Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-S & Sony Camera Control
123456Next >
101968 208 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timwhite
lvl.1

Okay so My Ronin S showed up yesterday.

I connect it to the Sony a7iii with a the usbc cable and it just sits there saying connecting.

Micro USB...same thing.

Which cable am I supposed to use and how do I get it to recorgnize the thing?

I feel dumb.
2018-6-13
Use props
fans7a18dd1c
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue
2018-6-14
Use props
egargiulo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

very, very much. all ok. This is DJI
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Take a look at the manual for the type of cable to use currently for the Sony. You'll need to use the IR cable and enable wireless control from your camera.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... r%20Manual_v1.0.pdf
2018-6-14
Use props
frankpit
New
  • >>>

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-14 06:29
Take a look at the manual for the type of cable to use currently for the Sony. You'll need to use the IR cable and enable wireless control from your camera.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin-S/Ronin-S%20User%20Manual_v1.0.pdf

This doesn’t work (IR) on my A9 or A7RIII.  Very disappointed that Sony wasn’t supported via micro USB multi port on both cameras (or USB-C on A7RIII).  Any ETA on when Sony cameras will be supported for shutter? Focus?
2018-6-14
Use props
felipeolveram
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94849 ft
United States

send it to me, i'll check it out for you ;)
2018-6-14
Use props
timwhite
lvl.1

frankpit Posted at 2018-6-14 18:57
This doesn’t work (IR) on my A9 or A7RIII.  Very disappointed that Sony wasn’t supported via micro USB multi port on both cameras (or USB-C on A7RIII).  Any ETA on when Sony cameras will be supported for shutter? Focus?

DOESNT WORK FOR ME EITHER.

Ive tried every single cable it comes with and every setting on the camera related to usb or remote control and i cant get the thing working with the Ronin-S for ANY controls. Ive referenced both the manual and quick start guide and I dont see anything to help.
2018-6-14
Use props
timwhite
lvl.1

felipeolveram Posted at 2018-6-14 18:58
send it to me, i'll check it out for you ;)

pm me your address.
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry for the difficulties on connecting, for Sony series camera, we can only use RSS-IR control cable.
Please connect the RSS-IR Control Cable to the RSS port on the gimbal, and then make sure the infrared light is pointing to the camera's receiver. If the issue persists, any chance to provide us a short video of the connection procedure for further support? Thank you very much.
2018-6-14
Use props
curtismyhero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47667 ft
United States

I will be the first to admit that I am not a fan of this type of setup, though I do understand that it requires Sony's partnership as well to have full integration.  For those struggling with the IR control cable, note that the cable has to pretty much be RIGHT in front of the receiver.  Additionally, it may take a few tries with unplugging/rebooting before full control is provided.  Hopefully a FW update will come soon that will allow playback via a direct cable (similar to how Zhiyun Crane works).  

Also DJI, IF a new cable is required, please ensure that the cable is straight!  For Sony users, there is a chance that a curved plug could block the HDMI port, which restricts the ability to use external monitors.  Thanks and happy shooting everyone!
2018-6-15
Use props
jaybee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 586201 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-6-14 22:44
We are sorry for the difficulties on connecting, for Sony series camera, we can only use RSS-IR control cable.
Please connect the RSS-IR Control Cable to the RSS port on the gimbal, and then make sure the infrared light is pointing to the camera's receiver. If the issue persists, any chance to provide us a short video of the connection procedure for further support? Thank you very much.

"for Sony series camera, we can only use RSS-IR control cable"

Can you offer a technical explanation as to why this is? Zhiyun Crane systems manage this, as do cheap wired controllers such as the 'Fotga Remote Control Shutter Release'. What was the issue intergating a wired solution for Sony cameras?
2018-6-17
Use props
Fortnight
Captain
Flight distance : 5403383 ft
  • >>>
United States

IR cable works fine.  Make sure to turn on remote control in the Sony body
2018-6-18
Use props
Baraka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110682 ft
  • >>>

Fortnight Posted at 2018-6-18 05:02
IR cable works fine.  Make sure to turn on remote control in the Sony body

Is the light of IR cable turns on when you plug it on the gimbal? I turn on the remote control on Sony body but it still doesn’t work. I use Sony A7R3
2018-6-18
Use props
Fortnight
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Baraka Posted at 2018-6-18 13:17
Is the light of IR cable turns on when you plug it on the gimbal? I turn on the remote control on Sony body but it still doesn’t work. I use Sony A7R3

No it does not light up nor did I have to change anything in the Ronin.  It just worked.  Make sure it is aimed at the front of the camera.  Works on both A7r3 and A73.
2018-6-18
Use props
Morawka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206276 ft
United States

Please add better Sony support DJI.  You have more support for panasonic camera's than you do with the Sony's.  FYI DJI, Sony is replacing both Canon and Nikon as the premier leader in digital imaging.  The A7 III offers 1DX performance at 6D prices, so you need to get that camera supported ASAP.  DJI needs to put Sony A7 bodies at the top of their priority list.    Any $15 intervalometer can support wired shutter control, the fact that DJI's Ronin-S, a $700 gimbal that can't support wired shutter control is ridiculous.  IR control does not work well outside.    Please improve sony support and ideally give us focus control internally.
2018-6-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jaybee Posted at 2018-6-17 07:41
"for Sony series camera, we can only use RSS-IR control cable"

Can you offer a technical explanation as to why this is? Zhiyun Crane systems manage this, as do cheap wired controllers such as the 'Fotga Remote Control Shutter Release'. What was the issue intergating a wired solution for Sony cameras?

We designed the control method according to the camera manufacturer and will keep updating our products, your feedback has been forwarded to our development team for attention, please note our website about the future release. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Morawka Posted at 2018-6-18 17:29
Please add better Sony support DJI.  You have more support for panasonic camera's than you do with the Sony's.  FYI DJI, Sony is replacing both Canon and Nikon as the premier leader in digital imaging.  The A7 III offers 1DX performance at 6D prices, so you need to get that camera supported ASAP.  DJI needs to put Sony A7 bodies at the top of their priority list.    Any $15 intervalometer can support wired shutter control, the fact that DJI's Ronin-S, a $700 gimbal that can't support wired shutter control is ridiculous.  IR control does not work well outside.    Please improve sony support and ideally give us focus control internally.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we care much about your feedback on our product, I’ve transferred your concern to the R&D engineers, will keep improving to make your experience with our product better.
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Baraka Posted at 2018-6-18 13:17
Is the light of IR cable turns on when you plug it on the gimbal? I turn on the remote control on Sony body but it still doesn’t work. I use Sony A7R3

Please make sure the infrared light is pointing to the camera's receiver as shown below, then enable the Remote Control function on the camera to enable control. GTScreenshot_20180619_173135.png
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The remote sensor on the Sony is located on the grip. Make sure to point the IR cable at this.

2018-6-20
Use props
fansad439635
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70669 ft
  • >>>

My Ronin S with Sony a7III and 6500 are dead in the water. Just won’t connect. The way this was packaged it looks like they were in a hurry. I don’t think the Ronin S is ready for consumers yet. I feel like a beta tester, where bugs fly everywhere. :-/
2018-6-22
Use props
Stacey26
New
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2018-6-14 06:29

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin-S/Ronin-S%20User%20Manual_v1.0.pdf

Hi! How do I enable wireless control from the Sony a7riii?
2018-6-22
Use props
Fortnight
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Stacey26 Posted at 2018-6-22 15:01
Hi! How do I enable wireless control from the Sony a7riii?

Menu = Setup3 then Remote Ctrl    3/7
2018-6-23
Use props
fansc22e5336
lvl.3

Norway

This is not good, other brands manange to get the usb working fine and dji makes a half solution that works sometimes. This need to be fixed now
2018-6-23
Use props
Brunoq
New
  • >>>

You need to ditch the efforts with the micro USB cable. The cables for proper controls will only work with panasonic GH5. This is such a lame work around but you’ll have to use the IR cable, plug the IR cable (it has what looks like a small led) into the base of the gimbal then point the IR led straight into the front of your cameras receiver. I believe it’s a small dot just above your camera grip. Then turn on the gimbal wait till it’s on, then turn on your camera. You can then push the record button. I have to push the record button on the very corner, I suspect the record button is not working as it should be because it is VERY finicky. Press the edge and your camera will start recording. You have to place the IR DIRECTLY in front of your receiver. It’s finicky as all hell and in my opinion it’s a MAJOR disappointment.
2018-6-23
Use props
timwhite
lvl.1
Canada

I get it to work with the IR cable however, IT SUCKS.

It's not reliable at all. Even when it's in place, you hit the record button and get the camera to respond 50% of the time.

This should be advertised as Sony support, this is a joke. It's basically a DIY hack to get it working, not a commercial solution.
2018-6-24
Use props
rosobot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73445 ft
Australia

I agree it is average at best!  Certainly not a commercial solution
2018-6-25
Use props
Stacey26
New
United States

timwhite Posted at 2018-6-14 19:11
DOESNT WORK FOR ME EITHER.

Ive tried every single cable it comes with and every setting on the camera related to usb or remote control and i cant get the thing working with the Ronin-S for ANY controls. Ive referenced both the manual and quick start guide and I dont see anything to help.

Hi, have you found a solution? I have the same problem
2018-6-26
Use props
Escape Moto
Flight distance : 403573 ft
United States

Wow DJI, this is a HUGE disappointment. To say that the gimbal is compatible with Sony cameras is VERY misleading. The IR method is not reliable by any means. The fact that the micro-USB cable for start/stop recording isn't support is absolute garbage. You guys need to update support for this ASAP. I've got both an a7iii and a6500.
2018-6-27
Use props
Drewbacca
Flight distance : 374331 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just got off of a call with The Support, and they told me that the a7riii is not supported for IR control as of the latest firmware update (from 6/28).  Only the a7s2 and a6300 are currently supported  They have no set date to release new firmware to fix this.  So for everyone else that pre-ordered based on a compatibility list that had your camera on it, I feel for you.
2018-7-2
Use props
curtismyhero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47667 ft
United States

I also have the Sony a7III and a6500.  To say that this method is what made it out the door is less than ideal.  I admit that I got my Ronin-S with the hopes that DJI updates the Ronin S to control Sony's, similar to how Zhiyun is able to control vai a direct cable plug in with the Crane's.  Please DJI, prioritize this to be sooner rather than later.
2018-7-2
Use props
AntSpina90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13914 ft
United States

Why have pictures of the ronin s with what looks like a Sony camera advertised everywhere when it’s not fully supported ??
2018-7-2
Use props
Interlooper
New

Couldn't agree more with the complaints here. Sony cameras are flooding the market right now. I own an A7r III. How are they not supported through a wired connection for control stop/start and focus control for the lenses? By the way, the RSS controller doesnt work well either. I've been able to get it to start the camera recording a few times but I can't stop it. That's annoying. Is it really the case that only Panasonic Gh5's are the only camera format supporting the focus wheel at the launch of this product?!? That was actually mentioned in the manual of the Ronin S. LOL. That's wild.   If there is one thing that I absolute can't wrap my head around here DJI, it is how you advertise a universal system, but it only works with one or two systems at launch?  I'd rather you not ship the product until you've covered the majority of the camera systems out there DJI. This is a huge oversight and you are neglecting a lot of customers right now DJI.  Very very very disappointed.
2018-7-3
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Norway

I was thinking of buying Ronin s as i have just got my Sony A7 iii. But if there is a problem?
Is there any other product that i could use as a stabilizeer as ronin s, that works out there?
2018-7-3
Use props
Sapphire Creative
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6562 ft
Canada

so got me some ronin s ! problem is i own an a7sii, its listed as a compatible camera.... i assumed that mean with the USBC cable .. now it seams its only with the IR cable? can anyone confirm this is the case?
2018-7-4
Use props
twendel
lvl.1
  • >>>

After waiting almost a year between the announcement and the availability of the Ronin S, it is hard to believe it doesn't support Sony cameras. Obviously, there needs to be some communication from DJI regarding their plan and expected date for providing the promised functionality. When will DJI support Sony cameras?
2018-7-4
Use props
Zordon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys, currently waiting for my ronin s to arrive to use with my Sony camera. I don't know how much of an issue it will cause to start/stop recording from the camera rather than the gimbal, but I'm more concerned about the app functionality. Does it mean that I won't be able to use the app to shoot timelapses etc?
2018-7-4
Use props
fansc22e5336
lvl.3

Norway

I am also wondering if the apps will work with my a7rIII. i guess most of the buyers have sony cameras, so this is not good for the ronin-s. my camera was on the compability list so it better work
2018-7-4
Use props
Drewbacca
  • >>>
United States

fansc22e5336 Posted at 2018-7-4 14:06
I am also wondering if the apps will work with my a7rIII. i guess most of the buyers have sony cameras, so this is not good for the ronin-s. my camera was on the compability list so it better work

The app works, but you won't be able to use all the features the Ronin S is supposed to give you.
2018-7-5
Use props
Drewbacca
  • >>>
United States

Hey everyone, DJI released new firmware for the Mavic yesterday, but they're hard at work on the release issues for the Ronin S (heavily sarcastic).
2018-7-5
Use props
fansc22e5336
lvl.3

Norway

Drewbacca Posted at 2018-7-5 10:20
The app works, but you won't be able to use all the features the Ronin S is supposed to give you.

Will the motion lapse work ?
2018-7-5
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules