Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compatibility list incorrect (Zero Nikon Support)
123Next >
26304 86 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

I’m quite disappointed that DJI is publishing compatability with any Nikon cameras. Other than an amazing gimbal,  no other function is working with a Nikon body. No point to plugging in a cable-you won’t even get the record start/stop functionality that they say is available right now..!

Symptoms:
By plugging in the micro-USB’s to the body of the camera it will kick it out of live-view mode. The record button won’t even trigger it back or start a recording. There is no way for the camera to be switched back into live-view as it just ignores the buttons on the back. If you unplug the RSS cable and re-plug, the gimbal disengages the motors.

Cameras tested:
  • D500
  • D850
  • D7500
  • D7200

This is irrelevant of what lens is on the body.

There isn’t any tutorial video, documentation I’m the quick start guide (no full manual available yet), or in the FAQ on the RSS cables and camera control/setup.

Please advise, as at the very least we need the start/stop record function that was said to function. With future support expanding to possible follow focus and more.

2018-6-13
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

Further tried:
D700
D4
D4s

All same issue as above.

Following the instructions from the manual that is located (which is oddly not on DJI Ronin-S's main page, but has the same compatibility list as is posted online):
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... r%20Manual_v1.0.pdf
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for the issues you are having with Ronin-S, the correct cable for Nikon camera should be MCC Cable, may I have a short video about how you connect and the issue you are having for further support? Thank you in advance.
2018-6-15
Use props
HexTool
lvl.1
Hong Kong

When I connected mine to the gimbal, I noticed that if the photo/video toggle is set to photo mode upon connection, the camera only respond to long-press of the red-dot button on the gimbal and then it captures a photo. The camera won't respond/switch to video mode when the cable is still connected.

So the way I figured out is to switch the toggle to video mode, then connect the camera with the gimbal and I can get it to capture video or just a still.

2018-6-15
Use props
fanse42ceb4f
lvl.1

HexTool Posted at 2018-6-15 04:53
When I connected mine to the gimbal, I noticed that if the photo/video toggle is set to photo mode upon connection, the camera only respond to long-press of the red-dot button on the gimbal and then it captures a photo. The camera won't respond/switch to video mode when the cable is still connected.

So the way I figured out is to switch the toggle to video mode, then connect the camera with the gimbal and I can get it to capture video or just a still.

I have tried repeatedly with the Nikon D800, and each time I switch on the camera, the gimbal quits working.  If the camera is not "ON" the gimbal works, but if the camera is "ON" the gimbal stops and no camera control is present.  DJI support has been very poor - simply quoting the manual as to the proper cable.  It does not work!
2018-6-15
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

fanse42ceb4f Posted at 2018-6-15 05:46
I have tried repeatedly with the Nikon D800, and each time I switch on the camera, the gimbal quits working.  If the camera is not "ON" the gimbal works, but if the camera is "ON" the gimbal stops and no camera control is present.  DJI support has been very poor - simply quoting the manual as to the proper cable.  It does not work!

This method of turning it on when already in live-view mode does NOT work for me. It's also against what they warn you do in the manual (Only turn camera on AFTER gimbal is on, Only plug cables while both are off). What Nikon Body are you using?

Regardless–I have tried and it makes no difference for me, on any of the aforementioned Nikon bodies I listed.
2018-6-15
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-15 01:50
Sorry for the issues you are having with Ronin-S, the correct cable for Nikon camera should be MCC Cable, may I have a short video about how you connect and the issue you are having for further support? Thank you in advance.

As requested:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=3z693JYvgMg

Again same symptoms on all the bodies I've tried. I've also tried a Canon 5D Mark IV, and the same cable worked fine with that camera (Start/Stop recording). This seems to imply that there is no hardware fault/mechanical issue with the cable or Ronin.
2018-6-15
Use props
fanse42ceb4f
lvl.1

thephilz Posted at 2018-6-15 05:51
This method of turning it on when already in live-view mode does NOT work for me. It's also against what they warn you do in the manual (Only turn camera on AFTER gimbal is on, Only plug cables while both are off). What Nikon Body are you using?

Regardless–I have tried and it makes no difference for me, on any of the aforementioned Nikon bodies I listed.

It doesn't matter whether the camera is in live view or not.  On the D800, simply turning the camera on AFTER the gimbal causes everything to shut down.  The gimbal goes limp and the app states the gimbal is "Disconnected".  App or no app the same thing happens.
2018-6-15
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

fanse42ceb4f Posted at 2018-6-15 06:39
It doesn't matter whether the camera is in live view or not.  On the D800, simply turning the camera on AFTER the gimbal causes everything to shut down.  The gimbal goes limp and the app states the gimbal is "Disconnected".  App or no app the same thing happens.

There is a serious problem but obviously they aren't acknowledging it.

It's false advertising as far as I see–they have to acknowledge it and say a fix is inbound OR change their compatibility tables. I ordered this off of available information, the compatibility tables...!

I'm the first in a big network of Pro's in my industry with this–most of us shoot Nikon for various reasons. This is why I've been able to test it on so many different bodies as well. This needs to be fixed otherwise it'll be a large vocal group ignoring the Ronin-S. . Which is sad as at a fundamental level the gimbal is pretty amazing otherwise! Just it's 2018–a 'dumb' non-integrated gimbal is kind of... not an option.
2018-6-15
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-15 01:50

Sorry incorrect link in my previous message:

2018-6-15
Use props
jamesedmunds.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2533 ft
United States

It doesn't matter whether the camera is in live view or not.  On the D800, simply turning the camera on AFTER the gimbal causes everything to shut down.  The gimbal goes limp and the app states the gimbal is "Disconnected".  App or no app the same thing happens.

Same issue here with D800. I have nothing else to add, posting only to express scope of the issue.  
2018-6-15
Use props
jamesedmunds.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2533 ft
United States

Same issue here with D800. I have nothing else to add, posting only to express scope of the issue.  
2018-6-15
Use props
fanse42ceb4f
lvl.1

jamesedmunds.gmail Posted at 2018-6-15 08:20
Same issue here with D800. I have nothing else to add, posting only to express scope of the issue.

I have communicated with DJI multiple times, and it is quite obvi ous that they have no idea what they are talking about!  I am more than frustrated. I have asked that they communicate with the engineers who declared Nikon compatible, but the only response is to recommend trying the cables supplied.  A very poor review will be upcoming on this gimbal!
2018-6-15
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

I ran into another D850 and it DID work, sends the camera into PC control mode (so top display says PC, and a 'progress bar'). It did function the start/stop and it did (via app) flip between video and camera. You get NO status that it's recording other than memory card light lighting up. Somewhat a poor implementation.

Still most Nikons... don't work.
2018-6-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry for the troubles. Our engineers have contacted Nikon to locate the compatibility issues related to SDK, they will begin to fix as soon as the root cause is confirmed. Thanks for your patience.
2018-6-15
Use props
fanse42ceb4f
lvl.1

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-6-15 22:56
Hi there, we're sorry for the troubles. Our engineers have contacted Nikon to locate the compatibility issues related to SDK, they will begin to fix as soon as the root cause is confirmed. Thanks for your patience.

I own multiple devices which control my Nikon D800 remotely by way of the standard 10-pin socket on the camera.  I can control all shutter functions remotely, as well as focus.  It seems to me that this would be the logical portal for DJI to use for its cable.  I am not an engineer, but why not use the portal used by so many other devices effectively?
2018-6-16
Use props
Vhotard
lvl.1
United States

Having the same issue with the following:

D500
D800
D4
D7000

DJI customer support is clueless! Did no one at DJI test to see is this actually worked? The gimbal is great but seriously test things on your end before you post the specs. What a total debacle!
2018-6-20
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.3
United States

thephilz Posted at 2018-6-15 06:03
As requested:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=3z693JYvgMg

I see the same issues with Canon 1dx mark II.  I talked to support on Monday and they had no clue.  I emailed a ticket in 3 days ago with a response today asking me what firmware and app version, telling me that start/stop should be working.  

I haven't seen any camera yet work with the USB cable supporting the record button on the ronin or app create functions.  Only the GH5 with the IR cable which seems flakey at best.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

sumoadam Posted at 2018-6-20 18:50
I see the same issues with Canon 1dx mark II.  I talked to support on Monday and they had no clue.  I emailed a ticket in 3 days ago with a response today asking me what firmware and app version, telling me that start/stop should be working.  

I haven't seen any camera yet work with the USB cable supporting the record button on the ronin or app create functions.  Only the GH5 with the IR cable which seems flakey at best.

The USB cable functionality hasn't been enabled for Canon yet. Currently Canon will require the IR cable until an official firmware is launched. We're working on optimizing the focus control to make it as smooth as possible.

You can see this video of where we're at so far. We're still debugging to make sure it's working properly before we have an official release.

2018-6-20
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

When plugging a USB cable into a Nikon camera,  some of them turn off live view. This is a Nikon issue and nothing DJI can do.

Currently, the Nikon control is being debugged. We've found the issue with the control system pinging the camera and then deciphering the signal being sent back improperly.

The other problem with the gimbal going limp has already been identified. If you notice this now, you can wait a little bit (about 30-40 seconds) and the gimbal will power back up. We're planning to get this fixed ASAP.
2018-6-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The post in 19# and 20# are from our R&D engineers, please refer to their reply and sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
2018-6-20
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-20 21:00
When plugging a USB cable into a Nikon camera,  some of them turn off live view. This is a Nikon issue and nothing DJI can do.

Currently, the Nikon control is being debugged. We've found the issue with the control system pinging the camera and then deciphering the signal being sent back improperly.

DJI-Paul, Mindy

'Some turn off live view. This is a Nikon issue and nothing DJI can do."

Are you saying then, that DJI is not planning for this to be fixed at all? Then the vast majority of Nikon cameras on the official 'supported list' are actually, NOT SUPPORTED. They shouldn't be advertised as being supported either.

It's also hard to believe that it's a 'Nikon Issue' when I have other apps and devices that use the same connector and do not have issues. They do not turn off the live view, have camera control and function just fine. Reikan Focal, Tethering in various RAW dev packages, custom mobile camera control via USB and wifi device. All work fine. This would indicate it's not a 'Nikon Issue'. It's also hard to expect that Nikon will release a firmware update just to fix compatbility with one third-party hardware product. That'd be a first in all my years as a Nikon Professional Services member.
Just trying to get clarity here, you're saying there is two separate issues in regards to Nikon:
  • Turning off live view (it's actually freezing control of the camera)
  • Nikon control of functions

Issue #1 is not being worked by DJI

Issue #2 is being worked by DJI

Given issue #1, even if issue #2 is resolved, we're all left with devices that are useless for shooting video, which is the primary function of the RONIN-S. There is no workaround.

Which is what bugs me yet again–DJI has zero professional support/best practicies
I have a $699 USD pro-device I ordered specifically for the compatibility list that was was publicly shown. This isn't a consumer widget. This isn't an Osmo. This isn't a Mavic, spark, etc. We use a lot of DJI devices but this is starting to get to be a bit ridiculous that products never seemingly work as intended when released, if they get there. (This is with ~$30K of DJI equipment in less than 2 years).
2018-6-21
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.3
United States

well i was going to purchase the RONAN-S this week, glad i read the review. I have a D600 and a D750 and why buy a device that is truly not compatible with my nikons??
2018-6-21
Use props
EAPS
lvl.1

United States

I got off the phone with DJI support. They assured me that all problems are being worked on and should be patched in the next firmware update. So we'll see.

This is what you get for purchasing brand new technology right out of the gate i suppose.
2018-6-21
Use props
Vhotard
lvl.1
United States

Direct from Nikon Pro Services...
2018-6-21
Use props
sumoadam
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-20 20:49
The USB cable functionality hasn't been enabled for Canon yet. Currently Canon will require the IR cable until an official firmware is launched. We're working on optimizing the focus control to make it as smooth as possible.

You can see this video of where we're at so far. We're still debugging to make sure it's working properly before we have an official release.

The most accurate info I've seen so far that makes sense.  DJI support sends me an email this morning to video the issues I'm having, jeez they know issues exist so just tell everybody the camera integration is basically still in beta.   Some cameras like the 1d series don't have IR sensors so stuck with USB.
2018-6-21
Use props
danielebarone
lvl.4
Italy

fanse42ceb4f Posted at 2018-6-16 07:05
I own multiple devices which control my Nikon D800 remotely by way of the standard 10-pin socket on the camera.  I can control all shutter functions remotely, as well as focus.  It seems to me that this would be the logical portal for DJI to use for its cable.  I am not an engineer, but why not use the portal used by so many other devices effectively?

Hi! Could you please tell me witch devices you use to control a Nikon D800 (focus and start stop)?
Thank you in advance.
Daniele
2018-6-22
Use props
danielebarone
lvl.4
Italy

fanse42ceb4f Posted at 2018-6-16 07:05
I own multiple devices which control my Nikon D800 remotely by way of the standard 10-pin socket on the camera.  I can control all shutter functions remotely, as well as focus.  It seems to me that this would be the logical portal for DJI to use for its cable.  I am not an engineer, but why not use the portal used by so many other devices effectively?

Hi! Could you please tell me witch devices you use to control a Nikon D800 (focus and start stop)?
Thank you in advance.
Daniele
2018-6-22
Use props
Vhotard
lvl.1
United States

danielebarone Posted at 2018-6-22 04:27
Thank you in advance.
Daniele

At this point it appears that most Nikon cameras are NOT supported. FALSE ADVERTISING by DJI! They need to change the spec sheets that are on BH as well as their site until they get this fixed.
2018-6-22
Use props
djiuser_6adwq7rqXuId
New

I'm seeing very similar results for Nikon.

Cameras tested
D850
D810
D600

The D850 did produce the " PC " notification on the top display which means the Ronin-S has " PC " control, but it only triggered, nothing else, no auto focusing, no live view, nothing else etc is supported. Useless for remote triggering and camera control.

For the D810 and D600 nothing is supported, no triggering, no " PC " control notification, nothing at all. I purchased the Ronin-S because of the camera support documents right on their web site mentioned the Nikon cameras I own, and this is incorrect. This has nothing to do with lens selection, the camera support is basically not functioning.

This is not good!

2018-6-25
Use props
djiuser_6adwq7rqXuId
New

danielebarone Posted at 2018-6-22 04:27
Thank you in advance.
Daniele

See my reply as well...I'm seeing very similar results for Nikon.

Cameras tested
D850
D810
D600

This is not good!

2018-6-25
Use props
djiuser_6adwq7rqXuId
New

thephilz Posted at 2018-6-21 07:23
DJI-Paul, Mindy

'Some turn off live view. This is a Nikon issue and nothing DJI can do."

I'm on the same situation. I've used lots of other apps with my Nikon D850, D801 and D600 the last several years without problems. This is unacceptable and I would have expected more from DJI. The compatibility list reflecting Nikon support is just plain false. DJI, you might have tested the gimbal with the referenced cameras and some lenses, but full testing could NOT have been performed. This is false advertising and does not look good (let along a waste of time trying to get things workings).

Can you as a minimum post when your anticipated firmware update will be available for Nikon support so other Nikon owners don't fall into this advertising trap?

Thanks, Mike
2018-6-25
Use props
1A2F
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1045643 ft
Argentina

thephilz Posted at 2018-6-15 08:13
Sorry incorrect link in my previous message:

https://youtu.be/3z693JYvgMg

i would to buy the gimball but i wait now for a solution. Thanks a lot for the video !
2018-6-25
Use props
1A2F
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1045643 ft
Argentina

Hi all! Check the answer from DJI support about the Nikon camera and lenses... if we have a standart 16-80mm on our D500 isn't supported :-(

Support wrote me:

Hi Adriano,

Thank you for contacting DJI technical support.

I appreciate your interest on using DJI product, let me see what would be the the best thing that we can do to fix this issue.

Base on the list that we have on our official manual on our website camera and lens for Nikon listed below are compatible.

I will forward this to our engineer for further checking.

For the mean time try to use the RSS infrared cable to make the START/STOP functional.

1.JPG

inline-359953943.png

2018-6-27
Use props
EAPS
lvl.1

United States

1A2F Posted at 2018-6-27 03:13
Hi all! Check the answer from DJI support about the Nikon camera and lenses... if we have a standart 16-80mm on our D500 isn't supported :-(

Support wrote me:

The pull focus isn't the issue here. The issue is that it completely bricks the camera and shuts the gimbal off.

What else is interesting and leads to the proof that they don't know what they are talking about is that the Nikon D500 does not have IR sensors.

2018-6-27
Use props
thephilz
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Paul, DJI Mindy,

In light of the recent firmware update & now admited changes to the camera compatbability list. What is the the plan for those that have already bought the product on the advertised support of cameras that are no longer being actively supported (other than just balancing)?

It was stated here and via DJI support that the next firmware would fix the issues–regaining at least the basic functionality with the MCC-cable (not focus-pulling).

"I’m sorry you are having this problem. For Nikon camera, MCC cable will be used for that. However it will need the next firmware update to have it work. The next firmware update is under development." - DJI Technical Support

What is the timetable? What is being done? Is anything actively identified to fix this or is it a 'wait and see'? Is this really being pegged as a Nikon issue and DJI not persuing it (when other apps/devices work just fine; saying to expect a NIKON firmware update is... unresonable.)?

Is DJI buying back the gimbals if they aren't actually useful for the purpose they were purchased with the advertised compatability?

I'm a professional and need to know what my gear can do. I make purchasing decisions based off the information available. Is there any way to get in touch with the engineers of this or a pro services team?

Thanks,
Phil

2018-6-28
Use props
Vhotard
lvl.1
United States

thephilz Posted at 2018-6-28 07:49
DJI-Paul, DJI Mindy,

In light of the recent firmware update & now admited changes to the camera compatbability list. What is the the plan for those that have already bought the product on the advertised support of cameras that are no longer being actively supported (other than just balancing)?

At this point I would wait, the gimbal is great (strong motors and very smooth) BUT this is turning into a huge issue for Nikon users. They changed their spec sheet to now remove all Nikons other than the d850. Buy something else or wait but I would not buy now. DJI needs to get it together! Stop blaming Nikon and just own up to lack of testing.
2018-6-28
Use props
Cat777
New
Flight distance : 93140 ft
Colombia

Cameras tested:
D500

big Problem
2018-6-29
Use props
EAPS
lvl.1

United States

I went home and installed the new firmware as of yesterday. I can say that the D500 works fine now. The only thing that isn't supported is the pull focus however neither does my 850 yet (they said next update)
2018-6-29
Use props
fanse42ceb4f
lvl.1

fanse42ceb4f Posted at 2018-6-15 08:45
I have communicated with DJI multiple times, and it is quite obvi ous that they have no idea what they are talking about!  I am more than frustrated. I have asked that they communicate with the engineers who declared Nikon compatible, but the only response is to recommend trying the cables supplied.  A very poor review will be upcoming on this gimbal!

After installing the latest firmware version, the D800 does work to a certain extent.  With the Live View selector on video, I am able to take videos or photos with full control of the gimbal, using the app.  One major problem though - NO LIVE VIEW!  It makes little sense to purchase a gimbal designed for a clear view of the live view screen, if nothing shows on that screen. C'mon DJI - get this fixed.  I am in full agreement with the claims of false advertising.  It is pretty clear nobody tested all of the cameras advertised as compatible.
2018-7-1
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules