Looking to Upgrade my Android Phone. Advice?
1313 14 2018-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MeatWagon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 415630 ft
United States

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my dieing Droid Turbo 2 and I'm having a hell of a time deciding on which android device to get because the list of "supported" devices on dji's website is full of phones that are years old at this point. I am looking at the Google Pixel 2/2 XL, the Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ and the Galaxy Note 8. Thats the shortlist of possible devices I am considering.

Does anyone have any recent experience with any of these devices? Not a single one of them is "supported" by DJI (which I find both hilarious and depressing)... it's not like im trying to buy a phone nobody has ever heard of.... also If you have any other suggestions for newer android phones that work well I'll consider them. The use of the drone is of course not the main consideration for which phone I am going to buy but it is a major one. My droid turbo 2 really does not work well for flying the drone so there isn't much of a "plan B" device if the one I get doesn't work. I figured I would ask this because a lot of the discussions on this topic are a bit out of date at this point.

2018-6-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. Please see all the supported and tested device for Spark. Hope this will help you decide which device you will buy.

2018-6-15
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-6-15 16:01
Hello. Please see all the supported and tested device for Spark. Hope this will help you decide which device you will buy.

[view_image]

Thanks for your reply Natalia. The point of my post is to find out which android phones that AREN'T years old will work with the spark.

The newest Samsung or Google phone on that list was released over a year ago! I can understand not supporting phones that were just released a month ago or something but this is a bit silly. The current generations of many of these devices have been on the market for quite a while. DJI's list of supported android phones are a bit dated.

I love my spark a lot but it is not the only thing I'm considering when I'm buying a new phone. It is very disappointing that DJI is putting me in the position of choosing between having a decent android phone and being able to use my spark. Or even worse, buying a new phone and having it work fine with the spark for a while and then being broken by an update.

I'm more interested in user experiences with the above mentioned devices because DJI's list of supported devices is insufficient.
2018-6-15
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

the phone needs at least  minimum of 2 gigs of ram or better. Most of the newer phones with 'Android should work. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 and and S7 edge for my spark. I seem to recall some having problesm with the Pixel.
2018-6-15
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2

stuka75 Posted at 2018-6-15 17:32
the phone needs at least  minimum of 2 gigs of ram or better. Most of the newer phones with 'Android should work. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 and and S7 edge for my spark. I seem to recall some having problesm with the Pixel.

I've also heard that about the Pixel 2. It's a shame too because that was the one I was the most enthusiastic about. I may go with the S9+... I've heard tales that it works as intended with DJI GO 4. I have 2 weeks to return the phone if it doesn't work though so maybe I'll pick up the pixel 2 and try it out and see if it works. If it doesn't I can just take it back and get an S9.
2018-6-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Maybe this list helps:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18
2018-6-15
Use props
SparkSkark2018
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25118 ft

I'm currently using the Pixel 2 without any problems.
2018-6-15
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

im using Samsung Note 5 without any problems and it is not listed either. Just ensure you have minimum 3 GB RAM in your mobile device.
2018-6-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S8 is currently the best phone until they make the S9 compatible  
2018-6-16
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2

picking up the S9+ today. will let you all know whether it works or not and if I have any problems. Thanks for all the input!
2018-6-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MeatWagon Posted at 2018-6-16 13:13
picking up the S9+ today. will let you all know whether it works or not and if I have any problems. Thanks for all the input!

Good choice - even if it doesn't work too well now it will soon enough.
2018-6-16
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2

A CW Posted at 2018-6-16 13:14
Good choice - even if it doesn't work too well now it will soon enough.

So I had no trouble connecting the phone to the remote using wifi and got a good video feed from the spark. This was inside though without actually flying so more testing is required. I tried with the OTG adapter supplied with the phone and that did not work. However, I expected as much since the OTG adapter supplied with the phone is the wrong way around. The phone is trying to charge the remote which tells me that the phone is acting as the master instead of the slave.

I'll have to get an OTG adapter with a micro usb master end and a standard USB slave end in order for this to have a chance of working.  Will let you all know if I can get the OTG working as well as that would be a huge bonus!

Note for the Moderators: for the record I know the spark does not officially support OTG. This is for testing purposes.
2018-6-16
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-6-15 19:13
im using Samsung Note 5 without any problems and it is not listed either. Just ensure you have minimum 3 GB RAM in your mobile device.

My $70 AU ZTE phone works with 1 GB of ram - no memory problems with the DJI Go app & plenty to spare with no other apps loaded etc.

Check if any apps are running in the background  & close excess services via developer mode.  Log into DJI Go, then before flying switch to airplane mode on the device to reduce interference & /or delays from apps & the phone tower connection (maybe?).  

Enjoy. Happy Flying!
2018-6-17
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
United Kingdom

Sparkz71 Posted at 2018-6-17 06:14
My $70 AU ZTE phone works with 1 GB of ram - no memory problems with the DJI Go app & plenty to spare with no other apps loaded etc.

Check if any apps are running in the background  & close excess services via developer mode.  Log into DJI Go, then before flying switch to airplane mode on the device to reduce interference & /or delays from apps & the phone tower connection (maybe?).  

1 GB is not enough to fly the SPARK. You are asking for trouble just like  Germany asking for trouble with their attitude towards Mexico-
2018-6-17
Use props
MeatWagon
lvl.2

Tested with a new otg  cable and everything is working well. No lag, pixelation, crashes ect. The only thing that I found that seemed to be off was that you cant change the ev setting when the camera is in auto mode. Odd.... but I use manual mode most of the time and those all seem to work. Also tested the wifi  link to the controller and it also seemed pretty smooth but not as nice as the cable. Overall it seems the galaxy s9+ is go for launch... at least for now!

Thank you all for your help and input.
2018-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules