Compatibility list incorrect (Zero Nikon Support)
123Next >
26708 86 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thephilz
lvl.2
United States

Update on D500 (It's slightly more useable):
  • It'll actually go into live view now but it's stuck to the one you select (video or photo)
  • Rec button on gimbal now works, BUT it always focuses before, no way to just record. It's kind of useless unless camera is set to manual focus (which prevents pull-focus)
  • Pull-focus works, but is jittery, it's not smooth, and it seems to be large 'steps' nowhere near the fidelity of other tethering apps. Lens dependent on how bad it's impacted–
  • Pull-Focus requires camera set to AF, but if set to AF, record button on gimbal ALWAYS refocuses
  • No focus point selection, I also have no idea what point it's using, might be just full-auto
  • Camera still locked out from any on camera control other than the live view switch
  • App can't flip between photo/video (might be a hardware limitation of Nikon cameras)
  • The display isn't your normal live-view display, shows no useable info
  • -- Can't monitor audio levles
  • -- Can't change a single setting (Aperture, Shutter, ISO, ETC; all have to be pre-set and 'right' before you plug the cable in...!)
  • -- Can't review anything in playback (can't actually enter playback mode)
  • -- Can't change any video settings or audio settings from the quick menu (Again, camera unresponsive to buttons)

Sooooo.... sure, it kind of works, but actual usability for video it's not any better than it was before. It's simply a great gimbal, no need to hook the cable, and feel free to remove the pull-focus. Which defeats the purpose of spending the cost on it when their are cheaper alternatives.

What I don't understand is the inability to work with DJI / their engineering team on how this needs to work to be useable; they need to work with the professionals that actually are going to be using it. It's what I do with both RED (we've even had their guys fly out and join us on shoots) & a lesser extent Nikon. I get no-where with Email support, they even said I could return it if it was within 14 days as if I got it from DJI (but I ordered via B&H, they know this as required proof of purchase), it's a bit, sad.

Needless to say I'll be putting together a comprehensize review and putting it up on our groups YouTube. This is totatlly inexcusable, and everyone needs to know.
2018-7-2
Use props
klaus44
lvl.1
Singapore

thephilz Posted at 2018-7-2 08:10
Update on D500 (It's slightly more useable):
  • It'll actually go into live view now but it's stuck to the one you select (video or photo)
  • Rec button on gimbal now works, BUT it always focuses before, no way to just record. It's kind of useless unless camera is set to manual focus (which prevents pull-focus)

• same behaviour on the D850.

I compared the "PC mode" DJI is using (with the "loading" indicator) with the tethered shooting of Capture One.
    I noticed the following differences:
    Capture one switches the camera into a mode where "PC" is displayed instead of the ISO value, all settings are shown and the controls are still functional on the camera but live view is disabled.
    When live view is switched on in Capture one the camera changes rapidly between the PC display which DJI is using (with the loading indicator) and the PC display in the ISO value where the controls are functional.
    I wonder if it's a Nikon limitation and Capture One uses a trick to quickly switch between the two modes to enable live view and keep the controls usable.
    Capture one is known for it's good tethering, which makes me a bit worried that DJI will not able to provide a similar functionality.

For me the most limiting part is that I can't see/change the settings and the start/stop button triggers the auto focus.
    2018-7-6
    Use props
    thephilz
    lvl.2
    United States

klaus44 Posted at 2018-7-6 07:04
    same behaviour on the D850.

I compared the "PC mode" DJI is using (with the "loading" indicator) with the tethered shooting of Capture One.

The auto-focus is frustrating me to no end. It kills what little support we have as triggering record triggers AF, which then kills whatever focus we did have (and you can't select the AF point).

Yet to have the pull-focus work, you have to have AF engaged on the camera...

Total Catch-22
    2018-7-6
    Use props
    1A2F
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 1045643 ft
    Argentina

thephilz Posted at 2018-7-2 08:10
    Update on D500 (It's slightly more useable):
  • It'll actually go into live view now but it's stuck to the one you select (video or photo)
  • Rec button on gimbal now works, BUT it always focuses before, no way to just record. It's kind of useless unless camera is set to manual focus (which prevents pull-focus)

• check the last compatibility list on dji website

The D500 is'nt appears on the list.

https://docs.djicdn.com/Products ... ty+List-6.27-EN.pdf
    2018-7-7
    Use props
    djiuser_VChtB8qIqyX4
    New

1A2F Posted at 2018-7-7 11:49
    check the last compatibility list on dji website

The D500 is'nt appears on the list.

It was on the list when we all pre-ordered the device.. That's the whole issue here.
    2018-7-8
    Use props
    thephilz
    lvl.2
    United States

1A2F Posted at 2018-7-7 11:49
    check the last compatibility list on dji website

The D500 is'nt appears on the list.

If you actually pay attention to this thread, DJI changed the list after it was already shipping and in customers hands for after a month. Beyond any return window–meanwhile they promised it would be fine and working in the next firmware update.

It was not, and still is not, working as sold to us that purchased/pre-ordered it. Total fraud / lying to their customers. My creative collective's review is in work, will be up soon–
    2018-7-9
    Use props
    1A2F
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 1045643 ft
    Argentina

New compatibilty list

Link PDF : https://docs.djicdn.com/Products ... ility+List+0719.pdf
    2018-8-1
    Use props
    Swissbuddy
    lvl.1

I tried to connect the Ronin-S to my Nikon D750. But the MCC-B and the MCC-C cable don't fit with the D750. The manual says I need a MCC cable. Which one? Or is this information not correct? - I found a newer compatibility list where only the Nikon D5 and D850 are listed as supported. - The issue with the D750 cannot be fixed with firmware update. The right cable is missing for the D750!!
    2018-8-6
    Use props
    Phatm8
    lvl.2

I wish I could get as far as plugging a cable in to my Nikon cameras to find out it doesn’t work. The MCC C and the MCC B cables do not fit into any port on my D7100 , D4 or D4S...all originally on the compatible camera list. So, I have a Ronin S that I can not use for the purpose it was purchased. Are there any more cable types that will be released to fit these bodies? It’s all very well updating firmware to resolve issues, but if the enclosed cables don’t fit camera bodies,  then what hope is there to use the functionality of the gimble?
    2018-8-9
    Use props
    Dani Bar
    lvl.3
    Italy

fanse42ceb4f Posted at 2018-7-1 18:23
    After installing the latest firmware version, the D800 does work to a certain extent.  With the Live View selector on video, I am able to take videos or photos with full control of the gimbal, using the app.  One major problem though - NO LIVE VIEW!  It makes little sense to purchase a gimbal designed for a clear view of the live view screen, if nothing shows on that screen. C'mon DJI - get this fixed.  I am in full agreement with the claims of false advertising.  It is pretty clear nobody tested all of the cameras advertised as compatible.

Totally agree with you.
    2018-8-9
    Use props
    fans238b87f9
    lvl.2

I have the D7200 but it requires a mini-usb cable which is not provided with Ronin-S.  How did you connect the D7200?  Is there a DJI cable I need to buy? Adapter work?
    2018-8-13
    Use props
    fansc3e85909
    lvl.2
    United States

No live view on the D810 either.
    2018-8-13
    Use props
    dselder1962
    lvl.2
    Australia

I have the D7500 and everything is working: panorama, timelapse etc, and push to record in video mode, as well as the Focus wheel: see my post here
    https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 419&pid=1512070
    2018-8-14
    Use props
    Volg.in
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 8143 ft
    United Arab Emirates

DJI any updates about Nikon ?
    2018-8-29
    Use props
    fans3f72acaf
    lvl.1
    United Kingdom

Just ordered the Ronin S to use with a D810 based on the camera compatibility list on the DJI website.  This thread is very worrying, I don't understand why DJI are prepared to disapoint their customers by releasing inaccurate specifications.   I just hope they can fulfil their promises and provide a fit for purpose and as advertised product.
    2018-9-17
    Use props
    Volg.in
    lvl.4
    United Arab Emirates

Hey ! DJI any updates about Nikon ?
    2018-9-17
    Use props
    ianperez
    lvl.2
    Philippines

DJI when are you gonna have updates for NIKON???
    2018-9-21
    Use props
    __.HW.__
    lvl.2
    Netherlands

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-20 21:00
    When plugging a USB cable into a Nikon camera,  some of them turn off live view. This is a Nikon issue and nothing DJI can do.

Currently, the Nikon control is being debugged. We've found the issue with the control system pinging the camera and then deciphering the signal being sent back improperly.

About the live view problem we know it's ab Nikon issue, but we as a customer have no influence on nikon to change that. Maybe you as DJI have more influence and connections with the right people at Nikon to change confince them to change that????
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

DJI at the rate you are releasing updates can we expect the original list of supported cameras to be supported by 2023?
    2018-10-20
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

another month of waiting and DJI releases product specs with no updates.  have you considered making this opensource to at least get things moving? to a lot of us this turned out to be a very expensive selfie stick
    2018-10-25
    Use props
    hazz
    lvl.2

Australia

on behalf of everyone who purchased this terrible product because of you blatantly false advertising we want a refund
    2018-10-26
    Use props
    anubhavdeka
    lvl.1
    India

I bought the camera on the basis of their published camera compatibility list and it listed my cameras as both listed, working and all of my lenses too. I got my Ronin yesterday, and I at first, found out none of the cables work. I am open to getting a compatible cable, but now I go see the list and all of the cameras in the supported area are now removed? What the hell, DJI? Why would you falsely advertise this? Why would you not test the products and even if you did not test them, why did you list all those models in the first few months? First you do not provide the cables, and now you essentially made an expensive selfie stick? What do I do with this now? I cannot return it, and I have no cameras to use it with? You could be pulled into court for this, I am sure.

Are you even going to acknowledge this issue, other than "we are working on it"? What are we supposed to do now? Throw the thing away? DO please tell DJI, I am very interested in your response.
    2018-11-3
    Use props
    Dnorton
    lvl.2
    Ireland

anubhavdeka Posted at 11-3 22:40
    I bought the camera on the basis of their published camera compatibility list and it listed my cameras as both listed, working and all of my lenses too. I got my Ronin yesterday, and I at first, found out none of the cables work. I am open to getting a compatible cable, but now I go see the list and all of the cameras in the supported area are now removed? What the hell, DJI? Why would you falsely advertise this? Why would you not test the products and even if you did not test them, why did you list all those models in the first few months? First you do not provide the cables, and now you essentially made an expensive selfie stick? What do I do with this now? I cannot return it, and I have no cameras to use it with? You could be pulled into court for this, I am sure.

Are you even going to acknowledge this issue, other than "we are working on it"? What are we supposed to do now? Throw the thing away? DO please tell DJI, I am very interested in your response.

I have this ronin s so many months now and have only used it twice because of this nikon issue. I really feel like i have wasted my money after being falsely told by DJI's own spec sheet's that it would work. At this stage the answer "we are working on it" is obviously not producing any results or we would have seen an update sooner. I have wasted a lot of good money.

Maybe I should take legal action as there has obviously been a breach of contract on behalf of DJI .

I am feeling very disappointed because I now feel I can never trust this company again. The product if it did as advertised when bought would be superb but right now its like having bought a car with no steering wheel even though the brochure assured there was one.

This is going on way too long not to be fixed. Consumer law has been breached.
    2018-11-6
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

It's starting to feel like support for z6 and z7 would come first before they even consider starting to work on the previous models they originally promised.
    2018-11-6
    Use props
    Dnorton
    lvl.2
    Ireland

ian kulit Posted at 11-6 10:32
    It's starting to feel like support for z6 and z7 would come first before they even consider starting to work on the previous models they originally promised.

Ive no issue with them never supporting the older Nikon's had they not originally stated that some of these cameras were compatible and the Ronin S was then bought on good faith because  a reputable company such as DJI would not tell a bare faced lie. the fact is they new that these cameras would not work with the Ronin S but put in print that they were. The case is black and white.
    Our engineers are working on the solutions is not an excuse. An apology and a grey promise of possible compatibility does nothing for somebody who has bought a product that simply can not do what it has been purchased for.
    If my protest puts me on a black list for DJI tasting, i really dont care as the company has proved itself untrustworthy to its customers, so why would I ever want to do business with them again.
    Imagine i had rented a product that would do what i needed until the Ronin S was successfully updated, that would be a quiet a large bill at this stage.
    2018-11-6
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

Wow! i knew it!  now z7's now supported??? what about the previous list dji? any plans on working on that?????
    2018-11-20
    Use props
    AGLyons
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 47549 ft
    Canada

In addition to the total lack of Nikon control. I'd love it if they themselves actually tried to balance a d810 with a 24-70 2.8.

I've been fighting with this thing for an hour. Yaw anyways fails no matter what I do.  That and in order to get front/back balance. The to of the camera hits the back motor which writes off looking up and inception shots.
    2018-11-20
    Use props
    ajoe
    New

United States

I was about to purchase a Ronin-s until I read that all of my Nikon cameras are not supported... I own a D810, D800, D7100.

In addition to flying my cameras I'd like (at minimum) the ability to start/stop video recording and the ability to pull focus while live view is available.

I can't justify the cost without the ability to do that. If there where some glimmer of hope then I'd say "take my money DJI" but until then no way...
    2018-12-22
    Use props
    rbycapri
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 1002753 ft
    Italy

any updates?
    2018-12-24
    Use props
    Dansss
    lvl.4
    Israel

DJI, Do you have any update about Nikon? I use the D7200 and i can only take still photos but thats it. Please respond
    2018-12-25
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

Half a year since release date and still zero support for most of the nikon cameras that were listed as supported initially, what's up DJI?  Are you ever gonna work on this?
    2018-12-29
    Use props
    Volg.in
    lvl.4
    United Arab Emirates

ian kulit Posted at 12-29 21:51
    Half a year since release date and still zero support for most of the nikon cameras that were listed as supported initially, what's up DJI?  Are you ever gonna work on this?

Are you still waiting for ? ) I want to disappoint you. They won't make any support for Nikon many cameras. 100% ! Their goal was to sell as much as possible. But did not listen to their customers. They just left people to their own devices...
    2018-12-30
    Use props
    aflight
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 459367 ft
    United Kingdom

DJI Should compensate the customers that have been messed around and mis led. The most painful aspect of this is that now it is £200 less than when I got it 6 weeks ago! The features are not working as advertised, you can't control the camera for any of the create options!
    2018-12-30
    Use props
    fans3cdde595
    New
    • >>>
    United States

aflight Posted at 12-30 07:58
    DJI Should compensate the customers that have been messed around and mis led. The most painful aspect of this is that now it is £200 less than when I got it 6 weeks ago! The features are not working as advertised, you can't control the camera for any of the create options!

I was on my way to order this product as I have D4 and D750 soon to purchase D850. Love all my other DJI devices but this breach in customer trust is VERY troubling. I will continue to follow this thread but my faith innDji has been shattered. You guys and gals need to go to social media to complain and affect bottom line $ to get response. DJI is a drone company and that is where most of their resources go so they may be immune to threat but it at least will impact their image.
    2018-12-30
    Use props
    fans3cdde595
    New
    • >>>
    United States

aflight Posted at 12-30 07:58

I was on my way to order this product as I have D4 and D750 soon to purchase D850. Love all my other DJI devices but this breach in customer trust is VERY troubling. I will continue to follow this thread but my faith innDji has been shattered. You guys and gals need to go to social media to complain and affect bottom line $ to get response. DJI is a drone company and that is where most of their resources go so they may be immune to threat but it at least will impact their image.
    2018-12-30
    Use props
    fansc3e85909
    lvl.2
    United States

DJI needs to use the 10 pin connection instead of the USB if they ever want the Pro cameras from Nikon to work.
    2018-12-30
    Use props
    WernerD
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 350837 ft
    • >>>
    Austria

Why? The 10 pin connector has a small subset of the functionalities you have via the USB connection. Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 can control everything of the camera and is connected via USB also.
    2018-12-30
    Use props
    fansc3e85909
    lvl.2
    United States

I’ve never used Control Pro but I see your point, I guess that makes it more of a question as to why DJI hasn’t fixed the problems with the Nikons yet.
    2018-12-31
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

Had i known there'd be no support for Nikon, i should have gotten a crane or a weebill
    2019-1-16
    Use props
    ian kulit
    lvl.2
    Philippines

DJI addresses alleged corruption scandal that reportedly increased product prices by 20%

overpriced and no support
    2019-1-21
    Use props
    123Next >
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules