Ronin-S & Sony Camera Control
102313 208 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb8991b4a
New

Germany

Hi,

I've got my ronin 3 days ago. They include a mcc-c, mcc-b and IRs Cable. But both of the mcc cables don't work with the Sony a7 III. I've updated both, camera and ronin, but It only says "connecting". Does anyone have an idea why the camera isn't connecting?

Regards,
Daniel
2018-12-21
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

fansb8991b4a Posted at 12-21 09:44
Hi,

I've got my ronin 3 days ago. They include a mcc-c, mcc-b and IRs Cable. But both of the mcc cables don't work with the Sony a7 III. I've updated both, camera and ronin, but It only says "connecting". Does anyone have an idea why the camera isn't connecting?

need another cable. https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-camera-control-cable-multi
2018-12-21
Use props
fansb8991b4a
New

Germany

donskoidenys Posted at 12-21 10:02
need another cable. https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-camera-control-cable-multi

Ah okay thanks, so there is an difference between mcc-c and mcc-multi I guess. Because both of the cable looking except the same.
2018-12-21
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

>Ah okay thanks, so there is an difference between mcc-c and mcc-multi I guess. Because both of the cable looking except the same.
Yes, they are different cables. It is a much better option than the IR cable. But I guess this new one should ideally come in the box already.
2018-12-21
Use props
fans4a0ff7c1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84833475 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-19 01:23
We designed the control method according to the camera manufacturer and will keep updating our products, your feedback has been forwarded to our development team for attention, please note our website about the future release. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Yes same issue. Please fix with new FW. SONY cameras now dominate the market and especially pro market now over Canon. DJI needs to make this a high priority. It’s the reason we buy the Ronin which you advertise as SONY  compatible. This is Not a true statement and is misleading your customers..
2018-12-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans4a0ff7c1 Posted at 12-21 20:25
Yes same issue. Please fix with new FW. SONY cameras now dominate the market and especially pro market now over Canon. DJI needs to make this a high priority. It’s the reason we buy the Ronin which you advertise as SONY  compatible. This is Not a true statement and is misleading your customers..

Hi there, may I verify what issues you are having with Ronin-S cameras? RSS-IR cable can be used with Ronin-S, we have also released the USB Shutter control---Multi-Camera Control Cable (Multi), which will need to be purchased separately, please check the available features in the compatible list: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_List_20181119.pdf Thank you.
2018-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansb8991b4a Posted at 12-21 10:20
Ah okay thanks, so there is an difference between mcc-c and mcc-multi I guess. Because both of the cable looking except the same.

Hi Daniel, thanks for your support to DJI product, donskoidenys is right, if you would like the USB shutter control, you will need to purchase the Multi-Camera Control Cable (Multi) from our online store: https://store.dji.com/product/ro ... ?from=menu_products
Thanks for your understanding.
2018-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

donskoidenys Posted at 12-19 18:55
Hi guys.
I purchase new MCC cable for my Ronin S / Sony A6500 / Sony 18-105.
Start/Stop button work correctly, but unfortunately zoom didnt work, look video https://photos.app.goo.gl/SZYR9wPJ7aJs47WG8

Hi donskoidenys, sorry for the late response, if you need any assistance, please reply to one of my posts so that I can receive the notification and reply timely.
From the firmware v1.6.0.50, we have added the option to set zoom speed for Sony cameras, please update Ronin app to v1.1.6 or later and select the zoom speed in Camera settings of the APP. Thank you.
2018-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

OlivierMELY Posted at 12-20 09:32
Hello,
I've checked and the 2 usb cales I have in my Ronin S box are both angled when the one for the Sony seems to be straight... so I've just ordered one for my Sony.

Hi Olivier, we are so sorry that the Multi-Camera Control Cable (Multi) is required to be purchased separately, please test its performance when you get it and let us know if there is any problem.
2018-12-24
Use props
Dcol
lvl.1
Ireland

Got setup with the A6500 with the 18-105pz with the MCC cable, the zoom function is so slow its unusable, any fixes for this or am I missing something?
2018-12-25
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

Dcol Posted at 12-25 07:37
Got setup with the A6500 with the 18-105pz with the MCC cable, the zoom function is so slow its unusable, any fixes for this or am I missing something?

have some issue, this is global problem. dont work correctly at this time.
2018-12-25
Use props
Dcol
lvl.1
Ireland

donskoidenys Posted at 12-25 13:45
have some issue, this is global problem. dont work correctly at this time.

Well that is annoying!
2018-12-25
Use props
lostinspace
lvl.1
Flight distance : 197 ft
Japan

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-24 01:55
Hi donskoidenys, sorry for the late response, if you need any assistance, please reply to one of my posts so that I can receive the notification and reply timely.
From the firmware v1.6.0.50, we have added the option to set zoom speed for Sony cameras, please update Ronin app to v1.1.6 or later and select the zoom speed in Camera settings of the APP. Thank you.

Mindy,
Thanks for the update.
I have used the Ronin-S on various works, very much want to buy one for myself. However I am a Sony camera shooter, and I have been holding back. I am curious to know if the Electronic Focus via the Ronin-s wheels are going to be possible in the near future. Is that something DJI is working on?
Cheers,
Takeshi
Merry Christmas everyone!
2018-12-25
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

WOW! Dear friends! Have problem with very-very slow not usable electronic zoom? Go to Ronin APP - > Create -> Camera control, and set Zoom Speed to Fast.
Its works for me and I can use zoom now!

Yes, its not ideal and very fast, I cant create smooth-zoom, but it works!
2018-12-25
Use props
donskoidenys
lvl.1
Ukraine

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-24 01:55
Hi donskoidenys, sorry for the late response, if you need any assistance, please reply to one of my posts so that I can receive the notification and reply timely.

Yes! Thanks! It works for me!
2018-12-25
Use props
OlivierMELY
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-24 01:57
Hi Olivier, we are so sorry that the Multi-Camera Control Cable (Multi) is required to be purchased separately, please test its performance when you get it and let us know if there is any problem.

Hi Mindy,
just received my MCC cable today and it's works fine with my Sony A7RIII.

Sadly, only the zoom is available while the main control needed should be the focus... do you know if this function wil lbe released soon in a software update ?
It shouldn't be a big issue, no ?

Besides, it works also quite well with the different Photo's control (Panorama, ...), which is good.

Thanks in advance for your answer !
2018-12-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

donskoidenys Posted at 12-25 16:53
Yes! Thanks! It works for me!

Glad to know it works, have a great time with Ronin-S.
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

OlivierMELY Posted at 12-26 04:35
Hi Mindy,
just received my MCC cable today and it's works fine with my Sony A7RIII.

Hi OlivierMELY, we understand your need and concern and we also hope Focus control is available with Sony, but it seems very hard to achieve since there is no physical port to support Multi-USB.
If you would like the focus control, you may try the Ronin-S Focus Motor: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-focus-motor
We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

lostinspace Posted at 12-25 15:17
Mindy,
Thanks for the update.
I have used the Ronin-S on various works, very much want to buy one for myself. However I am a Sony camera shooter, and I have been holding back. I am curious to know if the Electronic Focus via the Ronin-s wheels are going to be possible in the near future. Is that something DJI is working on?

Hi Takeshi, Happy Holidays, please check my post in 178#, thank you.
2018-12-27
Use props
fans5bce6787
New
Austria

Hi Mindy,

Do you have Info if it is going to be possible to Pull Focus with alpha Series at all?
Cause otherwise I would have to buy the Focus Motor, wich I would not like to, cause it would be unnecessarily spend and its not very practical to use.

Thanks for your Awnser
2018-12-27
Use props
OlivierMELY
lvl.1
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-27 02:32
Hi OlivierMELY, we understand your need and concern and we also hope Focus control is available with Sony, but it seems very hard to achieve since there is no physical port to support Multi-USB.
If you would like the focus control, you may try the Ronin-S Focus Motor: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-focus-motor
We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Mindy,
well, this sounds strange to me as I thought it'll not be a big issue to control the focus via usb instead of through a turning weel... (eletronical way of course)
Definitely I wont' buy such an accessory, I'd prefer to rely on my AF... too bad !
Olivier.

2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

OlivierMELY Posted at 12-27 12:40
Hi Mindy,
well, this sounds strange to me as I thought it'll not be a big issue to control the focus via usb instead of through a turning weel... (eletronical way of course)
Definitely I wont' buy such an accessory, I'd prefer to rely on my AF... too bad !

Pulling focus is not available for Sony series cameras, please note our website of the future update, we really apologize for the inconvenience.
2018-12-28
Use props
marktomaras
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1263 ft
United States

Can I use the USB-C cable to connect my Sony A7R3?  The USB-C cable port is more robust than the Sony multi port, so if possible I would prefer that.  What USB mode do I need to set I the camera to make this work?  thanks!
2019-1-2
Use props
musicwumusic
New
United States

For anyone complaining, Sony is notorious for making everything proprietary and not caring about third party compatibility. For lack of compatibility, I side with DJI.
2019-2-13
Use props
fans5928b3d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1736811 ft
Belgium

donskoidenys Posted at 2018-12-19 18:55
Hi guys.
I purchase new MCC cable for my Ronin S / Sony A6500 / Sony 18-105.
Start/Stop button work correctly, but unfortunately zoom didnt work, look video https://photos.app.goo.gl/SZYR9wPJ7aJs47WG8

Did you find an answer or solution for this issue?
2019-2-25
Use props
tralow1207
lvl.1
Flight distance : 882864 ft
United States

Just figured out how to use the multi cable on the Sony a7iii with the ronin s. Menu. #2 page 5. Click on zoom setting. Turn to on: digital zoom.
image.jpg
2019-3-1
Use props
wayak
New
Spain

is it sure that in a future update the ronin s focus will work for sony cameras?
2019-3-12
Use props
Picolo
lvl.2

Ukraine

Does anybody know will Ronin S with new firmware work with old Sony cameras (a6500/a7s2 etc) or just with a7(r)III?
2019-3-14
Use props
fansfa001129
lvl.1

United States

Picolo Posted at 3-14 07:00
Does anybody know will Ronin S with new firmware work with old Sony cameras (a6500/a7s2 etc) or just with a7(r)III?

The firmware works with my A7rii, I have start/stop ability and the timelapse functions work, my issue currently is getting the focus wheel to focus and not zoom   There doesn't seem to be an option to select it in the ronin app.
2019-3-16
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just bought the Ronin s to work on my sony a99 MKII full frame. Ive  the focus motor and that solves the problem.  Yes its another expense but until sony open up the details on how to interface with the camera, this solution (focus motor) is solid.
2019-3-17
Use props
VincentFerreira
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7493 ft
France

Hello i ve bought the micro usb rss cable, everythings worked then one day the rec control does not work anymore, and i notice that the focus wheel is blinking red now ...
so i have bought a new cable ... still not working ...
I have now the new firmware V18070 and same problem ...
only the ir can control the rec !!!
2019-3-19
Use props
djiuser_NhHvD4LD4sva
lvl.1

Lithuania

HI there!
Please enlight me.
I have paid external 25€ for the Multi Camera Control Cable (Multi), Spare Part 13 in order to control the focus on my Sony A7iii.
I've updated Ronin S to the latest firmware, but getting this error:
"The operation or setting is not available as follows: Zoom Setting Optical Zoom Only"
The only one function which is working - the rec button on gimbal.

2019-3-28
Use props
djiuser_NhHvD4LD4sva
lvl.1

Lithuania

P.S. The lenses are Sony's native - FE 24-105G
2019-3-28
Use props
raphael_bellizzi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 757976 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_NhHvD4LD4sva Posted at 3-28 07:54
HI there!
Please enlight me.
I have paid external 25€ for the Multi Camera Control Cable (Multi), Spare Part 13 in order to control the focus on my Sony A7iii.

The Multi Cable that you buy separately doesn't control Focus. This cable only works for Digital Zoom or Optical Zoom in some lenses.

The cable that came with the Ronin (USB-C) now can control the Focus, but it's so laggy that I don't use it. Besides, with this cable, we loose the Steady Shot and HDMI output.
2019-3-28
Use props
djiuser_NhHvD4LD4sva
lvl.1

Lithuania

raphael_bellizzi Posted at 3-28 10:52
The Multi Cable that you buy separately doesn't control Focus. This cable only works for Digital Zoom or Optical Zoom in some lenses.

The cable that came with the Ronin (USB-C) now can control the Focus, but it's so laggy that I don't use it. Besides, with this cable, we loose the Steady Shot and HDMI output.

So, this cable is useless, It won't give any additional possibilities?
so, probably, I should return it?
2019-3-28
Use props
raphael_bellizzi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 757976 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_NhHvD4LD4sva Posted at 3-28 13:59
So, this cable is useless, It won't give any additional possibilities?
so, probably, I should return it?

This cable is so much reliable than the Infra Red for Timelapses. It also can have the half press record for the Auto Focus and also don't disable the Steady Shot and the HDMI output like the USB-C cable.

I used to have it and I liked more than the IR and USB cables, but the quality of the material is so horrible and it broke and I'll not gonna buy again.
2019-3-29
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

use the IRR cable , and hook up then place the eye of the sensor in front of the IR sensor on the cameras handle, black part
2019-3-31
Use props
gurustump
New
United States

I was excited to hear that we were finally going to be able to pull focus with the Ronin-S on a Sony A7III. I read on other sites that I would need the DJI "Multi" control cable that must be purchased separately in order to make it work. I ordered that and got it today.

As other users in this forum have already said, the Multi cable is NOT the one you need to pull focus. After you have updated to DJI's latest firmware (v. 1.8.0.70), you can control the focus with the USB-C control cable connecting your Ronin-S to your A7III.

To make it work, you must go into the settings on the A7III under "Setup 4" (that's the 4th page under the briefcase-looking icon) and make sure "USB Connection" is set to "PC Remote." You must also make sure that your Focus Mode is set to Manual Focus. I can enter my Focus Mode setting using the C3 button at the top right corner of the back of the A7III, but perhaps you have customized things and moved that settings somewhere else.  In any case, once that's done, you can just plug the cable into the Ronin-S control port and the Sony A7III USB-C port, and the focus wheel will change the focus.

At this point, you will discover that it work abominably badly. There is either a great deal of lag, or Sony's focus internal focus control is expecting input from something more like zoom rocker than a focus wheel. It's not all responsive, in any case. Furthermore, on the lens I'm trying it on (which is admittedly a Rokinon 35mm autofocus, not a Sony branded lens), it apparently thinks the focus range on the lens is significantly less than it is. So I can only focus within a certain limited window. If I reach the edge of that window, I can spin the focus wheel on the Ronin-S until my fingers fall off, but it doesn't keep pulling the focus any farther on the lens.

All that might be because Sony set up their internal auto focus mechanism in a way that was expecting something more like input from a zoom rocker than from a focus wheel. Or they may have made assumptions about how long the pull on a lens might be, perhaps to prevent the system from trying to continue turning the physical focus element when it had already reached its limit. That seems preposterous to me, though, since the A7III's auto focus manages to go to the extremes of the lens' limits without a problem. The point is that the problem might be with Sony's implementation of outside control of internal focusing, and not with DJI's attempts to interface with it. Sony seems pretty notorious for not caring at all about 3rd party products or making it so that outside developers can build products to interact with Sony products.

On the other hand, maybe DJI just pushed out a firmware update that is not at all mature just so they could keep the promise of their marketing materials that suggested that the Ronin-S could control focus on Sony cameras. Got me.

If you, like me, did buy the DJI "Multi" control cable for your Sony camera, it might not be wholly useless to you. With that cable, you can control starting and stopping recording with your Ronin-S (this also works with the USB-C cable, so no reason to organize a parade over it). The one thing the Multi cable seems to be able to do that the USB-C cable cannot is to force an attempt to reset the autofocus. If you half press the record button on the Ronin-S while your "Multi" control cable is connected to your A7III, it acts the same as a back focus press or a half press of the shutter release. If you find that the autofocus is guessing wrong during a shot but you don't want to try to switch to manual and focus on the lens barrel, you can try just half-pressing the record button on your Ronin-S. Maybe you'll get lucky and the autofocus will find the subject you're trying to focus on. This function does not appear to work with the USB-C cable. Unfortunately, if you touch your focus wheel while connected to your A7III with the "Multi" cable, it will attempt to zoom the lens. If you happen to have a prime lens mounted, your display will get covered with a message that says the zoom function isn't available, and that message will stay until you physically dismiss it by pressing the "Center Button" on the camera.

I would recommend giving up hope of using the Ronin-S to pull focus with a Sony camera, unless you purchase the focus motor and some lens gears. Perhaps things will improve in future update, but for the time being, this thing just doesn't work.

Ideally, DJI will go back to the drawing board and hopefully work things out so that focus control will work with the "Multi" cable instead of zoom (or that you'll be able to select which one you want using the DJI app). Hopefully they'll also figure out how to make focus pulling highly responsive, and so that it will pull through the entire available range on the lens. In the meantime, I'm taking the focus wheel off my Ronin-S and putting it back in the box.
2019-4-5
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please help, I can't get the IR or USB-C of the A7 III to control the shutter for photos.  It can record video start/stop with No problem though!!
2019-7-17
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU Posted at 2018-7-5 14:21
I'm using the a7RIII, and all the apps are working.  This is with the 1.2.0.10 firmware update, and the IR control cable.  This is still a pretty touchy setup but seems okay.  Yesterday I was shooting outdoor panoramas, which requires 12 automatic shutter actuations.

I cannot get it to control the shutter w/ the latest 3.01 firmware and latest Ronin-S firmware..  It can control the video though.  What did you do?
2019-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules