Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus for still images
935 9 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kruppa
lvl.1
United States

I have phantom 4 pro version 2. Video focus is fine. Focus for still images is fuzzy. Have set to atuo focus, set the focus point. tried changeing aperture to f11 to eliminate depth of field issues. Photos are still fuzzy.

2018-6-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi and thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we do apologize if you are having issues about focusing on a still image. May we a have a sample photo that you are referring to?
2018-6-15
Use props
Lou-Ney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137500 ft
United Kingdom

I'm having this same issue, plus I have a weird black mark that at first I thought was the rotor however it has been getting darker.
2018-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lou-Ney Posted at 2018-6-15 13:53
I'm having this same issue, plus I have a weird black mark that at first I thought was the rotor however it has been getting darker. [view_image]

How about a sample image where it's possible to see if it's focused.
Something well lit with sharp detail - not a bunch of leaves and grass.
If that black mark is in every image, that's not normal and is a problem that needs to be fixed.
2018-6-15
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

That black mark could be something behind the outer lens suggest unscrewing it and give it a clean
2018-6-15
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

The Phantom will do best in the aperture range of F 2.8 to F 4.5, 5.6.  F11, way to small and will have diffraction issues.  Diffraction = softness.

If you are shooting jpgs, you need to add sharpening to the process, you have 0, +1, +2 +3 for settings, I would at least have +1 maybe +2.  

Personally, I would recommend raw, a bit more work, but much much more leeway with the files, especially the sharpening.  Jpg all processing is being done by the processor on the drone.   These just so much more room for raw/dng in post processing.

Also, focusing.  I will use AF to hit a spot in the distance to set my focus, then move to MF an stay there.  

DJIGO4 with the Mavic (I understand this is Phantom) will sometimes attempt to refocus on hover.  If the drone picks sky, it' won't lock and will odds are be out of focus.  Not sure if the Phantom does this also, but no reason to stay on AF, once you have a lock and have focus.  

You can also supposedly half press the shutter button the controller to get a zoom feature, I have not tried it.

Paul Caldwell
2018-6-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-15 20:35
The Phantom will do best in the aperture range of F 2.8 to F 4.5, 5.6.  F11, way to small and will have diffraction issues.  Diffraction = softness.

If you are shooting jpgs, you need to add sharpening to the process, you have 0, +1, +2 +3 for settings, I would at least have +1 maybe +2.  

You can also supposedly half press the shutter button the controller to get a zoom feature, I have not tried it.

Yes, you can when in Still mode, it focuses too when half pressed
2018-6-15
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
South Korea

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-6-15 15:07
That black mark could be something behind the outer lens suggest unscrewing it and give it a clean

I agree, its prob lint or something on the glass
2018-6-15
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

I second the notion of shooting with RAW. While it is a bit more work the quality of the images you’ll be producing will be astonishing. You get so much more control. I’ve been shooting RAW for many years with my DSLRs and will never go back to JPEG. I liken RAW images or digital negatives where the photographer has full control of almost every aspect of the image. Almost an art form at times.
2018-6-16
Use props
Kruppa
lvl.1
United States

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-6-16 19:06
I second the notion of shooting with RAW. While it is a bit more work the quality of the images you’ll be producing will be astonishing. You get so much more control. I’ve been shooting RAW for many years with my DSLRs and will never go back to JPEG. I liken RAW images or digital negatives where the photographer has full control of almost every aspect of the image. Almost an art form at times.

Thank you for the suggestions I will try them today. I have been shooting in raw. Will change the f-stop range.
2018-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules