Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Basic question about shutter speed vs frame rate in Premiere (sho...
528 2 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thefalloftroy
Canada

Hi everyone, I have what I'm sure is a simple question but I just haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere.

I  have been reading that when filming, a good practice is to try to set  the shutter speed value at twice the frame rate to get the most  natural-looking footage. I know there are lots of situations where you  should not follow this rule, but let's just assume I want to stick to  this approach at the moment.

My  question is: how does this work when you're filming in a higher FPS  with the intention of slowing that footage down later in post?

For  example, I currently do a lot of shooting in 60fps on both my drone and  my GoPro because I really like being able to slow 60fps down to 24fps  for a bit of slow motion. But when I do this, should I be trying to set  my shutter speed to 1/120 because I'm shooting at 60fps, or should I be  trying to set my shutter speed to 1/50-1/60 if I know I'm going to slow  it down to 24fps in Premiere later?

2018-6-13
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

It should be 1/120, and then when you slow it down to 30fps it will become 1/60th or for 25fps it will become 1/50th.

The purpose is to create some motion blur between frames so that you don't see the image moving in steps.  If you are keeping 60fps then you don't really need to bother because our eyes are not fast enough to see steps anyway at 60fps, but for slowing down to 30 it is worth doing.
2018-6-13
Use props
thefalloftroy
Canada

Thank you very much for your reply Nigel, this is exactly what I needed!
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules