DJI Drone as an Ordinary Camera (connected to Video Switcher)
3122 13 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Edbertjunior
lvl.1

Indonesia

Dear All
I plan to buy a DJI Phantom 4 + HDMI Module accessory.

If it is not flying, I plan to use my drone as an ordinary camera connected to the video switcher (e.g. Roland V1HD) via HDMI.

After doing research and contacted DJI team, I am assured that HDMI output is possible.

Before I buy, I have some more questions to confirm:

• Is it possible to have DJI Phantom turned on for like 2-3 hours (it's the duration of my weekly event)? That means the charger must be connected during the event.
  • Is it possible to turn on only the camera without turning on the propeller?

Sorry if this question looks silly to you I am really new to drone and cannot wait to have one.

If you have any other recommendation, feel free to share. Thank you your answers.

2018-6-12
Use props
Edbertjunior
lvl.1

Indonesia

If you have some experience using DJI drones as a normal camera, please kindly share
2018-6-12
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

1. You need to remove the battery to charge it, thus you can't charge while on.  The batteries contain a lot of power though so will last a fair time if not flying. Not sure about the 3 hours but I would be surprised if it didn't.

2. Yes you can just power on the aircraft without starting the motors.

Note that when recording it has a maximum file size, nearly 10 minutes, when the file becomes too big it starts another and looses about 1 second in the process.  I guess that is not a problem if you are recording the HDMI.   I've never used HDMI except the HDMI output from my tablet.

If you want to use the gimbal, only the pitch control will work when on the ground.

All other camera functions work normally.

2018-6-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes you should be able to do that.
But it won't record sound (maybe you already know that).
2018-6-13
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Beside what already said you might would consider to set up a fan that blows the heat away from the aircraft while just standing there, 2-3 hours should be no problem specially if using one of the High Capacity batteries.
If you look around  you'll see people using the Phantoms as steadycams by mounting items to carrying it as hanging or standing, this showing that recording without flying is no problem.

One thing to be aware off before setting on this particular solution is that the cam only have a little horizontal movement so don't expect the intelligent modes (ex. active track) to be working without flying. Also some of the modes would require being at a minimum height, when motors are off the height equals zero. Again normal Photo and movie shooting is no problem.

Enjoy
2018-6-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. Yes, HDMI output module is compatible with your Phantom 4. You can also turn on your aircraft without turning on the motor. This should not be a problem. Though it is not possible to charge the aircraft's battery while it is in used. Since you  needed to take it out from the aircraft in order for you to charge it. Based on the specs, more or less the battery will last up to 81.32 wh. Good luck!

2018-6-13
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

Edbertjunior Posted at 2018-6-12 23:17
If you have some experience using DJI drones as a normal camera, please kindly share

If you are using the drone as a camera and are recording on another device from the hdmi out through the video switcher, this might not be the best idea quality wise. The hdmi module is on the controller itself and phantom 4 drones as far as i am aware only have the capability of sending 720p back to the controller to feed the hdmi. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.
2018-6-13
Use props
Edbertjunior
lvl.1

Netherlands

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-6-13 21:38
If you are using the drone as a camera and are recording on another device from the hdmi out through the video switcher, this might not be the best idea quality wise. The hdmi module is on the controller itself and phantom 4 drones as far as i am aware only have the capability of sending 720p back to the controller to feed the hdmi. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Wow.. what a good concern about this. Yes please kindly anybody advise for this. Maybe @DJI Natalia have some insight.
2018-6-13
Use props
Edbertjunior
lvl.1

Netherlands

Thanks for all the answers given here. Here are another questions based on your answers:

1. Can I use the pan, tilt function on this condition?
As @Nigel_stated: "If you want to use the gimbal, only the pitch control will work when on the ground."
2. Yea I am not recording any video or sound. I record it using my recorder connected to my video switcher (via HDMI). How many hours will the battery last on that usage?

3. I know this is little bit silly, but I've never use a drone before : Can Phantom camera zoom?

Thanks for all great answers
2018-6-13
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

1. You can tilt the camera from straight down (-90°) to 30° up, you pan by yaw of the aircraft so only when flying.
2. 4 hours+ i would say, never tried
3. No

It is correct that the HDMI add-on module would output 720p,, using a GL300E controller with builtin display and HDMI you can output 1024p. The CrystalSky devices has HDMI out with full HD i believe but your better looking up some specs and using this would require to have yet a device running where what you ask could be done without a device when things has been setup.
2018-6-14
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Edbertjunior Posted at 2018-6-13 23:32
Thanks for all the answers given here. Here are another questions based on your answers:

1. Can I use the pan, tilt function on this condition?

1. Pan will not work on the ground, in the air pan works by rotating the whole aircraft.  Tilt will work, but you have no control of tilt on the Phantom, it is always horizontal.  Pitch works from -90 degrees (straight down) to +30 degrees (looking up at the propeller tips if they are fitted).

2. You may be limited by the controller battery, I expect that to last about 3 hours, but maybe that can be charged while in use?
2018-6-14
Use props
Edbertjunior
lvl.1

Netherlands

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-14 01:22
1. Pan will not work on the ground, in the air pan works by rotating the whole aircraft.  Tilt will work, but you have no control of tilt on the Phantom, it is always horizontal.  Pitch works from -90 degrees (straight down) to +30 degrees (looking up at the propeller tips if they are fitted).

2. You may be limited by the controller battery, I expect that to last about 3 hours, but maybe that can be charged while in use?

@DJI Natalia said:
Though it is not possible to charge the aircraft's battery while it is in used. Since you  needed to take it out from the aircraft in order for you to charge it

I personally hope it can be charged while the battery is in use

2018-6-14
Use props
Edbertjunior
lvl.1

Netherlands

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-14 00:40
1. You can tilt the camera from straight down (-90°) to 30° up, you pan by yaw of the aircraft so only when flying.
2. 4 hours+ i would say, never tried
3. No

Thanks for your reply.
For the resolution I will ask the technical support department of DJI and will let you know

Thanks!
2018-6-14
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Edbertjunior Posted at 2018-6-14 03:24
Thanks for your reply.
For the resolution I will ask the technical support department of DJI and will let you know

Although there is no zoom in 4K mode, if used in 1080 resolution then there is digital zoom.  Don't know if the HDMI zooms but I guess so, given that the sensor is a 4K sensor 2x zoom would give native resolution.
2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules