I haven't updated my P3P in a couple years... Should I do it?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

It's been over 2 years since I've put any updates to the drone, radio or batteries.

I fly my bird a couple times a month and I never had any big issues.

I did do a follow me in my truck yesterday and noticed that it didn't constantly

update my home location every few seconds like it did years ago. It followed me and I got out of range and it flew 3

miles back to start point.

I've been putting off updating it because I remember a lot of people having issues when updating to the latest firmwares.

So, should I update and if so, is there a good youtube video that could simplify the process?

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggestions.

2018-6-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi and thank you for reaching DJI forum, if you haven't updated the firmware for the past  2 years most likely you will be getting errors and we want to avoid any incidents to happen on your aircraft. Here's the official DJI youtube video on how to update the firmware.
2018-6-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Re "updating the home location", I think you're confused with the P2 series.  My understanding is the P3P doesn't update to the pilot's location automatically.  It has to be done manually.  

What AC FW are you on?  
2018-6-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Like you, I have not updated my P3P since the day I bought it, and I am not missing out on any features. Quite the opposite, I don't have to deal with No Fly Zones, which is a plus. My advice would be to leave it as it is. And as Mark says, it does not automatically update the home position.
2018-6-13
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

It has been said before, "If it is not broke, then don't fix it".

2018-6-13
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Do not upgrade anything, not even your app!
In a not so distant future your equipment would grow in value if taken care off, one of the last free drones.

Live up to your profile name and stay in control.
2018-6-13
Use props
w1r3d
lvl.2

Australia

I am in the same boat, where my P3A flies like a dream but is not up to date with FW.
I would also suspect my RC to be the same.
I want to have it up to date but are put off with all the issues people have updating
2018-6-13
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

What version of firmware do you have on your aircraft? When I first got my P3A the firmware version was 1.5.30+. It seems like it worked pretty well. Some times now I think maybe I should have left it as it was.

2018-6-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Air/America Posted at 2018-6-14 04:47
What version of firmware do you have on your aircraft? When I first got my P3A the firmware version was 1.5.30+. It seems like it worked pretty well. Some times now I think maybe I should have left it as it was.

That's what I have now.  I've read there's a risk of the battery shutting itself off during flight if it's cold (e.g. winter flying), and that was corrected in forward firmwares.  But provided you are sure your battery starts a flight warm, the risk is averted.  My P3P is perfect and I don't want to mess with it.  
2018-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules