Spark uk range
2772 16 2018-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hexbugspider
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi everyone, My names Nick and im 13 years old.

I've wanted a spark since day one but I didn't have the money, now that i've got some money from my job i'd like to consider buying one. I've heard some people saying that they can't push their spark over 250m is this true? I'll be buying the fly more package so I'll have the controller. Is it possible to extend the range by installing a modded dji go 4 app? I watched a video and it says it simply changes the region of your drone which puts it into fcc mode while apparently enables it to fly much furthur. But then I've also haerd people saying that the uk/eu version of the fly more combo comes packaged with a weaker controller purposely to support these rules? I'd like some clarification please as I dont want to drop £600 on a drone that can't fly more than 250m

thanks
-Nick
2018-6-14
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Also what ghz would be best to use with the otg cable?
2018-6-14
Use props
munchausen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 890217 ft

Hi Nick,

Spark is able to fly more than 250m, but as a new user don't start with such expectation. You will be happy to start with 10-50-100m for the first flights, and as you learn more you gain confidence you will fly further. If you follow this forum you'll see that first time users not reading the manual and not understanding the capabilities are loosing their drones in the first days.
There are so many small details to look at, understand and be control of, that you want to start with small steps.
You will also realise that 250m is quite a lot already. Gain confidence first, don't loose this amazing gadget before you know what you are doing with it. Definitely buy the combo with RC, make sure you have a supported phone and you'll be fine.

Cheers
2018-6-14
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

If you want better range buy a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro.

How come u are 13yrs and have a Job ?

Child Worker in UK ?
2018-6-14
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-14 05:39
If you want better range buy a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro.

How come u are 13yrs and have a Job ?

Haha I work as a paper boy for my local corner shop
2018-6-14
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

United Kingdom

munchausen Posted at 2018-6-14 05:22
Hi Nick,

Spark is able to fly more than 250m, but as a new user don't start with such expectation. You will be happy to start with 10-50-100m for the first flights, and as you learn more you gain confidence you will fly further. If you follow this forum you'll see that first time users not reading the manual and not understanding the capabilities are loosing their drones in the first days.

I know I just wanted to know the max range limit and what GHz to run it on.
2018-6-14
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

hexbugspider Posted at 2018-6-14 07:54
Haha I work as a paper boy for my local corner shop

Save a little more money and buy a Mavic Air, you will better off that a Spark Brother !

Goodluck Mate ! May your Wishes come true !
2018-6-14
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-14 07:56
Save a little more money and buy a Mavic Air, you will better off that a Spark Brother !

Goodluck Mate ! May your Wishes come true !

My dad won't allow me to spend over 600 for a drone Btw what GHz would you recommend flying the spark on? I also do have previous drone experiences like I own two racing fpv drones.

2018-6-14
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

hexbugspider Posted at 2018-6-14 08:31
My dad won't allow me to spend over 600 for a drone  Btw what GHz would you recommend flying the spark on? I also do have previous drone experiences like I own two racing fpv drones.

Well done Mate !

Many in Europe use 2.4GHz as 5.8GHz won't give you much power in CE Mode.

I will post some Information for you to help you understand difference between FCC and CE Mode.

2018-6-14
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

From my other posts -

I read that in FCC mode there isnt so much difference between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz.

In EC mode there is a lot although the db Power Gap seems small its actually about x4 as much more in FCC.

DJI Spark range settings (taken from the DJI website):

2.412 – 2.462 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.3 mi (500 m)

5.745 – 5.825 GHz (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 1.2 mi (2 km); CE: 0.18 mi (300 m)

If you have 1-13 Channels you are EC, if you have 1-11 Channels you are FCC mode. These are the 2.4GHz.

I read also -

2.4GHz best for long distance as Wave is LONG WAVE (Long Distance Eg. Repeaters)

5.8GHz best for short distance as Wave is SHORT WAVE (Under 200m Range Eg. Indoor Wifi)

The other problem we have in EU is that 2.4GHz has a lot of traffic and the 5.8GHz is not supported a lot like in the US.

Technically I am not an expert, and sometimes these things make it a bit complicated for Beginners like me.

2018-6-14
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

From my other posts -

Also this may help you -

The transmitter power is the same for both. Antennas and encoding make the difference.

The specs say: Spark:

Transmitter Power (EIRP)        

2.4 GHz
FCC: ≤26 dBm; CE: ≤18 dBm; SRCC: ≤18 dBm; MIC: ≤18 dBm

5.8 GHz
FCC: ≤28 dBm; CE: ≤14 dBm; SRCC: ≤26 dBm; MIC: -

The dBm in CE is ridiculous !
The dBm between FCC and CE at 2.4GHz is 8dBm that makes a difference from EC - 500m to FCC - 2000m range.
The dBm between FCC and CE at 5.8GHz is 14dBm that makes a difference from EC - 300m to FCC -  2000m range.

2018-6-14
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-14 08:55
From my other posts -

Also this may help you -

Thanks alot! I heard of a hack where you trick the dgi app into thinking it's in America which puts it into FCC mode
2018-6-14
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

hexbugspider Posted at 2018-6-14 13:03
Thanks alot! I heard of a hack where you trick the dgi app into thinking it's in America which puts it into FCC mode

yep the FCC hack , OTG cable and parabolic reflectors will get you out further , but still not very far in a congested built up area.

best thing is to treat the spark like a selfie cam until you get some experience under your belt.

low dji spark experience ,long distance and sports mode is a fly away waiting to happen
2018-6-14
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

m1n1s Posted at 2018-6-14 13:11
yep the FCC hack , OTG cable and parabolic reflectors will get you out further , but still not very far in a congested built up area.

best thing is to treat the spark like a selfie cam until you get some experience under your belt.

Alright, im not planning on taking the spark very far anyways I just wanted to know how far it could go. Mostly gonna be used to record me sailing
2018-6-14
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

hexbugspider Posted at 2018-6-14 13:13
Alright, im not planning on taking the spark very far anyways I just wanted to know how far it could go. Mostly gonna be used to record me sailing

oh did I forget to mention that the spark can be a bit naughty over water
2018-6-15
Use props
hexbugspider
lvl.2

United Kingdom

m1n1s Posted at 2018-6-15 04:07
oh did I forget to mention that the spark can be a bit naughty over water

u wot m8 what does "naughty" mean xD rawr
2018-6-15
Use props
SotirisT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 708448 ft
Greece

As far as I am concerned and given your "limitations" I thing that Spark is the way to go. Even compared to Air, differences are marginal.

Go 4 it hexbugspider  !
2018-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules