Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focusing in P4Pro v 2.0
404 17 2018-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TommyGa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 222828 ft
  • >>>
United States

It seems that the P4Pro v 2.0 doesn't focus as well in low light as my prior P4P 1.0.   I used to be able to leave it in AFC at dusk and there was no issue, but on the 2.0 I pretty much have to enter manual focus and set it to infinity if I don't want the video slightly blurry.  Anyone else notice this?

Also, the compass calibration seems different. Now you rotate it and then have to turn it on its side and rotate it again. It seems very, very difficult to get it to accept a calibration as well - much more difficult than my prior P4P v 1.0. The C2 and dial rotate also does not work on gimbal adjustment in the P4P v 2.0.

Wondering if anyone is noticing that as well.

Thanks people - hopefully the SDK will be released soon so I can use Litchi.....
2018-6-14
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

the compass calibration seems different. Now you rotate it and then have to turn it on its side and rotate it again. It seems very, very difficult to get it to accept a calibration as well - much more difficult than my prior P4P v 1.0
Why would you be trying to calibrate the compass?
Read the manual to see what it says about when you need to calibrate it.

I still haven't calibrated the compass on my P4 pro and I've had it a year and a half.

2018-6-14
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-14 05:44
the compass calibration seems different. Now you rotate it and then have to turn it on its side and rotate it again. It seems very, very difficult to get it to accept a calibration as well - much more difficult than my prior P4P v 1.0
Why would you be trying to calibrate the compass?
Read the manual to see what it says about when you need to calibrate it.

I was trying to calibrate it because I notice it isn't flying perfectly straight when I do an RTH. I have grid lines and diagonals set up when I fly, and if I RTH, it doesn't seem to be flying exactly towards the center point. I thought maybe a solid compass calibration would help that.

And, to answer your question directly, DJI told me explicitly that I should do a compass calibration to see if it helps with this issue.
2018-6-14
Use props
Brantel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241010 ft
United States

The C2 and dial rotate also does not work on gimbal adjustment in the P4P v 2.0.

While i have other issues with the compass and the compass sensor status page, my C2 button and gimbal dial work fine with my 2.0.  

Can you clarify your statement about those?
2018-6-14
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-14 06:00
The C2 and dial rotate also does not work on gimbal adjustment in the P4P v 2.0.

On my older P4P 1.0, I used to be able to long press the C2 button and use the camera dial to level the gimbal. That function doesn't seem to be present in the P4P 2.0....

What issues are you having with the compass?
2018-6-14
Use props
Brantel
Second Officer
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-6-14 06:07
On my older P4P 1.0, I used to be able to long press the C2 button and use the camera dial to level the gimbal. That function doesn't seem to be present in the P4P 2.0....

What issues are you having with the compass?

I have tried 2 brand new P4P 2.0 and both had the same issue.

Frequent  "Warning: Compass Redundancy Switch" messages and the compass sensor status screen shows this (iOS screen shot):

Another guy also reported the same thing.  I am on iOS and he is on Android.  I tried my drone with Android and my compass status screen said the same as his (Android Screen Shot):

The first drone I tried, I recalibrated the compass a dozen times successfully.  Tried many locations and even out in the middle of a 100 acre field.  No help.  Swapped it for a new one.
The second one does the same thing.  I did not recalibrate it, I just pulled it out of the box and flew it.

Both drones flew/fly like a dream with no obvious issues.  The status lights on the drone are normal at all times.  DJI support has looked at the logs and can't find anything wrong other than the errors.  I have been told to wait for new firmware that is due out soon.
2018-6-14
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-14 10:20
I have tried 2 brand new P4P 2.0 and both had the same issue.

Frequent  "Warning: Compass Redundancy Switch" messages and the compass sensor status screen shows this (iOS screen shot):

I bet there are some firmware issues with the compass. Even in the middle of nowhere, I'm having difficulties trying to calibrate the compass. I wonder if this is related to the step of turning the drone sideways during the compass dance instead of downwards....
2018-6-14
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

I have v2.0 of the P4P and have not experienced any issues with the compass. Current firmware, too. I wonder if you're trying to launch in an industrial area with a lot of metal buildings?
2018-6-14
Use props
Brantel
Second Officer
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-6-14 10:46
I bet there are some firmware issues with the compass. Even in the middle of nowhere, I'm having difficulties trying to calibrate the compass. I wonder if this is related to the step of turning the drone sideways during the compass dance instead of downwards....

I have read elsewhere that the manual and the directions on the app do not agree on how to hold the drone while rotating.  Same thing for the Mavic Air.

The comments said that DJI has confirmed it does not matter that both methods work.  The key is the change in plane not necessarily if the nose is pointed sideways or down.

2018-6-14
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

In the manual, the calibration is actually diagrammed differently than the app. Good point that DJI confirmed both ways work, but kind of shoddy to have the app contradict the manual. I'll do it the way I'm used to with the second stage of it facing camera-down. That always worked well on my old P4P v1.   
2018-6-14
Use props
paul2660
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

TommyGa Posted at 2018-6-14 11:18
In the manual, the calibration is actually diagrammed differently than the app. Good point that DJI confirmed both ways work, but kind of shoddy to have the app contradict the manual. I'll do it the way I'm used to with the second stage of it facing camera-down. That always worked well on my old P4P v1.

I was able to calibrate my Vr 2.o with the compass pointed down, like the older P4 Pro.  I missed the fact that the app was asking to point it sideways.  Anyway, pointed down, it did calibrate OK.  

I assume from reading on this post, that DJI is implying it's OK to point downwards on the second calibration step.  

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

To the op u are supposed to calibrate compass like that! i mean what other way were u doing it? You should not have to calibrate unless app asks you too...also yes i was that guy with the weird generic message about the compass needing to be plugged in....turns out it is just a bug as i suspected because the latest go 4 for android seems to have fixed it. Now i can see my compass values for preflight.
2018-6-14
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
Second Officer
  • >>>

Im sorry let me clarify i have always done compass cal with craft facing camera down. not on its side on second leg of calibration
2018-6-14
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

TommyGa Posted at 2018-6-14 05:54
I was trying to calibrate it because I notice it isn't flying perfectly straight when I do an RTH. I have grid lines and diagonals set up when I fly, and if I RTH, it doesn't seem to be flying exactly towards the center point. I thought maybe a solid compass calibration would help that.

And, to answer your question directly, DJI told me explicitly that I should do a compass calibration to see if it helps with this issue.

What you observe here most likely sound like your camera is not pointing straight forward more than a issues with the compass, a very annoying issue that has spoiled a lot of recordings for me when the aircraft fly off what seem to be straight ahead (4P v.1). Also it is near impossible to fly sideways following a straight line as it would be going for- or backward when view is lined up perfect.

Take a close look from above the aircraft and notice the camera position, even the smallest deviation from straight ahead would give the symptoms you have observed.
2018-6-14
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-14 22:01
What you observe here most likely sound like your camera is not pointing straight forward more than a issues with the compass, a very annoying issue that has spoiled a lot of recordings for me when the aircraft fly off what seem to be straight ahead (4P v.1). Also it is near impossible to fly sideways following a straight line as it would be going for- or backward when view is lined up perfect.

Take a close look from above the aircraft and notice the camera position, even the smallest deviation from straight ahead would give the symptoms you have observed.

Thanks KedDK. I will go ahead and look. It did seem straight the last time I looked at it. Just for the sake of it, I'll later do a full on IMU calibration, shut it off, restart it, then do a gimbal calibration.

The one thing I can say, however, is that DJI fixed the crooked horizon issue. The horizon is so much better than it used to be a year or so ago on their Phantoms. I'm glad they finally got that sorted out.
2018-6-15
Use props
Brantel
Second Officer
United States

Update... I decided to return the second drone to the dealer and brought home another brand new one.  Took it out of the box and activated it and then flew it.  No issues were found with the compass sensor status page, I get the normal sensor numbers, not seeing any compass redundancy switch messages and not seeing any warnings that the primary compass has failed/switch to ATTI mode if the craft acts weird.

I am not claiming victory yet till I get some more time on her but I am optimistic that the third drone is a charm!
2018-6-15
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
Second Officer
  • >>>

Well like i said dji go updated a few days ago....fixed the whole compass message troubles.... so you probably downloaded the newest version when you got this third aircraft so your second aircraft was probably okay
2018-6-15
Use props
Brantel
Second Officer
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-6-15 13:25
Well like i said dji go updated a few days ago....fixed the whole compass message troubles.... so you probably downloaded the newest version when you got this third aircraft so your second aircraft was probably okay

Nope, I downloaded the app update yesterday and still had the exact same issues with the 2nd drone.....I ran 3batteries thru it with the latest app hoping it would solve it but the issue remained.  That is what pushed me over the edge to swap it out for a third one.
2018-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules