one place. I only figured it out when I went flying once and the radar worked perfectly and then I figured it out that I had the Ipad mini turned the other way with the home button on the left hand side. Next flight I did I deliberately placed the Ipad mini with the home button to the right hand side of the controller and had problems with the radar again. Obviously being so close to the controller it was interfering with sensors in the ipad mini maybe or small fault with ipad mini???.Anyway...Ipad mini with home button on left hand side works for me..radar is spot on. I liked your post yesterday about going into phone menu and dialing in the *#0*# to remedy compass probs....I used to use that on my old S4. I usually use the new Ipad 6th generation now with my MPP as my eyes arent as good as they used to be......too much careless welding in my younger days.
2018-6-12
Use props
tirpoverzero
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I did more testing:

The radar actually works fine after connecting to the mavic, until the mavic gets GPS lock.  Then it immediately locks into place with North to the right.  If the mavic moves inside and switches back to ATTI mode, the radar unlocks and starts working again.  Then when it regains GPS, radar lock again.

It also doesn't matter which way the iPad is oriented.  It still works correctly when it's not connected to a mavic in GPS mode.

Any ideas why the Mavic being in GPS mode would lock the radar to the right?

Thanks!
2018-6-14
Use props
tdcsf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100833 ft
United States

OMG OMG OMG.

I FOUND THE ISSUE.

Under Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services (very bottom) there is a setting switch for Compass Calibration. This is used to allow the compass to calibrate based on the device location.  Turning this off will prevent the radar from updating the device compass once GPS is locked.  Presumably, there is some code path change that DJI is using under that mode.  Turning this on will fix the issue.  I've tested on my phone and iPad. I don't see any reason why one wouldn't want the setting on in any case.  Very happy.

https://stackoverflow.com/questi ... using-core-location
2018-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules