3749 11 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Learn from my experience. I pushed the battery too far and had to improvise a quick landing. I stayed calm and it all worked out in the end.
0:57 Music and Flight
2:52 My Emergency Landing Experience
8:36 9 Tips

2018-6-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good thing you have a lot of flying experience and remained calm!
2018-6-13
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-13 22:36
Good thing you have a lot of flying experience and remained calm!

Yes, it all worked out. Someone commented on the youtube video and said that after 25% battery the Mavic Air slows down to conserve battery. Is this why my return speed was half of my away speed, or just a theory? Not sure, I'm going to do some testing with it today.
2018-6-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well thought out vid mate   
2018-6-14
Use props
Jmathews77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

Nice job staying calm and landing safely.  Everyone should definitely follow your tips.  I've only been flying for a few weeks, and I've gone through dozens of flyaway and crash videos where it was apparent that the operators were not staying calm, or thinking rationally.  Had they deployed some of these tips, they would have been far better off.  I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that if they are in trouble, they should just continue to try their hardest to return the drone back to where they took off.  If I've learned anything, it's that in cases like this, it's more important to look for a safe landing spot than it is to try to return home.  Look at airline pilots that land on highways, fields, or rivers, even when they are not technically that far from an airport.  They realize at some point that they will not make it to a runway, so their main objective at that point it trying to find a safe spot to land or crash land that will put the least amount of people on the ground in danger.  That's one sign of a good pilot.  I've learned some valuable lessons here and I'm pretty sure if I find myself in the same situation, I'll be able to use these tips for a safe landing.  Thanks!
2018-6-14
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jmathews77 Posted at 2018-6-14 10:47
Nice job staying calm and landing safely.  Everyone should definitely follow your tips.  I've only been flying for a few weeks, and I've gone through dozens of flyaway and crash videos where it was apparent that the operators were not staying calm, or thinking rationally.  Had they deployed some of these tips, they would have been far better off.  I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that if they are in trouble, they should just continue to try their hardest to return the drone back to where they took off.  If I've learned anything, it's that in cases like this, it's more important to look for a safe landing spot than it is to try to return home.  Look at airline pilots that land on highways, fields, or rivers, even when they are not technically that far from an airport.  They realize at some point that they will not make it to a runway, so their main objective at that point it trying to find a safe spot to land or crash land that will put the least amount of people on the ground in danger.  That's one sign of a good pilot.  I've learned some valuable lessons here and I'm pretty sure if I find myself in the same situation, I'll be able to use these tips for a safe landing.  Thanks!

That's a great point about Airline pilots. I never thought of that in connection to drone flying, but it fits perfectly. I'm almost 100% sure that it would have gone in the river if I had tried to fly it all the way back to me.
2018-6-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 2018-6-14 10:34
Yes, it all worked out. Someone commented on the youtube video and said that after 25% battery the Mavic Air slows down to conserve battery. Is this why my return speed was half of my away speed, or just a theory? Not sure, I'm going to do some testing with it today.

Might be true indeed.
Careful testing that out!
2018-6-14
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-14 10:54
Might be true indeed.
Careful testing that out!

Well I'd keep it close to me and get the battery low and then try to fly it fast. Shouldn't be too dangerous. HAHA! famous last words
2018-6-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 2018-6-14 11:03
Well I'd keep it close to me and get the battery low and then try to fly it fast. Shouldn't be too dangerous. HAHA!  famous last words

Lets hope not
Your big moment still has to come!
2018-6-14
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Happy to know that you landed safely, thanks for the tips!
2018-7-7
Use props
jcw2320000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2421089 ft
United States

I would be very carfell how much battery and, time you have left and know your area Becaus I experienced a bad mistace 8/9/19 my fault for makeing a few mistakes I  was sending my drone back to me  but I had low battery and, i was to high whith i think ran the battery to fast and , whent in got to hot lost the signal messet  my ipad got way over heated
2019-8-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jcw2320000 Posted at 8-10 03:05
I would be very carfell how much battery and, time you have left and know your area Becaus I experienced a bad mistace 8/9/19 my fault for makeing a few mistakes I  was sending my drone back to me  but I had low battery and, i was to high whith i think ran the battery to fast and , whent in got to hot lost the signal messet  my ipad got way over heated

yes, the Mavic Air isn't full functioning at lower battery percentages like the Spark is. Better to just land where you're at than to attempt a dangerous landing.
2019-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules