DJI Go 4 Lag with Mavic Pro
2838 23 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chapstick
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37861 ft
United States

I use the DJI Mavic Pro with a samsung galaxy S5. The phone is running 6.0.1 with the latest DJI Go 4 app as of June 13, 2018.
When I fly, the device streams video well for the first few ish minutes, sometimes less, with or without an SD card, and then starts to become pixelated and laggy. I am not caching to the phone and am in airplane mode, with all background apps shut off. The video that ends up cached to the SD card is perfectly fine, it's just the transmission that's bothering me. The antennas are oriented correctly and it's never more than a few hundred feet from me at a time. It's happened consistently the past three days now. Today, I went and formatted the card, did a factory reset on the S5, set up everything, and was fine for the first little bit, then the pixelation issues started. The weird thing is that the phone worked flawlessly from about February onward until about May.

Has my phone become too slow, is there a problem with the app, the cable, what? I'm taking the 107 in a week ish and don't want to be stuck legally able to commercially operate a drone with no way to use it safely because of this lag. Any suggestions?
2018-6-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

By chance did you upgrade Mavic Pro firmware sometime near start of May?
2018-6-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

If your Mavic Pro is running Firmware .0300, trying backing firmware off to .0200 or .0100.   Will need to back R.C. off too.
2018-6-13
Use props
SpinItUp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3812493 ft

Use an ANKER USB cable.
I had this problem to start with using standard device cables.
The ANKER cables provide a shield against interference

shop for some of these
2018-6-14
Use props
SpinItUp
lvl.2

Use an ANKER USB cable.
I had this problem to start with using standard device cables.
The ANKER cables provide a shield against interference

shop for some of these
2018-6-14
Use props
SpinItUp
lvl.2

sorry double post
2018-6-14
Use props
Chapstick
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-13 20:03
By chance did you upgrade Mavic Pro firmware sometime near start of May?

Give or take, yeah. I downgraded the app to 1.1.15 and am waiting on the weather to test it, fingers crossed.
2018-6-15
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

This problem approximately began last November with the v4.1.15 update.  Be careful!  Thousands of views on this link that describes it.  Many Many people were affected and it appears that 6 months later, DJI still hasn't fixed this.  I personally lost my Mavic due to this issue including loss of control with the App entirely and maybe the RC.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-120543-2-1.html

I recommend that once the pixelation or app lag begins, you land immediately as it may become impossible to control or change any critical settings within the App that you may need for a safe landing (such as updating your RTH altitude or height, homepoint etc). if the lag and pixelation critically affected your flight.
2018-6-16
Use props
Chapstick
lvl.1
United States

So what would be the most stable version of the app to run?
2018-6-16
Use props
dreadnaught213
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36191 ft

Hi, sorry to jump in here but I've come upon a problem and this one looks very similar. It's probably been about 3 weeks at least since I've flown last. I went to pre for a flight for tomorrow and booted up to do a quick fly around and was met with my controller not connecting to the Mavic Pro. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had no luck initializing connection. I returned inside to update the firmware of the drone and after performing the update, returned outside. I was able to connect to the drone but the app was VERYYYY laggy and would notify me that I was not running the correct firmware (that I just downloaded). I eventually made in into the flight screen however upon rolling my right controller wheel for exposure, the app readout was unresponsive to the change, it was getting dark so it was hard to tell if the drone responded. I then also realized my video was fluctuating in and out of heavy pixilation and a very fuzzy picture. I tried reinstalling the software but no effect, so as of this point I have a $900 paperweight.
2018-6-16
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

dreadnaught213 Posted at 2018-6-16 18:53
Hi, sorry to jump in here but I've come upon a problem and this one looks very similar. It's probably been about 3 weeks at least since I've flown last. I went to pre for a flight for tomorrow and booted up to do a quick fly around and was met with my controller not connecting to the Mavic Pro. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had no luck initializing connection. I returned inside to update the firmware of the drone and after performing the update, returned outside. I was able to connect to the drone but the app was VERYYYY laggy and would notify me that I was not running the correct firmware (that I just downloaded). I eventually made in into the flight screen however upon rolling my right controller wheel for exposure, the app readout was unresponsive to the change, it was getting dark so it was hard to tell if the drone responded. I then also realized my video was fluctuating in and out of heavy pixilation and a very fuzzy picture. I tried reinstalling the software but no effect, so as of this point I have a $900 paperweight.

What device are you using??
2018-6-16
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I'm noticing the same issues with the video feed however my Mavic Pro goes into ATTI Mode the longer into the flight. My last flight was before the Version 4.2.20 update to DJI GO 4 Application but when I connected the video immediately it distorts. My phone is the Samsung S7 and it has 4GB RAM same as both S8 and S9. The S7 is the last Samsung phone with its famous home button. So if you are flying in DJI GO 4 and your display freezes the virtual home button of the S8 and S9 will also freeze making the only way to unfreeze is to power off and power on the phone.

I cannot fly my drones using Version 4.2.20, my Mavic Pro went into ATTI on both my two flights trying this update. I'm hoping DJI can get me back on track because I can see losing or crashing my drone in the way it flew since performing great that last time I flew with the old firmware?
2018-6-16
Use props
jgilchristmusic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172024 ft

I have had the same issue and apparently you have to roll back the app to the previous version. How to do that I don't know.
2018-6-20
Use props
fans5d0f6628
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172024 ft

I solved it by rolling back to 4.2.16!
2018-6-21
Use props
dreadnaught213
lvl.1

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-16 19:17

Galaxy s7 Edge
2018-6-27
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Roll back to 4.2.14.  https://apkpure.com/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4/dji.go.v4
2018-6-27
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

I fly with the latest Firmware updates installed and the latest version of Go4 App for Android.  My phone is a Samsung Note 5, running Android V 7.0 which isn't on the approved list.  The only problems that I've had with my setup have been MINOR and corrected by usually replacing my usb cable.  But I have a set routine that I go through every time I fly.

1.  Close all running apps
2.  Go to Settings, Device Maintainance
3.  Let it scan the phone for a few seconds.  It will return a percentage of how loaded your phone is.  Click on Optimize.  (There is no harm done)  Closing the apps in step #1 will not close ALL the apps running.
4.  Click on the Battery button on the bottom of this screen. This will give you a list of apps THAT ARE STILL running in the background.  (Closing the apps in Step #1 DOES NOT CLOSE ALL THE APPS.  Click on "Save Power" and shut them off.  

This takes ALL the load off your android device.  Nothing running in the background, nothing using computing power.  If you don't have your phone in Airplane mode (which will reduce the load even further) you'll still get your email notifications, your text messages will still come through.  

I do this every single time that I fly and I've never had a single instance of video lag or Pixelation.
2018-6-27
Use props
Apollo580
New
Flight distance : 90876 ft

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-6-27 08:10
I fly with the latest Firmware updates installed and the latest version of Go4 App for Android.  My phone is a Samsung Note 5, running Android V 7.0 which isn't on the approved list.  The only problems that I've had with my setup have been MINOR and corrected by usually replacing my usb cable.  But I have a set routine that I go through every time I fly.

1.  Close all running apps

I appreciate your input, but stop posting this everywhere. Just because YOU dont have problems, doesn't mean others don't. Simply put you solution doesn't fix the issue.
2018-7-1
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer

Apollo580 Posted at 2018-7-1 10:16
I appreciate your input, but stop posting this everywhere. Just because YOU dont have problems, doesn't mean others don't. Simply put you solution doesn't fix the issue.

Fine.. no problem.. Y'all have fun.. I'm outta here for good..
2018-7-1
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-7-1 12:03
Fine.. no problem.. Y'all have fun.. I'm outta here for good..

I disagree.  Your input may help a lot of people b/c this problem is very common, so anyone who helps out with this (even theories to fix) is better than DJI that goes at least 9 months of this problem without any improvement (in fact I see its inflicted Mavic Airs big time too now).  

C'mon back
2018-7-1
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer

randy.sauder Posted at 2018-7-1 20:34
I disagree.  Your input may help a lot of people b/c this problem is very common, so anyone who helps out with this (even theories to fix) is better than DJI that goes at least 9 months of this problem without any improvement (in fact I see its inflicted Mavic Airs big time too now).  

C'mon back

Thank you...  This morning, I did an experiment.  I have three batteries.  

Battery #1  I took off, with no prep.  I just took my Note 5 and clipped it in the holder, plugged it in and took off.  I had stuttering.  About once a second, it would hesitate.  Totally different from what I usually get.  

Battery #2  Before I took off I went through Device Maintenance.  I shut down all background apps.  Unloaded my CPU usage and extra battery Load and demand as I've described above.  And then took off again.  This time, the stutter was only about once every 15-20 seconds.  Entirely acceptable.  One little bump occasionally.  

Battery #3  This time, I also switched my phone to Airplane mode.  NO stutter.  NO lag.  NO issues.  Crystal clear video signal.  No problems other than the wind that was starting to pick up.  

Randy, I thank  you for your comments.  There is enough anger and frustration on this forum especially in some of the other threads and I do NOT want to be a part of that situation.  

What I do, works.... and if it helps others, then great, we have done what the intent of this forum is here for.  If it works for someone else, wonderful. I am happy to help them.  If it doesn't work for Apollo580, my condolences.   If someone doesn't like my advise, then they can simply ignore it.  No skin off my back.  I"m only trying to help others.  

Just because someones advice doesn't work for YOU, doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else.  
2018-7-2
Use props
dreadnaught213
lvl.1

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-16 19:17

Galaxy s7 Edge.
2018-7-13
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Still having issues?

Did you try the above remedies? Are you still on Go4 version 4.2.20?

Revert back to 4.2.14 or 4.2.16

Save all your pics and video from the cache folders. DJI Go4/ DJi Rec, etc
Some suggest deleting the DJI folder on your phone. Not always necessary, but that is why they recommend saving the cache files you wish to preserve. Most should have been saved at the cloud if you sync your records on your acct.

Uninstall the Go4 app.
Go to Play Store and disable "auto updating" for the Go4 app

Install 4.2.16 Go4 version and then disable any auto update for the app on your phone/tablet. (varies among devices)

You can get that here as well. DJI rep provided the link in post #4:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-156579-1-1.html

Hopefully that restores your device and MP video feed.
2018-7-13
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

This is exactly what I saw and could on my Android Phone and Tablet.  DJI is not showing any interest in solving this issue. I gave up and switched to a IOS Mini 4.  
2018-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules