Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
National Park flying experience - Death Valley
7114 17 2018-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tyronn
lvl.1
Australia

Hi,

After any advice from those who may have flown in Death Valley

I know it is a no fly zone but if one was to go out very early and very late could they avoid trouble?

Also, will the software allow the drone to take off or simply not move.

cheers

2018-6-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

If you are talking about Death Valley National Park in California, just over Nevada border to west; I would strongly advise not too.

If you takeoff from outside National Park, flyover National Park, then land outside National Park AND you the pilot never step foot inside Park boundary; you might not get hassled about it.

Don't think for a minute there is not a National Park Ranger lurking nearby.
2018-6-13
Use props
tyronn
lvl.1
Australia

okay wow, but what about at sunrise and sunset??   I am not sure I have enough battery to fly from Nevada to Mesquite dunes?
2018-6-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

It's a NFZ for a reason. We all try to follow the rules, so should you. This is one of the many reason the restrictions are tighten because of folks looking for a way to break the rules. Sunset or sunrise, crowded or not stop trying to justify flying in a NFZ.  JUST DON'T DO IT.
2018-6-13
Use props
tyronn
lvl.1
Australia

It's a ridiculous rule and one that needs to be broken IMO. Happy to wear consequences as I think I will be fine. What harm can possibly happen in a desert?  Talk about nanny state.
2018-6-13
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Be careful to fly around NFZ. Your drone may not want to pass the ZFZ border depends on NFZ type. If there is NFZ between the drone and home point the RTH may not work and it won’t come back when disconnected.
2018-6-13
Use props
tyronn
lvl.1
Australia

have never used the fly home but thanks for heads up
2018-6-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tyronn Posted at 2018-6-13 22:40

Can't wait to see the footage - if the drone even takes off in a geo fenced NFZ.
2018-6-14
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

tyronn Posted at 2018-6-13 22:40

Death Valley is not in a restricted fly zone, DJI will not stop you from flying there, it will simply ask for confirmation that you know you are in an enhanced warning zone (just tick it off) you however can not take off and/or land within the boundaries of the national park. I have flown many times over National Parks/Forests and never had a problem. Once I even had a park ranger tell me I could not take off from where I was going to and told me if I went to the field on the other side of the street (not federal property) he was fine with it.

2018-6-14
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't, don't, don't.....
2018-6-14
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

tyronn Posted at 2018-6-13 22:00
It's a ridiculous rule and one that needs to be broken IMO. Happy to wear consequences as I think I will be fine. What harm can possibly happen in a desert?  Talk about nanny state.

Doesn't matter how ridiculous you think a rule may be.  It's there for a reason.  BTW, when you're driving, be sure to follow the rule to keep to the right of the yellow line.
If you're not going to be flying in the National Park, check with the NP head ranger to see if she/he has any suggestions.   
2018-6-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-14 01:21
Death Valley is not in a restricted fly zone, DJI will not stop you from flying there, it will simply ask for confirmation that you know you are in an enhanced warning zone (just tick it off) you however can not take off and/or land within the boundaries of the national park. I have flown many times over National Parks/Forests and never had a problem. Once I even had a park ranger tell me I could not take off from where I was going to and told me if I went to the field on the other side of the street (not federal property) he was fine with it.

[view_image]

Say you were to take off from within the park without permission and a Ranger caught you do you know what the consequences are?
2018-6-14
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-14 04:09
Say you were to take off from within the park without permission and a Ranger caught you do you know what the consequences are?

1. They could prosecute and confiscate your drone and equipment (as evidence until trial) 2. simply issue a citation and fine. 3. Just tell you that you are flying illegally and tell you to leave. All depends on the Ranger. It is really not worth taking the chance.
2018-6-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-6-14 04:14
1. They could prosecute and confiscate your drone and equipment (as evidence until trial) 2. simply issue a citation and fine. 3. Just tell you that you are flying illegally and tell you to leave. All depends on the Ranger. It is really not worth taking the chance.

Same as national trust areas in the UK by the sound if it. I guess the fine will be quite substantial too.
2018-6-14
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

tyronn Posted at 2018-6-13 22:00

"Happy to wear the consequences..."

The consequences are as follows:   "Violation of the ban is a misdemeanor with the maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine."

As absurd as the rule is, it is still a rule.  Don't be 'that guy' that doesn't give a crap about the rules, and decides it's OK to break the ones you don't agree with.  If you are going to fly over a National Park, be sure to take off and land outside of the park, and make sure you never set foot in the park while flying.

That will keep you within the current rules, as long as all other rules are followed.  
I'm sure the footage would be spectacular, but personally, I don't think it's worth the risk. - to yourself or the community at large.
Edit:  
This from the DeathValley rules and regs website:  https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/m ... sthatrequireapermit

scroll up 1 paragraph from that link, and you'll see the following:
(a)(2) The following are designated areas, conditions, and restrictions on activities as established by the superintendent:
  • Unmanned Aircraft (Drones, Quadcopters, and Model Aircraft): Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Death Valley National Park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.
    The term “unmanned aircraft” means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, and drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.
    These conditions have been established for visitor safety and resource protection.

So if you really want to fly, do it the right way, and ask the Superintendent for permission.  You may be lucky and get it.  Show them the proper respect, and you may be allowed to fly.  This would also keep you within the rules, and not labled as a rogue pilot giving the entire community a bad name.

2018-6-14
Use props
Rieder73
Denmark

Why fly in a no fly zone? There are plenty of room elsewhere in the Nevada desert where you can fly. Respect the laws and stop making it harder for other drone users...
2019-8-13
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer
United States

Rieder73 Posted at 8-13 22:08
Why fly in a no fly zone? There are plenty of room elsewhere in the Nevada desert where you can fly. Respect the laws and stop making it harder for other drone users...

As QuadKid correctly pointed out, it isn't a no-fly zone.
2019-8-15
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Usually NFZ regions cannot gain entry and the drone will reach a geofence barrier to entry.
2019-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules